Search Unity

Games [WIP] The Halls of Camelot - Multiplayer RPG

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by castlesidegamestudio, Sep 15, 2014.

1. castlesidegamestudio

castlesidegamestudio

And lo, when matins concluded and that first mass broke assembly, in the churchyard there appeared, near the highest altar, a great stone of four square, as unto a stone of pure white marble, and upon that stone a foot of steel in the shade and shape of an anvil, and within that anvil a fair sword, stuck near to the hilt by its point, there inlaid with gold and ivory Roman letters:

"Whoso pulleth out this sword of this stone and anvil, is rightwise king born of all England." - Sir Thomas Malory

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
    eaque, Matt-Roper, mysticfall and 3 others like this.
  2. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Looks awesome!

castlesidegamestudio likes this.
  3. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Going forward! That's nice, i hope this new year you can in your game a lot of things actually it's looking really good : )

4. ManAmazin

ManAmazin

looking good , good luck going forward!

5. iamsteele

iamsteele

that bird sure can move!

6. N1warhead

N1warhead

Game looks great buddy!

Be cool if you added stuff from the Show Merlin. Well not exact stuff because of copyrights, but you might can get
    some ideas of structures and how things are done by watching that show. (MY FAVORITE SHOW EVER).
    It would be awesome to see some stuff that resembles stuff from the show Merlin.
    :).

7. N1warhead

N1warhead

Yeah I freaking love that show, I wish they made more shows like that, the death of Author right after finding out Merlin was a Sorcerer sort of ruined it, they should have at least showed an episode or two with the kicking a** together at least lol, heck it made me tear up to be honest, they were great actors.

But yeah I've noticed, a lot of the same mmo's are being made, but this one does seem different :).
    What Networking service are you using?

Yeah a couple years is awhile, but hopefully finished before that :)

8. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Looks really cool! Keep it up!

9. Muber Gaming

Muber Gaming

nice looking character,

so, this project just started?

seems there is no actual game play logic, right?
    just a scene and third person controller for the 1 character shown?
    so in other words is just the current art alone. you got a looooooooooooong way to go.

how many people are in this team?

if not many or just you, why dont you spend a few dls to buy an already existing mmo framework, ie: atavism server.

for less than $100 will save you years of tedious server and client coding work

cheers, art looking good.

10. YoungDeveloper

YoungDeveloper

Looks interesting, i saw the change log and i was wondering, that is a local solution, you use ready updater or you wrote your own?

11. YoungDeveloper

YoungDeveloper

@hallsofcamelot wow, I wasn't excepting such a detailed answer, you sure invested more time then i would ever dare to ask. I appreciate it very much, thank you. There's extremely low amount of information when it comes to content update, while it doesn't really sound That hard, security and version control is what scares me. These type of features should be implemented as fast as possible, as that will pretty much regulate you content production pipeline. I am currently finishing up writing overall working state for my server which doesn't yet include udp, encryption and ssl login. But i want to start implementing something similar right now. You sure gave some thoughts how to start, thanks again!

Like the Gothic and romanticism feel to the project esthetics btw ;)

12. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

It's getting better and better!

13. ImAldu

ImAldu

Looking good! The animations are pretty good too. Do you have a planned full alpha/beta?

14. Norseblod

Norseblod

Looks great... only few things that you probably already have seen yourself that I'll suggest (take as you will), I would suggest something for when you fall to limit the movement and a different animation. Also, looks like it could use some more shadows. The only other thing I see that could use a little sprucing up would be the initial stance. The arms to the sides just looks a little too flat and artificial. Not many people stand with their arms completely flush to their body and hands in front of their torso. :) But, this is just personal opinion on things I would look into. Keep up the good work. I love this style and was trying to do a viking age thing, but lack of people makes motivation low, lol

15. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

Hi Brian.
    The characters look really pretty. Good work!
    What Character System are you using? UMA?
    Looking forwared to more screenshots and videos.

Cheers
    Ronny

16. virror

virror

Looking pretty cool so far, just one question.
    How much of what you have dome so far are synced over the network? Can you see other players and what they are doing wearing?
    If not, you have a serious issue here, adding all that after is milage of pain instead of having that as a focus from the start.
    Keep it up! : )

17. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

I really love that you were able to include DAZ3d Characters to your game thats not straight forwared, which is a shame btw.
    I did not work with them but I find so many nice models that would fit in my game.
    I am also working on a community driven mmo which should have a good complex character creator. Until now I am stucked with Mixamo and will take a look to free Morph3d models.

Keep up the good work. It's looking better and better.
    Cheers
    Ronny

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  18. wanderingkender

wanderingkender

I'm fascinated with what you've done here. All of the engine was done with just Unity3D pointing to an EC2 server?

19. wanderingkender

wanderingkender

Ah yes...dragonlance how I love thee... I also read many of those novels (obviously) and still have a box buried in my basement somewhere with dozens of those books. I occasionally play a kender in some good 'ol D&D sessions with some friends. Good times. :)

I really love what you've done here, and the reason I'm drawn to it is because A, it's gorgeous, and B, your tool choices are on par with what I am exploring. C# and Java are in my toolbelt. I've have some experience with DAZ3D and Photoshop. While not new to programming, I'm a newbie to game development and am a bit overwhelmed by all the options, and then on top of that, understanding how they all fit as pieces to a puzzle. I appreciate the content you've supplied here - so your "Java Server" is handling the network and login it seems, but what's hosting the game/application? Is that all tied into the same "Java Server". Is that something you wrote from scratch or are you using a solution like SmartFox?

PS - the flying raptor video was awesome :)

PPS - A looong time ago, I had a 5 1/2 floppy game called Camelot. It was 2D and similar to kings quest, but bird's eye view. It was full of complex riddles, and a very unforgiving story (you die a lot...as it is with any old games..). Ever heard of it? There was a bogart named Widdershins who sang in riddles.

EDIT: Here's the wiki on it:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conquests_of_Camelot:_The_Search_for_the_Grail

20. k1mset

k1mset

Just my personal opinion, but for security reasons you shouldn't post source code of the login server to public eyes lol.

Looks really cool though, and I enjoy following your game.

21. k1mset

k1mset

Haha I have, I actually own a full permanent license to Arteria, I absolutely love Steve's work!

22. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

I never saw the Arteria3d Website. Looks pretty cool! I also have some Castle Requests which I need.
    Possible that I will ping Steve for that. :)

Btw. Brian: I tested your latest build. Really good work! I like the Java Patcher :)
    Will you add some grass textures soon? Because the terrains did not contain any grass, ferns etc. Or perhaps I am blind ;)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  23. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

Nice to see another ootii Motion Controller user.
    I am still between ootis Motion Controller (with Adventure Camera) and Third Person Controller of opsive. Ooti is doing a great work and the Motion Controller specially the Walk on Walls feature. The Vault with the work of other users is also awesome.
    Opsive is great because it has already so much 3rd Party Asset support like Iventory Pro, Dialog System etc. out of the box.

Pretty hard decision. I just need a good fast controller for Blade and Souls / Tera fast action combat / movements.

24. AaronVictoria

AaronVictoria

Great update Brian. From one MMORPG coder to another, keep up the good work. I know the road is long and hard, but it's so worth it. Been following your thread for a while, and I can't wait to see more updates from you.

Jamster and castlesidegamestudio like this.
  25. ImAldu

ImAldu

This looks incredible. You've made some massive progress. I can't wait to see how this turns out. Any ETAs on open/closed alpha/beta/etc?

26. ImAldu

ImAldu

Interesting. So as far as your systems go, you only have those two done so far? Hmm. Maybe I could be of assistance.

As far as content goes, how many of those things do you have done or close to it?

I'd love to help out on this project. I will PM you after I'm done with this reply.

Regarding your PvP system, getting a barebones version of that up and running shouldn't be all too difficult depending on how complex you want the PvP to be. The PvE also shouldn't be all too difficult if you start with a scrappy version of it just for looks and alpha gameplay. I imagine the UI and crafting system to be the most complex if you're trying to be unique. However I could be wrong, you seem as if you're a competent programmer.

27. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

look interesting but two questions:
    why no ground textures?
    why no mac client?

28. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

Can we play this game already?

29. AaronVictoria

AaronVictoria

Did you decide to abandon the realistic look?

30. AaronVictoria

AaronVictoria

Looks amazing man! And yes, I know many people that have used Daz3D models for their games and noticed too late that they couldn't manage the technical demand for them. Those aren't even reasonable for a single-player game, to be honest; not in their standard polygonal format. They'd need to be brought way down and have 2-3 LODs on top of that. This style looks really good, but as you said and I agree, people won't take it seriously in any majority fashion. However, there are people that have lesser machines, laptops, and even browsers that would love a well performing MMORPG experience that I think would really turn to a game with this level of detail.

It was a huge move I'm sure, probably a very long and stressful one, but I feel you did a good thing. I'm still with you on it, as I'm not a guy that's all about graphics. I'm gameplay first graphics after; not to say that even with good gameplay, graphics could compromise my desires for a product. So I look forward to seeing what's next. I love the new screenshots!

31. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Great progress! Keep it up!

Edit: Yeah i'm still here : D

32. cmcosby

cmcosby

Wow. And that doesn't underscore it at all. In all honesty, I would love to accomplish a similar goal but am a long ways behind. If you have any tips or tricks you are willing to share, that would be awesome. I am currently trying to achieve a third person game controller similar to that of DAOC. (Which I still play on Uthgard.net.)
    Looks great,

Cheers.

33. MadDocPro

MadDocPro

Hello!
    You've made a fantastic work! :)
    But why don't you work with lights more extensive?
    I think, more lights might bring more visual space into your scenes and make your models look more "volumestic". Some of your screens looks very "flat", as for me.

34. ryandotdee

ryandotdee

This type of game is not really my cup of tea, but, I am incredibly impressed by your dedication and progress on this. Well done, and keep up the good work :)

35. virror

virror

Very impressive to see that you are still working on this! Been lurking in this thread since the start : p

36. Fhiz

Fhiz

Great project - im following the thread since a while.

Thats a custom coded server-backend I guess and not one of those "MMO" assets (emphasis on the quotation marks) from the store?

37. CharisVik

CharisVik

I like the new cartoony look. i think with more props added it will look very cool.

38. Lostlogic

Lostlogic

Looks interesting. What do you do other than walk around? I watched a video but it didnt have any actions?

39. zenGarden

zenGarden

Interesting move from realistic to low poly style.
    You should get lot of content very quickly with simplified graphics.

The problem with a plugin baking vertex color is it will color triangles with different colors when they should have the same color , for example on walls, you loose control of the coloring.

While a texture map like Cinty Studios do makes the results lot more better, with probuilder it's easy to create content quickly and UV map to a color map table.

But it still looks good using vertex color baking.

Last edited: May 27, 2018
  40. CharisVik

CharisVik

I find the look pretty good. I think you found a great art style for your game.

The only thing that bothers me is the inside of a house in old ages should be more darker than outside.So all the candles,torches show more effect and realism.(this is more of an opinion)

Like Skyrim for example all the inside houses,temples and such rely very much little on natural light and more on other sources.It is just my opinion,even if u leave it like this its still look fine to me.

41. zenGarden

zenGarden

On your picture, the wall is cool, but it's no more like the original one color if you wish to keep the original look.
    The mots problematic is wall surrounding the door, it looks very glitchy while this could look cool for some people.

I agree, there is no rules, you could even mix vertex color, with some models using texture lookup table (Cinty studio like).
    You can also mix with full textures; for example on indoor and outdoor floors, or use textures to detail some character clothes or weapons.

Flat low poly style allow to create content very fast, while keep big frame rate, and the devs stay focused on gameplay instead of putting most dev time on graphics and high res textures and models.
    When it is used on a good way the results can look very appealing.

You should do a try and test your interior scene remaking it with pro builder and using a texture color table map, perhaps it will look even better than vertex baking giving random results and coloring.

Anyway, if you like vertex color baking, go for it.

Last edited: May 27, 2018
  42. zenGarden

zenGarden

Global illumination should help a lot on dark areas.

43. eaque

eaque

That's what i call an impressive one man project!! Fantastic man!
    I'm following! Keep it up! :):):)

44. AaronVictoria

AaronVictoria

45. AaronVictoria

AaronVictoria

Ahh yea that's a great point. I just finished paying to have a bunch of armor from the Legends of Etherell UMA models to our new custom models. In the meantime I have to use old UMA art for NPCs. Those models aren't bad, but the quality of the models are dramatically different. Therefore, I understand fully.

46. msamociuk88

msamociuk88

Reflection in the floor looks soo cool there ;o

BTW, You storing data as XMLs?

47. InstinctDevs

InstinctDevs

Any news on release + price??
    btw your game looks fantastic would love to play it.

48. InstinctDevs

InstinctDevs

@hallsofcamelot Good Luck:) for your game. Hope to see it in the top sellers soon after release.

49. zenGarden

zenGarden

Floor textures makes the whole looking lot better. Textures for floor outdoors could also look good.

50. InstinctDevs

InstinctDevs

Yay Downloading it right now!!