Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Games WIP Space Shooter Game Template / Space Shooter Construction Kit

Discussion in 'Projects In Progress' started by Playniax, Dec 4, 2022.

1. Playniax

Playniax

Last week I started working on a new space shoot 'em up template for Unity using our Galaga Essentials , Space Pack 1 and Space Pack 2 available at the Unity Asset Store.

The template will be part of the Playniax Space Shooter Construction Kit that we want to release in 2023.

The Space Shooter Construction Kit will also include the SimpleGameUI and various other Playniax Framework components.

We are also considering to release the template as a game on various app stores once completed.

The template is a top down shooter based on Galaga and other classics and will showcase our asset packs.

Enjoy the first playable WIP HERE to get an idea.

More Playniax assets HERE

Last edited: Dec 27, 2022
  2. Playniax

Playniax

I am going to add a coin pickup "system" and a shop. This will keep me busy for the week I am sure...

Last edited: Dec 6, 2022
  3. Playniax

Playniax

Got the coin "system" working.

Now I need some extra weapons that can only be acquired in the shop (before I create the shop UI)

Playniax assets HERE

Last edited: Dec 26, 2022
  4. Playniax

Playniax

I wanted to expand the choice of weapons for the player and I wanted something powerful.

Most upgrades happen by collecting them while playing but I am also going to create a shop because the player can also collect coins.

Once the player collects enough coins he or she can use them to buy a weapon in the shop.

I am in the process of adding 3 new items and 1 of them is a rotating energy beam.

I think it looks pretty awesome

MrSCooke likes this.
  5. Playniax

Playniax

I got the shop running but not ready to show and I needed time off from the shop stuff so I experimented with physics to create bouncing balls.

This will make it in the game at some point.

6. Playniax

Playniax

I like those games where you enter an upgrade screen or shop and the game is not paused but slowed down so I added this option too.

Here is a first look at the (ugly but functioning) shop and I will ask Peter to create some nice skin for it:

7. Playniax

Playniax

That ugly looking shop will be skinned and will end up like this:

8. Playniax

Playniax

I have added tons of new features "under the hood" and got carried away (you probably know how that goes).

This means updates to the framework too so I will upload the news version to the Unity store as soon as I have updated the docs on it.

One thing I have added to the game is a Space Invaders-ish part and again it amazes me how brillant Space Invaders actually is.

I will post some stuff soon...

9. Playniax

Playniax

Here is a little update...

We have added 6 new attackers to the Galaga Essentials. I was mixing up the art from our spacepacks 1 and 2 in combination with the Galaga pack to prototype this project but with the new sprites it will have a more consistent look.

Also updated the other asset packs and added a tool that we have named the SHMUP Builder for Unity. I wrote the docs for it but I will add tutorial videos in the next couple of months. More about the SHMUP Builder here.

I als got around coding a new boss and this is now included with Space Pack 2

Last edited: Mar 9, 2023
  10. Playniax

Playniax

Working on a new boss...

11. Playniax

Playniax

Last edited: Jul 1, 2023
  12. Playniax

Playniax

Working on a new boss:

13. MrSCooke

MrSCooke

Glad I found this thread! This is something I’m trying to accomplish next for a game of my own but this specific info has been tough to find so far.

Just like you said I’m trying to incorporate a weapon system where an item spawns and falls for the player to pick up after they reach a certain score. If they catch it then they receive an upgrade which allows them to shoot with the weapon until the “ammo” runs out and they catch another one. Any info on how you’ve achieved it or could you point me in the right direction of a place to start learning how?

14. Playniax

Playniax

Hi, can you contact me by using the contact form (at the bottom) on our website and leave your emai? https://playniax.com/

15. MrSCooke

MrSCooke

Yeah sure