Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Wireless development on Quest 2 for Steam then eventually Oculus Store

Discussion in 'VR' started by NotQuiteSmith, Dec 5, 2020.

1. NotQuiteSmith

NotQuiteSmith

Hi,
    We want to develop in Unity (2020.1) using Quest 2 and release on Steam (to avoid Oculus Store acceptance policy for now, until we get a full team). Any advice on the following things would be awesome:

1) Do we use UnityXR or go with Oculus integration package as the core?
    2) We're using a link cable to run in Unity IDE during dev. Can we do this wirelessly? Dev is a nightmare with that cable.
    3) How do we maximise shared code between the Steam version and the eventual tweaks (or rewrite!) needed to run natively on Quest? We'll respect the graphics budget even when running on desktop (using mobile/quest-level assets, etc.) to reduce issues.

I can't be the only one to find the process of VR dev a bit annoying :). Headset off, debug, run, headset on again, stand on the cable, find the controllers, try and read the unity console with the Quest over my eyes, etc. And I wear glasses! I'm losing my hair - literally getting rubbed off my head.

Are there any other efficient practices while developing? e.g. I'd rather avoid "builds" (which take ages) and hugely prefer watching my desktop monitor, with the Quest on my forehead for tracking (not over eyes), using the controllers to test.

Thanks!