Search Unity

WireMesh 3D Character Needed (pre-Art). Accuracy needed for game mechanics.

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Deleted User, May 24, 2018.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hello forumers,

I am in need of a good, solid wiremesh that will be the pre-cursor to real game art that follows. The mesh can be as basic or high poly as you like but its dimensions must be equivalent to the game character(s). Some problems to think about first:

1) Creating the mesh means creating the first character as the most accurate way to test GamePlay Mechanics is that correct?

2) I am assuming in Blender, 3DS Max or Maya a 'hollow' of the character can be created meaning no detail just his polygon states at its most basic (wiremesh?) and export that?

Is this the most accurate way? Remember game mechanics need accuracy.

3) If i take a generic wiremesh, good as that may be for 60% of the tests, if it does not represent the final character in game, then it will have a knock on effect of accuracy in game mechanics.

Real World Games Industry Designers are particularly sought for in this thread.*

Thanks

---

* Owe you a coffee :D

2. Deleted User

Deleted User

Sorry it seems like this thread is better suited in Game Design forum, but it is an art & animation question is it not?

3. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

If the only reason you want a rough character creation (not called a wire mesh by the way) just use any freely available character. The character can be close to the size/dimensions you need for a player character. Nearly all player characters are 'about' the same size, roughly 6 feet tall or 1.82 meters.
    As long as the height, width of the shoulders, and height of the hips/root node is the same, most (95%) of character controller mechanics can be created and tuned.
    Animations are needed, but if this is only for tuning and creating mechanics - I'd suggest using a free model until an artist that you hire through Unity Connect or other avenue, can be created.
    Accuracy is vague. :) Mechanics can be created with a simple bone structure with cylinder/box meshes, with accompanying animations. The most accurate process would be to have a programmer working on mechanics in conjunction with an artist creating the animations needed, OR solo dev creating the mechanics while also creating/revising the animations needed for those mechanics.
    I'd say no to this assumption, because the character dimensions are important, and if the character can be very close to the final size (all humanoid characters are roughly the same size) then 90-95% of the mechanics can be created, with limited/little editing to them after the final character is complete.

4. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hello animator2b

Thank you for the comments.

Hopefully I wont be too pedantic on forums. It is a rough character creation (without a doubt). The asset going in however needs to be a wiremesh. Tradionally they were always called that. A rough character creation can be anything (concept art? colour scheme? A head? Arm? Belt? Gun or props in various poses. Wire-meshing it signifies its pure 3D.

The asset store does come up with 3d wiremeshes as you said correctly before final artist hire. This is the intended route so kudos for that.

Character models being the same size is a good reminder. Hip and Shoulder/root nodes is a good tip. Because you can have bodybuilders at 6ft or skinny drought stricken types. In game there is a big difference in looks between both which impacts "look and feel" of early concepts.

Wiremesh collisions boxes take up much more programming cpu time, unlike sphere box collisions or capsule collisions in unity which are quicker. Hence the final wiremesh poly in 3D is crucial. Especially when it comes to optimisation.

My caveat is all that work, placement, speed, movement, and fight mechanics and the mesh is wrong. The mesh is the first part of production. Once gameplay is perfected environments go in.

Solution.

1) Take typical attributes of main character of a real human values. As you say 6ft male is pretty accurate.
    2) Differentiate wiremesh type (boxer? gladiator? poor Egyptian slave?) this is a starting point for purchases on asset store.
    3) Ratio and camera have not been mentioned. The character size relative to camera effects other gameplay elements. Streetfighter 5 on PS4 has characters 6ft but zoomed up. This mechanic wouldn't work in far out view because other gameplay elements come into play. Collectables and obstacles.
    4) Fix camera and ratio of character to scene. It seems then metrics can truly begin.

So in correct order:

A) Fix Camera and Environment scene view with plane.
    B) Import humanoid character.
    C) Attach >Rigidboy>MeshCollision
    D) Tweak metrics.
    E) Purchase final humanoid character (same as B as possible).
    F) Fix bugs.

Voila! Spelt wrong. :D

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  5. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

This is a great point. Relating to motion a lot of motions that work and look good up close do not read well from a distance. Pauses and slowdowns pre-post attack/hit have to be tweaked based on camera position.

If this was my task - I would want to solidify the final size of the player character(s). After that all environmental design, puzzles and such can go forth. If multiple different size characters will be played through the different environments, testing will be needed for each character controller, and edits to the layout and each character controller will be required so the game feels great with each player character.

Look forward to seeing your progress.

Deleted User likes this.
  6. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thank you Animator. Weve all been working on concept and placeholder art including programming. I have deliberately avoided one of the hardest bits - what you said above.

The whole point of accurate meshes was to accomplish the hardest thing out of everything - a fun game. In my experience, and this is my 153rd Video Game. PlayTesting early is almost the spark of success.

As soon as i can - (i will) post.