Search Unity

Games WIP Small Works Game / Programming Thread

Discussion in 'Projects In Progress' started by Tim-C, Aug 6, 2012.

1. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Thanks for the compliment - it's more than I was expecting at this stage! Needless to say, I was inspired with the design a bit by this tune...

I'll work on that - I also need to paint details to the road segments, and finish painting the details on the road intersection segments. Somehow, I think that alone will help a lot, provided I make it contrast enough so that the player can pick the foreground from the background.

In other news: I notice terrain dosen't pick up fog...and since I want the player to get a sense of height, a bit of fog obscuring the ground might help the feel of the scene. Any tips on how to pull that one off, or is my scene simply too close to the terrain?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  2. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Just been working on a small side project, an kind of mechanical eye like the one in Advert Fate, its not textured or anything yet, I've just been working on the lens of the eye:

3. jessee03

jessee03

New dungeon area. Created this in a few hours today. View image to see enlarged version.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  4. diegzumillo

diegzumillo

5. Dioxide

Dioxide

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  6. diegzumillo

diegzumillo

I like the presentation and the general idea is quite neat! The gameplay right now is a little convoluted, the player model moves too slowly and blocks most of my view and the enemies move too fast.

I have two different suggestions regarding player visibility 1) make it transparent 2) change the camera view a little so we see the path ahead. The second is much trickier to make it work because of controlling issues. The player controls a character in a small 2d plane that just got smaller by tilting the camera. See, your game is more complicated than all fly-in-tunnel kind of games, which are usually 1d (either running from side to side or rotating in a tube) because where these only need one parameter as input, you need two!

Regarding the movement, if you make this a browser game I'd suggest switching the controls to direct mouse movement, no need to click, to make the player more agile. However, by "tap here" I assume you intend to take this to mobile platforms, which is more challenging since tapping where to go tend to block the screen with the player's hand, even if he uses two hands (each hand for half the screen). This isn't a problem when the game isn't fast paced, like puzzles, or doesn't demand to touch everywhere on the screen, like jetpack joyride. I even play Jetpack Joyride with my left hand because he runs to the right. I'm tempted to suggest using the accelerometers of the device to control the player, like those mazes with a mercury ball maybe, (would require the device to be horizontal... nah) or touching the sides to move left/right and leaning the device to move up/down. Or you can try using a directional at the corner of the screen! they have a bad reputation for being a cheap/lazy type of controller but in some cases it's the best way to go.

7. lazygunn

lazygunn

very interested in this kind of thing!

8. Zaddo67

Zaddo67

In the process of developing a car racing game, I have written a package to support force feedback devices in Unity Free (Windows Only).

I am considering making this available in the Unity Asset store, for around $15? I would welcome feedback to see if there is any interest for this utility.

A demo project is available via this link. Note, I have disabled some functions so I don't give my work away for free. All functions are paramerterised, so you have complete control over feedback sent to device.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/87201649/TestWheel.zip

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  9. chippy-cheese

chippy-cheese

Please Help test out my beta game for a phone game currently it is in the PC version.
    Please Let me know what you think by sending me a private message.
    Please tell me how long you are able to last and how many rats you smashed
    This will help me improve the game.

I suggest going for full screen before playing the game.

Left Click to smash the rats.
    Right click and drag to move around the camera.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/85668112/WebPlayer.html

Enjoy and Happy Smashing

10. fivearchers

fivearchers

Thought I'd share my procedural buildings:

webplayer

So the foundation contains an object holds a list of valid first floor objects (currently only one first floor model). The first floor model, likewise contains a child object with a list of valid spawns – two different second floor prefabs (actually three, but only two different models). The second floor spawns a roof object, and one of the variants has the chance to spawn a third floor (which of course would then spawn a roof).

11. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

When you say procedural, do you mean you join together various pre-made pieces in various combinations?

12. fivearchers

fivearchers

Yes that's the method I'm using.

13. Blacklight

Blacklight

Then I think the word would be modular, unless you're putting the pieces together procedurally.

14. diegzumillo

diegzumillo

I think he's putting the pieces together procedurally. There are several procedural city generators that work this way.

15. fivearchers

fivearchers

Yes they are being generated procedurally, from modular parts. :)

16. fivearchers

fivearchers

Yay got a basic Mechanim/Animator state machine AI rigged up for my scorpions:

webplayer

I'm using the generic animation type as they are clearly not humanoid. Exported everything from C4D, baked. Really once I went through the Mechanim tutorial it was pretty easy and powerful way to go.

Also wrote a little script to snap the scorpions to the terrain, as I couldn't figure out if there was a way to use physics for driving the motion while preventing an object from going through things. (Actually they'll happily run through any object, my script just keeps them snapped to the terrain-have to add banking to that eventually!)

Pretty sure I'll be able to send the animator the distance to target and have it trigger an appropriate attack animation - that's my next goal.

17. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

18. fivearchers

fivearchers

Looks like it could be pretty cool!

19. hellcaller

hellcaller

here's my doodling in unity3d:

20. welby

welby

nice,..

should be called " One of everything! " :p

Certainly I good way to store useful scripts!

21. hellcaller

hellcaller

Actually it's kind of my learning project and all of the scripts i've been coding myself. I do realize it ain't a most elegant code, but still i'm a bit proud of my self :roll: cuz when i've started my acquaintance with Unity i've been total noob in coding.

22. DevionGames

DevionGames

I thought my pathfinding system is good, but as i switched to a 3000m x 3000m map, it was a realy bad idea to make one grid for the whole map :D

Now i make grids where i need them, i can also stich grids together and move from one to the other. In this way i can customize the pathfining grid in the region i would like:

23. MarkHenryC

MarkHenryC

Great idea. I think it's got potential. Maybe look at ways of minimising the physics calculations so you can use it in a game. Be good to see a few obstacles in the demo and a bit more control of the machine. You've got the basis for a multi-player robot wars game.

24. blackbird

blackbird

any chance for asset store ?

25. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

26. DOCSKI_GAMES

DOCSKI_GAMES

27. Marrt

Marrt

Hi, i am playing around with homing missiles in 2D-Space for my game, i scripted some homing patterns,
    -Are they interesting in terms of gameplay?

you can try them in my webplayer, just click HomingMissileEvaluation and fiddle around (SPACE to shoot missiles)

$Untitled.jpg

The default mode is the most advanced, giving me the best results (it uses a PID-Controller)
    the others are just plain seekers with a twist that end up circling the target most of the time

-Would this make an interesting minigame where you have to avoid or guide missiles with your mouse cursor?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  28. fivearchers

fivearchers

It was kind of neat to mess around with - maybe you need combinations of types at varying ranges that would be cool!

29. Nappael

Nappael

I've been pretty busy with other things for a while, so haven't had much of a chance to make anything. Got some time over the last few days.

The basic idea of the game is to speedrun levels by swapping the position and certain properties of objects. In the first video, I show myself swapping cubes to activate switches, and then I use it on myself to teleport to the end of the level

In the second video, I use it to exchange momentum between the player and a cube, I also use an accelerator to give the cube momentum.

30. Marrt

Marrt

Yeah, the special Modes where the Missile doesn't immediately seeks should use the pid-control too as they start to seek, currently they just slerp their rotation causing the infinite orbiting sometimes.

i just dont know where to put the missiles, my ships have 2-4 weaponsets containing 4 weapons each.
    -should i make my ships having a dedicated missile slot per built/set OR should i just treat them as a choose-able weapon
    -should i make different homing modes choose-able OR lock them to certain missile types OR allow mode switching in-game
    -should i allow target-switching mid-air

and i also dont know how i should do the target locking to make it enjoyable, maybe some kind of holding the lasersight or reticle on or near it for some time. Then a donut shaped progress bar would show up around the enemy that locks it when its full. Or special gadgets that mark immediately when enemy gets hit with them

31. HolBol

HolBol

This is Jetcat. With no art in place whatsoever.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  32. Ben-Massey

Ben-Massey

I cant make a lick of sense out of the screenshot, can we expect a webplayer soon? :)

33. HolBol

HolBol

Sure. Just a sneaky peek xD.

34. HolBol

HolBol

Here's an update to the picture above- now with graphics!

35. KelsoMRK

KelsoMRK

Video demo of the Model Viewer for Fractured State. Because the game is mod-friendly we had to develop our own workflows for everything. This means that meshes are loaded at runntime from a custom XML-based file format, all materials are created at runtime with textures loaded dynamically as well. In the beginning you can also see the beginnings of our UI system that uses an XML file that looks a lot like HTML. It builds and textures meshes at runtime and renders them with an orthographic camera on a separate layer. Currently it also supports positioning of elements (left, right, top, bottom, center) and will position correctly with nested elements.

36. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

I just started working on a brand new, yet small game... can't tell much yet from this screenshot because the main game elements aren't implemented yet, but needless to say it'll be very colorful and will implement a very unique rendering method which will provide very unique gameplay possibilities :D

$BlobTest2.jpg

37. Deleted User

Deleted User

Sorry it's taken so long to reply -I've been a bit busy converting my advanced texturing component to Unity 4, but after I've finished that, I'll release the multi-material component.

38. dtg108

dtg108

Looks good, fishman, can't wait to try webplayer *hint hint*.

39. dtg108

dtg108

Hey guys, I'm going to try something that will hopefully brighten my game development skills. I want to try to complete a small game with a deadline of January 3rd.. It will be just a small first person free roam game over a small area where you can shoot at things. I want to add a couple of things:

Police system
    cover system
    Maybe a couple other things.

Since I want to be realistic, I will probably focus mostly on gameplay and use already made assets mostly (Buildings, terrain, weapons will probably be mine.) And then if it does good, I will add more things/ my own assets after the main gameplay is finished and the deadline is up. I'll update here daily starting the day after tomorrow (I'll be traveling home.) I'd like some ideas of more things to possibly add slash feedback, so I'm open to anything. Thanks and tell me what you think!

40. HolBol

HolBol

Haha, probably won't be doing a webplayer as it's an android-only game as of yet.

41. dtg108

dtg108

42. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Looks cool :D Is this for the game a month thing?

43. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Hey. .. um... no ... thoughts about the game-a-month thing has already kicked me in the butt enough to get me moving on making `actual` progress with something. The screenshot doesn't really show anything to do with the game at all, per se, but it's part of working toward the final result which will look quite different but be equally curvy wurvy. Actually I'm making some good progress for a change.

44. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

I refactored my custom GUI system, to be still more easily inclusive in other projects going forward! The fact that I allocated one class to a file makes maintenance easier (I didn't follow the C# standard on Interfaces; since they're so short, I just threw them all in the same file.) I also provide a constructor just in the event one wants to make a derived class that adds or overrides some functionality.

Looking for suggestions, as I'd love to put this up on the Asset Store for a modest fee ($5-10 USD? I don't want to make it expensive.)

It's also very much WIP...bear that in mind!

Attached Files:

45. dtg108

dtg108

Today I finished some things for my small free roam game that I talked about above. Here's what I finished:
    -Downloaded placeholder models/animations
    -Worked on terrain a bit
    -Worked on some code for AI
    That's pretty much what I finished today! I might not have much time tommorow or the next day (Christmas), but I will try to implement these features by the 27th:
    -Finish AI
    -Finish Terrain
    -Start on character controller (FPS)
    -If I have time, work on HUD.
    After I finish this, I will try to upload a vid of it. PLEASE comment and tell me what you would like to have added/show that you would like something like that, and I will work on some more things after I finish the main part and my deadline is up. (I'll work on it part time, I have another project that comes first :D.)

46. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

I thought I would show off my circuitry in Unity, I think this is rather cool :D It has some issues, like when you place a block it doesn't add it to the others, so the others effect it but it won't effect them... it is very(one line) easy to fix this but then there is a much bigger problem as it has infinite energy(ias when you place a block it makes the other one its input and it the others input)! So i'm looking for a fix for that problem.

47. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

A little progress update... getting excited about this. The entire environment is a curved surface which can move and morph in some very interesting ways. In this picture the reddish areas represent those that are `open` for the player to move around in, the rest is a boundary. It's using a quick test palette at the moment but the game will probably end up being mostly white, and the boundaries will be more defined with a smaller range of colors. At the moment there can be up to 16 curved surface objects in each 64x64 cell - about 3840 visible on-screen at a time and it updates full speed, full resolution, in realtime. It's also totally resolution independent and fully antialiased. And it's a puzzle platformer with a unique control system, so imagine a little fella running around the contours :D

$Warp.jpg

Actually maybe this one shows the idea better. The dark blue areas would be areas you can move around in. I guess the enclosed areas are kind of `rooms`. You'll be able to flip across the boundaries in and out of rooms from any direction. There are no polygons or bitmaps in sight! Yay!

$Warp2.jpg

Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
  48. Defaultio

Defaultio

Nobody ever said that electrons lived an easy life. :)

In Lux you control an electron going through an obstacle course to light up a light bulb.
    You use up voltage by moving and getting hit by lasers. When you run out of voltage
    the game is over.

49. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Still fiddling around with a curved environment. It took quite a lot of trial and error to get the shader to work correctly. Now that objects are in their correct positions and I'm learning to understand the quirks, flexibilities and potentials of working with this kind of `medium`. I'm impressed with the speed and quality, given there are upwards of 1 billion instructions executing every frame at 2560x1440 at around 315fps - somewhere in the region of 2-3 trillion calculations/second - on my iMac anyway. It looks and runs extremely smoothly - I haven't tested it yet on older hardware but I think it should manage 60fps fairly well, perhaps at a lower resolution.

I'm undecided on whether to stay with the red/white scheme... it's very minimalistic, keeping with my original mockups, but more colorful versions are interesting.

$Warp3.png

50. gallenwolf

gallenwolf

Worked on this bullet hell shooter over the xmas break. Unity is quite fun!

This link to play :)

Attached Files: