Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[WIP] Tyrian SDK

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Reapazor, May 8, 2015.

1. Reapazor

Reapazor

So it's time that we show off a peak at an internal project, dubbed the Tyrian SDK.

The idea is to create a tight integration in Unity to make games like Tyrian or Raptor: Call of the Shadows. You'll also notice that we are picking up support of the original developers, and are working towards a possible future endeavour.

The intention is to release the SDK eventually on the UAS, and to further develop it as we make a game based on it.

All content assets in the video are there for demonstration purposes only.
    This is a background project, so progress takes a while, but it also gets the perk of being a labour of love.

Thats all for now :) I hate how I sound in the video ... i know :(

2. Reapazor

Reapazor

And here is a more thorough look at the collision side of things, and how they will project onto the model as well.

This came from some feedback of what happens when an impact is triggered by a shifted collider (red line) outside of the visible model.

3. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

Nice. You had me at "Tyrian" and "Raptor".

4. Reapazor

Reapazor

Well I guess I'm posting here from now on for your pleasure :)
    Heres a more interesting view showing how the depths don't matter.

5. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

I would have never thought of implementing it like that. I wanted to make a shooting game like Tyrian with a not so serious story, but it never went more than just some art.
    This actually solves some stuff that had to do with graphics effects. I did watch the videos, but i don't remember if you can select if the enemy will receive the hits or not. Also, i'm guessing that there's a system to allow the developer to make enemy wave patterns?

6. Reapazor

Reapazor

I've had a chance to work on this in the background for almost a year (which seems like a long time, but with a day job doing the same, I don't always want to spend my nights doing this). I have tried all sorts of methods to handle the physics/collisions from doing what i'll call large vertical shape casting in PhysX, to using a depth texture to calculate it all ... in the end performance was the deciding factor. Squishing everything into a 2D plane, using "proxy colliders" and piping it all through Box2D has avoided many potential bottlenecks and given some incredible performance.

In the case of projectiles, they tie to a 'caster' system using events. This is still in development, so the editor inspectors aren't implemented yet. The idea is that a caster can target against certain layers which define the objects it can hit. In this way any script can latch on to the OnHit event and execute its own code. The casters themselves manage converting the world coordinate system into the collision system space.

Right now I'm doing a minor bug fixing pass (having worked on a collision bug for nearly 3 weeks, the list of minor things I've noticed has grown a little too big for my liking), and will be working on adding shot patterns next. I need to experiment with the idea that in Tyrian specifically, your shots were slightly effected if not steered by your movement after they were fired. It totally breaks the idea of separating the two (your ship and the shot). However, Tyrian still has a strong community that seem to like that feature.

After that I am looking to do the enemy wave pattern type logic.

One thing about enemy logic, the system is designed that anyone can implement their own logic as the enemies / objects live in world space ... so you could use pathfinding for movement, you could setup triggers like normal to activate them. I do plan on having some that are tied to the camera path however, just its on the TODO list for now.

There also a ton of things I'd like to improve on in the existing systems, for example the camera pathing / preview stuff I'd like to create a PathSplit type node which would then all the path to branch and merge later on ... or result in different endings. I'm some way off before I even think this is ready for use by other people; the documentation needs to be created and tutorial videos need to be made; and of course there is the KickStarter option to look at for making the actual game.

Alas, my normal job calls :)

Cheers!

Attached Files:

7. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

Well i hope it'll be released in the end, as i think it can be used for more than just a shooter.

8. Reapazor

Reapazor

Agreed, I've had a few people express interest in the systems I'm building for sure.

9. Reapazor

Reapazor

Devlog #1

I'll try to do some sort of devlog every 2 weeks showing how things are going ... I'm thinking thats a fair span of time allowing me to do other work, and still get some good features into the SDK/Game.