Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[WIP][Weekly Updates] Alien FPS

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by chrisall76, Sep 1, 2012.

1. chrisall76

chrisall76

Estimated Release Date: late 2013 / Early 2014

Hey guys,
    here is our topic for a game our team(LittleForestGames) is making.
    It's a FPS unlike others. Instead of being a human like many other FPS,
    you are a alien trying to escape a distant planet and take over other planets
    including Earth.

Story:
    After escaping annihilation of your home planet, you and your people are placed into cryogenic sleep upon your spaceship destined for a new home planet. However, upon awakening, you have come to realize that you and you people have been abducted by an alien race. You soon come to realize that most of your people are not quite acting like themselves, and you suspect they are being manipulated by the aliens. Along with the others who seems to have resisted the control of the aliens, you set forth to free your people and claim the planet as your own.

Links:
    The game will have to be payed for, but to help development I'm letting people play
    and suggest things to add! Be warned that these builds are early in development and will
    change around alot.

Windows: Windows
    Windows x64: Windows x64
    Linux x32/64: Linux
    Mac: Mac
    WebPlayer: Webplayer

Last Updated: 4/3/2013

Community Idea Board
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IeZn-_9ezzLOLWDmJq_j8HyYvCm55PeBzrlZxkg4sTk/edit?usp=sharing

Follow us on twitter!: https://twitter.com/LittleForestG
    Follow us on youtube!: http://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialForestGames
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Note:
    Ignore first post as they where in the really early stages of story development.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  2. ShadyAlien

ShadyAlien

It's a good start, but I would try to come up with more detail and characters, and something that differentiates the story from other games--fighting aliens has been done by several major titles (Halo, Gears of War, etc.) so it would probably be good to come up with some sort of unique aspect to it that would make people want to play the game.

I'd suggest trying to invest in characters as well. Having good characters can make players emotionally invest in a game and make them want to keep playing in order to find out what happens to the people in the story (Mass Effect, while I've never played it, seems to be a very character and story driven series, from what I understand).

Just my two cents. A lot of this depends on what direction you want to take the game, too.

3. Morning

Morning

"UFO crashes" just sounds so cheesy. It's a random element like "here, we will crash this ufo so you got aliens to fight", "here, we will release this virus so you have zombies to fight". From story perspective this is more like an excuse than a story element. Even "aliens attack but get shot down and crash" is better but still awfully cheesy. If story is a big deal in the game, then this is not a good way to start things.
    Huge explosion? Does that play any part in the story? Also military is way over used. Unless you have any good reason to have them, why have them? How about a few redneck explorers go spelunking and then they find alien survivors and being rednecks that they are, they beat the S*** out of aliens. After that aliens think all humans are bad and decide to escape our planet but they have to fight to get what they need and get mistaken for invaders. After that maybe another ship arrives to save the aliens but humans use nukes or rockets to attack because of the misunderstanding and a war happens. All because a few rednecks beat the aliens.

If you don't want player to be a redneck, then imagine that player comes form posh neighborhood in UK. He decides to tour US and is fascinated by caves. He books a tour but most other tourists happen to be rednecks.

I am no storywriter so I can't help much, but I am story reader though.

4. chrisall76

chrisall76

I'm still going for something to have the militarily, but I'm about to change it a bit.

5. khanstruct

khanstruct

It sounds a bit contrived.

They were going into an underground base to see what happens down there? Its very obvious that you've put these elements together just to setup the game, making none of them feel natural or believable.

My suggestion would be to first, come up with a backstory for this underground base. Decide why they're going down there, and be sure to tie that reason into the game. Then, if you're going with a UFO crash, have the crash somehow also related to this underground base.

Any odd or convenient coincidence or random act will destroy the games immersion.

6. chrisall76

chrisall76

Ok, gotta really think about this. But for now I'll focus on the game while getting ideas.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
  7. Dabeh

Dabeh

Ditch the second story completely.
    The US wouldn't simply "ignore" it because they think it's an airplane. If you want to tie in the Area 51 and the military base...there wouldn't be tours.
    People arn't even allowed close to the place and the mountains block view from the ground and people are flown in through plane from las vegas. I doubt civilians would be allowed in. It's so secret that the military still haven't acknowledge Area 51s existance.

You can't even get close without being arrested(or worse). They have the right to kill you.
    (I am not a nut and I don't believe that aliens have visited us)

8. chrisall76

chrisall76

Ditched, also my topics where merged. Will focus on the look on the game so I can get out a gameplay video as fast as i can.

9. chrisall76

chrisall76

Ok, demo should come soon after I reanimate and model the weapons.

10. hellraizerhhh

hellraizerhhh

Who cares about animation and weapon models. Start with gameplay first, show features, implementation of ideas that sets your game apart etc

11. chrisall76

chrisall76

Well, atm I'm trying to add bobbing but instead from the camera from the weapons. That's really all I'm animating before I get to working on the rest of the features I want in the first video.

12. chrisall76

chrisall76

Updated first page with our WIP GDD.

13. chrisall76

chrisall76

Hopefully should have a demo by saterday, what do you guys think should be in a first video of a game in progress?

14. das

das

sounds great.

the alien thing seems to be a bit overused, these days, but it is still a good concept to work off of. i've heard of a few games that started out as alien games, and came out as something entirely different.

good luck.

15. chrisall76

chrisall76

More like zombie games are overused today, I haven't seen a alien shooter in a while.

16. wolfstien786

wolfstien786

Crysis 2 ??

17. chrisall76

chrisall76

I never played that, but I do remember now that it does have aliens.

18. chrisall76

chrisall76

the next update will be small, but of course it's the introduction. Planning on saterday/Sunday since I'm going to upgrade
    my old computer on one of the days.

Here's whats coming/planned to come:
    -Introduction to what/where we're planning to go on the project
    -Basic enemy AI
    -3 guns; sniper, pistol, shotgun
    -aim down sight testing

19. chrisall76

chrisall76

Ok, update should come tomorrow.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  20. chrisall76

chrisall76

Felt like there was not alot to update, so I'm going to wait a bit until I add a few more things.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  21. chrisall76

chrisall76

Sorry for no update lately, just been working on a few things. Next update should include:
    -New gun type (Machinegun)
    -Accuracy changes if you scope instead of shooting from the hip
    -More ambient sounds
    -Enemy AI improved
    -enemy damage based on where you hit
    -Slight movement changes to the character
    -More animations for things like weapons
    -GUI Improved

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  22. chrisall76

chrisall76

Put a download/webplayer on the first page first page, they will be updated alot during the day.
    This way, you guys can give suggestions on what we should do next.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  23. chrisall76

chrisall76

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  24. chrisall76

chrisall76

Latest update adds:
    -Changed menus around and fixed text
    -Replaced AK47 with the M16
    -Fixed animation to be more smooth (most noticeable in transition from idle to walk or vice versa)
    -Changed player speed and interval between walking sound
    -Recoil is lower (for now)
    -Shooting will spread out crosshair
    -Tweaked recoil
    Webplayer(also on OP):
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/85846965/FPSCreator/Builds/WebPlayer/WebPlayer.html

25. chrisall76

chrisall76

Build coming tomorrow. Includes: Upgraded to Unity 4, prepared pistol for new animation system in Unity 4, ability to change shooting mode (single, burst, auto), changed around recoil, a few small bug fixes.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  26. chrisall76

chrisall76

Ok, updated the links with the latest build.

27. chrisall76

chrisall76

Update a bit early since I'll be joining the mini LD this weekend, this build includes xp upgrading (can be seen by pressing Q in-game).

28. chrisall76

chrisall76

No update this week, need to add a new features in and finish rigging.

29. Rins Main man

Rins Main man

Halo is an alien shooter

30. HolBol

HolBol

Sure, your point is?

31. chrisall76

chrisall76

Yea, and I want to go this way instead of going towards the overused zombie
    genre. Also, adding a few more touches so update is coming late monday/tuesday

32. chrisall76

chrisall76

A few small updates will come out this week, but mostly nothing big as I'm slowing down and writing down what needs to be done next.

33. dtg108

dtg108

Sounds good. Can we get some pics? :D/

34. chrisall76

chrisall76

Probably soon, after I finish a few things today.

35. TVE

TVE

A great start would be, like the movie battleship, a signal is sent to a different planet, and they send back aliens to steal resources :]

36. chrisall76

chrisall76

Thanks, anyone would would like to give a suggestion to the story/what I should add next just tell me!

37. chrisall76

chrisall76

I had to finish something for you guys before I went to bed, so i got that developer boost I get every once and a while and acually got something done :)
    Playing around with things such as iron sights, should be in the next build and maybe a way to customize which ones you want.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  38. TVE

TVE

Awesome :] I am developing a fps too, well mmofps. :] I have done first update, which is simple, but update 2 is going to add so so so so so much more. I do updates 1nce a week. ;]

Good Luck! Looks good. :]

Links in Signature.

39. chrisall76

chrisall76

Merry Christmas everyone! No update came this week because its a week off, but next update should include new custom textures. Also I'm hoping to add the ability to change what scope(or iron sight) you have.

40. chrisall76

chrisall76

Make the mouse feel more like a FPS one, now to make the animation system work better.
    If anyone has suggestions feel free to tell me, as that would help the team make the game faster :)

41. Kelde

Kelde

this is why my maincharacter is a fish, and the game takes place on Titan. dont get me wrong i love aliens, zombies and the occasional inbetweens, just played too many games with them in, and watched too many movies. I just wish there were something new people would come up with...i much more fonder of the "experiments gone wrong" kinda thing where they create something that causes mutations(not zombies), cuz it opens up possibilities for new designs. zombies will always be zombies, aleins stands a better chance when it comes to designs tho so ur already headed the right way.

for game like this these days the story kinda needs to be very solid since we have 10000000000000000 zombie and alien shooters. I would create a deep story and shape it up good, then start planning what "new" mechanics to bring to a game like this.

This is why i turned to indiegames, i never play big games anymore as i feel the keep recycling everything these days, its not about beeing new, its about securing income. indiegames has more freedom, so i think it should be spent wisely to leave a mark in the industry.

I'll hang around and see what u come up with!:)

42. chrisall76

chrisall76

Thanks, I've seen that aliens give more of a possibility, as zombies usually only have one look to them.
    Of course, aliens could always change to a experiment gone wrong like Half-Life. Also have this other idea
    but won't be sharing it until I figure out if I actually want to use it or not. Story will be good, should have the solid
    idea in the next few months. Going to be doing some hard work to get the game looking and feeling like I imagine
    it. Thanks for keeping posted :)

43. chrisall76

chrisall76

Slight change to story concept, instead of being a human you are a alien invading earth. Should make
    arm modeling easier but making enemies will be a bit tough. Probably will be recruiting a few other people soon.

44. chrisall76

chrisall76

45. chrisall76

chrisall76

Build will be a bit late in the middle of next week, as I had to study for a test and work on my 1GAM. Good thing about that is that I learned
    a bit of C# coding and GUI coding.

46. squared55

squared55

Do you have any recent pictures?

47. chrisall76

chrisall76

Sure, they'll slowly start coming out. New few will come tonight.

48. chrisall76

chrisall76

Deciding to start modeling assets for the game, expect the next time you see a map it will be a bit more detailed.

49. chrisall76

chrisall76

About to hire a texture artist and a mock-up designer, for now we have these ugly looking textures by me.

50. chrisall76

chrisall76

New picture, since it is screenshot saturday :)