Search Unity

[ WIP ] UCC - Create custom morphs and modifications on any model

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Aerozo, Jul 21, 2015.

1. Duffer123

Duffer123

Sale may be too late to implement for Christmas period?

2. Aerozo

Aerozo

Unfortunately there won't be a sale any time soon. The price on the Asset Store is already lower than I'd like it to be and right now I'd rather keep the number of people using it steady so I can learn and improve things instead of having to answer a lot of similar support emails.

May happen sometime in the future though, who knows...

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  3. Recon03

Recon03

I was just giving advise based off your comment about getting more peoples attention.. From what I seen a sale is a great way so people even know your asset exist. or not.

Even if its a small sale, but its your asset if your happy with how many people you have and the price, then, so be it. Best of luck!

4. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

@Aerozo,

Did you ever submit an updated version that address the mirroring issue I was having, or do I still need to use the one you emailed me?

Also, any highlights on what new features will be added on the next release?

Thanks.

5. Aerozo

Aerozo

Thanks for looking out for me :) I've been thinking about it and I'll be raising the price by $5 each 0.5 release from now. That way I can do some sales in the near future.

You'll still have to use the one I emailed you. Not much will change by the final release, just some tweaks here and there. I'm preparing it for submission now so I'm hoping it'll be live by next week!

Will make new Quickstart and Tutorial videos once the submission is sent.

6. Aerozo

Aerozo

Just a quick follow-up. The submission is more or less ready and I'm hoping to send it off today. There are some improvements and optimisations from the email version that should make the experience a bit smoother.

Here are the release notes:
    --- Changelog for 0.25 ---

WARNING: This update is not backwards compatible! You will need to redo all of your vertex selections and weights.

New Features
    [NEW] Reskining: Reskining allows you to take any mesh and skin it to another mesh that's already skinned
    [NEW] Linking: Turbo Linker, copies and and links all modifications from one mesh to another and more!
    [NEW] Misc: Added an option to the right click menu for baking modifications to a mesh

Improvements
    Mesh: Made it easier to transfer modifications between meshes
    Mesh: Added option on MeshCustomiser to recalculate normals from triangles and vertices for the whole mesh
    Selection: There is now a button on each Vertex Selection that lets you deselect specific vertices
    Selection: Optimised selection backend, selections are faster and you can select more vertices without lag
    Selection: Rewrote some of the vertex selection code, Sphere and Box are the same size now and easier to switch between
    Selection: The mesh is now automatically turned to its actual position and orientation when a modification or selection volume is selected
    Selection: Box Volume can now be rotated on any axis
    Mirroring: Mirroring now happens in modification space (you can move the modification to change the center of the mirroring plane)
    Linking: Lots of improvements to modification Linking, no longer experimental
    Linking: You can now make a linked copy of a modification from the right click menu
    Weighter: Tweaked Spherical Weighter algorithm, scaling on each axis should work more uniformly now
    Parameter: Adding a new Parameter now populates the positive values with the last values in the Transformer before the parameter was added (so you don't have to start at zero again)
    Inspector: Added "Scene Edit Mode" to Transformers and Weighters for easy adjustment of values while editing
    Inspector: Added button to "Misc Settings" to toggle between the posed and selection orientation
    Inspector: Tools window now allows you to adjust Parameters in Play Mode
    Inspector: Item manager now has an easy to use inspector

7. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

This sounds interesting... what does that mean exactly?

8. Aerozo

Aerozo

It means you can take a model from anywhere in your project and attach it to an animated character as a piece of clothing.

I'm making the videos for these soon. Will post them here when they're ready so you can see what I mean.

montyfi and Licarell like this.
  9. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

So as
    So as long as I have a skinned character, any non-skinned clothing mesh will automatically morph and follow the animation? If so, that'll save me a ton of time to skin each piece of clothing!

10. Aerozo

Aerozo

That's what it's meant for but it's still early days. Right now it will copy the skinning from the closest vertex on the skinned model to the clothing mesh. Based on the models I've experimented with, it works well on some of them but not so great on others.

I do have some ideas on how to improve it though, so hopefully I'll find that magical solution for it somewhere down the line :)

montyfi likes this.
  11. futurewavecs

futurewavecs

To help with sales is Customization spelled Customisation in your country? I searched for this asset when I finally had the funds to buy it and it took me a little bit to find it but I kept finding MCS and UMA things easily. If you have any control over searching, naming on the asset store that might help with the visibility and thus increase sales.

12. Aerozo

Aerozo

Yeah, I'm in the UK so I spelled it that way out of habit ^^

As of the next version it's called "UCC (beta)" and I've added both spellings to the keywords so hopefully that should help a little. Also realised I didn't even have a link to the Asset Store page in the first post which was kind of embarrassing :oops:

hopeful likes this.
  13. Licarell

Licarell

You should put it in your signature as well...

hopeful likes this.
  14. Aerozo

Aerozo

Done :D

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  15. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

bleed.jpg I'm having a problem; depending on how the light hits my character model, I get this "rim light" effect in which the lighting wraps around the character. In the screenshot, one has UCC applied and the other doesn't. I tried a variety of shaders and I still get the same issue. I also tried checking the Adjust Normals and Adjust Tangents with no effect. Any suggestions?

Also, ever think about using some form of weight painting instead of using a sphere/box to select vertexes? It would be nice to have more control over which ones and how much weight each vertex should get. Just a thought!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  16. Aerozo

Aerozo

In the preview version, click on the mesh and then tick "Recalculate Mesh Normals" under "Settings" on the Mesh Customiser Mesh component. It will recalculate the normals for the whole mesh as you change it. Let me know if it works.

I'll try to add this to the next update (not the one the one that's just been submitted). The sphere/box selection was the quickest way when I started but with the changes in the latest update it *should* be possible to add painting now.

In the meantime, there's an "Edit Vertex Selection" button on each modification where you can exclude vertices. So if you select any extra ones just click on that and then click to make the ones you don't want red. Hope that helps.

17. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

All of your suggestions worked out well, thanks.

18. yxm0621

yxm0621

So we couldn't add animation on the part that we want to customize with parameters? I noticed that it doesn't allow me to add animation on the object with Customiser Parameter component... How did you add the idle and walk animation btw?

19. Aerozo

Aerozo

Did you add an Animator component to the same GameObject as the Parameter first?

Which model do you mean?
    If you download the latest version from the Asset Store and look in the "READ ME" file inside the Examples folder you can find a link to the examples package.
    The demo scenes are all built from those examples and have the idle and walk animations on them.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  20. yxm0621

yxm0621

Yes! And I could only animate the Transformer component, couldn't animate the Parameter component. So only when I delete the Parameter component (then the positive parameters will be under Transformer component), I can animate the positive parameters under Transformer component...

I downloaded the example package, but I could't modify the idle and walk animations on them:confused:...

21. Aerozo

Aerozo

Is there a reason you want to animate the Parameter values? The Parameter itself is already an animation and the Parameter Amount can be animated using the animation window.

You need to select the root of the character and go to Window -> Animator. That's more of a general Unity thing than something related to this plugin though.

22. yxm0621

yxm0621

Oh never-mind! I just realized that I could add more than one modification on the object :)
    I just want the object to be animated as well as change with the parameters.

Oh, I mean I couldn't find the object that is being animated...Did you make the animation in unity or import from fbx file? upload_2016-1-24_22-57-31.png

23. Aerozo

Aerozo

I copied it straight out of Unity's locomotion demo. The FBX is in "UCC Examples/Models/Unity Technologies/Animations". Didn't realise they had so many keyframes, lol.

24. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

@Aerozo,

Can you give me a quick overview on how to set up Re-Skinning, if that feature is available. Thanks.

25. Aerozo

Aerozo

IdrilKalean, DigitalAdam and chingwa like this.
  26. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

Thanks for this.

27. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

@Aerozo,

Should the re-skinning work with Modifications? If so, what's the work-flow? I can't get the morphing slider to change the shape of the reskinned clothing...

Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  28. Aerozo

Aerozo

Hey, unfortunately reskining removes all the modifications from the clothes mesh. If you watch the last part of the video, there's a new way to link up clothes with the body mesh in one click, hopefully that should help you get the modifications hooked up faster.

29. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

Any new updates or features coming up? :)

30. zenGarden

zenGarden

The plugin is fantastic.
    I would want to know if we can create sliders to modify a character for some in game character customisation ?
    Can we exchange characters clothes at run time and have clothes still perfectly follwoing the character moves ?

31. Aerozo

Aerozo

I've been very busy this month so no update :(
    I'm hoping to find some time in April / May to add some of the things on the to-do list (like selecting vertices by painting).
    In the meantime, I might start compiling a list in the WIP thread so people can vote on the features they want the most. That way I can focus on the most popular ones :D

Was there anything particular you were hoping for?

Yeah, absolutely. There's a slider system in there already (sliders are called Parameters).
    There's a basic clothing system too (create slots, put items in slots, change between items in each slot through code).
    Check out this WebGL demo to see it working (it's included as an example ): WebGL Demo 2

32. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

I know I'm able to choose which vertices I would like to remove, but another feature which would be helpful is to assign how much weighting it has. That way I have more control other than changing the scale of the volume.

I was also hoping that you were going to release an example of your system similar to Black Deserts mesh customization too. :)

33. IO-Fox

IO-Fox

Looks promising! Keep up the outstanding work!

34. Aerozo

Aerozo

I'm gonna add some new ways of doing weights in the next release that should hopefully cover what you want, so far I've got the following in mind (no guarantees they'll all make it):

1. Box weighter - Same as the current spherical weighter but box shaped
    2. Gradient weighter - Pick point A and point B and assign weights between the two points on a curve
    3. Paint weighter - Paint your own weights on the mesh
    4. Weight overrider - New component to add under a weighter, it'll let you use any weighter and paint changes on top

That's sort of already possible (for hair at least) but I felt it wasn't very polished so I didn't include it in the current version. If you'd like to try what I have though, I can upload a demo build or send you the example scene I was working on.

Thanks! Feel free to throw in any ideas or features you'd like to see :D

35. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

I would like some way to control the amount of volume influence. Weight painting came to mind, similar to painting skin weights in Maya or Max for example. Sounds like you have some ideas in mind, so thanks for that. :)

I would love to try/see what you have in regards to mesh customization!

36. RoyArtorius

RoyArtorius

One thing I would like to see is when reskinning a mesh to another that the proccess to take into consideration the skinned mesh's pose as it is in the editor.
    I have an armor mesh that was made in a T pose and the mesh I need to skin it to is in a relaxed A pose.
    I adjusted the skinned mesh's pose using another asset but it reverted to it's original pose when the reskin process began.
    Or at least a way to adjust the skin weights.

37. FlynnUOGM

FlynnUOGM

Where can i find a complete list of features with explanations? Are 'jiggle' physics implemented and if so how well does your system work with hair (long and short)? What about support for various types of faces & heads?

Also, I wish to create some anime style models to use. What should I know in advance to make sure they work with UCC?

Last edited: May 16, 2016
  38. Aerozo

Aerozo

Noted.

I'm going to rewrite (and rename) the Reskinning feature for this release so I'll take the clothes posing on board.
    Editing skin weights *might* become a thing in the distant future but right now I can't think of a good way to do it.

39. Aerozo

Aerozo

Hi and welcome to the WIP thread :D

The first post has a bunch of things I'm hoping to add but they're not in there yet.
    You can find a full list of things it does right now in the release thread.
    The documentation is quite poor right now but I'm focusing on it in the next release (short video for each feature in the list).

Jiggle physics isn't done yet (I'm mulling over 3 different ways to do it). It'll be similar to the TRS transformer so you'll be able to weight which parts move the most, etc.

If you have examples of good and bad hair jiggle, please send me links so I can use them as references when I'm designing the jiggle system.

The current "Item Manager" that switches between options is slot based. So you make a slot, drag a few models into it and it will switch them on and off based on what's selected.

So in other words, you could make a "face" slot and drag all your faces in there and it will turn on the one you have selected.
    Then again, you could skip that, use the same face model and make a bunch of morphs for it.

Keep all the clothes in the same model file, export your character in the pose it was modelled in and try to make your skinned meshes have a scale of 1 on all axes (I think it's called reset XForm in 3DSMax).

That should help you avoid most problems.

Last edited: May 16, 2016
    theANMATOR2b likes this.
  40. Fluffy-Tails

Fluffy-Tails

I'm a potential buyer of this Asset and I cannot express my frustration enough with experimenting in UMA2 and MCS.
    After seeing your asset in action, I have abandoned both UMA2 and MCS.

Me and my team of artists are not programmers and I had some questions about this asset in particular.

We are using Adventure Creator, Rogo Digital LipSync Pro, Final IK, Puppet Master and other assets to help our game be awesome.
    Another asset we stumbled upon, due to our game having furry characters, is Fur Factory:
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/63526

Is there or will there be support for any of those assets I mentioned above?

The game we are creating is an explicit adult furry game and the amount of customization is absolutely STUNNING when looking back at UMA2 and MCS.

We have two goals, complete character customization down to the head and eye-shape, and realistically simulated sex.
    As artists, we can create our original content.

Will there be support for deformation collision, like male genitalia going into female genitalia?
    More specifically, we want one mesh to penetrate another for intercourse.
    An added bonus for us is pressure or collision deformation, like female genitalia wrapping tightly or loosely around male genitalia realistically.
    Can the morphs open holes like female genitalia to accommodate sizes?

What about soft body deformation and mesh to mesh collision?
    Upon seeing the breast and bra morphing and linking, we thought about object on object penetration like intercourse.

Will morph gravity, springiness, bounciness, jiggle, etc. be supported by bone, weights, etc.?

Hair is another issue we are facing and we wanted to potentially create a unique hair system in sections which can be configurable.
    Things like hair length, twist, rotation, curls, position, dynamics, forces, wind, etc.
    Our ideal method is to basically allow particular sections of a scalp to allow hair growth and let the player adjust the hair as they like.
    Another feature for that is hair braiding, looping, pony-tails, etc. for a lot of limitless possibilities.
    Substance Designer and Painter have procedural texturing methods I thought could be beneficial to this.
    Is generating hair based on a map from Substance Designer possible?
    Our theory is that sections of the scalp could be given their own texture space with procedurally exposed settings that allow customization and density.

We are also using ICE Creature Control which has large support for crowds which is what we want and it takes one model and instances them into a scene with a lot of awesome controls.
    Our ideal approach is random morph data based on our base meshes for each gender randomized along with ICE Creature Control.

Is it possible for a sort of... wizard for non programmers to get things up and running?
    To clarify, what about random features once everything is set up?
    Maybe a GUI or a way to expose controls on morphs in-game, we are artists and not programmers.

How about saving morph data as a character instead of baking?
    Baking would be nice too, but we like the idea of updating characters in our production pipeline instead of having a baked model we have no access to ruining someone else' experience in-game.
    In our game, we want to save morph variables or settings in-game to allow the player to have more of particular values that act more like weights themselves.
    Ideally, it would also help to have it save morph data somewhere so we can understand what our players enjoy most from playing as the generated morphs.
    Say the player likes a particular morphed character, particular interactions could save the morph information and instanced characters could be influenced by those interactions but still keep a threshold of some sort for variety.

ZBrush is a primary modeling tool used in our production of sculpting and modeling and is crucial to our project.
    Would information about the normal maps be supported from Substance Designer taken from ZBrush?

Regarding textures, we are worried about texture stretching and texel resolution, is there a way to eliminate that so we don't have to fight with texel space?

Substance Designer and Substance Painter are our primary method of texture creation, is there support for that?

I understand this is a lot to ask, but these are particular unique features we are looking for in our game.
    We appreciate any feedback that helps us create our ideal experience for us and our players :3

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  41. Aerozo

Aerozo

Hi Janet,

Thanks for the interest in UCC.

First thing to note is, there won't be any active development on UCC after the next version is released. This means I'm not taking and won't be taking any more feature requests from now on and support will be limited to bug fixes and keeping things up-to-date with the newest version of Unity.

I can't guarantee it will work with any other applications or assets. If it works with them, it'll be purely by chance.

Like, I said, no new feature requests. If it's any consolation, these wouldn't have made the cut anyhow, as they're specific to adult games rather than general character customisation.

No, this plugin only lets you morph vertices on pre-modelled and downloaded characters. It's also useless for any meshes that are procedurally generated at runtime.

Unfortunately not. There is a link to a YouTube channel in the documentation to help you get started but there aren't many videos on there at the moment and some of the documentation is outdated and lacking.

It's on my internal to-do list but it will most likely require code to make it work. I can't promise it will be workable for you if you are a non programmer.

No clue, like I said, I can't gurarantee it will work with other plugins or applications.

Same as above.

42. Metatronic

Metatronic

If I morph a character beyond what the piviots in he rig originally have. Do have any facilities to tween the rig also?

43. Duffer123

Duffer123

@Aerozo ,

Any chance of a Unity 2017.2 version release?

44. Aerozo

Aerozo

Possibly, although you may have to wait a while for it.

Has it come up with errors or just stopped working?

45. Duffer123

Duffer123

I'll be honest. Not an owner (who could answer) but this was always the dark horse asset that might answer some prayers for me...

46. JuanJSAR

JuanJSAR

The asset is still supported ... does it still work?

Duffer123 likes this.