Search Unity

[WIP] Zoo Architect

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Deleted User, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

Even though this is really early in production I decided to post it here to get some feedback on the idea. Basic premise: Its very similar to the sims but you manage a zoo. The player must keep track of the economic, building and customer satisfaction as well as the comforts of the animals at all times. FBTH is currently working on the models, but, I still need an animator. I'm also working on a loading screen / neat image to post here as the title.

By the way, this will be complete freeware / non commercial when finished

Now accepting generic animal names for the random name generator, PM me as to not spam this thread.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2013
  2. dtg108

dtg108

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yes i have actually, dtg108. I remember playing something like it a long time ago. (about 10 years ago) And when the latest sims city came out, I came up with this idea.

4. FBTH

FBTH

Id be glad to help, I've been wanting to do a project like this for some time and never got a team big enough to do it. Ill pm you. I can "attempt" to model animals. I can model other things (Fences, Toys,Buildings, ect)

5. Ocid

Ocid

You're probably thinking of the original Zoo Tycoon which used the same graphical style as Rollercoaster Tycoon. Not sure if it was just re-skinned.

6. Deleted User

Deleted User

Note that the editor gui is not final and the font size is so small because I have yet to figure out an
    algorithm for calculating the fot size based on the screen dimensions. Almost all the models are primarily just for testing, ill be adding fur to the animals eventually and some cool particle effects for the other stuff.

7. FBTH

FBTH

Looks good :D

8. Deleted User

Deleted User

Just saw this https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/5032 It would solve my animating issue and make the over graphics look 10 times better if I were willing to actually sink money into the project (maybe later if the project is really coming along nicely) anyhow, heres a update:

Finished:
    - Complete save game (I still cant figure out asynchronous saving but the loading is surprisingly quick)
    - Improved the editor with a standardized grid system

9. FBTH

FBTH

Just sent you a message, I really like the look, any updates?

10. dtg108

dtg108

very nice models.

11. Deleted User

Deleted User

Vastly Improved gui:
    $screenshot1.png
    Yes the tigers names are Milo and Buffy, they were randomly selected from a list of 100 pet names.

Known bugs:
    - Camera wont move when the time is paused (somewhere Time.deltaTime is being set to zero and I have no idea where)
    - Fences dont play nice with non horizontal terrain
    - The save game can be a little buggy at times, especially when loading and saving several times

What Im working on:
    - More advanced camera movement
    - Item selection
    - Animal AI (It's a lot harder than I expected)
    - I have to go in and renderer all my objects and set up object previews (ill do it when FBTH finishes up the first couple of models)

12. FBTH

FBTH

Hey, I know this thread is probably dead. But I finished a ton of models for you and you hadn't ever replied. So Id love to see more of this, hmu any time

13. Deleted User

Deleted User

So... Its been awhile but it would be nice to start working on this again. Although I wont be able to put much into it in the upcoming weeks due to midterms, consider this thread revived :)

14. Velo222

Velo222

Interesting. I thought of doing a "Zoo Tycoon" type of game as well, but just never wanted to drop my current project to start working on one. I hope maybe you can keep working on this. I would love to buy a great zoo-tycoon-like game.

Of course, lots of things can happen to kind of stymy a games progress. I think it could be a great game. Good luck!

15. FBTH

FBTH

Alright :D my modeling exp has grown since then so maybe I can model some better models :p

16. Deleted User

Deleted User

Primarily working on bugs due to upgrading through several versions and changing operating systems, I'm also redoing the entire save game to create a folder in %appdata% with a couple of .txt's instead of using player prefs

17. FBTH

FBTH

Thats awesome, message me on here, and Ill be glad to do anything for this game! ^.^