Search Unity

Games WIP Small Works Game / Programming Thread

Discussion in 'Projects In Progress' started by Tim-C, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Kellyrayj

Kellyrayj

2. Flooryn

Flooryn

3. jakejolli

jakejolli

This is a really late response, but making sure that you use continuous collision detection will help. In my experience, moving using physics instead of transform helps that as well.

4. seanmoebeal

seanmoebeal

Hey all,

I did a little stunt where I made a game in less than 24 hours, start to finish. No time for concept art, you see, but just hit the Build button before the timer runs out. This is what I finished with.
    Certainly not a finished product, but I'm pretty proud of my last day.

In tribute to Brackeys, my unity tutorial guru.

http://www.kongregate.com/games/BinaryBeal/battle-brackeys?referrer=BinaryBeal

Open in firefox.

5. stdiopt

stdiopt

Hi All,

I wouldn't categorize this as WIP per say, but more of a proof of concept, I've been trying to squeeze out mobile performance and texture painting and this is what I came with:

notes:
    *Gravity is being controlled by accelerometer that's why spheres seem to be changing direction by their own.
    *The particles were made in a point the wouldn't get below 40~ FPS, reducing or not having subparticle emitter would increase performance and leave an acceptable effect

6. macdude2

macdude2

I assume this is vertex color based? Ray casting and texture lookups would be much to expensive on mobile I assume right? It looks really good though! What device are you running the demo on?

7. stdiopt

stdiopt

It is texture based
    Code (CSharp):
    1. if (meshCollider.Raycast(ray, out hit, rayLength)) {
    2.        paintUV(hit.textureCoord, mat, asize);
    3. }
    The trick is on painting, it is not using setPixel or getPixel instead it is a render texture and some orthographic camera, whenever it hits I get a "brush" from pool, position on the camera according to UV and enable for a few time, camera never clears.
    The FX on those canvas is the unity standard asset Bloom filter
    with textures as small as 256x256 is quite fast
    the ground is 1024x1024 since it has no effects its ok

device is galaxy note 4

8. tedthebug

tedthebug

Hi all,

I've put up a couple of prototypes on GameJolt & am keen for feedback. Everything is placeholder atm & I've just found an artist & programmer to help me clean them up & add high scores & other bits & pieces I couldn't work out. The first 2 will be done & I'd really like to do the 3rd one (crappy whale) but I need to work out a way to introduce the controls as they take a while to get used to. Details are in the game descriptions.

Note that these are web player builds so won't work in chrome.

Thanks

Who's Unbalanced? http://gamejolt.com/games/who-s-unbalanced/108493

Pogo Panic. http://gamejolt.com/games/pogo-panic/107685

Crappy Whale. http://gamejolt.com/games/crappy-whale/107812

9. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Not happy with GameJolt...

Went to try those, @tedthebug, and forgot I was on chrome and got this:
    c7e1c9db08d9a5342aec7391f7a2b332.png

This is a Google problem, not a Unity problem, and their attitude seems a bit petty.

:-/

Sorry!

tobiass likes this.
  10. tedthebug

tedthebug

No worries, thanks for trying

11. coman_games

coman_games

Hey guys!
    We are young Indie Studio "Coman Games". We are about to release our first game made in Unity. Screenshots of the game, description of mechanics and whole story around it are in our blog .
    We crave to hear your advices/suggestions :)

12. Philip Searcy

Philip Searcy

Creating a clicker game for Mobile :)

13. HolBol

HolBol

Just something small. Space shooters yay.

Trys10Studios likes this.
  14. gamadgames

gamadgames

Hello guys!

I just created a timelapse about a game I created within 10 Hours!
    Hope you guys like it!

About the timelapse: I didn't have time to do it all in once, so I did it within a few days!

Before those days: 1-2 H research!

First day: 2 H
    Second day: 3 H
    Third day: 5 H

Post-production: 1 H

----------------------------------------

About Pirate Treasure: You need to destroy buildings to collect the chests! You got limited time, limited ammo, so let's see if I can finish those levels!

Story: You are a pirate who doesn't know where he is, who he is and what he need tho do, the only thing he know is that there is gold! And he want to collect it!

Start of the showcase: 05:05

15. DuneWalker

DuneWalker

My web app generates 3D framed pictures from images online or on your computer. You can download the models and textures to use in your game.

Link - Requires Unity Web Player.

16. fabel

fabel

So I wanted to learn basic multiplayer networking and came up with the idea for this little game on a day I kept having kids that needed to go to the bathroom as soon as we were someplace we didn't know where to find the. Thus Don't Soil Yourself was created. Waning if the game title isn't enough this is a game where you battle/race other players to get to the port-a-potty and relieve yourself for points before you soil yourself. This has been the current state of the game for about the past month as i haven't decided to keep working on it or not. It is definitely an Alpha but playable state, missing sounds bad animations, needs the controller tweaked/re written to feel a little better more powerups etc.

The game can be downloaded for PC and Android at http://www.dontsoilyourself.com and here is a video showing how it plays.

17. Zlashmine

Zlashmine

Hello fellow programmers!
    This is my game: Cube Dodger

I've been workign on this project for the past month or so.
    The goal of the game is to survive as long as possible while smashing the ever increasing number of enemies comming to make yor day miserable.
    You do so by grabbing Cubes and throw them at your puny enemies. But beware, they are doing the exact same thing back at you!
    At your disposal you have a Reflecting Shield and a Speed Dash to help you manouver around the arena.

But the very core of this game-experience is that your score is automaticly uploaded to a Leaderboard, that shows top players and their stats, for a somewhat competetive experience. (The leaderboard is reset every 5 days)

Download and try it: http://bloodyblocks.se
    • Fast Paced Action
    • Easy to learn
    • Hard to master.
    • Blood and misery!!

TehGame.png

18. stormtrooper0204

stormtrooper0204

I am looking for ideas for a game got any?

19. Martin_H

Martin_H

20. Liviu-Globa

Liviu-Globa

21. HolBol

HolBol

A little bit of progress.

22. salexazure

salexazure

Completely new here, first post. hope I'm in the right spot.
    I just wanted to show a small script I've been working on (TEXTURE ANIMATOR).

So what the script will allow you to do is to individual frames of textures to animate the texture of an object. The script has public variables to trigger animation, or step one frame at a time. A looping option, and an option to destroy the gameobject when the animation is finished.
    Another option is to set the total run time of the animation in seconds. So far I have added support for diffuse, normal, and emission maps (not exactly sure what emission map should look like, but hey).
    I've attached an image of the interface in the inspector window.
    The long description is available at my site here.
    I also have two videos on YouTube the original here
    And an updated video here

Attached Files:

23. Munchy2007

Munchy2007

YouTube video of my first attempt at arcade style vehicle physics. It shows different behaviour for 'grassy' and 'snowy' terrain.

Does anyone have any recommendations for assets to help in the creation of tracks and environment for an arcade 'off road' style of game?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
  24. x20X-Studios834

x20X-Studios834

I really enjoyed the game, I too owe a lot to brackeys tutorials. I noticed one thing though, sometimes (very rarely) the collision with an enemy wouldn't trigger the game over. None the less it is a brilliant and fun game, I'm very impressed you made this in 24 hours.

25. Lamprey

Lamprey

A computer controlled game consisting of two factions fighting each other.
    I like to call it Cruiser!

26. Dougomite

Dougomite

Hey folks, I've been working an idea I had to sort of game-ify a dating app. It uses an almost F2P style system to encourage behavior that most dating app users would like, including the ability to help out your friends for more in-app points. You gain points by interacting with other users through messages, having your profile liked, or other users paying to view your profile's details. I used Unity because I wanted to incorporate some cool visual effects to make the app standout from the fairly static UI of non-game apps but I couldn't come up with any effects that didn't look too busy.
    Check it out, you can login without needing to sign up. Let me know if you come up with any ideas for cool additions or advice.
    Android Alpha - https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.DougomiteStudios.HaveUMet
    iOS - waiting for Apple to nitpick.;)

unnamed.jpg unnamed-3.png 43_70c6e10d2fc41bbaf334251770d3007befafe018_o.jpg 29_05540c452c1d46604349309e076701f0f7012708_o.jpg 7_ecd1355dc3e7b54b8ede6b54078785f1b9a5861a_o.jpg

I've also been working on a Haunted House exploration game, the rooms and events in the house are randomly chosen as you explore the house, similar to the board games Betrayal at House on the Hill and Mansions of Madness. That one is still just getting started so I'll have to get some screenshots and maybe start a thread about it's progress.

27. AlexZimich

AlexZimich

I decided to learn programming. Here is what ive made so far

Everything you see is written by me. Its not great, but its a start
    Im hoping to get some feedback or ideas on what i should do next

marcos likes this.
  28. Dougomite

Dougomite

Nice, I like the lighting with the torch and everything. Kind of makes me think of something like 'Pitfall', maybe you could do some rope swings and ziplines in the level or a grappling hook. Collectibles around the levels could be nice for a simple player objective/scoring system.

29. AlexZimich

AlexZimich

Yea!

30. AlexZimich

AlexZimich

Made something simple

Trys10Studios likes this.
  31. ng93

ng93

I wrote some scripts to take a multi object animation or physics simulation from blender, and combine it into a single mesh, storing the animation data in a 2k texture that is then applied using a vertex shader. This way I can have destruction of walls with thousands of bricks and debris flying around, with practically no performance impact. The test below has ~1100 objects running at ~2000 fps.

(I also created my first animated GIF :D)

ExtraAmmo, PixelMind and Deleted User like this.
  32. Martin_H

Martin_H

Next time look for some settings related to "interlacing". You'll want "progressive" instead ^^.

Demo looks impressive, but I bet the approach has quite a lot of downsides. How are you going to handle the colliders for your collapsing walls?

33. ng93

ng93

Noted.

I'm planning to just have a before and after collider and switch between them. Not a perfect solution but should work well enough for my usage.

34. Trys10Studios

Trys10Studios

Just some 30 second Fraps vids I captured to show my overall basic idea. The game is controlled with the Tobii EyeX Controller, I know it's simple and I intended it that way as it was intended for eye gaze control only. It has some puzzle solving elements, traditional game hazards, no life system. It's sort of a linear style game, as in you progress from one level to the next, and there will be an end boss. The game is no where near complete, I guess I just wanted to see everyone's opinion. I always describe it as PacMan meets The Legend of Zelda (well the obstacles remind me of Zelda anyway lol). I need to add music to most of the levels, and some other sound effects that I'd like to implement as well as tidying up the textures, and finish up the animations for some of the enemies.

One note is that one of the "traps" in the Temple Maze requires that you collide with it and look at that hieroglyph in order for the trap to to open, adds a whole new dynamic imo to the game play, where you look actually matters in this game. Also the ball is controlled by looking at one of the four arrows. They change to green when you're looking at them, I felt this was important because I want to give positive visual feedback (since there is no textile element) that you're "pressing" that button.

The point is that really this game is intended for my son, he has spastic quadriplegic cerebral palsy and epilepsy so there are very few games he can play, and none of which he can play by himself. The accessibility game market is low, and I aim to change that. I want him to get lost in that experience of "another world" that gamers get; all the joy and frustration that comes with it. I do have plans for bigger and better games but I'd like to see where this takes me first. This game is challenging on it's own with the eye gaze controller only, and it also kind of gives a cool element of sorts.

Check out my channel, if you'd like to see my son playing Eye-Asteroids for the first time!

Critiques, ideas, suggestions, all welcome! I can only get better with critique.

35. PixelMind

PixelMind

Added a new gpu based damage model to my multiplayer spaceship building & battle game. Ships can also be sliced to chunks like in the video if they take enough damage.
    Visual damage can be shown anywhere on the ship. There's an universal position data atlas for all damageable models that is generated on the start. When ship is hit, I sample the position texture to generate an universal damage texture (molten steel, dirt etc.). Finally ships' custom shader reads the damage texture in a slightly modified standard shader.

jwinn, Tactical_Beard and Martin_H like this.
  36. Martin_H

Martin_H

Looks cool! How did you go about changing the standard shader? Can you recommend a tutorial or something along that lines?

PixelMind likes this.
  37. PixelMind

PixelMind

Thanks! The standard shader didn't chance all that much. Shaders needed to render the damage texture and position data on demand were quite a bit more complicated and also required custom rendering code on C# side.

The standard shader mostly just changes the metalness, roughness, albedo and emission channels using lerps and some effect multipliers. I'm not sure if there are any good tutorials available that would cover editing the standard shader. However basic edits like I did on the standard shader don't really require whole lot of knowledge to get started.
    Surface shader is good place to start testing while having cg functions cheat sheet open (http://http.developer.nvidia.com/CgTutorial/cg_tutorial_appendix_e.html). Lurking in the Unity forum's shaders section and reading what people are working on is also a great way to learn.

Tactical_Beard and Martin_H like this.
  38. Martin_H

Martin_H

Thanks a lot, that was very helpful! For some reason I totally forgot that we have a shader subforum because I mostly lurk in general/gamdesign and wip x]. I'll browse around and see what I can pickup. Some shader examples from other users surely will help.

PixelMind likes this.
  39. Trys10Studios

Trys10Studios

That's a cool concept :).

40. Trys10Studios

Trys10Studios

I love the idea lol. This is the beauty of indie development. This is repulsively amazing lol. How long did it to take to get this game to this state?

41. AlexZimich

AlexZimich

Im looking to either start a project or work on an existing one. Anyone have any ideas?

Ill post something in the collaborations section if we have one. But I wanted to ask here too.

42. MickM

MickM

Posted this in general as a question originally but figured it is different enough to be of interest here too.

Been toying with the idea to use a map (topographical or stylized) instead of the traditional blackness/greyed out terrain used in most games.
    I think it is a neat look and relatively simple to implement... Not for every game obviously but I think it could work well, especially more military oriented games.

This is just a small scale test, obviously the map would be a lot larger in real game use.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/74159983/PVZ/FogOfWarIdea/FogOfWarIdea.html

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/74159983/PVZ/FogOfWarIdea/FogOfWar Standalone.zip

43. HolBol

HolBol

Space pew-pewer progress: Enemy turrets.

Also new player model.Now to get moving enemies.

44. eDmitriy

eDmitriy

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  45. AlexZimich

AlexZimich

Made something new

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  46. AlexZimich

AlexZimich

One more for good measure

Thats all for tonight i think

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
  47. AlexZimich

AlexZimich

Breaking boxes! Fun times

Martin_H likes this.
  48. lazygunn

lazygunn

Heres an early wip of something ive been doing the last few weeks. I don't really intend to make a full game of it and its meant to be in VR but its a fun little project that ill try to finish in the next few weeks while i work on my next intended VR 'experience thing'

49. Martin_H

Martin_H

That's a shame. Rats vs Cats would be a kickass theme for a competitive asymmetric multiplayer "FPS".

50. AlexZimich

AlexZimich

Making a new game prototype

CrisisSystem likes this.