Search Unity

[WIP] Spooky!! Horror!! Game!!

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Heu, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Heu

Heu

This is my WIP for Gigi's challenge. The game is described in the video below and I will try to upload weekly updates

This week I have a foundation for my game. I think it's coming along very well.

Features so far:
    (Week 1)
    - FPS Controller (Run, Jump)
    - Picking up Objects
    - User Interface basics (Crate)
    - Simple Lighting
    - Simple Models. (poorly modeled ones)

Week 1 (Basically me derping around in the game.)

2. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

where's the spooky?

3. Pastywhite

Pastywhite

Well since it's a work in progress I'm assuming the spooky will eventually take shape. Keep working at it man.

4. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

I started something similar, and spent a grand total of 6 hrs on it (rough guess at how much time I spent).

It had a shipload more creepy than this.

5. Glubags

Glubags

If you check out his blog/portfolio, you may see that this kid is 16 and has focused on 2D games in the past.

If you scroll back up to the top of this thread, you may also notice it isn't about you or your superior 6-hour accomplishments.

Offer something more than "I've done better" or don't post at all. You can't be so daft as to believe he wants your self-aggrandizing garbage stinking up his WIP thread, can you?

Thanks.

OP: keep it up! You've got the right approach with your focus on a working gameplay prototype--art/asset refinement can come later as you move forward. Good luck!

6. Foestar

Foestar

Yeah, I'm starting to think you got your posts from trolling as anytime I see you in a post is to mock new users starting projects in unity.
    Like Glubags said, this thread isn't about you or your accomplishments. If you really are as accomplished as you think you are, then why not put those skills to use by helping others with constructive feedback, pointers and tips.

As for your project, good luck with this! It's a nice start. Hopefully you fix your problem with the clipping object through the walls. It looks like your hittesting script needs work when the object is picked up. Other than that, good job. ^_^

7. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

lol.. As if being 16 is some excuse...

I help people that help themselves. I tend to be harsh on people that claim there demo is something its not. In this case, spooky.

8. AustinK

AustinK

It's as if you're trolling, but I think this is just the real you. I think you should just quit posting in this thread, and leave the kid be.

Everyone starts somewhere, and every game starts somewhere. Obviously the OP is starting with basic mechanics, controls, and a working prototype, which is where it should start, not with "spooky" as you're so focused on for some odd reason. And in the video you can obviously tell he know he has a lot of work to do, and he's having fun with it. Take your un-constructive criticism elsewhere. This is a WIP thread, not a playable/alpha staged demo with audio, lighting, and fleshed out game mechanics. Got off your high horse dude. He's helping himself by getting in front of the computer and teaching himself coding, Unity, and whatever else he may be diving into.

Also, I believe inexperience is an excuse.

As for the OP: Keep at it. Make sure to play other games, watch scary movies/vids, etc. to see what kinds of things keep you on the edge of your set. Anyways, keep at it and good luck. Try to ignore the useless comments.

9. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

10. drewradley

drewradley

Admit it: the proper use of "it's" confused you. :)

11. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

12. AustinK

AustinK

Haha. Cool guy here. :cool: Put on your cool guy glasses.

13. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

:cool:

Im sure OP doesnt mind that im a cool guy. Look at all the views and positive re-enforcement Ive given him via the rest of you. lol.

Besides, who cares what anyone on the internet thinks...

14. Foestar

Foestar

.... someone did or else Beiber wouldn't have been released from the void. Be careful what you release.

15. melidian

melidian

This game looks neat I really like what you have so far. The models are a bit sloppy but that's ok they will improve over time. :)
    I'll stay updated with this.