Search Unity

(WIP) Weapon Pack ( Medieval/Fantasy )

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by aixaix, Feb 1, 2012.

1. aixaix

aixaix

Well.. im working on a model pack which will contain at least 10 weapon and will cost 1-3$

Made 2 models today
    Sword
    245 poly.
    234 ver.

Axe
    123 poly.
    122.ver.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  2. aixaix

aixaix

I feel like remaking the axe... as i don't like its head.

3. RayCruxis

RayCruxis

the sword's hilt doesn't really look very realistic. Looks more like cut logs than a probable hilt. Also the textures seem very muddy. I'd work on these a little more before selling them.

4. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

Ray has a point, but sword hilts don't. I would say put in a lot more detail if you want to sell this as a realistic asset bundle. Otherwise, make the textures better and sell it a a cartoon asset bundle.

5. aixaix

aixaix

Yeah... thats what i thought will happen :)

These models and textures are fast made...

but i'm starting to realize that i must spend time to get things right, not just like: Oh. made a stick COOL! :)

Thanks for the advice guys :)

6. RayCruxis

RayCruxis

I would say look at some pictures of real swords, study on what exactly is put on a hilt and what different swords were made out of realistically

7. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

Also remember that a lot can be done in the diffuse and normal maps, not only the geometry.

8. Zogg

Zogg

You might want to make some improvements to make the weapons appear more realistic... and dangerous :
    • The axe should have a blade that makes it look a bit more like a weapon, and a bit less like... a gardening tool (no offence).
    • Also, the hilt of your sword looks a bit too much like assembled of three pencils.
    • Razor-sharp edges on the blades can be obtained by making them appear like polished metal (specular, lighter, no corrosion)
    • Add notches on the blades to give the impression that they have actually been used in combat. It's a bit like scars and eye patches on warriors : Ancient battle wounds, remainder of past victories.
    • Although not obligatory, a fuller might be put on the sword blade.
    • Some ornaments might give the impression of a more valuable weapon.
    • You might want to reconsider putting pointy pikes on the weapon handle. A weapon - be it a sword or a machine gun - usually has one safe end and one deadly end, and the design should make it clear that you damn better be on the safe end.
    • Before designing the weapon, you should consider what kind of weapon you want : A crude orkish blade ? A precious knight's sword ? A powerful axe forged by a barbarian master smith ? This avoids incoherencies like on your sword where you put a huge gem onto a hilt made of crudely chipped wood.

Here a quick-and-dirty photoshop job trying to correct some (not all) of said points :

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  9. aixaix

aixaix

Thanks for your epic advice!

10. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

I think there shouldent be all the sharp parts on the sword and axe handels as it would just make it more likely to kill your self.

unityunity