Search Unity

【WIP】Witchscroll

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by bbsbot, Jan 23, 2014.

1. bbsbot

bbsbot

above was post at 20140123. now the name has been named "Witchscroll" by myself. thank you all.
    from now on, this thread became my "WIP"[Working In Process] thread about this game.
    I may post updates during the developing. any comment are welcome.

screenshots

This is a 3d side scroll arpg set in a fantasy world. the character in these screenshots is just a temp one, it will be replaced with a sword-master man. he have sword in hand, but no shield, wear light armor[leather+cloth+chain] and mask. player may have a jouney from a small village to town, then to a fantasy forest, then to.....a great jouney to defeat evil...a legend jouney.
    anything about what you think about this game, do you like it? also any ideas/suggestion are welcome.

Thanks
    Best wishes.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  2. Anonanimal

Anonanimal

I don't have a good suggestion, unfortunately, but I recommend you just keep developing it, as one will probably come to you. We aren't privy to the deeper aspects of your game/story, and thus will just come up with generic names that won't really describe yours at all.

melidian likes this.
  3. bbsbot

bbsbot

I'm glad to see you kind words. about deeper aspects of my game/story, i have writed a doc with details, but prefer to keep it undercover atm.
    there is only one main characer, and he is a swords/sneak master man weared leather armor.
    he is traveling in a chaos world, a world with medieval and fantasy scenes, swords, armors, monsters, evil witch...

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  4. henry96

henry96

Keep developing because name for the game, for some people, is kept at the near completion of the project so that the name itself can reflect the whole game-play.

By the way, really nice graphic you have there. :)

5. kielcary

kielcary

I will "second" the recommendations above - let that name come to you! Some random morning after an all-night development session, a name will come to you.

Great job from what I can see in the screen shots. Keep up the good work, and remember: finish what you start!

6. bbsbot

bbsbot

Thank you all.

I will keep developing till the whole game is finished. prosses may post here weekly.
    anything about what/how you think about this game, ideas, recommendations, bricks are welcome.
    see you around.

7. Neffy

Neffy

The game should basically name itself. Literally and metaphorically. After development is close to being finished, the game should have a very obvious choice for the name. Keep going though, it looks amazing so far.

8. smd863

smd863

"The Crushing Scrolls Saga: To the Edge of Candy"

Seriously though, you should name your own game.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  9. primus88

primus88

"Blood Steel" coz why the hell not.

10. TheRaider

TheRaider

I was going to suggest The Candy Saga

11. softwizz

softwizz

12. gameseizer_00

gameseizer_00

seriously, 'Dave'?

13. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Knight's breath

14. Lemo76

Lemo76

Here's how I name my indie games:
    I've got my main 8 strategies I made up, here they are:

1. Incorrect Spacing:
    Start off with a simple few words e.g. Only x No y
    Now combine the words together: OnlyxNoy
    Now split it apart: Onlyx Noy
    This works only in some examples as it can give a very original name or it can turn it into complete gibberish.

2. Relation Themes
    Now think of all the words which relate to the game
    e.g. Exploration, Open, Bright, Colourful, Huge
    Now keep trying to combine them until you are satisfied: Colour, Huge
    Now link the words together: Coluge

Those two were for more 'indie' names, here are some better ones:

3. Main Points
    Look at the main parts of the game.
    Pick out names from the key features in the game,
    So to speak, some real examples are, Trine, Portal, Minecraft, Alien Swarm etc.

4. Metaphors
    Look at sections of the game and find metaphors for it, and then use them in the title.
    Another Example is Mirrors Edge or Braid.

5. Development Naming
    As you go along creating the game, you learn about your idea you have of your game.
    The name will become clearer and clearer too come up with.
    So if you are stuck on the naming part, don't worry as it will come to you when you least expect it.

6. Relax
    Usually when I relax, the best ideas come to me, occasionally being game ideas, ways to fix a code and sometimes names for game ideas.
    Meditation can also help you think clearer about a name.

7A. List Choice
    Keep writing down the name ideas which come to you, no matter how stupid.
    Eventually you'll get to a stage where you have a large amount of ideas for names.
    Now choose your favourite.

7B. List Combine
    This time instead, combine the names of your favourite together. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

7C. List Judge
    Now, get many people to judge your name ideas and the average top voted will be your chosen idea.

8. It's Up to you!
    Be as creative as possible.
    The way the gaming industry is going, you can make your names as wacky as possible.
    It's also about the target audience.

So try and both make your mind and your game name up.
    Hope some of this helps.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
    bayunanda and theANMATOR2b like this.
  15. bbsbot

bbsbot

Thank you all.

due to these reply, i think most of you like the graphic so far. that's good.
    I will post more screenshots later about the secound part of level1 --- the town view.
    progress going slow this week, but the cog is still going.
    It's so nice to see some people like my game. see you.

16. CryWar

CryWar

Hey

Must i take Relax to my game name?

17. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

Night Knight. :p

If you make money off of that name we'll negotiate fees ;)

18. bbsbot

bbsbot

Hi, all. long time to see.

update
    about the name of this game, i think something like "tale of scroll" or "scrolltale" or something like "xxx"scroll looks better.
    this is a side scroll fantasy arpg, so the word "scroll" seems very fit the name. i think the name need be more unique, and have the word--"scroll", so i think the "scrolltale" is better, how do you think?
    the town part of level1 been reconcepted. here is the new concept.

level1townpart0718.jpg

19. SpaceMammoth

SpaceMammoth

You have some good advice on names in this thread - here's something else to consider: SEO (search engine optimisation). You will want people to find your game in app stores/steam etc and find your site on google. If the name is too generic or similar to something else you will be lost pages down on search results, but its also got to be easy to remember. You see a lot of good games here that have names that will not even return their website when searched for in google; they are making life difficult for themselves.

Anyway the screenshots look good, I especially like the design of the village. Best of luck.

20. bbsbot

bbsbot

Hi spacemammot
    about the name, i finally shoot it down. I name this game ----"Witchscroll".
    here is a picture i drawed hours ago about the name. get the feeling?
    YP20140723173524792.jpeg
    and about the sence screenshots i post earlier, i change the camorer so that enlarge the view. i also change the skybox color to more blue. i'm intend to use colors to get a night feeling and avoid to make the scene too dark.
    see you next update.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  21. joni-giuro

joni-giuro

Call it "One or two words".
    You said "the name should be one or two words."

Myhijim likes this.
  22. bbsbot

bbsbot

Hi all.
    update
    changed the camera on player, now it can view more space.
    changed the color of skybox to more blue for a better looking.
    I updated the first post with 2 new screenshots.

23. bbsbot

bbsbot

Hey, all, I come!
    update
    improve the village area by painted road texture, add more bushes and rocks for background and few minor fix.
    recreate the area between village to town
    new screenshot
    buildtest 2014-08-17 17-55-21-187.jpg

24. bbsbot

bbsbot

Hei !
    update
    the concept of the town complete.
    the village area got some improvement.
    buildtest 2014-08-17 17-50-57-696.jpg

25. bbsbot

bbsbot

update with few concept art drawing by myself.
    YP20141006091216489.jpg

26. softwizz

softwizz

Scrolltum :D

27. bbsbot

bbsbot

yes, scroll scrolling.

UPDATE
    main character concept art alpha version
    maskman.jpg

ChrisSch likes this.
  28. AthosK

AthosK

Cool looking game, I hope your haven't give up development for this

Edit: btw if you have found a tittle for it you can now change the name of the thread, in your op to the right under "thread tools"

29. bbsbot

bbsbot

Thank you, nasoukikos.
    I know the develop process is slow than I planed. but I will not give up, and I'm sure i will complete this project in future.
    the process is slow , but the cog is still going. more and more concept art have been drawed by me during these weeks, and more work in unity3d done. now , i'm doing the town area, and pretty sure the whole scene of chapter1 will complete before the end of 2014. chapter1 include the village + road to town + town area. this chapter take up allmost 1 year to complete, but i'm sure the following chapters will take less time, because I allready drawed some concept art for them.
    I will post more screenshots in next update news.
    Thank you.

AthosK likes this.
  30. bbsbot

bbsbot

Update [20141121]
    Hi, for everybody like my game, today i bring the lastest news to you, and thank you all.
    what happened since last month ? the town part have been more than 90% done. so, let's see some screenshots about it.

this is the town gate
    buildtest 2014-11-21 13-22-33-236.jpg
    after you enter the town, the building in right is tavern.
    buildtest 2014-11-21 13-28-36-501.jpg
    near a bridge to church
    buildtest 2014-11-21 13-31-36-273.jpg
    one of some guard towers.
    buildtest 2014-11-21 13-32-06-654.jpg
    church
    buildtest 2014-11-21 13-32-26-912.jpg

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
    AthosK likes this.
  31. bbsbot

bbsbot

only allowed 5 screenshots per thread, so these are here.
    church
    buildtest 2014-11-21 13-33-03-262.jpg
    somewhere in the east part of town
    buildtest 2014-11-21 13-36-53-418.jpg
    east gate of the town
    buildtest 2014-11-21 13-37-33-319.jpg
    that's all. only some misc items like crates, box, light post...and npcs left to be done in future, and that's all about level1, but i prefer to start to make the scenes for level2.
    level2 is even bigger and wonderfull than level1, i allready drawed most concept art pictures about it.
    at the mean time i say the view of level2 is no longer at night time, all at daytime.
    any comment or suggestion are welcome.
    See you next update !

AthosK likes this.
  32. AthosK

AthosK

You can add some lighting to the scene and get rid of the directional light (I'm assuming) or turn into a fill light as to make the scene more interesting, maybe some torches that light up the town. Looking good so far!

33. bbsbot

bbsbot

Hi nasoukikos
    nice to see you around. for lighting, i'm intend to add some road light post to lighten the scene and give player a more clear shape of the road. the reason i use the directional light is : i don't want the scene looks too dark, because i want player can see more things in far, to acheive a big scale town feelling.
    thank you for your comment. see you.

AthosK likes this.
  34. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Side scrolling action RPG. Great stuff. Rarely see things like this anymore. Looking forward to it. How far is it from completion?

SteveJ likes this.
  35. bbsbot

bbsbot

Thank you. glad to see more people like my indie game.
    this game is more like side scrolling, but the background is not made by 2d picture, is truely 3d.
    and the player is not only can move in "x" direction, but also can move in "z" direction. but most of times the right way/road is x direction, player going from left hand to right hand. but this is not 2d game, and not 2.5d game [with 3d background but player can only move in x direction]. it's 3d, but not like the skyrim, gothic....this game's camera is more like side scroll camera, and levels being designed to go from left hand to right hand. but the road is not allways in line, for more nature and nice look.
    I want to make this game an unique and nice looking game, guess you allready get the feelling.
    and for your question about how far is it from completion, at the mean time, i can tell is : I'm intend to complete it before the end of 2015, and release the game in internet market like steam, ps, xbox, wiiu....i know it's sound like daydream. i make plans and do things alone. the process is slow than i planed last year, but i know i will get it done, this is my dream, and it will became true in future.

AthosK and GarBenjamin like this.
  36. bbsbot

bbsbot

Update 20141205
    Hi all !!
    2weeks passed since last update, I know you want know how's the developing going.
    I read a book about drawing and colors during these days, here is a concept art drawing by me with pen and paper, I just photo it with my cellphone's camera, then copy to my computer and colored it as quick as possiable, hoho! it may look roughly. but i get some really fine time with it, and it show the feelling i want to create----- more lighten, more colorfull, and cool !!!!
    this is somewhere near the beginning of level 2. player will ride on horse and chasing/be chasing till into the ancient forest.
    to old forest small.jpg

vedinislamovic and AthosK like this.
  37. bbsbot

bbsbot

thank you nasoukikos and all other people who like my game.
    today i update the project to 4.6.1 version of unity engine. before i use 4.5.0.

I found a small issue both in playmode window and after build and run. in 4.5.0 there is no this issue.
    see the dirty black sand like things at far on the river sides and far river?
    I wonder what's that and how to get rid of it. anyone have a clue?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
    0tacun likes this.
  38. AthosK

AthosK

Which ones do you mean? I can't seem to find it from the picture and the low res doesn't help either

39. bbsbot

bbsbot

Hi, i'm so glad to see you coming to help. here is a high res screenshot, i mark the issue with red line.
    buildtest 2014-12-13 07-11-36-952.jpg
    the issue not only at this place, it looks like it can "move" with me, any clue?

40. AthosK

AthosK

I think I have a hunch what it could be, go to your quality settings (menu: Edit->Project Settings->Quality) and change the Anisotropic Textures to Forced On.
    Some more info on it you can find here http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/class-QualitySettings.html
    I'm guessing the problem can be seen from the editor scene also right? And when you move closer it vanishes?
    Try the Forced On and let me know if it doesn't work

41. AthosK

AthosK

Oh and one more thing, do you have grass there? Maybe it is the end of the lod settings and it turns the grass into low res billboards to save on performance, Unity terrain does that, you can tweak some settings from the terrain editor to fix that. Some documentation for the terrain is here http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/terrain-OtherSettings.html
    If I had to guess I'd say it's Detail Distance or Billboard Start but there might be other ones that do this behaviour. Play a little with the settings. Always remember to make a backup of the whole project before you try stuff, some settings here can mess your whole terrain, so make a backup first just to be sure

42. bbsbot

bbsbot

Hi nasoukikos

I just tried the forced on of anisotropic textures, the issue still there.
    I'm guessing the problem can be seen from the editor scene also right? And when you move closer it vanishes?
    yes. when i move closer to it , it disapeared and apear on more far location. it move when i move. when i move close to it , it flee to far, and still exist.
    there is no grass.

43. AthosK

AthosK

Did you try anything from the terrain settings?
    I'll look into it some more and get back to you

44. AthosK

AthosK

Go to quality settings and put it to Fantastic and see if the problem persist? Or if it appears further on your scene now

45. bbsbot

bbsbot

the issue still there after i turn the quality setting to fantastic.
    I change some terrain settings , the issue also still there.

46. AthosK

AthosK

Did the distance they appear changed at all when you changed the quality settings?
    Also have you baked any lightmaps for the scene?
    And your scene is lighted by a directional light correct?

47. bbsbot

bbsbot

no.
    no.
    yes. a blue color directional light.

48. AthosK

AthosK

I asked around and see if anyone has any clue on it.
    In the mean time go to your camera and tweak the clippings planes and see if that changes anything.
    Also go to your directional light and tweak the properties under the Shadow Type and see if there's any change.
    Lastly if you haven't upgrade to the latest version because it could be a bug with the terrain.
    This only shows on the terrain and not on other objects right?

49. bbsbot

bbsbot

Hi nasoukikos
    thanks for your help.
    I just tried tweak the clippings planes and the issue still there.
    tried change directional light's shadow type, i even tried to chance it to no shadow, the issue still there.
    I use the 4.6.1f1. and my video card is nvidia gtx750, drive is 344.75.
    this is not only shows on the terrain, also on other objects, such as the roof of a farm building.
    I found a good news. this issue is only on this scene, not on other scenes. so, I decide to leave it till i completely done all level's scenes, then i may copy the content of this scene and recreate it as a new one in order to get rid of this issue.

for the developing of level2, I'm making the scene that the lastest concept picture i posted.
    at the beginning, i tried to use one of some famous terrain plugine to create the terrain and place plants, soon, i give up.
    now I'm using the old way to create the terrain and place plants manually. I think it's a shame that unity have not update the terrain editor so long time. it make terrain work done slowly. I will show a few screenshots about the lastest my work in future.

AthosK likes this.
  50. AthosK

AthosK

If it's only on one scene it could be something with the scene's settings. Go to Edit/Render Settings and try tweaking some stuff there but yes it's better to not stuck on the little things just now, usually polishing the game takes more than making it.

There might be an update on the terrain editor with Unity 5 but I don't know for sure. I haven't used any terrain plugins to be honest, I normally would just go paint by hand everything or use a heightmap just to get the basic geometry ready.

Keep us updated!