Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Assets [WIP] Shmup Baby A.K.A "Shoot 'Em Up Creator"

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by EbalStudios, Feb 19, 2018.

1. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

Trailer

First WIP videos

A complete Space Shooter Creator script.

This script utilizes our extensive space shooter asset libraries: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#!/content/81341

Features so far:
    • Vertical, Horizontal, orthographic or perspective cameras (Although our first release might be only orthographic).
    • Full player controls and changeability, with pickup effects and upgrades.
    • Wave enemies, enemies following curves, way points, or direction and simple enemy AI.
    • Radial, path weapons and missiles with custom modifiers which enables you to create any weapon style including bullet hell.
    • Layered background system (can easily have multiple layers, 2D and 3D with different speeds)
    • Enemies drop Items which can upgrade the player.
    • Mines systems
    • UI system
    • Soundtracks and sound effects which you can use inside your commercial game (Planning to commision a sound artist for all of the effects and music)
    • Complete templates for visual effects (explosions, trails, bullets, etc..)
    • Well commented and documented script which is object oriented

How can you help us!
    • How important is integrating the Unity Ads system for you now and should we include it in the first release as a priority?
    • Should we market it as a SHMUP creator or a space shooter creator? it will have the complete asset libraries for a space shooter but you can still using the same script to create many types of SHMUPs. We are a bit confused if we should focus on the space shooter creator aspect or go into a general SHMUP direction.
    • What other features do you feel we left out?

This is just our first post and maybe later we can be more specific about the feedback as we release more updates.
    Please note that we will be giving away free vouchers once the package is released for the ones who are highly interested in the package to be able to get testing information.

Thank you so much for visiting this thread.
    Current State of the Package:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  2. Neviah

Neviah

Keeping my eye on this one. And I think it should be SHMUP creator, as it'll hit a wider audience. Plus, there will be more features to implement that way.
    Unity ads is also really nice to have. What about a daily login bonus? Just throwing ideas.

Jaerasgon and Ahmed_Al_Asl like this.
  3. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

Sure, all of the art content we have now is for a space shooter but maybe we can create a few quick sketches for things which are not space related alongside few demo levels and try to go as a universal SHMUP.
    Not sure though at which point we will be able to implement ground targets connected to the background but will keep it for later. Now the way we add enemies is through a level creator where you pick your enemies/waves and the timing and then they start doing their thing.

Another thing is that we have to find a name for this package that's catchy :)

And BTW Neviah, if you send us a PM or an E-mail: info@ebalstudios.com we will send you a free voucher to test the script once it's out (maybe more than a month's time, we are still working on the comments and documentation and it's taking a while).

4. Neviah

Neviah

Thank you for the opportunity. I will provide lots of feedback to assist. Email sent.

Jaerasgon likes this.
  5. Neviah

Neviah

-Maybe allow another image to be scrolled in the foreground, above the player? Like that space mist, the green one in the video. Would allow for harder detection of bullets and/or enemies.
    -Possibly add a 1-3 skill toolbar at the right side of the screen if you ever wanted to implement powerups they could hold onto and activate at a time of their choosing (shield, bomb that has AoE that lasts for 2-3 seconds, etc) .
    - Level Select screen.
    - Once dead, allow player to watch unity video ad for a revive to half health.

Just throwing ideas at the wall. Maybe something will stick.

6. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

-Perfect! thanks a lot for all of the ideas, the layer on top of the player should be easy to add. And like all other layers; it can be optional to use.
    -We really have to look into the "super" weapons or shield features. right now. we only have one weapon that upgrades but I believe you are correct. A lot of players would expect to have these side capabilities and we should add them.
    -At the moment we have a menu system where you choose the player plane but hoping to add level select soon.
    -Still no implementation of the ad system or its features but perhaps after the first release we will incorporate it.

Thanks again Neviah for all of the suggestions! please keep it up. Will try to have another update soon with a video recording.

Jaerasgon, Ahmed_Al_Asl and Neviah like this.
  7. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

Just a quick update on our game's weapons systems.
    These are the radial and path weapons. we are still finishing up on a third missile follow system.

Ahmed_Al_Asl and Jaerasgon like this.
  8. Neviah

Neviah

That is stupid-sexy, man!!!!

Also reminded me, will you have weapon that shoots a laser that covers like half the vertical screen? (or choose the width of it via editor). Some bosses will show a charging animation, then let loose with a laser. Players job to get out of the middle lol. I'm sure you can think of better uses, but yeah, just another weapon idea.

Jaerasgon likes this.
  9. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

Awesome, thanks man!
    You can change the width of the path weapon as much as you want but I guess we have to test and see how it goes when it's half the screen size to see if it still works :) but theoretically it should.

10. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

One more update, this one show the horizontal version and the weapon upgrade system.

11. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

Just a quick through of the assets that will be included in this template.
    We are planning to do a few more assets, If you have any art requests to be included in the package now is the time!

12. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

An overview of the enemy movers and wave styles we have now.

Just finished recently the ability for the enemies to rotate along a curve (not only follow, but also twist).

The movers so far are:
    • Tilt Mover: simple directional mover which can also make the enemies move in a curved fashion (more like bending, it's extremely easy to modify)
    • Patrol Mover: way points based, can loop or make any movement you would like it to.
    • Curve Mover: you can draw your own curve with any number of points to make multiple enemies follow it
    • Organized Wave: is a nice and easy way, to make lots of enemies attack and move in curvy fashion which is different from the curve mover. have to see it in action to understand it better.
    • Random Wave: you can use here completely different enemies, to pop up randomly. Extremely useful and easy to use.

We are writing the documentation at the moment also, and we should explain everything thoroughly and maybe later we can start posting the video tutorials.
    Thank you for you interest in our template!

Neviah and Ahmed_Al_Asl like this.
  13. Neviah

Neviah

You're putting in the work for this asset! I'm glad to see it coming along smoothly!

Ahmed_Al_Asl likes this.
  14. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

Thanks!
    This asset have taken a lot more effort than originally planned, but we feel as long as we make something of quality content, and adding features we believe the users would appreciate; we are welling to push the schedule to get it done.

We really appreciate all of your feedback and it really means a lot to us, we just hope that once released and you try it out you will be equally happy. :)

Ahmed_Al_Asl and Neviah like this.
  15. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

Our developer has been busy adding comments in the script and changing the weapon upgrade system for the player and adding new effects, this week we just uploaded a quick preview for the UI.

We also contracted a great music artist to start working on the music and effects which you can use for your commercial games. Will keep you posted!

Ahmed_Al_Asl likes this.
  16. Neviah

Neviah

I love everything so far. You're out-doing yourself.
    I wonder if in the future you'd make an extension for online 2 players with photon

Ahmed_Al_Asl likes this.
  17. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

Hey, man thank you so much for keeping our spirits high! :)

It is possible to do on-line features and check the compatibility of different add-ons, but probably not in the first version. Right now we are focusing on having a strong basic shmup core to begin with and to have an efficient and well commented code.
    I am not quite sure how it will go if I talk to our unity developer now (who is reading this) and tell him: oh, by the way, the game really needs to be online multi-player (his desk has a lot of objects which can serve as decent projectiles :D LOL). I understand photon actually does all of the work, but am sure there are small little details to take into consideration before it is implemented properly.

Just listened to the soundtrack sample from the music artist, and it was awesome! maybe we can share a small portion of it in our next update.

A lot of the things we are doing now are sort of under the hood, not sure what our next post will be about next week, but will try to figure something :)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    Neviah likes this.
  18. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

A video of a quick fun mini game which was a byproduct of this shoot em up package we are working on.
    This one uses the mines system we have already developed for the space shooter creator. and we are planning to release as a free package on the asset store.

Yes, insects can't actually fly and flap their wings in space, but you could think of it as a special kind of alien space vehicle that happens to look like an insect :) or wait till the final version which will have the insect on a different background, and another option of using a spaceship with thruster effects.

Shoot'em up template Updates:
    -Royalty free music and ambient sound are done.
    -Adding comments and revising entire script.
    -After finalizing the script we would go into documentation, tutorials and making demo scenes.
    -Also on the to do list are WebGL and Google play store demos.

Neviah and Ahmed_Al_Asl like this.
  19. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

Quite some time since our last update, been working on testing out the script, writing documentation for the Space shooter and also the small mines mini game and re-writing some of the code to make things better.

We also are doing now graphics for the demos which will be included in the game engine, to demonstrate all the different styles you can do with the engine and have a variety of starting points.

But all is taking a little more than expected as we continually improve things as we go along.
    Below is a video of a 2D game demo with the new music which will be included with the package.
    We are working with a really great music artist who will be creating 4 more sound tracks.
    So, included with this package will be 5 soundtracks and many sound effects which you can use in any commercial game.

Anyway Didier, we are taking with your suggestion and will aiming for a broader shooter styles and not just space. Hope you like the music :)

Neviah likes this.
  20. Neviah

Neviah

Seeing that demo actually put a smile on my face. I really love it, and I'm glad to see you're still working on it. Can't wait to get my hands on it. I want to see some crazy stuff happening. Ikaruga-style crazyness haha.

EbalStudios likes this.
  21. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

We were just discussing Ikaruga in the office yesterday :), their 2 color mechanics is really something.
    One of the demos will be bullet hell, but looks like this package is really taking quite some time to finish but we are getting there!

Neviah likes this.
  22. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

2DSprites.jpg NewComponents.jpg
    Been couple of weeks since our last post, still working on lots of stuff, especially after having different people test it out; we decided to do a remake (probably around the 6th time we rebuild the script to improve it) and separate many components of the scripts, this way you could easily customize and use any features you like to any game object.
    We've also done a lot of work on the commentary side of things, getting closer to uploading our mines mini game and added features for use with 2D sprites, now it's more of a general shoot em up creator.

2DSamples2.jpg
    Finally, just thought I'd share some of the artwork we are doing for the demo scenes which will be included in this package.
    Still working on it and will keep you guys posted.

DrOcto, Neviah and Ahmed_Al_Asl like this.
  23. Neviah

Neviah

Thanks for the updates, it keeps us salivating.
    What sort of input support will you have? Mobile? Console? etc?

EbalStudios likes this.
  24. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

Thank you Didier, we've already tested for mobile and it's working, but to be honest we don't have much experience in testing with console. But in theory it should be working for console as well.

Neviah likes this.
  25. indie_dev85

indie_dev85

This looks super awesome.
    Any ETA when this template will be available on the store?

EbalStudios and Neviah like this.
  26. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

Thanks!!
    It looks like we need until mid July to upload the final final version to the asset store, and maybe about a month after that for the asset store to give their approval (hopefully from the first run). I know it's quite a lot of time, but we need it to polish the overall package, do more testing and make good tutorials and documentation.

But we are uploading in the next couple of days our free mini mines game, just finished the video tutorials for it and documentation this week and it's almost ready.

Neviah likes this.
  27. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

Will show off some of the 2D shmup features next week, and a totally new background and layers controlling system.
    But very happy we finally got our free mini mine game out on the store which is now awaiting approval; this mine game includes the mine component of our bigger shmup creator package:

For more info about it or to see the tutorials, you can view the thread over here:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/mines-evader-free-template.531522/

Also if anyone had a chance to check out the Mines Evader tutorials, please let us know if there is any feedback to improve the tutorials or the package itself, because we will use a similar style in our shmup creator.
    Thx!

Neviah likes this.
  28. DrOcto

DrOcto

:) So when is it coming? Looks nice and very polished little gem!

EbalStudios likes this.
  29. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

Thank you so much! We are planning to upload it in the middle of July (can't predict approval time after that). The little documentation we started with has to be redone because we now changed everything into easy to add components style and we really don't know if we will yet change anything after we do more tests and try out the 2D samples, but if there are any delays we will keep you posted.

If you guys are interested, I will be sending you and indie_dev85 free vouchers once our Shmup creator is released on the asset store, the more testing and feedback information we have at the beginning of the release; the better. will send you a message to ask for your E-mail to save it.

indie_dev85 and Neviah like this.
  30. DrOcto

DrOcto

So now i know how my my summer holiday goes :)
    The documentation will help a lot. Take you time for it!

EbalStudios likes this.
  31. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

A glimpse into the 2D background system we are building, everything is now into different components. You can add any combination of 2D backgrounds on different index layers with different speeds, to create depth.
    You could also add random object layers, or an advanced controllers for controlling the position of the objects.

Ahmed_Al_Asl, DrOcto and Griffo like this.
  32. DrOcto

DrOcto

Hi one question:) to know. Does it work with Ferr2D Terrain Tool also?

Ahmed_Al_Asl likes this.
  33. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

Have to double check first, let me test it out and let you know after the weekend :cool:

34. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

Just talked it over with the Unity developer who is writing all the code for this script :)
    The script can use the objects created with Ferr2D, or any other sprites you create, whether it has a collider or not makes no difference.

But if you want to use the seamless feature, then all sprites should be of the exact same length, or otherwise you will see gaps in between them (the script measures the width of one sprite and loops them accordingly)

If you want to use the Ferr2D sprites as simple flying objects then it's quite easy and they don't need to be of the same length and you could use our random or advance background layer object.
    Once we are near the final version of our Shmup creator, we will do more tests on different kits to check compatibility.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
    DrOcto likes this.
  35. AdamQ

AdamQ

I just stumbled upon this thread and well... i'm sold. Publish it already :) I have just started a project in which I will need to put together a number of the pieces you have already done for this ( backgrounds, movers, mines) . If I can save the time by using yours instead of writing it myself, I'll take that option in a heart beat. My project is space themed (yes already purchased your spaceship assets :)) so happy to make use of the pieces you already have done, do you have a beta program I can join until you release it?

EbalStudios and Ahmed_Al_Asl like this.
  36. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

Man, your words really gives us some encouragement. If we can, we would have released it yesterday :D

You will hopefully get the free Mines Evader template in couple of weeks or when the asset store finally approves it, maybe it can help you out a little bit with the mines system for now.

For the complete Shmup creator, we don't have any plans for a beta release for now (we are still relatively new to the asset store and learning how it goes), but if we start a beta program; you, Didier, Dhruv and DrOcto will be the first to know.

But let me send you a voucher as soon as it's released so that you wouldn't miss it when it's Finally out. You already have some experience with this game genre scripting, and I think your feedback would really help us work on it and improve future versions.

Neviah and DrOcto like this.
  37. DrOcto

DrOcto

Great news for Ferr2D. Well it is on my to do list for closer investigation and buying so this all makes me very happy to know. Great support and thank you for a quick answer. :)

EbalStudios likes this.
  38. Boom_Shaka

Boom_Shaka

Ha! I didn't see this thread either...now I'm really glad I bought the modular ship package. I would absolutely be interested in this as a stand-along template or as a series of "a la carte" add-ons. Keep up the great work!

EbalStudios likes this.
  39. DrOcto

DrOcto

Stupid question again :) will it have maybe some space nebula and stars generator or maybe day/night cycles editor for more earth like scenery? :D

40. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

Thanks, really happy to know you are curious about our Shmup package, hopefully the final release will be something that you guys will like.

We will include a stars generator, and some pre-made nebula and stars sprites. The seamless background script and our random background object script, should enable you to do any combination you like. You could paint the background starting with daytime then move it to night time and add any layer on top of it. We could also add any stars sprites to the random background script and have your very own stars in no time.

Really hard to explain in writing but once we start making the tutorials you could see the flexibility of it. and maybe later on we could create specialized generators.

Boom_Shaka, DrOcto and Neviah like this.
  41. limo

limo

I remember looking for a Shmup toolkit some months ago and didnt found anything to my liking. Glad to finally found this thread.

I was wondering how robust the weapon the weapon system is as they really make or break a shmup game. Is it possible to implement out of the box beam weapons, some sort of cluster bombs or missiles and stun projectiles which temporaly removes the ability fire or movement?

I want to make some sort of shmup game where the player has to traverse a maze. Would love to use this kit for it.
    Also i would be happy to help beta test this asset if you choose to do a beta programm.

42. rpodosek

rpodosek

How much is it gonna cost? It looks insane!!

43. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

The weapon system we are building will have a strong base to implement any varieties later on.

-The beam we have now is a continuous barrage of sprites, so technically not a beam although it looks like one, but later on we have plans to implement a complete new beam system that goes through enemies.
    -Cluster bombs and stun projectiles can also be implemented at a later stage, but are not available in the initial release. (already have an enemy pooling system which will make it easy to find the enemies)
    -Missiles: done and ready.

If your game is a scrolling maze, then you could work with this one out of the box, but if it's an action sort of game where you move around freely you could probably still use some of our components. We are trying to finish this one ASAP and keep you posted on the progress.

Will send you a message about the game voucher.

DrOcto and Neviah like this.
  44. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

59$
    but might price it at a lower price for the first few months then raise it to 59$ after we improve it and make updates.
    Got your E-mail and will add you to the vouchers list :)

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    Neviah likes this.
  45. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

Who Got the Vouchers:
    • Didier (Neviah, Thank you so much Didier. You kept this post alive!)
    • DrOcto
    • Dhruv
    • AdamQ
    • Limo
    • RPodosek
    • Neil (Sent E-mail)

46. cdtaylor

cdtaylor

Hi Guys,

The shooter template looks great! I'm going to look at building a nice shooter to blast away for learning concepts in Unity and building concepts. I apologise if this has already been mentioned, haven't had time to read the details; no shooter is complete without a badass end of level 'boss' in good old R-Type/Sol-feace fashion.

Once my fledgling dev studio has bought some copies, can you give me a rough estimate of how much additional work it would be on my side to extend the script to accommodate an 'end of level boss'? I don't thing it would be much, but it's always good to know.

Also, documentation; us code monkeys love documentation. What can we expect roughly in that respect?

Cheers,
    Chris

Ahmed_Al_Asl, EbalStudios and limo like this.
  47. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

The boss is the highlight of the level on any Shmup, Right now you could create bosses from regular enemies with multiple weapons, but of course this means they are not completely a boss in technical terms.
    A boss needs multiple stages and different hit boxes, we are yet to find a suitable way to implement this and allow for customizable changes, in the first version release the bosses will be made of regular enemies. but maybe in the the updates we could create a separate boss module with multiple templates to choose from. Right now our focus is mainly on making a good core which we could add modules to or build upon later on.

If you download our first release and want to make a boss with different stages and hit boxes out of it, you would need to create the boss parts as different enemies then somehow parent them to control their behaviors or find some workarounds.

The documentation and tutorials should be similar to https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/templates/packs/mines-evader-118723 , if you have time to take a quick look at it and let us know any shortcomings, we will greatly appreciate it and try to include these improvements in the Shmup package documentation. The code will of course has comments
    We will also add an API but only few months after the first release.

Ahmed_Al_Asl, DrOcto and Neviah like this.
  48. Deleted User

Deleted User

Well, I guess that's my weekend sorted, thanks guys. :) I'll have a think about the 'boss' implementation and feedback what I try. I'm with you on your development approach; MVP, then CI.

Ahmed_Al_Asl, DrOcto and EbalStudios like this.
  49. DrOcto

DrOcto

So the summer is almost here and I just want to ask how is it going :) and any new nice things that you have put in it for us ;)

50. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

Hey! Yes!
    Just added a bullet hit effect, the sort of where you can pick either a still image or animated sprite to appear once the player or enemy are hit by any projectile.
    At the moment lots of tiny script improvements, folder structure, making demo levels, testing, documentation, tool tips, script comments, help boxes.
    Most of the script components are completely rebuilt now, still have the mines and weapons components to rewrite and we need to finish up the documentation, demos and testing.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018