Search Unity

[WIP] Third Person Shooter Prototype

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by bahteles, Oct 25, 2014.

1. macodys

macodys

When is it coming? I can't wait! :)

bahteles likes this.
  2. bahteles

bahteles

Hey macodys, we are finishing some details and documentation and making sure we will publish the most solid and best 3rd Person Controller and Shooter framework available on the AssetStore :D.

We will post a new official thread with a new account soon, and i will update the link here, so stay tuned!

macodys likes this.
  3. DanielKW

DanielKW

@bahteles

Hi, I like the look of your framework. But I have some questions.

How modular are your components?

I was wondering, because I wanted to have a tpsrpg hybrid type game. Like have a character's Gun Skill affect the current guns accuracy etc.

bahteles likes this.
  4. bahteles

bahteles

@DanielKW we are using a very flexible weapon system and user friendly with custom editors, all the variables are public so you can make a gunSkillManager and control each variable at your current weapon equipped :D

DanielKW and macodys like this.
  5. DanielKW

DanielKW

Cool, thanks for showing me a pic, So I'm guessing the "Dispersion" is the gun's accuracy? Or is it the Recoil?

Also I was wondering, do you plan on adding a recharging gun system(like Mass Effect 1) in addition to an ammo based one?

6. stormsharks

stormsharks

I wish I could make a game like this. Maybe some day :)
    Great jobs on the animation and coding

7. dibdab

dibdab

I see there's 'UseDecal' and 'DecalObjectCount'. is it bullethole decal? the texture is on a different script?

8. bahteles

bahteles

Dispersion was a bad choice of word hahaha, I will change to spread, it is based on how many bullets the gun fire with one shot, per example: Shotgun shots 10 bullets fragments, so if you put 3x3 the bullets can spread based on distance, if you leave 0x0 there is no spread and the bullets go to the where you aim.

Thanks you @stormsharks, and you will be ABLE to make a game like this, I will release this Framework soon on the Asset Store :D

Yes there is a DecalManager to the scene, based on tags. I will explain everything about the framework with videos and documentation ;)

DanielKW likes this.
  9. stormsharks

stormsharks

Thanks you @stormsharks, and you will be ABLE to make a game like this, I will release this Framework soon on the Asset Store :D

Hell yeah!!!

10. macodys

macodys

Any updates or new screenshots?
    It's been a while and i can't wait :p ....

bahteles likes this.
  11. bahteles

bahteles

Yeah actually we take a pause on the Shooter project to make a really solid 3rd Person Controller with climb, stepUp, jumpOver, rolling, falling, several animations. It is almost done and we have plans to release at the end of this month (July) and then we implement the Shooter features and make a Upgrade ;)

macodys likes this.
  12. macodys

macodys

Yeah! Thats some good news. :p

13. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Very interested in this asset as well.

14. DanielKW

DanielKW

It's August the 7th, Just need a heads up. hows the project?

15. macodys

macodys

So.... Any news yet?

16. bahteles

bahteles

Sorry to keep you guys waiting, but we have some great News :D

Finally we finish our 3rd Person Controller template, this includes a basic locomotion with AAA quality and you can set up any humanoid model in less the 10 seconds!

I just upload the promo video, and I will create the oficial thread tomorrow but since I own you guys some updates, here it is, I hope you guys like it ;)

Mister-D, macodys and TheNorthridge like this.
  17. TheNorthridge

TheNorthridge

By the Nine! Such great work! Well done! :D

18. macodys

macodys

OMFG! Something tells me it was worth the wait!! The Hype is REAL!!

TheNorthridge likes this.
  19. Mister-D

Mister-D

looks really good! nice to see u used my "amanda" character in the video:cool:.

20. bahteles

bahteles

Thanks guys!! We have been work really hard on this one to make sure it feels great to play and anyone with a basic Unity knowledge can play around.

@Mister D, she's awesome,! I selected the coolest free models I found, and I gave you credit as BÜMSTRÜM in the video description to make it easier to search if anyone is interested

Mister-D likes this.
  21. peter_rodrigues

peter_rodrigues

This looks really awesome. I know in the video it says easy to set up new actions and animations but do you think you'd show a video of doing that? I'd love to set up a climbing a ladder animation or some melee combat animations. Alot of these controllers look tempting and I understand its just a template but honestly my game is trying to focus on melee combat and exploration and its a deciding factor on which template I should buy.

22. bahteles

bahteles

Hey peter, the reason that I decide to make this template is that I love 3rd Person Games, and I personally don't really like the solutions out there, most of the controllers feels cheap or not precise enough.
    I'm a developer that actually Play a lot of video games, so I have a lot of references to follow, if you know games, you will see a little bit of Dark Souls, Uncharted, Tomb Raider, The Witcher, etc...

And since I made this Controller for me too (I wanna make my 3rd Person Game as well lol), I try most of all to make it easy to customize things, all the basic stuff is here, groundCheck, groundDistance, lockPlayer, etc...

To add new animations like melee it is really easy (if you have basic knowledge of the unity animator) you can do it in 3 steps:
    1- Put your melee animation on the Action state of the animator controller and assign with a bool or trigger
    2- In the Controller script you will change this bool to true or call the trigger with a input
    3- In the AnimatorControl script you will verify if that animation has completed, and change the bool to false.

I will be happy to do a video tutorial for you, but my biggest problem on this project was always Animations, I have to hire a freelance animator guy to make this animations on the video, and my budget is a little low right now lol, perhaps I could use some mixamo free animations to make the tutorial, but I can't put on the package.

23. Teo

Teo

Looks good, when you plan to release this? Got any aprox date?

24. dibdab

dibdab

hello, it looks good, congrats on making it done. especially the hit by ball is done fine. and that you have running back and forth AND strafing at the same time on the same character, that's really cool.
    couple questions:
    root motion or no root motion? (or it works either way.)
    going to ragdoll: so I can expect similar behaviour with bullets etc.?
    is there any iK? (I ask because I prefer generic, and I think iK doesn't work w generic rig)
    questions which I'd not expect, but curious if it's possible or being planned:
    do the jump-overs and climb-ups work with different heights?
    sorry if thats too many questions.

25. bahteles

bahteles

It has been sent to approve to the Asset Store, so I'm guessing 15 ~ 25 days from today

Don't worry man, feel free to ask any questions. ;)
    - the controller use root motion, but it's easy to add extra speed on the locomotion if you want
    - We still don't figure out how to blend parts of ragdoll and character together, but it's on my plans
    - this controller works only with Humanoid, and we use IK for better animation behaviour, but you can turn off
    - Yes, on the object that you climb/jump/stepup there is a target height and can be modified to any height

* IMPORTANT
    I have created the oficial thread with another account (Invector)
    please post here frow now on :D
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/third-person-controller-template-by-invector.349124/

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015