Search Unity

Games [WIP] Treacherous Journeys - Multiplayer Online Action RPG

Discussion in 'Projects In Progress' started by Jesper-Nielsen, Aug 20, 2021.

1. Jesper-Nielsen

Jesper-Nielsen

CampsiteCroppedBigLogo.jpg

Welcome to the devlog for Treacherous Journeys, a Multiplayer Online Action RPG I've been developing for around 6 years now.
    It's heavily inspired by classic Action RPGs like Diablo, Torchlight and Path of Exile, but it's multiplayer with a shared world similar to MMORPGs.
    Of course the scope is much smaller than games such as World of Warcraft, which is why I prefer using that term to describe the game, although you might catch me using it as a hashtag...

The client is using Unity of course, while all serverside code is C# / .Net core.
    I plan to go into more details in this thread, and I'll also be happy to answer any questions you might have.
    If you feel like taking a look at it I have a demo on itch.io:

https://treacherousjourneys.itch.io/treacherous-journeys

levelbuilding.jpg

2. Jesper-Nielsen

Jesper-Nielsen

A little bit on the background for the game:
    Back around the turn of the millennium I was playing a lot of MUD - Multi User Dungeon, text based online RPGs - as well as Diablo and of course a lot of other games.
    I first started writing a mud engine in Java but decided to make it an isometric 2D game.
    My own inability to create art for the game as well as me becoming a father in 2004 eventually led to the project being abandoned. I did create a bunch of smaller projects also, like Tetris or Pong clones.
    But this was the game I had always wanted to make and back around 2012 I kinda picked up the pieces and started working on the networking part, rewriting what I remembered from my Java code in C#. I expected to use XNA or OGRE for the client.
    In 2015 I found out that Unity was free for small developers and also discovered the asset store, so I bought a book to teach myself how to use it, while at the same time continuing to develop the server as well as client code - just with a simple Windows Forms application, showing dots for players.

upload_2021-8-24_10-55-57.png

When it came to implementing the game in Unity I found it advantageous to keep the same core client code which handles networking and part of the client-side logic.
    One thing I didn't have a solution for was exporting the Unity scene to my server, but I learned of the navmesh and how to get the navmesh data and after a bit of tinkering I had a working solution.
    The skeletons were still just roaming around though and there was no combat code yet - this is early 2017 - there had been a few longer pauses in development due to work pressure.

3. Jesper-Nielsen

Jesper-Nielsen

Right now I'm reworking and cleaning up my topology. It's used serverside and based on the navmesh, but I'm using polygonal pathfinding instead.
    I'll also be using this cleaned up topology for the minimap.
    The following before and after images are from my Worldbuilder tool - a Windows Forms application I use to create and maintain the files needed by the server.
    upload_2021-9-20_23-2-41.png

4. Jesper-Nielsen

Jesper-Nielsen

Made a small trailer for #pitchyagame - working on fleshing out more of the playable area with better rocks and vegetation because it's a bit barren.

5. CystemCV

CystemCV

Looks and sounds interesting. The only thing that bothers me are the fps drops in the videos. It looks choppy.

I will guess thats the recording and not an issue of the actual game right?