Search Unity

[WIP] UnityVSModuleBuilder a project dependency management tool

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by gapMindful, Feb 14, 2015.

1. gapMindful

gapMindful

A dependency management tool for Unity3D with supporting Visual Studio solution development

GitHub Link

I've been playing around with Unity as a hobby but I work with Java during my regular workday. We use maven in the office and I really missed having some form of dependency management in unity. I keep running into situations where I want two projects to quickly share and update dependencies on a third common project. Specifically in my case, I keep importing and exporting a set of "core" assets and scripts between my other projects.

So, I've been working on a solution that allows me to generate "module" projects that can depend on other module projects. The first part is a desktop app that allows you to generate modules. The other is an editor plug-in that provides a window where modules can export themselves to a local repository (did I mention I use maven at work?) and an update function that allows you to pull in your dependencies latest version from the repo. In reality I'm just importing and exporting asset packages, but this gets around keeping track of where all of those packages are located and overwriting them before pulling them in again.

As an extra bonus, it also maintains a separate visual studio project for each module and its dependencies since I've been deploying all of my scripts as DLL assets into the unity project.

I'm looking for any thoughts / feedback anyone might have on the project. If you've come up against the same issue and find this useful or are already solving this another way.