Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Games [WIP] Strippers Game

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by henriqLund, Feb 1, 2018.

1. henriqLund

henriqLund

Yes, I'm trying to make a strip tease game. Why? because I never seen a game like that, and I thinks it is something beautiful, with a certain appeal.
    I just have no ideia if there is a public for that, boys will like it or will think this game is for girls? girls will love the protagonism thing or they will complain about the "sexual objetification" narrative?
    Also I have the problem of the soundtracks, I have no idea how much Guittar hero, GTA, Just Dance have wasted to use all those songs, probably I will have to find a partnershid to care about that...

But what do you think, it is an innovative idea?

OBS: the left is the player and the right the A.I. , but you can play against a friend as well...

firejerm and Ony like this.
  2. iamthwee

iamthwee

3. henriqLund

henriqLund

now you can see some stripping...

iamthwee, firejerm and Ony like this.
  4. Shack_Man

Shack_Man

How the hell did yo get those movements look so damn good?? Please tell me you're an overweight dude who did motion capture on a pole in his living room :) Seriously though, looks very smooth and impressive.
    I have no clue whatsoever what the market would be. But I think this could turn into a super fun game if there were a way to control it like a Nintendo Wii, so the player has to mimic the moves in some way.

firejerm likes this.
  5. Martin_H

Martin_H

I would say no chance it makes sense to license pop songs for that. You should look for royalty free music that you can use, like stuff from the assetstore. If it should be successful and warrant further investments down the line you can commision fancier custom made stuff that uses fmod to make the music adapt to the "tension arc" in the "battle".

I think the concept is interesting and unique enough to explore further, but you need to be clear whether you want people to "play this as a game", or "watch it while...", because that has some gamdesign and usability implications.

A big issue will be that you need a video of the game to demonstrate how it's played. From looking at this footage I have absolutely no idea. My gut feeling would be that a combination of fighting game style moves, rythm game, and metagame strategizing would be appropriate. I don't like that the 2 cameras split the stage. The shaky cam is uncomfortable and I could imagine it to be an interesting game mechanic if you have the silhouettes of the watching crowd in the middle and you make their heads turn more towards either of the dancers. I would experiment with game mechanics like stamina management and escalation of stakes. E.g. some moves that make heads turn (also to get some back and forth between the players going instead of making it a "race"), some moves that trigger money being dropped, that need to be timed right (I'd make money the "score" that determines the win at the end of a time limit, and escalate the amounts of money being dropped over time and with certain moves). If you set the time beforehand, you can pick appropriate music that follows that tension arc and ends with the "round's" end.
    It would also be conceivable to have something happen with the stage, as an additional layer of one-time powerups like fireworks, light shows, moving/changing the stage etc..

Overall, thumbs up, I think you're really onto something here.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  6. henriqLund

henriqLund

Hi, I have animated by myself, but of course, used many references from youtube...
    I'm using xbox gamepad and keyboard to program it, dont know how works this wii gamepad, but have no intentions to use something like a kinect...

Ony likes this.
  7. henriqLund

henriqLund

thanks for the feedback Martin, well, the game would be more like an achievement/battle game. the idea is that the girls would have to start on a sh*thole stripclub (with drunk guys over the pooltable), and would need to complete certain objectives to make points and move to better strip clubs, until you finally unlock a very luxurious cabaret, with even women on the audience.

I was think that it could have 3 different Modules to play:
    1- you have to follow the moves of the CPU on the right screen, or you could record a routine and then try to do exactly the same again to make more points.
    2- freestyle duel in the darkness, where you can play against cpu or other players, and wouldn't have an interface to know who is winning, the result would appear only in the end.
    3- a more "gamy" duel, with popup powerups and stuff, with more reaction to the circunstances, instead of repeating always the same thing...

Right now, you control the walking with the L-R Bumpers, the Dpad is used only to do the routines, just like a Radouken. the yellow bar is like a stamina, you have to do 2 different pole tricks (middium class) to unlock the whole bar. with the full bar you can do better pole routines and strip the undies.there are also some penalties with you do more routines in just one pole.I was thinking about doing some animations of falling in the ground, if you try to do the routine without enough stamina, and then loose points.

Do you think it would be nice that I show in the corner an UI of a joystick and highlight when the buttoms are pressed?

Ony likes this.
  8. Ony

Ony

Superb work so far. Animations are fantastic. Great idea, I love it. :)

henriqLund likes this.
  9. jaelove

jaelove

You're very talented. I think the idea is cool and will sell well. The first thing that came to mind is Bust a Groove the old dance battle games for the ps1. Would you be interested in licensing your engine out for a price?

10. henriqLund

henriqLund

cool... i'm gonna check out this game. the engine I used is Unity 5.4, what do you mean, selling the project?

11. jaelove

jaelove

Like selling the licensing rights to use your engine. Also how did you manage to create the mechanic where the clothes are removed?

12. firejerm

firejerm

I see the PC went straight for topless.... Well you got that right. PC in "battle" genre, always goes for the wow factor as soon as possible, but then fails miserably lol.

Please say its multiplayer. I always wanted to find out who the better stripper is between me and my wife lol.

11/10 would play!

13. zakdank

zakdank

I think it's a good idea, I mean pole dancing (better word to use than stripping) has a huge female following. Obviously when you bring stripping into the blend, it hits the political correctness gone mad line where some women think it is empowering and some will see it as sexual objectification and degrading. It's difficult to say which way it could go. Could always focus more on poledancing and add stripping as an optional extra with a consent screen.

Mainstream Music, as others have said, is not worth looking at licensing. It's extremely expensive and you could easily be looking at $2000-$50000+ per song depending on popularity. You can usually find independent artists on soundcloud and youtube who will make you music for a fee or license their existing music. Asset store or external stores are also a good idea. I believe the game 'Braid' uses licensed music from a music store and it was an international hit.

Animations look really good by the way, very professional and smooth.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    theANMATOR2b and Martin_H like this.
  14. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Except for the walk cycle - it seems very stiff and unrealistic - it looks more like a runway model than a dancer who usually softly glides towards the people who are 'paying' for the show.

How about a combination of mechanics - guitar hero like mechanics - hit the beats at the right time - and move in the direction of where the money is being offered, to be collected?
    One could influence the other - so if the beats are hit on time - accurately more money could be offered and collected - but that collection would require 'special' moves to happen, which might cause the beats to be missed, causing less money to be presented, until the beats are hit again consistently. Kind of like cause and effect - with risk reward.

Samuel411 and Martin_H like this.
  15. khos

khos

Idea: Why not add men dancing into this, might open target audience more ?

16. henriqLund

henriqLund

Have no idea how much it would cost an unfinished project like that, and i'm still willing to continue the project for now.
    but there's not anything too complex on the scripting scenerio.
    For the stripping part it is a bit of changing textures with animation of the cloth, syncronized with the animation of character. since you cannot export any modifier that is not a skin or a morpher, I have to conver the animation of the cloth modifier into a sequence of morphtargets and animate it for each frame, then I scale the animation 1600% and play it on unity 16x faster, to avoid flickering.

17. henriqLund

henriqLund

lol, it's just a placeholder for now, i'm working on the new character at the time. the idea is to be with just 2 strippers,
    but I already though how it would be if it were a battle of couples in 4 poles, each pair paralel to each other,
    if both poles on your sides were occupied, you would have just the option of a floor routine...
    oh, you mean 2 players online? I have no idea how complex it is to deal with network, servers and stuff...

18. henriqLund

henriqLund

If one of the characters were a burlesque girl with nipple pasties and a thicker body, maybe even the radfems could enjoy it, who knows...lol
    do you think it is easy to find those licensed musics with vocals or just instrumental?

19. henriqLund

henriqLund

I though about having different modules of walkcycles to use, like a step, a bounce, and another step... I need a reason, maybe depending on the beat of the music you could make more points using the correct walkcycle.
    games like guitar hero and Touch I think is too passive, you just have to press the buttom you are suposed to press, theres no choice, guitar hero at least have a toy guitar...
    I like the idea of picking money, even if it's just a trigger, with no animation, like in GTA, glowing money.
    I also though about a pervert invading the stage, and you could make extra points kicking him out.

firejerm likes this.
  20. henriqLund

henriqLund

lol, I think it would scary the male audience, and I dont think women really think that a strong guy with speedos and a butterfly tie is something indeed sexy, I think they go for those lady clubs more for the pleasure of stealing men's lifestyle for one day, like a man dressing like a woman on the carnival.
    but a different game with a more comic aesthetic, like Muscle March, could be fun

21. zakdank

zakdank

Who knows what they enjoy :rolleyes: I think the suggestion of adding male strippers would be a good one - would balance out the sexist argument, at least you can say its a sexual exploitation of both sexes...

It's definitely easier to find instrumentals but vocals are out there. A lot of the indie/unheard of artists out there are just looking to get themselves heard and will likely find other artists for vocals if you give them a spec.

I just did a quick search for 80s style pop (for some reason I thought of the babylon club from scarface when thinking about stripper music) and came across this guy https://soundcloud.com/sunglasseskid, and I quite like this song https://soundcloud.com/sunglasseskid/night-swim-feat-myrone.

Really it's just a case of searching for songs you like and then contacting their artists. Just watch out for the ones which are remixes of existing songs.

22. khos

khos

Ermmmm, you need to make sure players only need one hand to play the game :)

23. henriqLund

henriqLund

Now I got a new character, and a stage with lights on the floor, also wanted to do some tests with the GUI, I like this art deco style, maybe it could have different styles for different stages...
    there's a joystick so you can see how it works the inputs.
    The score system I still need to reformulate it, like 3 different areas of the song, verse, chorus & bridge, for each one, certain categories of animations would be the better option to make more points. and could also have some small sync areas for extra points. also, doing same routines after your oponent could make you score half, I'm still gonna need more animations...
    I was thinking about a slotmachine interface in the long routines, to try to spawn powerups, waht do you think?

24. Samuel411

Samuel411

I have to question the type of women you interact with if that is your assessment. Also the game looks actually really good. You need to contact the people who made the music before you can start selling the game or even showing videos (I don't know for sure)

25. henriqvist

henriqvist

Well... I got some progress right now, more animations, 3 characters, 2 clubs...
    About scoring, you have the animation multiplied by the score of the period of the song, but, there are other variables. if you do a routine just after the other theres a multiplier that enhances +0.5. but you cannot repeat it in the combo. any animation that were already made by the oponent multiplies by 0.25. there are also the powerups (dont know how to call it yet) so it doubles one of the multipliers, it also enhances more if is a combo of powerups.
    there are two ways to catch a powerup, spinning or not, spinning you pick a higher class of routines, but those waste more stamina, without spinning you pick a lower class. so the ideal is to pick 1 very high and 2 low, and than make a sequence. you can also start with different strategies, like trying to dry your oponent doing all the shortest animations first, or focus in unlocking the stamina the fast you can, so you can do the highest routines more times...
    Oh, and now you can collect money with you strip in the right spot.

I also started a Twitter where I will be putting new stuff (https://twitter.com/cabaretcarino), would appreciate if you could follow it.
    I don't understand much about marketing, do you think that with the game in this level is enough to try to find a good publisher?

26. jaelove

jaelove

You're extremely talented. Your game looks amazing. I wish you could license it out to me so that I could make a competitive dancing game.