Search Unity

Games WIP Small Works Game / Programming Thread

Discussion in 'Projects In Progress' started by Tim-C, Aug 6, 2012.

1. nguyenvuidanang

nguyenvuidanang

The Monsters X monsters , in progress :p

AlexBM likes this.
  2. gapMindful

gapMindful

Here's some of what I've been playing around with recently. I'm hoping to eventually port the destructible voxel object stuff over to another project for the Oculus.

Much thanks to this tutorial for getting me started:
    http://alexstv.com/index.php/category/voxels

3. Altered

Altered

Looks rad, I love the cell shaded vibe!

gapMindful likes this.
  4. Hynopsis

Hynopsis

Now you just need to solve the floating blocks problem...I worked out something and could give you some tips if needed. Looks good!

Slaghton likes this.
  5. gapMindful

gapMindful

Wow, great demo video! Hilariously enough that's what I'm trying to tackle right now.

6. San_Holo

San_Holo

This is an early development video of a single developers first retro arcade shooter, done by me of course, I was testing weapons here, I wanted to post this video as I often come here and today I just managed to catch this thread, it's so hard for a single chap dev like me to find a hook to propel yourself forward into the unknown, as they say it's easy to start a project but very hard to finish one, but I'm excited about it all, I love Unity and all it can do and I'm just having a blast learning and experimenting.

7. shivansps

shivansps

Im working on a ship creator for my 2D strategy game.

Divinux likes this.
  8. puppeteer

puppeteer

Here's a new template I've been working on for the asset store:

Hope it gets accepted by next week.

9. Marnick

Marnick

I made a small minimalistic game prototype using only 'shadow' as gameplay element. The goal is to drag the light sources to the right spots, so all dots disappear. Let me know what you think of the idea, the looks, or the learning curve.

It is playable here: http://www.innovaat.eu/lab/shadows

Alec-Slayden likes this.
  10. Zlashmine

Zlashmine

ingamepng.png There will be blood...
    Me and a friend is currently working on a small 2D Topdown game, it's fast paced, easy to learn but hard to master.
    The are two simple elements to this game:
    1. Avoid Blocks shot at you.
    2. Shoot Blocks at bad guys.

For an extra bit of fun we created the Highscore-list on the website (on which you play) that keeps the gampleay at a somewhat laidback-competetive mode.

Try the game here:
    http://bloodyblocks.se/

Hope you enjoy.:)

Jamster likes this.
  11. Jamster

Jamster

Absolutely love it!

12. RiokuTheSlayer

RiokuTheSlayer

Divinux and Mothil like this.
  13. Stiffx

Stiffx

Nyt0x and Eths like this.
  14. Deleted User

Deleted User

So, I'm working on a game called 'Apocalypse Full of Idiots'. It's a small project, more info coming soon!

15. Jalkku

Jalkku

superme2012 likes this.
  16. bryankek

bryankek

Just a screenshot of something I'm currently working on. Anyone interested in working with me on this project? Desperately need an artist :/

Attached Files:

17. Gobla

Gobla

A bit of neural network experiments in Unity:
    http://peculiardeveloper.com/u3d/NeuroTest/

- The rods/fish have 5 inputs: energy, position of the rod (x,y), position of the nearest pellet (x,y).
    - There are 3 outputs: DirectionX, DirectionY, Scale.
    - If the rods/fish run out of energy they die. Moving costs energy (faster = more energy). Eating a pellet gives energy and a point (score).
    - In between is a black box neural network.with 20 neurons that make the decisions of input to output.
    - Each simulation takes 2000 frames
    - The 6 rods with the highest score will be bred (2 parents each) and a mutation to their neural DNA is made.
    - The color of the rods/fish is based on the neural DNA.

Using Fast Mode will disable in between rendering and just simulate on the CPU and just output the results. Hitting Fast Mode again brings back the normal rendering.

So to be clear: no logic code is programmed based on the input to output by myself. The "Decisions" of how the fish/rod responds is based on the input and the neural network.

The outcome can be different every time you run this. Expect some "consisted behavior" when the average score is about above 30.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
    ogike and Nyt0x like this.
  18. Murgilod

Murgilod

Working on a game with Valkyria Chronicles inspired combat. Just finally implemented a rough version of character switching.

19. Kaktusz

Kaktusz

I'm working on my first proper project - Tonks. It's not very good, but It's the first project I am working on for mroe than a few days. The graphics are horrible, I can't draw nice stuff. The code is innefficient I'm pretty sure. But I'd like to know if it's a decent enough first project :)
    Video #1:

Video #2:

Video #3:

superme2012 likes this.
  20. Cottage_Pi

Cottage_Pi

I'm working on a way to allow people access to view 3D scans of archaeological artefacts as a side project, a "virtual museum". It's all based on the Unity Webplayer. Feel free to take a look and make suggestions.

Link:

http://www.palaeopi.org.uk/Museum.php

Some shots of an earlier build:

Divinux likes this.
  21. carking1996

carking1996

I will post these here.. realtime mesh deformation and damage, all on iPhone. :) Game to be released for iOS and Android soon!

Divinux and Alec-Slayden like this.
  22. Steven-1

Steven-1

Question: What's the rule about 'bumping' a thread?
    It's just cause I put a lot of work in making a game demo and making a thread about, but I got 0 replies, and it disappeared to the next page quickly.

I'm talking about this btw:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/en...tle-an-arcadey-fps-with-playable-demo.323392/

So I don't even know if people just don't like it, or it doesn't work, or simply no one has tried it.

I would really just like any feedback on it.

Divinux and dqhendricks like this.
  23. mgear

mgear

antislash and Cottage_Pi like this.
  24. neginfinity

neginfinity

I made simple sword fighting game test yesterday, if anyone is interested.

That's done in one day from scratch. The only external asset used is prototyping package.

Models and horrible animations are also mine (created in blender 3d). They weren't made during the same day, though - meshes were created during last week for some other idea I had in mind, and animations were mostly done during sunday.

I also keep tinkering with non-polygonal voxel renderer shader (minecraft-style), not sure if I'll ever finish it
    I got the idea after reading voxel tutorial thread where user suggested converting voxels to polygons.

Assuming that shader compiler doesn't choke on complexity at one point, It is possible to add lighting, bump/parallax mapping to it and some advanced features (like true self-reflection/self-refraction) that aren't possible with usual polygonal models...

It is just that it isn't THAT interesting for me

25. Cottage_Pi

Cottage_Pi

26. Hynopsis

Hynopsis

Been working on some volumetric water for my survival game, once I add some transparent shaders and smooth the surface it should be okayish...

27. Brainswitch

Brainswitch

A new death animation for our side project (As Things Fall, roguelike (co-op multiplayer) platformer beat-em-up with destructible environment) :

Inspired by the classic death animations :)

28. dqhendricks

dqhendricks

cool! looks inspired by that kirby wiiu game. rainbow curse i think it's called. looks very fun!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  29. dqhendricks

dqhendricks

The character Kara has always had this owl friend that follows her around. I made Kara a playable character for a few of the levels recently. She moves similarly to the main character, but instead of throwing axes, she has some very powerful double sword melee attacks. I had to give her a secondary action as well since you can't access your normal inventory during these Kara levels. I thought it would make sense to go ahead and make the owl her second action. An attack owl basically.

So the owl follows you around using a smooth damp, and rotates depending on direction, but when you hit the action button, it will swoop attack a position that is X units ahead of wherever Kara is. I had to give the owl the ability to fly through walls though, otherwise it wrecks the feel of it. I'll explain the physics impossibility with some sort of narrative mention that the owl is magic and can travel through other dimensions or something I guess xD

30. knr_

knr_

In working on our own ideas, my colleagues and I have thought about packaging up some of the work we have done (without anything specific to the projects). One of the things we are thinking about bringing to the Asset Store is our Log Manager.

As most of you know Debug.Log(...) can be extremely useful but can also tank the frame rate if you use it a lot per frame. To get around this we created our own, much more efficient (when it comes to performance) logging solution.

Here are some graphics showing the difference in performance. There are two MonoBehaviours that are writing a log entry (each with 6 name/value pairs) every frame.

No Logging:

Debug.Log (writes to Console):

LogManager (writes to File and Console):

Please note the ms being consumed and the FPS. It does fluctuate a bit when VSync is off obviously but No Logging and Log Manager performance is virtually the same (basically, we don't want to imply from the screen shots that using Log Manager has higher performance than No Logging but we do want to show that they are virtually the same).

It has been a big help to us in developing our Unity projects to not have to worry about frame rate drops when wanting to debug stuff through the console window or write the debug information to files that would be reviewed after a project is run.

We would love to know if there is an interest from the community for this to be put on the Asset Store (a free version which includes the DLL and a sample project along with a paid version that includes the source so it can be extended as necessary for a team's specific needs). Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

EDIT: Added cropped photos to provide a close up of the performance.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
    Alec-Slayden and Venryx like this.
  31. antislash

antislash

32. SlaxXx

SlaxXx

Whats up! Im quite new to Unity and i wanted to share my first project with you guys :p
    The game itself was made to get used to unity and learn a few things about physics and networking.
    But after i got the singleplayer working i realised, the game is actually quite fun xD
    (2 Player is ok, but 4 player is really fun ^^
    it's a local multiplayer right now so you need at least 2 controllers... and a keyboard of course xD)

Im talking about VolleyBallz, kind of a remake of an old game called blobby volley ^^

I guess the game itself is pretty much selfexplanatory :p
    You can download the game over here (Mediafire, 34mb)
    Controls are explained as good as i can in the readme file ^^

I'd like to hear what you think about it and maybe what i can do better :p
    (And if you have an idea about how i could do the multiplayer that would be great xD using PUN right now)

Divinux likes this.
  33. Venryx

Venryx

Yes, that would be very useful as an asset/plugin/extension. It actually causes significant slowdown when debugging an issue, to not have a freely-usable logging system available. Having one with almost no slowdown would let me log whatever data could be relevant, rather than having to filter it specifically so that it doesn't overdo the logging limits.

34. Dan-TM

Dan-TM

Hi everyone,

Our team has made this simple game and we would like to know what do you think would make this game better? Everyone says that it's fun, great and all that, but it's still missing something. Maybe power-ups?

You can try it on your android phone https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.GG.amper
    ...or watch video:

Don't hold back on that critique.

Kellyrayj likes this.
  35. administrator_it

administrator_it

I wouldn't use it either, but I'm sure somebody will need it.

36. Venryx

Venryx

I suppose, it's too linear. Having alternative paths or something would make each course more interested. Granted, it might be difficult to make a way for the player to choose which path while they already concentrating just on timing. Just an idea, though, for if you can think of a way to integrate it well. (note that my idea of how the game works is solely from the video; I may be misunderstanding how it works)

37. 1Piotrek1

1Piotrek1

38. ettmetal

ettmetal

Hey guys, I've been thinking about sharing a tool I created for one of my projects through the asset store. Not the most fun or exciting but it's been pretty handy for me so far.

It's for importing the data in a .csv (comma separated value) file so that it can be used within your game. Currently there is a script which reads an assigned TextAsset on Awake and attempts to convert the data to a grid (2D arrray) of the selected type. This is then available to other code via the script, which implements a simple public get interface. It currently supports all number types and support for all integral types is planned. I wondered if I could get any feedback on the idea or any other features which you feel might be useful for such a tool.

39. Yanneyanen

Yanneyanen

Here are a couple of animated gifs of my game, And So It Was. I've been working on this for about 4 years now, and it's finally quite close to being finished. I'm currently running an Indiegogo campaign for the game to help cover the final few months of development. There is also a public alpha demo available, so be sure to stop by if you like what you see :)

Alec-Slayden likes this.
  40. Alec-Slayden

Alec-Slayden

Hi guys, figured I'd post in here since there's not quite enough content for a full thread yet.
    I'm working on a casual strategy game, like a medieval 4x version of "minesweeper". I've got the hex system in place and I'm hoping to get stable mechanics and rudimentary AI in time for the Humble Bundle indie challenge august 7th deadline. I'm not expecting to make it in time, but no harm in throwing myself into it between client works.

I'm aiming for a casual game that can take minutes or days to complete depending on map size preference. Right now I've got a max hex map size of 100000, which should in theory take a while to complete, though we'll see how things go once the mechanics are in place.

Here's a couple screenshots showing the treatment and scaling

I can't get the mountains right for the life of me.
    Hopefully I'll have time to get momentum going and make a new thread for it. Thanks in advance for any feedback :D

Farelle, Divinux and Slaghton like this.
  41. Syntaxflow

Syntaxflow

I am making a modular building script that I hope to put on the asset store. This script will have an optional and customizable built in menu, allow keycode assignments, support an unlimited number of models, and many other features needed for a fortress building system capable of seamless integration into any survival type game.

See below for an example of what can be accomplished:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
  42. IndieAner3d

IndieAner3d

WoW °-°
    that looks very good and easy to use...
    not so fiddly... ^^
    Very interesting to see it in the AssetStore... ^__^

P.s. You could put also a green grid on the floor,
    so the player can see where he/she can build all over... ^^

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  43. Slaghton

Slaghton

I wish all these modular building assets came out earlier xD. Mines about as far as yours but not as polished. Need to work on the GUI elements soon.

44. Alec-Slayden

Alec-Slayden

That's looking great. I'm looking forward to its release.
    It would be great if buildings could be made without the requirement of a placed platform, but it will still be a valuable asset.

45. Syntaxflow

Syntaxflow

The script will not necessarily require a foundation, you will be able to specify which objects support other objects. There will be a lot of settings allowing developers to tweak the building system to fit their needs!

46. Syntaxflow

Syntaxflow

Here is an example of the advanced GUI elements that will be available for use with the building system, or as a standalone system:

47. Cyrus777

Cyrus777

Hey guys,
    I wanted to show you my first Unity project ever. I've been working with Unity for two weeks now, so don't expect anything big, but I already like it :)

Well my first project is something very simple and basic, an arcade-style Table Kicker Game for two players:
    https://db.tt/mThvBMaW

Controls:
    Player 1: W,A,S,D for movement and rotation
    Player 2: Arrow Keys for movement and rotation
    'B' for respawning the ball when it left the field or is unreachable at a random side (north or south) with a random angle
    'R' for restarting the game

The ball respawns automatically after entering the goal. The game finishes when one player has 5 goals.

Almost all the features I wanted to implement for the first version are already finished, but I have tons of more ideas for the following releases :) Just the 3D-Scoreboard for counting the goals is missing, and maybe some textures. But right now I'm struggling a bit with the controls of the players. Maybe a 360° degree axis for rotating the players is not the best.. I'm thinking about to limit the axis for 90° each side.

So any feedback is welcome!

Here are some screenshots:

48. Alec-Slayden

Alec-Slayden

This is a very great demo for your first 2 weeks of work. Exceptional. I assume you have both programming and 3D experience already?

One thing I would recommend is switching the "A" and "D" control. It's strange having them direct the ball in the opposite direction than the key.

49. Cyrus777

Cyrus777

Thanks Alec! Yes, I have some practice in programming and some basic understanding of it. And I also like 3D-modelling, but at work I do that with CAD-software for designing factories and machines.
    The video tutorials and the documentation are also great for getting strarted. I watched the 'roll a ball' and the 'space shooter' tutorial and kinda combined the things I've learned there. And honestly it's also lot's of trial and error :)

Yeah I'm not happy with the controls yet, still have to think about a good concept on how to make a fast and fun gameplay possible. Right now the controls are oriented on a real table kicker. E.g. when you want to make a playe spin to the right, you have rotate the handle bar to the left, and spinning to the right, vice-versa. So that's the reason for the opposite assignment of the axis. Does that make sense? :D

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
  50. le_duke

le_duke

Hi guys,

I wanted to share with you a video of my paragliding simulator project :

It's with this project that I have learned unity dev and maybe a big part of what I know in development in general.
    It's still in an early stage but I think its time to start to show some footage of it :D
    I hope you'll enjoy it, i'll try to post some news about it here on the forum.

Feel free to give your feedback and ask any questions !