Search Unity

Games [WIP] Wizard Saga (think choose your own adventure meets collectible card game)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Raelyr, Oct 3, 2019.

1. Raelyr

Raelyr

Hey guys, I'm pretty new to unity and C# and started work on my first major project about two weeks ago. It's for a game I'm tentatively calling Wizard Saga, which plays a bit like the thread title describes. You play as a newly-minted wizard in a world extremely hostile toward magic (and it's not really their fault, most existing wizards are kinda jerks!). As the player, you swap between interactive conversations and a CCG-esque combat system, completing various scenarios before moving out to the world map where you choose where to go next.

The game starts out in 'story' mode, where you make choices that impact your wizard's reputation and interact with characters via decision-driven dialogue.

The choices you make are important, and have a meaningful and lasting impact on your story as it unfolds!

Your choices effect not only the immediate scenario, but also impact your character's 'reputation' values (things like 'aggression', 'greed', 'compassion', etc). These values determine what conversation options are available going forward, and also what scenarios may or may not occur for you!

Depending on your decisions, combat can break out throughout the conversations.

During combat, you 'draw' elements from the ones you've collected throughout the game, and can string them together to cast increasingly powerful (and costly) spells each round. Enemies perform actions from their own 'hand' each turn, too.

After completing a given scenario, you move out to the world map, where you can travel to different locations (if you've unlocked them), starting with the small forests-edge village of Denev.

Anyway, the game isn't QUITE ready for playtesting, but I've just finished the most basic draft of the combat handler, and was hoping to get some feedback and best-practices guidance on that admittedly huge part of the game! So if anyone has some time to help look over some C# for a new-ish coder, I'd appreciate any tips or suggestions! Here's the combat handler's source code.

Thanks in advance!

2. Raelyr

Raelyr

Lots of under-the-hood progress made today on Wizard Saga! Created a save system, built to Android for the first time, and handled a toooooooon of resolution and scaling issues going from testing on the PC to playing on mobile. Last thing I want to add before looking for some play testing is a short tutorial sequence to the first fight - so expect a chance to try it out sometime this weekend! :)

3. Raelyr

Raelyr

Wizard Saga is now available for playtesting! Here's the link to download the apk (note, it IS an apk, meaning for now it'll only run on an Android mobile device or emulator).

I'm specifically looking for feedback on 'playability' - is the text large enough, the controls intuitive, the overall style of the game interesting and/or engaging?

Please note - I'm not an artist or a composer, so all the assets in the game are from free sources like the asset store, for now. No use commenting on those as they're all placeholders!

Also note - this is just the first 'level' of the game, with a couple of fights and a few conversational forks before you arrive at the world map. There's only the one level right now, as I want to iron out any major fundamental issues before making a ton of content.

Thanks in advance for any feedback or suggestions!

4. Raelyr

Raelyr

Did some more back end work on Wizard Saga over the last week, including resolving some scaling issues, improving the tutorial, and patching up an unexpected hole in the save/load handling. Also resolved an issue where the mobile version wasn't reading player names properly. So! Still looking for some feedback on this short snippet of the game, here's the apk!