Search Unity

1. We've closed the job boards. If you're looking for work, or looking to hire check out Unity Connect. You can see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2017.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Unity Gear Store is here to help you look great at your next meetup, user group or conference. With all new Unity apparel, stickers and more!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're a macOS 10.13 High Sierra user take be sure to read this before updating Unity.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Introducing the Unity Essentials Packs! Find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Unity 2017.3 beta is now available for download.
    Dismiss Notice

[WIP] The Halls of Camelot - Sandbox MMORPG

Discussion in 'Works In Progress' started by hallsofcamelot, Sep 15, 2014.

1. k1mset

k1mset

Haha I have, I actually own a full permanent license to Arteria, I absolutely love Steve's work!

hallsofcamelot likes this.
  2. hallsofcamelot

hallsofcamelot

GameTechnix likes this.
  3. hallsofcamelot

hallsofcamelot

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
    Jamster, RavenOfCode and RonnyDance like this.
  4. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

I never saw the Arteria3d Website. Looks pretty cool! I also have some Castle Requests which I need.
    Possible that I will ping Steve for that. :)

Btw. Brian: I tested your latest build. Really good work! I like the Java Patcher :)
    Will you add some grass textures soon? Because the terrains did not contain any grass, ferns etc. Or perhaps I am blind ;)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  5. hallsofcamelot

hallsofcamelot

@RonnyDance

Hey man, thanks for checking it out!

Ya, I will be adding grass, bushes, stumps, sticks, etc to the existing terrain at a later date!

The reason I didn't do it already is that it took me two months to come up with the process's for converting the speed trees and rocks into something that could be used to create a dense forest (ala 40,000 trees and 10,000 rocks). It doesn't just work like that out of the box. LOL!

Also, there are a couple bugs with the scripts that handle the LOD in the current release. You may notice trees and rocks disappearing for a short time as the player gets close to the LOD transition points. The good news though is that these bugs have been squashed and will be part of the 1.4.3 release.

Also, I have just spent the last few weeks working on Character Creation...

Currently there are ten playable DAZ characters:

Human Male
    Human Female
    Dwarf Male
    Giant Male
    Giant Male Tall
    Fae Male Elf
    Fae Female Elf
    Fae Male Ent
    Fae Male Satyr
    Fae Male Leprechaun

These have been integrated with a new action based controller by ootii (ootii fan here). The character controller and scripts to make it work were only possible because of ootii's great asset's and my MessagingFramework (described above).

The parkour system is especially awesome and I hope to release a small obstacle course for people to test out the characters with in the next update.

Thanks so much for checking this out!
    :)
    Brian

http://www.hallsofcamelot.com/

RavenOfCode and RonnyDance like this.
  6. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

Nice to see another ootii Motion Controller user.
    I am still between ootis Motion Controller (with Adventure Camera) and Third Person Controller of opsive. Ooti is doing a great work and the Motion Controller specially the Walk on Walls feature. The Vault with the work of other users is also awesome.
    Opsive is great because it has already so much 3rd Party Asset support like Iventory Pro, Dialog System etc. out of the box.

Pretty hard decision. I just need a good fast controller for Blade and Souls / Tera fast action combat / movements.

7. hallsofcamelot

hallsofcamelot

k1mset likes this.
  8. hallsofcamelot

hallsofcamelot

RavenOfCode likes this.
  9. hallsofcamelot

hallsofcamelot

New Release 1.4.5 - 03/19/2016 - Village Church Update 2

[​IMG]

- Result of the New Automated Model Import Process
    - The scene now has 2 million polys instead of 6 million + texture atlasing

Thanks!
    Brian

RavenOfCode likes this.
  10. hallsofcamelot

hallsofcamelot

RavenOfCode likes this.
  11. AaronVictoria

AaronVictoria

Great update Brian. From one MMORPG coder to another, keep up the good work. I know the road is long and hard, but it's so worth it. Been following your thread for a while, and I can't wait to see more updates from you.

Jamster and hallsofcamelot like this.
  12. hallsofcamelot

hallsofcamelot

New Release 1.4.7 - 04/24/2016 - Camelot Update 2

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

New City Walls
    Statues
    Royal Crest
    Knights Pavilion
    Player Housing

Thanks!
    Brian

RavenOfCode likes this.
  13. hallsofcamelot

hallsofcamelot

Last edited: May 4, 2016
    RavenOfCode likes this.
  14. hallsofcamelot

hallsofcamelot

New Release 1.4.8 - 05/16/2016 - Systems Explorer Update

[​IMG]

Explore the inner workings of the custom scene graph and event based message system.

Thanks!
    Brian

RavenOfCode likes this.
  15. hallsofcamelot

hallsofcamelot

Preview of upcoming release 1.4.9 (5 weeks work)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Release 1.4.9 will have the following updates. I expect it to be ready in two weeks.

Account Management Update 5
    Character Selection Update 4
    Character Creation
    Update Unity Client to 5.3.5
    Daz3d Genesis 3 Humans
    Invector Controller

Thanks so much!
    Brian

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
    RavenOfCode likes this.
  16. hallsofcamelot

hallsofcamelot

RavenOfCode likes this.
  17. hallsofcamelot

hallsofcamelot

18. ImAldu

ImAldu

This looks incredible. You've made some massive progress. I can't wait to see how this turns out. Any ETAs on open/closed alpha/beta/etc?

19. hallsofcamelot

hallsofcamelot

Hi ImAldu!

Thanks for the kind words!

I am currently working on Character Creation and hope to release it in a week or two.

I have recently changed from using UGUI to using ZFBrowser + JQuery and have noticed a huge productivity increase!

This is because doing the UI has been an iterative process for me.

The time per iteration is just too high using UGUI.

When using UGUI I have to navigate stacks of objects and configure things.

However, when using ZFBrowser, I only have to hit reload to see all my changes.

Also, I appreciate having all my layout and styling in a single file, not embedded into a huge hierarchy of objects.

[​IMG]

> Any ETAs on open/closed alpha/beta/etc?

Officially, you have been able to download the pre-alpha since October of 2014. This is not the playable release that you are asking about, but is available none the less.

I think that the best way to answer your question is to talk about the features that are required to be a minimum viable product. Of all the systems and content listed below, only the patcher, database and account management system are ready.

Systems:

- Database (OK)
    - Networking (OK)
    - Patcher / Update System (OK)
    - Account Management (OK)
    - Character Selection
    - Character Creation
    - User Interface
    - Combat
    - Questing
    - Crafting
    - PVE
    - PVP

Content:

- Camelot Zone
    + Stonehenge (OK)
    - Avalon Zone
    - Playable Characters
    - Non Playable Characters
    - Outdoor Environments
    - Buildings
    - Castles
    - Dungeons

Thanks so much!
    Brian

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
    RavenOfCode likes this.
  20. ImAldu

ImAldu

Interesting. So as far as your systems go, you only have those two done so far? Hmm. Maybe I could be of assistance.

As far as content goes, how many of those things do you have done or close to it?

I'd love to help out on this project. I will PM you after I'm done with this reply.

Regarding your PvP system, getting a barebones version of that up and running shouldn't be all too difficult depending on how complex you want the PvP to be. The PvE also shouldn't be all too difficult if you start with a scrappy version of it just for looks and alpha gameplay. I imagine the UI and crafting system to be the most complex if you're trying to be unique. However I could be wrong, you seem as if you're a competent programmer.

21. Damien-Delmarle

Damien-Delmarle

look interesting but two questions:
    why no ground textures?
    why no mac client?

22. hallsofcamelot

hallsofcamelot

Hi Guys and Gals!

I just finished making changes to the hallsofcamelot schema (that represents the database for The Halls of Camelot) to support character creation. The way it works is that you model the database in an xml schema file. The WickedFast Solutions CodeGenerator then processes the schema and emits the Java code. The Java code is then used by the server to interact with the database.

1. Schema for Halls of Camelot Database
    2. Javadoc of Generated Code
    3. Code Metrics from Generated Code
    4. Database Schema

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Happy Friday!
    Brian

http://www.hallsofcamelot.com/ <- Shameless plug for my game

http://www.wickedfastsolutions.com/ <- Shameless plug for my software company

RavenOfCode likes this.
  23. hallsofcamelot

hallsofcamelot

RavenOfCode likes this.
  24. hallsofcamelot

hallsofcamelot

RavenOfCode likes this.
  25. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

Can we play this game already?

26. hallsofcamelot

hallsofcamelot

27. hallsofcamelot

hallsofcamelot

28. hallsofcamelot

hallsofcamelot

alexanderameye and RavenOfCode like this.
  29. hallsofcamelot

hallsofcamelot

30. AaronVictoria

AaronVictoria

Did you decide to abandon the realistic look?

31. hallsofcamelot

hallsofcamelot

Hi, AaronVictoria!

Quick Answer: YES

I changed to a low poly, faceted, polygonal, look... (with some textures for things like leaves that would otherwise look terrible)

Here are some screenshots from my latest version. (09/25/2017)

Long Answer:

When I first started the project I wanted to make a realistic MMORPG.

Turn up the graphics was my motto.

The problem is.. that even though I composite the scene at run-time with my super-superior-wonderful dynamic texturing atlasing and highly optimized heroic scene-graph and a list of 100 performance improving techniques to while away the endless hours that I do not have... I still couldn't get it to be performent enough for the number of players that I want to support. Notice the forest areas.. with just trees, stump and rocks... this scene has over 14,000 objects in it... wait till I add shrubs and flowers and grass.

Enter Daz....

Recently, I looked at my daz account and realized that I have spent over 15,000 USD on daz3d items. I have hundreds of models and like 8 game licenses from different vendors. Of course, this is not enough money for them, so they slap on obfuscated licenses that say you can use their stuff in game.. until they change their mind.. and there is enough wiggle room for them to tell you that you cannot use them anymore. Also, that you cannot use items.. like a daz shield and sell it in an auction house, for example. The licensing alone should be enough to scare most developers away..

Oh... and the other problem with daz... 25k base models and 100k outfits... This might be fine for a single player game with 5 to 10 characters on screen at a time.. 250 characters killing a dragon.. not so much...

I have spent the last few months converting camelot over and for the most part, I am pretty happy with the conversion.

I think that stonehenge even looks better than before.

My biggest worry is that people will not be able to take this look and feel seriously...

But for my own part, it doesn't feel all that different to me and it actually plays quite well.

[​IMG]

Thanks!
    Brian

32. AaronVictoria

AaronVictoria

Looks amazing man! And yes, I know many people that have used Daz3D models for their games and noticed too late that they couldn't manage the technical demand for them. Those aren't even reasonable for a single-player game, to be honest; not in their standard polygonal format. They'd need to be brought way down and have 2-3 LODs on top of that. This style looks really good, but as you said and I agree, people won't take it seriously in any majority fashion. However, there are people that have lesser machines, laptops, and even browsers that would love a well performing MMORPG experience that I think would really turn to a game with this level of detail.

It was a huge move I'm sure, probably a very long and stressful one, but I feel you did a good thing. I'm still with you on it, as I'm not a guy that's all about graphics. I'm gameplay first graphics after; not to say that even with good gameplay, graphics could compromise my desires for a product. So I look forward to seeing what's next. I love the new screenshots!

33. DevKirbyrawr

DevKirbyrawr

Great progress! Keep it up!

Edit: Yeah i'm still here : D

34. hallsofcamelot

hallsofcamelot

In-Game Role-Based Scene-Graph Editor Demo

Everything in the game (tree, rock, building, npc, etc) is managed by my custom scene graph. The scene graph is responsible for culling, lod, atlasing, among other things. Now, in conjunction with my role-based in-game editor. People other than me can modify the game. The video demonstrates configuring an npc, cloning a tree, changing the time of day and sampling some music.

Thanks!
    Brian