Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.
  2. We are updating our Terms of Service for all Unity subscription plans, effective October 13, 2022, to create a more streamlined, user-friendly set of terms. Please review them here: unity.com/legal/terms-of-service.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Have a look at our Games Focus blog post series which will show what Unity is doing for all game developers – now, next year, and in the future.
    Dismiss Notice

Games [WIP] Soaring Stars Lab: DAD (Digital Airfoil Designer)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by AlanMattano, Apr 23, 2019.

1. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

2. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

DAD software let you make, modify and test airfoils or hydrofoils in a simple and fast way. It includes a no dynamic bat interface to run Xfoil and read the result. It will be a commercial product.

DAD is a Digital Airfoil Designer VR CFD editor tool in beta stage for drawing propeller blade, sail, wing sections profiles and testing aerodynamic characteristics in a Digital Wind Tunnel. Specific software for the subsonic field of fluid mechanics. The coefficient results are displayed into charts. It lets you run XFoil in a simple user interface and run a virtual wind tunnel 2D CFD in Windows PC.
    • Re
    • Min and Max alpha
    • Alpha Steps
    • Nc turbulence
    • Airfoil editor via sliders
    • Symmetric airfoil option
    • NACA airfoil series interface
    • Automatic airfoil panelling
    • Chart: alpha lift
    • Chart: drag coefficient and cdp
    • Chart: LD efficient as a function of alpha or lift
    • Xfoil data info display
    • Load and Save DAD format
    • Export .dat airfoil file.
    More to come:
    • Artificial intelligence is responsible for choosing the best result autonomously.
    • VR capabilities to expand the user experience (angle of view)

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  3. Circool

Circool

The UI is superb! It looks like a control panel for the Death Star. What do you use for drawing curves and graphs?

AlanMattano likes this.
  4. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

AMSoaringStars2018-drowing-03white-2K.png
    Thanks. Yes, and the branding logo has the same feeling of that saga. I'm old; from b/w TV and green monitors. Xfoil is Fortran77 so I try to maintain the visual spirit. I make some research first and then I sketch up the initial idea. For excitement, I added bloom post process effect. I try to make a healthy useful UI without adding superfluous information.

upload_2019-4-24_14-11-39.png

5. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

AIRFOIL
    In YouTube, I search and found NurFACEGAMES Bezier Curves in Unity. The airfoil is made up using 4 curves using line render and a camera. Control points are in a fixed axis. A camera picks up the final image and transforms it into a render texture. I use that airfoil texture in the UI.

upload_2019-4-24_14-50-57.png

CHARTS

I purchased from the Unity Asset Store, Toucan Systems Smart Charts simple to implement and somehow I was able to work around bugs. Later I purchased BitSplash Interactive Graph And Chart what looks like a more promising better option but is not integrated yet.

upload_2019-4-24_14-46-34.png

Attached Files:

unityunity