Search Unity

1. We've closed the job boards. If you're looking for work, or looking to hire check out Unity Connect. You can see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2017.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Unity Gear Store is here to help you look great at your next meetup, user group or conference. With all new Unity apparel, stickers and more!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're a macOS 10.13 High Sierra user take be sure to read this before updating Unity.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Introducing the Unity Essentials Packs! Find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Unity 2017.3 beta is now available for download.
    Dismiss Notice

[WIP] The Halls of Camelot - Sandbox MMORPG

Discussion in 'Works In Progress' started by hallsofcamelot, Sep 15, 2014.

1. hallsofcamelot

hallsofcamelot

[​IMG]

And lo, when matins concluded and that first mass broke assembly, in the churchyard there appeared, near the highest altar, a great stone of four square, as unto a stone of pure white marble, and upon that stone a foot of steel in the shade and shape of an anvil, and within that anvil a fair sword, stuck near to the hilt by its point, there inlaid with gold and ivory Roman letters:

"Whoso pulleth out this sword of this stone and anvil, is rightwise king born of all England." - Sir Thomas Malory

The "Halls of Camelot" is a massively multiplayer online role playing game (MMORPG) based upon the late medieval world of Sir Thomas Malory's - Le Mort d'Arthur. The game is currently in the design/prototype phase with an expected March, 2017 release date.

You begin the game at the height of King Arthur's reign in the city of Camelot. Your main activities will include: making war on your enemies or preparing for war with your enemies. As the game progress's, players will spend "specialization points" that they earn through pvp on different skills and abilities (thus generally becoming more powerful and versatile in war; or in the preparation for war).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hi,

My name is Brian, I am a software architect, living in Minneapolis, Minnesota with a passion for MMORPG's. I started playing MUDS in college and released my first area on Nannymud in (1990-1994). It is still there today! I had over 4,000 hours in DAOC (2005-2008) and have played WOW, Vanguard, Age of Conan, LOTRO, The Rift, Aion, and most recently Tera. Then I found Unity and for the past 2 years have been working every night on my own game. I am creating this forum in the hopes that I will meet people who share my passion for this genre.

My plan is to release my game in 2017 but instead of toiling away for the next three years anonymously I have decided instead to make a presence here and to release my game as often as possible. I have screenshots and a playable demo at http://www.hallsofcamelot.com/. I am happy to answer questions and am looking forward to some lively debates.

Thanks!
    :)
    Brian

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  2. hallsofcamelot

hallsofcamelot

High Resolution Terrain Texture Video Update - 12/24/2014

This Terrain replaces the previous terrain and has the added benefits.

Thanks!
    Brian

http://www.hallsofcamelot.com/

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
    DevKirbyrawr likes this.
  3. DevKirbyrawr

DevKirbyrawr

Looks awesome!

hallsofcamelot likes this.
  4. hallsofcamelot

hallsofcamelot

Thanks so much Kirby!

Merry Christmas!
    Brian

DevKirbyrawr likes this.
  5. hallsofcamelot

hallsofcamelot

[​IMG]

New Patcher and Flyover update!

Download the Current Release 1.2.1 - 01/01/2015 - (47 MB)
    *Note: The new patcher system is a 47 MB download. The current game size is 2 GB.
    Using the patcher now will allow you to get game updates in the future at a fraction of the size.

Flyover the world in real-time as shown in the images and video above.

Thanks so much!
    Brian

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
    DevKirbyrawr likes this.
  6. DevKirbyrawr

DevKirbyrawr

Going forward! That's nice, i hope this new year you can in your game a lot of things actually it's looking really good : )

7. hallsofcamelot

hallsofcamelot

Yup, that's the plan! Keep on moving forward! Another 10 to 20 releases this year and I might just start to have something!

Cheers!
    Brian

DevKirbyrawr likes this.
  8. Computerkid23

Computerkid23

looking good , good luck going forward!

9. iamsteele

iamsteele

that bird sure can move!

10. hallsofcamelot

hallsofcamelot

[​IMG]

New Release 1.2.5 - 02/12/2015 - The East Gate

Can be downloaded with patcher version 1.0.2

The East Gate (Between Camelot and Astolat)
    SUIMono Water
    Day and Night Flares
    Lady of the Lake - Now with Lake
    Merlins Tower Interior is Back (f key to enter/exit)
    Ambient light that changes color and intensity based on time of day

Thanks!
    Brian

11. N1warhead

N1warhead

Game looks great buddy!

Be cool if you added stuff from the Show Merlin. Well not exact stuff because of copyrights, but you might can get
    some ideas of structures and how things are done by watching that show. (MY FAVORITE SHOW EVER).
    It would be awesome to see some stuff that resembles stuff from the show Merlin.
    :).

12. hallsofcamelot

hallsofcamelot

@N1warhead

Thanks man!

Ya, my mom likes that show too. She has watched all five seasons a couple times. Wish they would release it all on blu-ray. I have recently brought on an english professor and he has been rewriting the website for me. He is also starting to flesh out some of the back story and quest lines. I will mention Merlin to him next time I see him.

Thanks so much for your interest in the Halls of Camelot, this next couple years will be exciting!
    Brian

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  13. N1warhead

N1warhead

Yeah I freaking love that show, I wish they made more shows like that, the death of Author right after finding out Merlin was a Sorcerer sort of ruined it, they should have at least showed an episode or two with the kicking a** together at least lol, heck it made me tear up to be honest, they were great actors.

But yeah I've noticed, a lot of the same mmo's are being made, but this one does seem different :).
    What Networking service are you using?

Yeah a couple years is awhile, but hopefully finished before that :)

14. hallsofcamelot

hallsofcamelot

@N1warhead

> What Networking service are you using?

For the patcher:

The patcher interfaces with an Amazon based ftp service called Hostedftp.com to download files etc. I ftp the files up and then allow the patcher to anonymously (read-only) fetch the files. It has been an excellent service so far.

For the game client:

Just plain old c# sockets on the client:

endPoint = new IPEndPoint (IPAddress.Parse (SERVER_ADDRESS), SERVER_PORT);

socket = new Socket (AddressFamily.InterNetwork, SocketType.Stream, ProtocolType.Tcp);

socket.Connect (endPoint);

Send ("UNITY_SCRIPT_VERSION " + SCRIPT_VERSION);

Receive ();

For the game server:

I have a Java server (I call it Zeus) hosted on the EC2 Amazon Cloud which uses vert.x and jetty among other things. If you search for ZeusGameServer on the forums you might find out more about it. I was gonna release it on the asset store but decided there wasn't enough interest or financial incentive to do so.

The server supports unity and telnet clients.. Eventually you will be able to chat and buy and sell things through a text-only chat interface through a custom html5 client on the website. That way you can play the game on your phone (at the restaurant) albeit in a limited capacity.

> Yeah a couple years is awhile, but hopefully finished before that :)

Well, even at 2 years its gonna be 8+ hours a day, every day, which is fine, I spent that amount of time playing these games from 1991 to 2012.

I am planning on a December 2016 release date.

Also, you name it, I have to integrate it.. or write it (worse).. I have worked with Bo@Coffeemud in the past so there may be some overlap there to speed things along..

A short list of some of the major things that need to happen in the next two years:

Combat system
    Character customization system
    Crafting system
    Quest system
    Leveling system
    Content
    Avalon (pvp area)
    Dungeons (pve)
    Testing
    Quality Control
    Optimization
    and Marketing!

Thanks!
    Brian

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
    N1warhead likes this.
  15. DevKirbyrawr

DevKirbyrawr

Looks really cool! Keep it up!

16. Muber Gaming

Muber Gaming

nice looking character,

so, this project just started?

seems there is no actual game play logic, right?
    just a scene and third person controller for the 1 character shown?
    so in other words is just the current art alone. you got a looooooooooooong way to go.

how many people are in this team?

if not many or just you, why dont you spend a few dls to buy an already existing mmo framework, ie: atavism server.

for less than $100 will save you years of tedious server and client coding work

cheers, art looking good.

17. hallsofcamelot

hallsofcamelot

Hi Muber Gaming!

Thanks for your interest in The Halls of Camelot!

I will answer your questions as best I can.

> nice looking character,

Thanks, it's a Daz3D character.

http://www.daz3d.com/giselle-6-pro-bundle
    http://www.daz3d.com/shieldmaiden-for-genesis-2-female

I choose Daz3D because it makes available a huge amount of professionally created content at a reasonable price.

For Example, I have the following licenses:

http://www.daz3d.com/indie-game-developer-license
    http://www.daz3d.com/rawart-indie-game-developer-license
    http://www.daz3d.com/merlin-studios-indie-game-developer-license

I still plan on buying other licenses.. for example emmaandjordi and jack tomalin

As far as the game is concerned, I am planning on having 6 main characters..

male and female fae, male and female human and male and female damned.

each character will have 5 different outfits that you can customize

Artisan
    Knight
    Wizard
    Priest
    Rogue

So the character customization scene will allow you to customize the appearance of your avatar
    and the five outfits.

> so, this project just started?

I started a few years ago trying to write my own game engine. Then switched to BigWorld, then moved to CryEngine
    and have been using Unity3d for the past year and a half. Unity3d is awesome and I have no plans on changing again.

The first public release through the patcher was in October of 2014.

I have a planned release date of December of 2016.

> seems there is no actual game play logic, right?
    just a scene and third person controller for the 1 character shown?
    so in other words is just the current art alone. you got a looooooooooooong way to go.

Yes, you are right there is a huge amount of work to do.

However, there is more than a single scene and character controller.

List of things in the current 1.2.7 release (which you can download and play through the website)

Patcher System - Uses asset bundles and an amazon based ftp service to download and play the game.

Third Person Character Controller

Scene with the following areas.

East Gate (Between Camelot and the Crafting Village)
    Astolat (Crafting Village)
    Merlins Tower
    Lady of the Lake

Female Fae Character with Character Customization Screen (don't underestimate the amount of work that has already been spent integrating the character in this way - about 200 hours)

Amazon EC2 Based Server.

The game server is in the amazon cloud. Download the game, type c to bring up the console and you can chat with other people among other things.

> how many people are in this team?

Myself and an English Professor that has been doing part-time (paid work) on the website. He's working on the epic quests and background character stories atm.

All the vendors that I hire and content that I buy. Daz3D, Unity3D, Chris Lines, Nick May Music.

> if not many or just you, why dont you spend a few dls to buy an already existing mmo framework, ie: atavism server.
    for less than $100 will save you years of tedious server and client coding work

I have considered atavism along with other ones. I am also considering using coffeemud. Each have their pros and cons. I have not yet made any decisions.

> cheers, art looking good.

Thanks!
    Brian

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  18. hallsofcamelot

hallsofcamelot

[​IMG]

New Release 1.2.8 - 03/30/2015 - Astolat - Crafting Village Update

Can be downloaded with Patcher version 1.0.4

Things in this release:

East Gate Hoarding Adornments
    Knight Statues
    Crafting Village Houses
    Trees

Thanks!
    Brian

DevKirbyrawr likes this.
  19. hallsofcamelot

hallsofcamelot

[​IMG]

New Release 1.2.9 - 04/10/2015 - Swimming!

Can be downloaded with Patcher version 1.0.4

Things in this release:

Swimming
    East Gate Fixes
    Terrain Optimizations

Thanks!
    Brian

DevKirbyrawr likes this.
  20. hallsofcamelot

hallsofcamelot

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

New Release 1.3.0 - 04/17/2015 - Stonehenge II

When you die, your lifeless body is brought back to life at Stonehenge. Depending upon your alignment you will either go to the above ground church (pictured above) or the below ground church (not yet pictured) to heal yourself and regain your strength.

Thanks!
    Brian

DevKirbyrawr likes this.
  21. YoungDeveloper

YoungDeveloper

Looks interesting, i saw the change log and i was wondering, that is a local solution, you use ready updater or you wrote your own?

22. hallsofcamelot

hallsofcamelot

@YoungDeveloper!

The patcher system is something that I wrote. It simply mirrors a remote ftp directory onto your local hard drive. By mirroring, I mean that it compares your local game files to files on the anonymous ftp server and ensures that they
    are the same. It does this by means of a manifest file that is created at packaging time.

The patcher system is actually composed of two different applications, the packager and the patcher. Both applications
    are written in Java.

The packager takes the raw game files and zips them and also creates a manifest of the files.

Raw Game Files:
    [​IMG]
    Packaged Files:
    [​IMG]
    Manifest:
    [​IMG]

The manifest file format is as follows:

filename | md5 hash of file contents | size of zipped file

The patcher uses the filename to request the file from the ftp server, it uses the md5 hash as part of the mirroring process) and it uses the size of the zipped file to display the percent downloaded to the user.

When you run the patcher, it connects to the remote anonymous (read-only) ftp server and downloads a few files. (I use an amazon cloud based service called hostedftp.com. They have been awesome so far).
    [​IMG]

First, it downloads the patcher.txt file to see what version of the patcher is supported. If the version of the patcher does not match the version in this file then the patcher exits. The current supported version of the patcher is 1.0.4.

Second, the patcher downloads the notes.txt file. This gets parsed and displayed to the user on the main interface.
    [​IMG]

Third, it downloads the releases.txt file to determine what directory to download the files from (in this case 1.3.0-release).
    [​IMG]

The patcher will only download files that it doesn't already have locally. If you were to delete some files from the game directory, or change their name or alter the content of the files, the md5 hash would be altered and the patcher would delete that file and download a new one from the server. Once all the files are downloaded and verified you can hit play and it will launch the game.

One of the take-aways from this is that you don't want your entire game to be stuck in the sharedassets1.assets.zip folder. A 1 or 2 gb sharedassets1 file will have to be downloaded every time you change something in it.. making the patcher useless. Therefore, I use asset bundles for all my areas and game characters (Anything that is heavy on meshes and textures) and load them in at runtime.

You will notice that the /StreamingAssets/ folder has all my bundles in them and that the files have a md5 hash for a name. This is to prevent people from easily changing the content of the bundles. When the game loads in the bundle it checks to make sure that the md5 of the content of the file matches the filename and if it doesn't it will not load that file.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks!
    Brian

Last edited: May 18, 2015
    YoungDeveloper and Eths like this.
  23. YoungDeveloper

YoungDeveloper

@hallsofcamelot wow, I wasn't excepting such a detailed answer, you sure invested more time then i would ever dare to ask. I appreciate it very much, thank you. There's extremely low amount of information when it comes to content update, while it doesn't really sound That hard, security and version control is what scares me. These type of features should be implemented as fast as possible, as that will pretty much regulate you content production pipeline. I am currently finishing up writing overall working state for my server which doesn't yet include udp, encryption and ssl login. But i want to start implementing something similar right now. You sure gave some thoughts how to start, thanks again!

Like the Gothic and romanticism feel to the project esthetics btw ;)

24. DevKirbyrawr

DevKirbyrawr

It's getting better and better!

25. hallsofcamelot

hallsofcamelot

[​IMG]

New Release 1.3.2 - 05/18/2015 Character Selection Part 2 of 4

4 Races Down - 5 Races to Go
    • Elf Male
    • Elf Female
    • Dark Elf Male
    • Dark Elf Female
    • Ogre Male
    • Ogre Female
    • Damned Male
    • Damned Female

This is part 2 of a 4 part release. Because there has been so much work involved I am releasing it in four parts.

Also, check out the many changes to the website :)

You can play this version by downloading it using the new patcher 1.0.5. (also part of todays release)

Thanks!
    Brian

DevKirbyrawr likes this.
  26. hallsofcamelot

hallsofcamelot

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

New Release 1.3.4 - 06/17/2015 - East Gate Bridge Update!

- New East Gate Bridge
    - Powerage Supreme Armor
    - New Mausoleum
    - New Music from Chris Lines

You can play this demo by downloading it from the website.

Thanks!
    Brian

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  27. hallsofcamelot

hallsofcamelot

[​IMG]

New Release 1.3.5 - 06/27/2015 - Inventory System

- New Inventory System
    - New Spawn Manager
    - Apple Trees
    - New Church

You can play this demo by downloading it from the website.

Thanks!
    Brian

28. ImAldu

ImAldu

Looking good! The animations are pretty good too. Do you have a planned full alpha/beta?

29. hallsofcamelot

hallsofcamelot

Hi ImAldu!

>Do you have a planned full alpha/beta?

We are keeping the schedule kinda loose at the moment, since it all depends on how fast we can integrate the major systems. Character Customization, Combat, Crafting, Questing, Networking, etc... into the game. For now, we will continue to do the pre-alpha releases every two or three weeks to show progress and maintain momentum.

I have recently brought on another developer to take over the character outfits and have been spending a lot of time training him in. However, once he takes that over, I will have more time to concentrate on the other systems.

We have lots of great things planned and a few that are ready to be released.

The next few releases will add a bunch of great things to the game.

Thanks for sticking with us!
    Brian

30. hallsofcamelot

hallsofcamelot

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  31. hallsofcamelot

hallsofcamelot

32. Norseblod

Norseblod

Looks great... only few things that you probably already have seen yourself that I'll suggest (take as you will), I would suggest something for when you fall to limit the movement and a different animation. Also, looks like it could use some more shadows. The only other thing I see that could use a little sprucing up would be the initial stance. The arms to the sides just looks a little too flat and artificial. Not many people stand with their arms completely flush to their body and hands in front of their torso. :) But, this is just personal opinion on things I would look into. Keep up the good work. I love this style and was trying to do a viking age thing, but lack of people makes motivation low, lol

33. hallsofcamelot

hallsofcamelot

Hi Norseblod!

>I would suggest something for when you fall to limit the movement and a different animation.

I agree, do you think I should use a parkour or ragdoll system? Or do you have something else in mind?

Edit: Opps, originally when I read this I thought you meant falling down the cliff. But after watching the video again, I think you mean when I jump off the wall.. yea, definitely need a falling animation there.

> Also, looks like it could use some more shadows.

I am going to have to look into outdoor lighting again. The scene has multiple directional lights in addition to the sun (which I turn on and off depending upon the time of day). This worked fine for unity4 but I think now with unity5 I probably don't need them.

> The only other thing I see that could use a little sprucing up would be the initial stance.

It's funny you should mention this as I am currently working on bringing in some combat stances. I am not an animator and so have been using any kind of animation that I can license to put in there. I think the current idle (non-combat) stance is a free unity technologies one. I definitely plan to get some custom animations in the future, so the current ones can be considered place holders.

> But, this is just personal opinion on things I would look into. Keep up the good work. I love this style and was trying to do a viking age thing, but lack of people makes motivation low, lol

Thanks so much! I will be adding more npc's shortly and have lots of great things in the pipeline (like the beginnings of the action combat system).

I will be adding your comments to the bug tracker on my website.

Thanks!
    Brian

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
  34. hallsofcamelot

hallsofcamelot

35. hallsofcamelot

hallsofcamelot

[​IMG]

Character Customization (Avatar System)

Multiple avatars share the same skeleton and outfits.
    Start of new material system (will be part of crafting later)

Thanks!
    Brian

36. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

Hi Brian.
    The characters look really pretty. Good work!
    What Character System are you using? UMA?
    Looking forwared to more screenshots and videos.

Cheers
    Ronny

37. virror

virror

Looking pretty cool so far, just one question.
    How much of what you have dome so far are synced over the network? Can you see other players and what they are doing wearing?
    If not, you have a serious issue here, adding all that after is milage of pain instead of having that as a focus from the start.
    Keep it up! : )

38. hallsofcamelot

hallsofcamelot

@RonnyDance

Hi Ronny!

I am using Daz3D and Mecanim.

I have the following Daz3D Indie licenses.

Daz3d Indie Developer
    Merlin Studios
    Predatron
    RawArt

I have been perfecting the import of the characters and clothes for over a year now. I have been training another developer to bring in the outfits (as there is roughly a year more of work to just bring in the outfits).

and it is still a work in progress.

I use the following tools.

Daz3d 4.8
    3ds Max 2015
    Ultimate Unwrap Pro
    Bitmap2Material
    Filter Forge 4.0
    Photoshop

Here is a screenshot of the setup in unity. The original character (giselle 6) in this case is brought in as a single mesh called ElfFemaleCharacterPrefab/Skin. The unity3d avatar (Genesis2Female bones) is created from this import. All SkinnedMeshRenderers (such as the face) are attached at runtime using the SkinnedMeshCombiner script. The props are hung off the skeleton and turned on and off via various scripts.

Each character is exported as a bundle and imported into the main project.

Thanks!
    Brian

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
  39. hallsofcamelot

hallsofcamelot

@virror

Hi Virror!

Actually, the Unity client is connected to a server running in the cloud.

You can toggle the console with the C-Key.

[​IMG]

Recently, I have been rewriting the server to support account creation and login. Originally, I didn't want to have to create an account just to test work-in-progress features.

Thanks!
    Brian

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
  40. hallsofcamelot

hallsofcamelot

[​IMG]

Server 2.0.1 - Runs on Windows and Linux - Currently deployed on Linode
    • Login
    • Create Account
    • Forgot Password
    • Change Password
    • Change Email Address
    Thanks!
    Brian

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  41. hallsofcamelot

hallsofcamelot

RonnyDance likes this.
  42. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

I really love that you were able to include DAZ3d Characters to your game thats not straight forwared, which is a shame btw.
    I did not work with them but I find so many nice models that would fit in my game.
    I am also working on a community driven mmo which should have a good complex character creator. Until now I am stucked with Mixamo and will take a look to free Morph3d models.

Keep up the good work. It's looking better and better.
    Cheers
    Ronny

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  43. hallsofcamelot

hallsofcamelot

Hi Ronny!

Thanks so much for the kind words!

I really love Daz3D too, but I wish more of their artists had indie licenses. I can think of quite a few artists that should have indie licenses. Also, I have been posting some tutorials on the import/export of Daz3D characters into Unity on my website under the forums/tutorials section. These have been mainly to refresh my memory on how to do things but also to share with the other developers on the project. You may also find them useful.

There are a bunch of big outstanding issues left to conquer however. I am having trouble figuring out how to do long hair and beards and dresses and capes. I have seen some iclone stuff that blew me outta my chair but I am unsure how / if that can be translated to unity. I have also looked at the Morph3d stuff but didn't see anything there that was of interest to me yet. (crossing my fingers that they tackle some of these harder things).

Anyways, thanks for reaching out!
    Brian

44. wanderingkender

wanderingkender

I'm fascinated with what you've done here. All of the engine was done with just Unity3D pointing to an EC2 server?

45. hallsofcamelot

hallsofcamelot

Hi wanderingkender!

(I love DragonLance! I read 50 DragonLance and Forgotten Realms books in highschool!)

> I'm fascinated with what you've done here. All of the engine was done with just Unity3D pointing to an EC2 server?

Thanks for asking!

I had originally deployed to the Amazon EC2 Cloud Service over a year ago, but recently have moved my server to Linode.

The advantages are that it's way faster, it's way cheaper and it's way easier to administer.

As far as Unity3D pointing directly to my Java server running on Linode.. then Yes, that is how it works.

Briefly, I attach a C# script that I wrote to a GameObject in the scene. The script supports two types of communications. Player driven commands such as /tell and /global and Client driven commands such as create account and login.

When the client first connects, the server generates a public/private key pair just for that connection and returns the Modulus and Exponent to the client so that it can regenerate the same Public Key on the client side. The only thing a bit tricky was that the keys are being generated on the server in Java and then regenerated in C# on the client side.

Next, I use the Public Key to send a UUID that I generate on the client to the server. The server than decrypts the UUID using its private key and from now on communications are done using an AES block cypher based on the UUID. I can get away with this because the commands are relatively small and the protocol is compact. :)

Finally, the client commands are hooked up directly to the UI through public methods like so.

Hope this makes sense!

Thanks so much!
    Brian

http://www.hallsofcamelot.com

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
    wanderingkender likes this.
  46. wanderingkender

wanderingkender

Ah yes...dragonlance how I love thee... I also read many of those novels (obviously) and still have a box buried in my basement somewhere with dozens of those books. I occasionally play a kender in some good 'ol D&D sessions with some friends. Good times. :)

I really love what you've done here, and the reason I'm drawn to it is because A, it's gorgeous, and B, your tool choices are on par with what I am exploring. C# and Java are in my toolbelt. I've have some experience with DAZ3D and Photoshop. While not new to programming, I'm a newbie to game development and am a bit overwhelmed by all the options, and then on top of that, understanding how they all fit as pieces to a puzzle. I appreciate the content you've supplied here - so your "Java Server" is handling the network and login it seems, but what's hosting the game/application? Is that all tied into the same "Java Server". Is that something you wrote from scratch or are you using a solution like SmartFox?

PS - the flying raptor video was awesome :)

PPS - A looong time ago, I had a 5 1/2 floppy game called Camelot. It was 2D and similar to kings quest, but bird's eye view. It was full of complex riddles, and a very unforgiving story (you die a lot...as it is with any old games..). Ever heard of it? There was a bogart named Widdershins who sang in riddles.

EDIT: Here's the wiki on it:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conquests_of_Camelot:_The_Search_for_the_Grail

47. hallsofcamelot

hallsofcamelot

Hi wanderingkender!

Thanks for all the compliments! I can't wait to show all the stuff that is currently in the cooker!

> I appreciate the content you've supplied here - so your "Java Server" is handling the network and login it seems, but what's hosting the game/application? Is that all tied into the same "Java Server". Is that something you wrote from scratch or are you using a solution like SmartFox?

Unity is the game client. It communicates to my Java server hosted on Linode. The server is being written from scratch by me on top of the following Java libraries. Vert.x, Infinispan, Jetty and H2. If, however, you are talking about an Authoritative Unity instance running the game world on the server to handle physics, etc.. That has yet to be worked out.

> PS - the flying raptor video was awesome

Thanks! I may be bringing back an updated version of Make-Up World as soon as the next release!

> PPS - A looong time ago, I had a 5 1/2 floppy game called Camelot. It was 2D and similar to kings quest, but bird's eye view. It was full of complex riddles, and a very unforgiving story (you die a lot...as it is with any old games..). Ever heard of it?

I have not heard of this one, but it sounds like great fun!

Thanks so much!
    Brian

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
  48. hallsofcamelot

hallsofcamelot

New Release 1.4.2 - 01/21/2016 - Terrain Update

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

- Completely New Terrain for Camelot

- Heavily Optimized Speed Trees & Rocks

* No billboards
    * No LOD Group
    * 1 Collider (moved into position in realtime)
    * Uses custom frustrum culling layer setup
    * Disable Renderer Script (on LOD Version)
    * Texture Atlasing
    * Fix Out of Bound UV's (IE No Repeating Textures)
    * RE-UV Tree's (Right in the Editor)​

Thanks!
    Brian

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
    GameTechnix likes this.
  49. k1mset

k1mset

Just my personal opinion, but for security reasons you shouldn't post source code of the login server to public eyes lol.

Looks really cool though, and I enjoy following your game.

50. hallsofcamelot

hallsofcamelot

Hi k1mset!

Well.. it's not secure unless you can show everyone!

Thanks for sticking with me!

I can hardly wait to release all the stuff that I have been working on!

Especially the stuff with steve@arteria3d and kyle and andy @ open adventure. Steve is hard at work on The Round Table for Winchester castle and Kyle and Andy recently finished a 30 page character creation and 80 page rumor mill for The Halls of Camelot! Look for these to be released in the next couple months!

RAWR

Check them out!

Open Adventure Website: http://geekguild.com/openadventure/

Arteria3d Website: http://arteria3d.myshopify.com/

Thanks!
    Brian

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016