Search Unity

Wish: An actual.. Super... Trail Renderer

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by andreasng_pd, Jan 27, 2015.

1. andreasng_pd

andreasng_pd

I've searched high and low, but sadly no one has actually made a trail renderer that can do what a trail renderer is actually supposed to do! That's pretty subjective I know, but still. o_O

I found this (the C# one at the bottom):
    http://wiki.unity3d.com/index.php?title=TimeBasedTrailRenderer

It is pretty good but a couple of things is missing:
    • Textures(uvs) stay put ( the texture will start to float away on the generated mesh, if the trail is "too long") - (It seems that once it start destroying old segments, the uvs starts to pop/jitter)
    • Exhaust movement! So everytime a segment is created at the exhaust point, that segment will shoot out in the opposite direction of the exhaust, slowly coming to a halt because wind resistance.
    • Good to have: Wind/Turbulence. So a segment is created every few meters in a jet stream, and that segment would really benefit from moving in a wind direction, or move around randomly as in turbulence... or even check if a probe is near to disturb its position (but that is like: wow relax right?)
    Aaaaanyway. The first two seems to be pretty basic, and I ponder why no one has actually implemented these, since it would be pretty darn cool but also... especially the first one... would make the trail renderer (in general) actual usable. Sliding uvs degrades a trail renderers usability to only be sufficient for blade swings, and bullet trajectories.

I cant code stuff like this, sadly, it is quite a bit above my synaptic capabilities. However I am not prevented from wishing for it. Wink Wink. If anyone ever wanted to make a ... Super Trail Renderer... this was my humble wishlist.

sincerely andreasng