Search Unity

Games [WIP] The Street King

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by RLin, Aug 10, 2018.

1. RLin

RLin

Hello all!!!

For the past several years I've taken my love for cars and video games and put them together into a video game.

The Street King is a mobile racing game where you take the wheel in an open world environment and participate in illegal street races. Dodge traffic, take down racers, customize and upgrade your ride to your heart's content, escape the cops, and become The Street King.

All of the following images are unedited screenshots taken using the in-game photo mode.

1532740003351.jpg

As of right now, the game features:
    • A partially completed open world with a city, countryside, canyons, and mountains
    • 16 fully customizable and playable vehicles
    • Deep customization system allowing for custom paint color and type, custom rims, body kits, spoilers, roof scoops, hoods, front and rear bumpers, and more to be modified independently of each other to create unique combinations
    • Dynamic daylight cycle including real-time dynamic shadows and sun flares
    • Real time reflections
    • Bloom and motion blur effects
    • Around 20 completed races (many more to come)
    • A theme song and other songs composed by me
    • Intense police chases with roadblocks, helicopters, spike strips, swat vans, and more
    • Police that can appear during races
    • Vehicle damage including visual mesh deformation
    • A two camera setup allowing for the entire world to be seen at any time
    1532996194324.jpg
    1531619357550.jpg
    1533777519607.jpg
    1533515366412.jpg

All 3D models, including the world and all vehicles, were created by me. Vehicle physics and other coding is also done by me. Any borrowed assets, for example some sounds and music, are shown in the credits screen.

I'm thinking of releasing the game as a beta soon. Gameplay videos and more screenshots are coming.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  2. cs747

cs747

Looks great, love the open world aspect of it. Could fill a void in the mobile market with this game, I would definitely try out the beta if you release it, looking forward to the gameplay video...

RLin likes this.
  3. cs747

cs747

Was curious what your approach to road creation is? There are some good plugins on the asset store for roads. Sounds like yours are modeled manually? I've noticed that most plugins do not seem to support on/off-ramp creation for highways, or tunnels. Did you have any challenges with that, and how do you handle mesh separation for LOD culling?

4. RLin

RLin

The roads are all manually modelled. There are actually only 2 lods for each road: one high detail lod for up close, and another low detail one. The low detail lod is a low poly version of the entire map that is textured using an image of the high poly version of the world.

cs747 likes this.
  5. RLin

RLin

Just created a YouTube channel and uploaded a video.

Note that there are some issues recording audio currently which I should be able to fix soon.

6. RLin

RLin

Another race, this time with cops and two widebody tuners.

7. RLin

RLin

I am looking at this Saturday or Sunday as a release date. The world is mostly finished and I have the first 30 races completed. The rest of the races will be added later in updates.

8. RLin

RLin

A showcase of the customization system.

cs747 likes this.
  9. cs747

cs747

Looking good dude, like the customization options

RLin likes this.
  10. RLin

RLin

The official trailer is here!

11. RLin

RLin

12. RLin

RLin

@MetroSimHustle have you gotten a chance to try it out yet? I'm having trouble getting download. Thanks!

13. cs747

cs747

@RLin Had a chance to try your game out tonight, dropped you a review on Android

A lot of love was put into this game, obvious by the detail and customization options, even the little things like cars honking as I pass by and realistic smashing on the guardrails. Audio is well done, and although the UI text was a bit scrunched on my device (Samsung S8), the UI is informative enough at just the right time - as when I first encountered the police as I was driving in oncoming traffic, I was given a quick briefing on the police... perfect!

From design perspective, I like that I am dropped into the world immediately and given the freedom to explore - although maybe it would be beneficial to include a quick tutorial race prior to entering the open world. I ended up getting pulled over by the cops before my first race which was a bummer, although I may have provoked the law enforcement ;) but the chases are great!

I recall some NFS games where I get the opportunity to drive a high end car in a short race at the beginning of the game as a sort of sampler, but the tutorial finishes, and I am put back at the bottom with a low performance car, and have to work the way back up, kind of a fun dynamic that can suck the user in.

Anyway having a lot of fun with your game, a lot of work has been put into it. I'll try out the more advanced customization options, and looking forward to more updates, cheers.

14. RLin

RLin

Thank you very much! The encouragement really helps

I did put quite a lot of work into this game, and heart too (For example, the silver car that you can buy at the beginning of the have has no significance in car culture whatsoever but I included it because we owned one in real life and I decided to immortalize it after we sold it).

Right now, there are a lot of issues I plan to resolve this weekend (for example, the font is a bit difficult to read as you mentioned) and much of that comes from the fact that I was forced to release now because college applications are approaching and it would be a waste not to show them this....

Overall, I will admit that this project was probably way too ambitious for a single dev but it still somehow turned out alright. It began with me randomly toying around in Unity to growing and becoming my first Unity game (although thankfully not my first game in general).

I will continue to update the game as often as I can in the future.

15. guetta18

guetta18

wow its lok good how much time taked you to get the current version ?

btw:
    it tooked me time to understand that buying is buy pressing the car's price.
    secodnly there isn't any option to change the sfx sound - its very annoying because the click button sound is very loudy.
    good luck!

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
  16. RLin

RLin

Thank you for the feedback! All feedback, good and bad, is appreciated. I will look into these issues soon.

It took several years to reach this point, although a lot of it was spent learning unity itself and during that time the game has gone through so many changes that I wouldn't consider it the same game that I started with. It was just a bunch of mini games until around 2 years ago when I finally got a clear goal and worked to where I am now.

17. RLin

RLin

I've released an update addressing those 2 issues. Thanks for the feedback!

18. RLin

RLin

@MetroSimHustle @guetta18
    I have some bad news.

A week has gone by and this app has barely broken 10 downloads even including all the friends and family members that I told to download it. I've tried advertising on social media and contacting sites for reviews. If none of this works, I may be forced to pull the plug on this project.

19. guetta18

guetta18

i think you getting conclousions that may be not the truth
    you should start some promotion planning to the app only after you getting a real some/kind of version that can be fun to play.

20. OffThHeezay91

OffThHeezay91

Very nice project. What is your average polycount on one car? They seem to be a very good quality to poly ratio

21. RLin

RLin

The problem is that I am going to college next year so I'll have significantly less free time, so if this project doesn't get anywhere, it might simply not be worth it. It's a hard decision and I haven't made it yet. Most likely what I'll do is still keep working on it but spend much less time on it and work in other projects too.

22. RLin

RLin

Poly counts are around 4500 on each car, though they do vary slightly depending on the current customizations chosen.

23. guetta18

guetta18

i think its a good decision

24. cs747

cs747

The mobile market is tricky. Be one of the best at your genre and know yourself and your competition. What is your competition doing that you aren't? What can you add to your game that your competition doesn't have?

One of the greatest advantages independent developers have is that although we can't always have the best graphics, audio, or animation, we can take risks that AAA developers just won't, because a bad gamble could destroy a large business. What kind of creative, low investment gameplay features could you put in to attract more players?

The fact that you actually released the game is a massive milestone in itself, many people, myself included, have abandoned projects in the past that could have been fully realized with more time investment. It's really satisfying to know you completed something big and didn't flush it halfway through.

Anyway, stay strong, looking forward to your updates, keep chipping away at it!

guetta18 and RLin like this.
  25. RLin

RLin

I've been busy with school lately but I'm working on updates. Here's a very early development screenshot of a much more sparse city from a couple years ago:

download_20171216_133250.png

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
    cs747 likes this.
  26. RLin

RLin

I've taken your suggestion and created a tutorial where you are dropped into a high-performance car that can't be obtained until later in the game. The tutorial automatically begins the first time the user plays the game, and afterwards, the player must buy their own car. The tutorial can be replayed at any time from the main menu but has no effect on in-game progress and does not reward the player with money.

sstrong, guetta18 and cs747 like this.
  27. cs747

cs747

Dude the update is amazing. Love the cinematics with the police chase, had a lot of fun playing the tutorial! Ended up buying some credits.

Found the UI buttons in the tutorial to be a bit finicky, I had to tap certain buttons several times to get them to work, might be specific to my device galaxy s8 not sure. Anyway love the new feature. Looking forward to more.

28. RLin

RLin

Thanks for the feedback! I have several completed but unpublished races with even more intense chases, so stay tuned for future updates!

It's probably because the buttons are too small-I usually test using my shield tablet and often times I use my Bluetooth controller so I don't touch the screen at all. I'll make the buttons bigger to make things easier for phone users.

29. RLin

RLin

I'm pushing out an update that adds more to the map and also adds in tier 3 races.

If at any time you encounter a bug or have a suggestion please tell me!

30. RLin

RLin

2018-09-30 (1).png 2018-09-30.png
    Working on modelling a new car...I will post a full timelapse video of the modelling process when I finish it.

31. Justice0Juic3

Justice0Juic3

Think I'd even enjoy this if it was on PC. Good job! :p

RLin likes this.
  32. RLin

RLin

download_20181006_221543.png download_20181006_221526.png I've brought the car in-game now! It'll hopefully be ready for release next weekend.

mdreptile likes this.
  33. RLin

RLin

@OffThHeezay91 here is a time lapse of the entire car modelling process:

cs747 and sstrong like this.
  34. sstrong

sstrong

You're in a very competitive market and most end-users don't have any idea what is involved in making a game like yours. They will compare you with a big budget studio game as if they were the same. They have no idea, but we do, so don't loose heart.
    Getting your game released is more than most achieve at your age. Good job!

RLin likes this.
  35. cs747

cs747

Models looking great.

RLin likes this.
  36. RLin

RLin

Screenshot_2018-11-11_17-12-41.png Finally named the countryside "Creekfield" and gave it its own police force!

cs747 likes this.
  37. RLin

RLin

It's veteran's day, so here's an intense battle against three patriotic street racers:

cs747 likes this.
  38. RLin

RLin

Do you guys like the idea of giving police officers names? Here's a video of what it looks like:

mdreptile likes this.
  39. RLin

RLin

A crazy cop chase with an even crazier opponent.

Also, this video shows something I'll add in the next update...take a guess at what it is! Hint: look at my car.

40. RLin

RLin

Screenshot_2018-12-25_18-26-59.png Screenshot_2018-12-25_18-26-56.png Decals and window tint coming soon!

41. RLin

RLin

download_20190216_190902.png download_20190216_190911.png Engine models are coming to the next update!

eaque and cs747 like this.
  42. RLin

RLin

Sorry for the inactivity as of lately...I'm currently working on the top of Rocky Summit! I'll be releasing an update soon so you can explore a snowy and challenging mountain road.

Screenshot_2019-03-31_17-52-05.png Screenshot_2019-03-31_17-54-48.png Screenshot_2019-04-16_17-54-46.png Screenshot_2019-04-17_18-21-26.png

43. RLin

RLin

Here's a video of the snowy mountain top. The update will come out very soon!

44. RLin

RLin

Along with the other features in the 1.0 update, I've updated the logo of the game. Icon_new.png

45. RLin

RLin

As requested by many, a new update with many new cars is coming to The Street King. Here's a peek at one of them being modelled!

New Cars.png

46. ksudds27

ksudds27

Can u plz make this game available to iOS users it looks amazing which there were more ppl out there like u who make the unthinkable reality nice work plz add mobile u’d be surprised who many want this game available to iOS the player count would ascend quite a bit as well

47. RLin

RLin

Please see the blog post I made about why adding iOS support is very difficult right now: https://rlin8910.wixsite.com/rlin/post/multiplayer-ios-piracy-and-the-future-of-the-street-king

The problem is, The Street King makes next to 0 income, so I can't afford to spend thousands buying a Mac, an iPad/iPhone for testing, and an Apple App Store license. The game doesn't make enough money for me to be able to afford an iOS release at the moment.