Search Unity

AI [WIP] SoulLink Artificial Intelligence System

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by magique, Oct 5, 2021.

1. magique

magique

Videos

Some video tutorials showing some basic AI setup in the current alpha version can be found here:

https://rumble.com/vn7fao-soullink-ai-tutorial-video-1-basic-setup.html
    https://rumble.com/vn7oxc-soullink-ai-tutorial-video-2-interactions.html
    https://rumble.com/vn7qks-soullink-ai-tutorial-video-3-time-of-day-tasks.html

Playable Demos
    Dragon Strike is a playable game in alpha testing that uses both SoulLink Spawner and the SoulLink AI system:

https://magiqueprod.itch.io/dragon-strike

The first playable demo showing some alpha melee combat and boss battle feature. (Note: uses old LifeLink branding)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ro9xtxnjy7p31t5/LifeLinkAI-UndeadBattle.zip?dl=0

Compatibility
    Unity 2019 and above

Discord
    Follow along with development on Discord: https://discord.gg/ncW9UmU

Last edited: Dec 4, 2022
    BroVodo and Mark_01 like this.
  2. magique

magique

Here are some more details on some specific features of interest that you will find in SoulLink AI:

Sensors
    Sensors allow the AI to act and react to its environment. The most common sensor is an Interact Sensor, which allows the AI to detect interactable objects in the game world and decide whether or not to perform an interaction. For example, an interactable object might be stalks of corn in a farmer's field. When the AI detects the interactable object, it may stop what it was doing and go off and pick some corn. Another example would be a chair. If the Ai is passing by a chair, it may decide to go sit down and take a rest.

Other sensors will be for detecting sound and scent. Additional possibilities may be developed or could be added by game developers.

Task Scheduler
    Setup complex schedules for your AI so that they may behave like real individuals in your game world. AI may have multiple schedules with each schedule having multiple task lists. Tasks can be performed sequentially, randomly, or by time of day. You may give your AI multiple schedules and switch between them based on game circumstances. For example, you may have a Morning, Afternoon, and Evening schedule for your AI. Perhaps your farmer wakes up in the morning, fixes breakfast and then goes into the fields to perform tasks on the farm (e.g. picking/planting crops, feeding the animals, etc.). In the afternoon your farmer goes to the market to buy or sell goods. In the evening, he goes to the local tavern and has a meal and a drink before returning home to sleep for the night.

Fade In/Out
    The AI can be configured to fade in when they spawn and fade out when they die.

Start and Death Spawns
    You can define a list of prefabs to spawn when the AI starts (typically when it is spawned) and when it dies. Start spawns can be used for cool effects as the AI spawns in.

Animation Sequences
    An animation sequence is a list of one or more animation clips that are independent of the Animator Controller that can be played at various times. For example, an animation sequence can be defined to play when the AI is spawned. So, instead of the AI just spawning in an idle state, it could rise from the ground first. An example of this can be seen in the playable demo Undead Battle where the skeletons rise from the ground with a cloud of dust (using the Star Spawn feature for the dust). Animation sequences can also be used for interactions such as picking corn or sitting down in a chair. They are also utilized in end of phase for Boss AI.

Shake On Damaged
    Configure your AI to shake when damage is applied to them. This is an effect seen in games like Dragon's Dogma.

RPG Module
    The RPG module is included with SoulLink and allows you to define races, classes, attributes, skills, and abilities. You can create classes as templates for giving your AI specific starting skills and abilities. You can define leveling parameters and allow your AI to level up.

AI can mix Melee and Ranged Combat seamlessly
    No need to define your AI as ranged or melee. Just define your AI's abilities, which can be a mix of ranged or melee, and your AI will decide how to use those abilities effectively.

AI can perform user-defined abilities
    The same system to define your AI's ranged and melee combat attacks is also used to define other AI abilities such as buff/debuff spells.

Multiple Health Bars
    Configure your AI to have multiple health bars. When one health bar is depleted, the AI can go into an end of phase state (described below) and then continues with a new health bar. Tick marks beneath the health bar show how many bars must be depleted before the enemy dies.

Attack Sets
    After defining all your AI's abilities, you can group them into named sets, which you can switch between during combat or by a specific schedule.

End of Phase Actions
    Configure your AI to perform actions when a health bar has been depleted. Each health bar can be configured to be an end-of-phase. If an end-of-phase is triggered, you can have the AI perform any number of actions such as playing an animation sequence, playing sounds, spawning effects, switching attack sets, etc. This allows you to have spectacular transitions in your battle before moving to the next phase.

Swimming
    Configure your AI with the ability to swim in bodies of water.

Flying
    Configure your AI with the ability to fly and remove the constraints of a typical nav mesh.

Wandering
    Give your AI the wander task so that he may move about the game world. Freeform wandering lets your AI randomly pick wandering positions. Locations based wandering instructs your AI to move about the game world between specified game locations (e.g. Inn, Home, Farm, Camp, etc.). Finally, Waypoints moves your AI along specific predefined points (useful for patrolling).

However, while wandering is useful for some circumstances, giving your AI proper schedules is the best way to bring them to life so that they perform meaningful tasks instead of aimlessly moving about the world without purpose.

Companions
    Allow your players to have one or more companion that travel with the player and assist with combat and completing quests.

Leaders
    Configure some AI to be leaders that guide a player through the game world.

Spawning System
    There will be a built-in spawning system that will allow you to randomly spawn AI dynamically around the player at
    runtime based on various rules such as time of day, terrain textures, biomes, areas, terrain height, weather conditions, etc.

Auto Agrro
    Mark your AI's as Auto Aggro and if they are engaged in combat then they will automatically aggro nearby allies.

Support AI
    Add support abilities to your AI and they can buff and heal nearby allies during combat.

Note: This list is not complete and I will add items to it as development continues. Some of these features are still in development and not available in playable demos.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2023
    BroVodo, Mark_01, julianr and 2 others like this.
  3. magique

magique

Happy Thanksgiving!

4. magique

magique

I'm currently working on the procedural AI spawning module. I plan to release this module separately on the store as SoulLink Spawner and it will also be included in the full SoulLink AI package as well.

5. magique

magique

upload_2021-12-7_21-21-35.png

Mark_01 likes this.
  6. magique

magique

Beta testing will be starting tomorrow for the SoulLink Spawner stand-alone asset. Join our discord channel to sign up for testing. Post your answers to the following questions in the General channel.

1. What is your preferred Unity version? (Minimum required is 2019 LTS)
    2. What rendering pipeline do you use? (Built-In, URP, HDRP)
    3. What AI system and version will you be testing with?
    4. What terrain shader do you use? (Unity, MicroSplat, CTS, etc.)
    5. What, if any, sky system are you using?
    6. Do you use Dialogue System?
    7. Do you use MapMagic?
    8. Do you use Core GameKit?
    9. Are there any specific integrations you hope SoulLink Spawner will support in the future?
    10. Provide your computer specs: Windows version (32/64 bit), System RAM, and Video Card Specs

7. magique

magique

The Beta Test has officially started. I've released the first beta test package for those who have signed up for the test. There is still plenty of room for people who want to test the Spawner module. Hop on the Discord channel to sign up.

8. magique

magique

I'm looking into adding weather filters for SoulLink Spawner so that your spawning can be further controlled by the current weather conditions in your game. I believe this feature will be added before the end of the beta test and definitely for the official asset store release.

Mark_01 likes this.
  9. magique

magique

Beta testing for SoulLink Spawner will only be for this week. Saturday evening, testing will be closed and I will start preparing for an asset store release.

10. magique

magique

To encourage lots of testing this week, I will be giving away up to 3 SoulLink Spawner Licenses to the testers that I believe have helped the most and done the most to assist me in improving the asset during this week of testing. So, lots of testing, bug finding, and feedback will help get you the free license. If you have not signed up for the beta yet, it's not too late. I will still accept new testers until late Monday the 13th.

Mark_01 likes this.
  11. Mark_01

Mark_01

Even tho I know you are a "new publisher" I would have
    zero hesitation in buying this asset and other if you make more.

To me I have many if not close to all " RPG " type systems.

Looking around tho GKC is the best, mostly because of the way it is written,
    and the tons of options it has to make almost any type of game you can think of.
    So I am looking forward to seeing integration with it.

Do you have any start price idea ?
    Thanks. :)

magique likes this.
  12. magique

magique

I am still thinking about pricing. It will be competitive pricing and probably have a release date special price.

Mark_01 likes this.
  13. magique

magique

I should also add that you will receive a price cut on the AI solution if you purchase the Spawner solution because Spawner will be a part of the AI system.

Mark_01 likes this.
  14. magique

magique

I've added weather filters to the beta test and they are working for Enviro integration so far. Additional weather system integrations coming soon.

Mark_01 likes this.
  15. magique

magique

Here is a look at the improved interface.

upload_2021-12-20_18-51-11.png

Mark_01 likes this.
  16. magique

magique

Merry Christmas everyone!

17. magique

magique

Happy New Year!

18. magique

magique

I'm currently in the process of creating a playable demo for the Spawner component, which will also include SoulLink AI. This demo is part of my final work to complete the Spawner component for release. Some of the assets I'm using for the demo are as follows:

SoulLink AI and Spawner
    Enviro
    Realistic FPS Prefab
    Landscape Builder
    Microsplat
    Final IK
    Protofactor Inc Creatures and Animals
    Winter Environment - Nature Pack
    Forest Environment - Dynamic Nature
    Monster/Creature/Hero SFX
    et. al.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2022
  19. magique

magique

upload_2022-1-7_22-34-0.png

Progress on the demo.

20. magique

magique

I'm in the process of adding integrations for Gaia for time of day and weather features.

21. magique

magique

I've added custom temperature system that can be used on all weather system integrations that don't have their own temperature feature. This unlocks the Temperature Weather filter for the spawner component.

upload_2022-1-21_12-52-0.png

22. magique

magique

Beta 1.3 has been released to testers. Here is the latest tutorial video:

23. magique

magique

As I am testing with a few different AI systems, I am finding that some AI systems do not play well with object pooling. The last thing I want to do is release a product that has issues with AI systems that people are going to buy it for. Spawner works with Emerald AI and SoulLink AI, which is not yet released. Initial testing with Invector FSM AI shows some spawning issues that need to be resolved.

It will be a huge benefit if people could post here what AI system they would like to use SoulLink Spawner with so that I can test against those systems and provide solutions.

BroVodo likes this.
  24. magique

magique

I've added integration for Expanse sky system.

25. SorraTheOrc

SorraTheOrc

I want this for my own custom AI solution. Obviously not expecting you to do that integration though ;-)

The Universal AI publisher is also in a beta stage for a new update. He's very active with enabling integrations, maybe reach out to him.

magique likes this.
  26. magique

magique

I am now in the process of putting together the first release candidate for the SoulLink Spawner component. This involves updating all the documentation, creating new tutorial videos, and preparing all the asset store marketing materials. I anticipate about 1 week before I can submit to the store.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2022
    SorraTheOrc likes this.
  27. magique

magique

Here is a sneak peek of the upcoming playable demo that will showcase SoulLink Procedural AI Spawner as well as a pre-alpha version of the AI system

Hikiko66 likes this.
  28. magique

magique

Progress has been good this week, but I'm not quite ready for a store submissions. I have to re-make my Quick Start Video and upgrade all the documentation still.

29. magique

magique

I'm preparing the SoulLink Procedural AI Spawner for store release. I've got about 90% of the work done and am mostly waiting now to see if my beta testers have any major issues with the release candidate.

30. magique

magique

SoulLink Spawner has been officially submitted to the asset store. According to Unity's confirmation e-mail, it could take 20-30 business days to get approved.

31. magique

magique

32. magique

magique

33. magique

magique

The 10% launch discount for SoulLink Spawner ends today.

34. magique

magique

SoulLink Procedural AI Spawner Version 1.1.0 is in beta testing and adds Quest Machine and Polaris mesh terrain support. It also adds quest filters for spawns by biome and by area.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2022
  35. magique

magique

SoulLink procedural AI Spawner Version 1.1.0 is now live on the asset store.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2022
    BroVodo likes this.
  36. magique

magique

Mark_01 likes this.
  37. magique

magique

I am on track to get alpha testing started on August 1st for SoulLink AI. Here is a teaser video showing some AI setup and a few of the basic features.

Mark_01, jf3000 and PutridEx like this.
  38. magique

magique

Alpha testing has officially started for SoulLink Artificial Intelligence System. To get into the alpha test you need to have a license for SoulLink Procedural AI Spawner. Direct message me on Discord with your invoice number and you can gain access to alpha testing. Currently, alpha testing focus is on basic AI setup using templates.

Mark_01 and drcfrx like this.
  39. magique

magique

MonstaManly and Mark_01 like this.
  40. magique

magique

Magique Productions, Ltd. is sponsoring SoulLink Game Jam #2. Already we have over $3,000 in asset store prizes. This contest focuses on the upcoming SoulLink AI system and a fantasy game theme.

https://itch.io/jam/soullink-game-jam-2

41. magique

magique

The game jam started and we have 16 confirmed contestants. It's not too late to join. Just grab a SoulLink Spawner license and contact me on Discord for your tester access.

42. magique

magique

It's not too late to get into the SoulLink Game Jam #2. We have over $4,000 value in asset store prizes from the following great sponsors:

Procedural Worlds: https://canopy.procedural-worlds.com/

ArtenGame: www.artengame.com

3DForge: https://www.3dforge.co.za/

Pixel Crushers: https://www.pixelcrushers.com/

Toby Fredson: https://www.artstation.com/tobyfredson

UModeler, Inc.: https://assetstore.unity.com/publishers/26411

LowlyPoly: https://assetstore.unity.com/publishers/16677

Daelonik Artworks: http://www.daelonik.com/

Code Stage: https://assetstore.unity.com/publishers/3918

MalberS Animations: https://assetstore.unity.com/publishers/16163

Magic Sound Effects: https://assetstore.unity.com/publishers/52827

3D Haven: https://assetstore.unity.com/publishers/36677

Two Cubes: https://www.gamekitcontroller.com/

The contest is now open to use any licensed assets you own except competing AI products. The theme needs to be 3D fantasy, but that includes sci-fi fantasy as well as medieval fantasy.

43. magique

magique

SoulLink AI Beta Testing is just around the corner. If you are a current license holder of SoulLink Spawner, you may participate in the beta process. Please direct message me on Discord with your invoice # in order to gain access to the testing channel for beta access. Beta will be starting within the next month.

Please be prepared to share the following information in the testing channel if you are going to be doing serious beta testing:

Unity Version
    Rendering Pipeline? Built-in/URP/HDRP
    Sky/Weather System
    Player Controller
    Using Dialogue System or Quest Machine? Yes/No
    Using FinalIK? Yes/No
    Using Playmaker? Yes/No
    Please list any other notable assets you will be using that may require integration.

Discord server: https://discord.gg/MPtEBb5gh

Mark_01 likes this.