Search Unity

WIP Small Works Game / Programming Thread

Discussion in 'Works In Progress' started by Tim-C, Aug 6, 2012.

1. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Another little update, stacked bars with 3D look and feel:

$StackedBars.png

Coming soon... scatter chart and Scene View heat map.

@keithsoulasa - Yes you can run it during play mode and listen to in game events. Thats one of the things that will be in the larger project (analytics). For example start a multiplayer testing session and show a heat map of the places where players spend most of their time or where they die the most.

2. diegzumillo

diegzumillo

That's my impression too. The rules talk about small works, not small projects. More specifically, I think they want projects that are serious and somewhat advanced but not necessarily big. What I think they want to avoid, and I agree, is a bunch of threads with just ideas, a couple of scripts and placeholder assets, and a new update for every new texture added. Things like "This is my mmorpg that will make millions of dollars, so far I have a terrain. Look at my terrain." That's a big project, sure, but while it's just a terrain show the terrain here. The terrain generator could be considered small work, while a small project like an iphone game is not small work.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  3. Glitch19

Glitch19

Hi Folks again,

Thought I'd add a link to the facebook page, and here it is:

http://www.facebook.com/derekcallme

Also please share this around, the game that is but it wouldn't hurt to share the facebook page :D,
    to as many people as possible. We need all the testers we can get.

PS Thought I'd put this here instead of a new thread, am I wrong for doing this?

4. diegzumillo

diegzumillo

I control the foreground guy completely and the jumping of the background guy. Is this the expected behavior? Original, but weird and difficult. I managed the first level only.

5. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

@hellraizerhhh - loving the vids of your game! Keep up the great work.

6. TheSin

TheSin

Very disappointed. I got mine moved to this thread. Was/is a big project and the videos were pretty advanced. Now its lost in this thread. Oh well!

7. etoreo

etoreo

Hey guys,
    I have just "finished" my first commercial unity project. It is intended for the Apple App Store, but I need to beta test it with more than just a few of my friends. That's where you guys come in - you can be my friends too! :)

If you have an iOS device of any kind, you can get in on the beta test by signing up with my Test Flight team. Test Flight is an iOS solution that allows me to distribute apps to a select group of people without releasing to the Apple App Store.

Tanks Online HD is an online-only "death match" style tank game. You can configure your tank with the options you like best and compete against other players online. Earn online ranking, achievements, badges, and more.

So, if you are interested in helping out and have an iOS device, please sign up: http://tflig.ht/Qn0nfr

8. Mander

Mander

Looking good.

u should upload a gameplayvideo or explain a bit more about ur game. are there any upgrades or skins or something?

9. etoreo

etoreo

I wouldn't even know how to capture game play footage of the game... But I can give more info. :cool:

Tank configuration options include:
    • Color - Completely cosmetic
    • Cannon
      • Cannon Ball
      • Shell
      • Explosive Shell
    • Armor
      • Light
      • Medium
      • Heavy
    • Missile Upgrade - Allows you to fire missiles
    • Mine Upgrade - Allows you to place mines (max of 3 out at a time)
    • Mine Sweeper Upgrade - Allows you to see mines
    Each time you add more to your tank, you move slower.

Killing players and winning games adds to your rank that you can see in game and online on our website.

Games are to 15 points, killing another player gives you 1 point.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  10. n8

n8

etoreo, just signed up for the beta. looks cool and I will give you my thoughts. The way I got my game play footage was to fire up Quicktime on my my mac and do a screen recording. you can select the unity game window and record just that. works pretty well other than being able to see the mouse move. The only other option is to get some sort of tv out from ipad/iphone to mac to record the footage. those are aroud $200-$300 i think. good luck on your game!

11. etoreo

etoreo

Thanks n8. I just saw your game play footage, that looks great! Nice work.

12. n8

n8

ha thanks. that game play footage is very old. I was just looking at it myself and couldn't believe how far it has come since then. I have a new trailer that I am working on now. should be up soon.

13. dproederSGD

dproederSGD

14. fanwe

fanwe

Can it be modified to 2D Worms-style terrain destruction ? It is possible to buy this script? Please tell me? Thanks

15. NTSoft

NTSoft

server developed with C#.Net console app it is separate thing like you say

16. HolBol

HolBol

I've been modelling a Sci-Fi corridor. I've also, as of 5 minutes ago, learnt how to bake normal maps from high poly meshes in Blender. It's probably taken me so long because I avoid video tutorials like the plague (no offence to the mostly american people who create these tutorials, the american accent is, like the Scottish and Italian accent, one I find very hard to listen to). Thank goodness for there being a written tutorial on blendercookie!

17. nepoez

nepoez

Wait till you hear a Vietnamese accent!

18. nepoez

nepoez

19. Ocid

Ocid

S'Alright your English so thats punishment enough :p

20. tripknotix

tripknotix

Sorry for this, theres a bug in this system that will not let me remove this thread from my subscriptions (this is due to subscribing to my original thread before it got moved here), theres no checkbox to delete it , however i just found that if i reply to this thread and uncheck the subscription box on the reply page, it might allow me to unsubscribe. is anyone experiencing this forum bug after their post was moved here?

21. TahirG

TahirG

Our game ROOTS was updated once more, the functionalities here are not final but should give the general idea.

22. mcunha98

mcunha98

23. mgear

mgear

Testing PointCloud viewer in Unity

40 million points seems to still work fine (~34fps with mouseorbit).

Some future ideas to try:
    - Colored point clouds?
    - ply binary reader?

Attachment image:
    3.6million points from xyz data file ( point cloud data is from : http://graphics.stanford.edu/data/3Dscanrep/ )

Attached Files:

24. diegzumillo

diegzumillo

Cool! what are you planning to do with this?

25. mgear

mgear

Going to try it later with VR glasses motion tracking,
    then could walk inside laser scanned models / buildings maybe..?

26. IndieScapeGames

IndieScapeGames

Okay guys, this is my first showcase of my project I'm working on, and really the first thing anyone has seen of my work. Don't judge too harshly! Still a newbie who enjoys Game Development as a hobby.

Proposition:
    I am interested in finding a creative artist person to fill in the areas I lack, such as human modeling, (thus the missing torso and legs of our hero here). I'd also like a bit more help with vehicles and, overall the whole art department. I'm willing to help trade code, some $$$, or any negotiations to help me out. If you're interested, PM me.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  27. Finjitzu

Finjitzu

28. HolBol

HolBol

EDIT: Dammit, wrong thread xD

29. AlexZ

AlexZ

30. TheSin

TheSin

Heres another video of my engine. Still a massive wip but coming along amazingly well. Thanks unity team.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  31. diegzumillo

diegzumillo

I really like where this is going! I thought about a lot of things while playing, let's see if I can remember them all now (most of it might be on your to-do list already, since it's a wip so just ignore it)

At the character selection screen (cool, reminds me of golden axe) I'd either remove the "fear me" or change it to something less corny.

The loading times are quite big and there is no indication that is loading. Even worse, the game starts when it's still loading most of the assts so I can walk around the dungeon without its contents.

Coming up with a good excuse for the tutorial isn't easy but I'd keep looking for something better than the previous warrior that just happened to know he was gonna die in the next room etc. How about rescuing someone from monsters, and this someone left notes for someone to save him/her? :p

The tip text that appears when the cursor is over an item sometimes gets obscured by other windows.

Jumping seems unresponsive but that might be just an impression. However, jumping mechanics in a top down game is risky! the player has no feedback of where he is vertically, which makes jumping challenges a matter of trial and error, until he learns "by ear" the distances he can make a jump.

Sometimes the walls get in the way of the camera, but I haven't encountered a situation where this would become critically frustrating or game breaker.

hmm... I thought I had something to say about the inventory and contents of chests but I forgot. :p

32. AlexZ

AlexZ

Thanks diegzumillo!

Great feed back :)

Ill try address all these points.

1. yes we definitely do need less corny dialogue lol. I will try to think something up, open to suggestions if you have any :D

2. We are implementing a fix for that this week, where the player will be locked in a cage until the level has finished streaming. Also, it should only be slow the first time since it caches the asset bundles.

3. Yes I think the back story does need to change, I will have to rethink the tutorial at some point.

4. hmmm do you know what windows block the tool tip? I haven't noticed this. Maybe its the resolution I play in.

5. Jumping is not instant, it has a slight build up at first, I have been debating to make it instant or not, still not sure at this point.

6. Yes I have also been thinking of implementing a line of sight check for the camera with a nudge or rotation. or maybe making the wall invisible, not sure yet.

Thanks for all the great suggestions, please let me know if there is anything else

33. diegzumillo

diegzumillo

No problem :D

A cage would do the trick. Maybe an infinite elevator that only reaches the ground after the level finishes loading (a bit more work though)

I think it was the window to throw items away and I was in windowed mode. You should play it in a window, I think there are some other UI awkwardness in this mode. Oh, on the subject, I wasn't playing in windowed mode intentionally (I wanted to see the menu again so I hit esc). It could use a button to go back to full screen mode, unless there is one already and I'm partially blind lol.

34. CryonicsDivision

CryonicsDivision

Looks nice.... keep up the good work

35. Nallelcm

Nallelcm

I'm working on my first unity project / game. It involves procedural meshes.

It's still a work in progress, but the basic concept will be a randomly generated maze, with a consistently increasing size.

Web Player (Hit space to remove the map)

Project Download

Can anyone give me some feedback?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  36. mgear

mgear

37. Nallelcm

Nallelcm

38. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Never mind

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  39. NiloBR

NiloBR

Adaptive tank tracks

40. rmail2006

rmail2006

A quick menu for a Voxel Shooter I'm working on.

Background is just a placeholder pic, not related to game

Attached Files:

• $12.png
      $12.png
      File size:
      273.2 KB
      Views:
    • $13.png
      $13.png
      File size:
      274.5 KB
      Views:
  41. Cameron860

Cameron860

WIP parametric track editor for my racing game Tail Drift

Currently fairly simple, just some lofted Cubic splines, loft radius along each spline is controlled with custom curves. Paths can have unlimited branches/joins. I plan to add custom cross section shapes (instead of just circles) and lots of components to attach other geometry to the track directly (power ups ect).

Current screen is using unity editor, but I'm hoping to make it simple enough to release a track editor with the game.

42. cupsster

cupsster

@Cameron Hi, i'm working on same thing.. hope to release some pictures too in next weeks. Nice work with gizmos.. It's all unity built in?

43. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Looks cool.

I just bought myself a domain name, starting to work on a website for my upcoming asset store delight ;-)

44. Cameron860

Cameron860

Added custom cross-section shapes and hooked in my general purpose 2D vector-shape editor. Never did get around to getting all my spline vector shape stuff up on the asset store. One day maybe.

45. cupsster

cupsster

That's very nice editor Cameron. So for one section are you using 2 splines or you drawing line segments all together?

46. Deleted User

Deleted User

Whilst playing Guild Wars 2 on my laptop, I was trying to get better performance, and I noticed something I've seen in a few games recently - the ability to render at a lower resolution which is upscaled to the display's resolution. My Advanced Texturing component is also very performance intensive, so I wondered if I could write a little system that did that in Unity. Here's the results of my first go:
    The image at full resolution-

The image rendered at 90% resolution and upscaled:

As you can see, for a slight reduction in image fidelity, a ~25% increase in frame rate. It needs Unity Pro for render textures.
    I'm quite sure I'm not the first person to do this(by far), but it was a fun little exercise.

47. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Interesting technique. How does it look at a 75% scale-up? You probably gain like 40% or something?

What resolution did you test at? Maybe halving the display resolution will also give a major speed boost if you had to.... or use the regular resolution, render at half res, and do some kind of high-quality upscaling shader like those 2x sprite scaling algorithms that look pretty good.

In other news, I've been working on a 2D game/graphics API to run on top of Unity. Once the API is done and released on the asset store I plan to build custom editors on top of it. Fun times ahead ;-)

48. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

I guess this counts as small works.

Sorry for the voice and volume, this was done in a hurry. I’m really busy.

Here I demonstrate how my Behaviour Tree Editor works so far.

If you don't know what that is, basically, it's what powers the A.I. system. Here I have a tool to make these A.I. systems and tweak them while playing the game.

I got some updates on it, and I may release it as open-source if anyone wants.

So far, the editor can now be used to edit the properties of actions and conditions (even while the game is running), drag nodes around, and load/save Behaviour Tree files. Files are saved in JSON format.

I was surprised and annoyed there was no ready made free code to draw a color picker dialog box in runtime for Unity, so I made one. But it was surprisingly easy, thanks to the HSBColor code in the Unity wiki site. I can also release it in open-source if anyone wants.

Also quite nice is the file dialog box code in ImprovedFileBrowser. If anyone is looking into making a runtime file dialog box, that's a good place to start.

https://victisgame.wordpress.com/

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  49. Muzzn

Muzzn

After growing entirely frustrated with Unity's many glitches, I decided to finish up the things I had been working on, and then move on (probably going to learn a new language for a bit). So here's the first thing, I created a tool which allows you to create meshes for your level. It can use either mesh or cube colliders, and basically makes it really, really easy to make 2D platformers with levels that aren't made out of cubes.

Here's a picture of a rock (as you can tell, I'm a programmer not an artist).

$Rock_mesh.PNG

It can also smooth out the rough parts.

50. Muzzn

Muzzn

I also wrote a small planet simulator. It simulates inter-planetary gravity! I quite like it, but I can't really see any use for it.

$Planets.PNG

Next, procedural texture library. Then voxel terrain. Then C++.

If anyone wants any of my scripts or stuff, PM me.

unityunity