Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Games WIP Small Works Game / Programming Thread

Discussion in 'Projects In Progress' started by Tim-C, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Dennis_eA

Dennis_eA

μMoto WX Sport nearly finished.
    WIP of game - 2nd pic (with old placeholder car) newCarWip1.png ssat1.jpg

bsj and spaceduck_corp like this.
  2. bart_the_13th

bart_the_13th

3. paintbox1

paintbox1

@sotos1024: Looks cool. Is it really lagless or is the lag just very small? Manipulating terraindata always produces lags in my game. On PC they are small, but on android its about 1-2 secs.

4. Suppy

Suppy

5. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

6. imPrgrmr

imPrgrmr

Hello, I use a queue and coroutines to update the terrain, trees, splat maps and details every time the player moves to the next terrain patch. So if the player moves slow enough (depending on the size of the terrain patch and resolution) you can distribute the CPU load into many frames.

Some small lag appears when I update the terrain (including trees) collider when the player moves to the next patch.

paintbox1 likes this.
  7. SkyYurt

SkyYurt

Boss fight:

8. Blue Bean Apps

Blue Bean Apps

In my opinion, it could use some more light. I understand that it's an underground setting and that you can't get much sunlight, but it would be nice to see more than just shadows and a grey blob. ;) Just saying that I can't see much detail (at least not from this angle). With that said, from what I can see, it looks great, especially the lava... gotta' love the lava! :)

carking1996 and GarBenjamin like this.
  9. paintbox1

paintbox1

Thanks for your response!
    I knew about coroutines but seeing them working in your video really motivated me to refactor my code.
    Now I have no more lags on PC and on my android phone the fps just drops a bit for a certain amount of time.

Made my day :)

10. the_Bad_Brad

the_Bad_Brad

A small intro level I am currently working on for my main game. This long abandoned expressway walk will be used to display opening credits just like in movies.

11. imPrgrmr

imPrgrmr

Hi, that's good.
    Here is a small update in case you or any one else is interested:

12. mew_fi

mew_fi

So I made this:

Just an interactiveCloth object with the mesh put into a sphere. Had to import a sphere that a buddy made that is symmetric, since the default Unity sphere has the north/south poles more tightly packed with triangles(?) so that the tension isn't even.

It was really easy and works really well, but I got a couple of issues.

1. I can't get a camera to stick to the cloth, because the transform position of the cloth doesn't move with it. It starts from the world coordinates but then the physical part of it starts to move, but the coordinates stay behind.

2. Related to 1., I would rather move the blob with addTorque, instead of the interactiveCloth.externalAcceleration. But I'm not sure how to attach it to something that I can spin.

If anyone has any tips or questions fire away.

spaceduck_corp likes this.
  13. Dennis_eA

Dennis_eA

Dunno about 2 (and nothing about interactiveCloth in unity to be honest), but my suggestion for 1 would be:

take all (or some) positions of the mesh vertices, and then you can fallow that (average) position.
    you could also check if the mesh bounds are updated when moving.. hope it helps

14. mew_fi

mew_fi

Ah yes, I got it to work with renderer.bounds.center. Thanks.

Now I'm wondering if there's a way to apply torque to an interactiveCloth object. Maybe if I attach something to the vertices and apply torque to them?

15. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

Placeholder motion tracking device :) functional, though.

Gistix likes this.
  16. Yanneyanen

Yanneyanen

I took part in the 7 Day FPS game jam (7dfps.com) last week and made this:

It's an old school inspired shooter with 2 weapons, 3 levels and 15 hidden bananas. It's free (like all the jam games) and can be downloaded from http://yanneyanen.itch.io/esc-ape :)

softwizz, GarBenjamin and Mister-D like this.
  17. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Nice work for 7 days!

Yanneyanen likes this.
  18. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Looks like you packed a good amount of game play into it and it looks very well implemented. Of course, the C64 couldn't actually do it this good. Interestingly, a Doom clone was actually made for the C64 about 7 years ago. M.O.O.D. (there's some videos on YouTube). Still you did a great job on it. Looks fun!

Yanneyanen likes this.
  19. TruumProfessionals

TruumProfessionals

KongScreenShot1.png
    KongScreenShot2.png

You have a cannon and get to shoot merchandise off of a pallet. AWSD keys move, 'B' buys more cannon balls ($2000 for 5 as of this writing), and 'N' starts a new game. 'Tab' for full screen mode.

You can play it here:

http://www.kongregate.com/games/Kirandio/cannon-bowling

20. LuGus-Studios

LuGus-Studios

Almost done with Pinball Planet! :D

21. redpanda

redpanda

That's really nice!

Yanneyanen likes this.
  22. Watapax

Watapax

This looks very cool and fun, Congrats.

23. Watapax

Watapax

Hello, i have been working on a rhythm game for a while, and i want to share what i have right now . I really will appreciate feedback and criticism.

In the screenshot are the controls. It can be a little difficult at the beginning but when you practice a while you will score perfect, just follow the beats. I have a problem with the synchronization but is a work in progress.

RULES: hit the enemies with their respective color.

webplayer: http://www.tipografico.cl/pelea2/

Gameplay video:

Screenshot: party punch.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
    BullyBoss likes this.
  24. Vetpetmon

Vetpetmon

Omg, seriously, why the WTF face?

25. eelstork

eelstork

Hey guys.

Here's a small project: Afterlife the gist of it: release game content almost on a daily basis, using the platform gaming setup I am developing for our main project:

b490008a749635b27cc1d595a2f552df.jpg
    b82172fa1047bb13721bdad02c355380.jpg

You can play the game on wooglie and support the project on patreon.

Please try both links - especially if you find the game a little fun or interesting. Although it's rather unclear whether it can support this kind of project, Patreon is a fairly new crowd-funding platform where "patrons" can give a little to projects but unlike Kickstarter and Indiegogo where devs get a one off donation for something-not-done-yet, Patrons rewards devs for every small release (so after it's done).

This totally fitted with my direction as I wanted to do something serial for a long, long time.
    Of course a lot of preparation has gone into this. Even so the first levels are quite simple as I was quickly setting up a minimal menu and basic save points etc...
    I find it really refreshing to re-think game production in this way, even if it's definitely not possible to achieve the same results we can with a "6 months 3 dudes" budget.

Even if you can't spare a nickel I totally encourage anybody interested in this game/approach to give feedback, follow, like, spread the word and, importantly, give suggestions for the coming releases!

As to the game, it is named Afterlife and should alternate simple but challenging action with experience driven scenes.

After 2-3 weeks I'll be doing a milestone and maybe try to push a mobile version.

26. Windexglow2

Windexglow2

RTS I'm working on. Idea with it is you create generals, and than tell them how many units they control. You tell generals where to go, and basic areas of where to defend and they handle the rest. Units are represented by single color pixels. Battles would be these giant blobs of units running into each other.

But what I have so far is a procedurally generated island by seed, and pathfinding I made. Some kind of awful A* and poor decisions, but hey I made pathfinding.
    Need a way (and optimal path) for a unit to pathfind across an island, which can be 1000 nodes wide. So I made a smaller path map.

At low resolution, the island has some poor navigation. The game would never take place at this scale.
    http://i.imgur.com/arfOhaB.jpg

At a higher resolution, the island works a lot better.
    http://i.imgur.com/etzP2Uq.jpg

Same scale. Each square/pixel is where a unit could be. Game would take place at 2x detail.
    http://i.imgur.com/VmFoeIU.jpg

27. imPrgrmr

imPrgrmr

Hello,

In case anyone is interested I have uploaded project files and short tutorial of the following project
    (info on the video)

BullyBoss and BGIndustries like this.
  28. puppeteer

puppeteer

Working on a simple board game template:

Still need to account for the (annoying) rules, what happens if two or more players get to the finish line at the same time, how many players are displayed in the winners list, etc.

29. Blue Bean Apps

Blue Bean Apps

This is an announcement to anyone who is interested in my current WiP, Swimmy...

Swimmy has made a lot of progress this month, so check it out!

30. HoboMechanistic

HoboMechanistic

Hello :)

Me and 3 friends took part in the LD game jam last weekend and we made a basic co-op platformer game :D It's still missing some assets/levels because I ran out of time and couldn't import them. And there are a few bugs. Again due to time constraints. But check it out! :D

Link to entry page for those interested in playing it :)

31. CrossGuard-Games

CrossGuard-Games

Hey everyone, very excited to share what I have been working on for that last few weeks. I have been working hard to try to complete it soon as possible.
    Hippo Catch.png
    It's just a simple clone of "Catch the falling blank from the sky", but I hoped to put my own artistic look into the game, and my next project will be more original. This will be my first game completed in Unity, (not my first one started though ;P) and I hope to upload it to Kongregate once it's done. Constructive criticism is HIGHLY accepted, I would love to hear of what you like and don't like.

Here is a link to the web player!
    (There is only one level in this demo, pressing next level once you beat it just loads the current scene)
    hope you like it :D
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13183582/HippoCatcher/HippoCatcher.html

32. Blue Bean Apps

Blue Bean Apps

It sort of reminds me of... well, several board games. :p

Anyways, if you're open to feedback, I have some...

Make it more clear as to the route the players take. I guess you zigzag horizontally, but when the green player rolled the four near the end, I thought he was going to ride the slide to the last few tiles there, but he didn't ride the slide. I'm not sure if it's just because you haven't set the slide up to do anything yet or if you aren't meant to ride it from there, but this is an example of how it can be sort of hard to see where you are supposed to go.

I felt bad for green though... poor guy is so slow. :p

puppeteer likes this.
  33. Blue Bean Apps

Blue Bean Apps

That looks really good! I can actually see some major game developing companies, like Nintendo, using something like this.

I see a lot of potential with seamless terrain. For example, in Nintendo's The Legend of Zelda series, there are a lot of glitches that can happen with seams. For that reason, this could be used as a means of debugging. Plus, it also helps speed things up, like loading, which is always nice. :)

34. puppeteer

puppeteer

Thanks for the feedback!

It's actually something I'm struggling with now. At some point I added numbers to the tiles which can help make the path clearer, but my main problem is that the UI always shows on top of the 3D die model as well as some of the sprites, so it's a bit messy.

Now I'm moving to 4.6 to see how the new UI might work out.

35. Blue Bean Apps

Blue Bean Apps

@puppeteer I can honestly say that the new UI in 4.6 is great! I am using it in my current game Swimmy. The new UI is very helpful in both making things quicker and easier. Especially if you're new to UI like I am, the new UI's simplicity is much more suitable.

As for your screenshot... 4.6's UI would help with layering the UI objects, which would allow you to get the text to be more visible over the 3D objects... in theory. ;) Simply changing the color of the text to give it enough contrast from that and the background elements would probably do the trick, but some layering magic would also help.

I'm sure you will like the new UI.

By the way, I just noticed in your screenshot that on the die, the lower right hand dot has a glitch with the pixels. Just letting you know. :)

36. puppeteer

puppeteer

That's actually one of the numbers on the tiles. It's the problem I'm referring to, and I think it will persist even with 4.6. The UI will just always show over 3D models. Hope I'm wrong though.

BTW, good luck with your Swimmy project, looking good!

37. Blue Bean Apps

Blue Bean Apps

Thanks! I hope you well with your project too. :)

38. psk-psk6

psk-psk6

Hi guys as part of learning unity I created the following games, Please provide your feedback, I also tried FB Integration but its not working for android it is working in Editor,

Snakes and Eagles : Classic Recreation of Snake & ladders but with a twist, one gets a new board each time one plays i.e. new position of snakes and new position of eagles(ladders) with some animation
    Snakes and Eagles Play Store

Chain Reaction + : Using the new UI I created Colour Selection Sliders and a combo box with minimalist design
    Chain Reaction + Play Store

Shades + : Resolution independent game, without the UI in gameplay parts and FB integration failed in this one
    but a nice game I feel
    Shades + Play Store

Please review the games if possible

39. inko

inko

Whooo finally holidays!

Been working on a little DoomBuilder like level editor for unity today. Comming along :)

BGIndustries likes this.
  40. abyssahx

abyssahx

My first Unity game !
    A match-3 game with different gravity on each part of game.

You can try it here : http://abyssahx.free.fr/match3/

All comments will be usefull ^^
    Thanks...

Match3_01.png Match3_02.png

41. BGIndustries

BGIndustries

I recently started using Unity3D and have only started to experience it's potential. I have made a few small things that test the system's functionality. The first thing that I made that came anywhere close to a game is called Pack Life, where instead of playing as a human, you live in the mind of a wolf. So far so good. Fully built and textured terrain, dynamic (changing) skybox using a slider to adjust time, several crappy trees (no colliders yet :/), full character moveability (walking, sidestepping, jumping, sprinting!), light attached to camera (because maybe wolfs can see in the dark, and how could you see at night anyway?). If anyone has any suggestions or wants to help please feel free to. I would really appreciate it! Soon I will make a webplayer demo if it gets a good reputation. - BG Industries

ONE.png TWO.png

UPDATE: Merry Christmas everyone! Today I have completed a small hunting cabin located east of the player's start point. Also did some texture changes and updates to the mountains. :)

THREE.png

UPDATE!: Hello everyone, today I will be moving the dev. process of this game to a seperate forum. If you are interested, feel free to reply at: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/wolf-simulator-adventure-survival-wip.287617/

Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
  42. Freaking-Pingo

Freaking-Pingo

Hi all uniteers, I thought I would like to share some work I had done which could properly help some of you out there. In my spare time, I have made a script that identifies triangles which lies inside other meshes and removes them from the model.

In a project of mine, we experienced that our level designer placed models inside each other in order to create a varying environment. As a product of that, many triangles were not even visible but are still processed by the GPU (Based on what I know, but I could be wrong). I saw this as an opportunity to save some performance.

Before pruning - 722 triangles, 596 vertices

After pruning - 612 triangles, 538 vertices

Script
    The script is still a work in progress, and I am planning on making it a free tool for others to use. One of the major concerns is currently performance. The script is very heavy and takes a lot of time to process. Instead of using this script runtime, one could possibly use this to remove triangles from within the editor, so no processing has to be done during runtime.

The script is simple to use. Drop it on a GameObject somewhere in your scene. Upon scene start, press "P".
    Script can be downloaded from here

BGIndustries likes this.
  43. inko

inko

Little update. Got a whole bunch of new editing tools done today.

Freaking-Pingo likes this.
  44. thomasmahler

thomasmahler

Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
  45. Survivorman198

Survivorman198

Screenshot (11).png Screenshot (14).png Screenshot (13).png Screenshot (12).png

It has been coming along good.
    Hope it turns out.

46. inko

inko

Happy new year to all the unity people out there. Let's make 2015 awesome!

Might be my last update before work starts again. The basic level editing tools are in place and the import and export pipline is pretty fast. If I have the time I'll try to polish it up and post a link here at some point. No promises though.

47. morphex

morphex

Currently messing with water running and water physics :D

blackbird likes this.
  48. Jim_West

Jim_West

Zelda style boomerang for a small action RPG im working on (just playing around with atm)

49. SirGravy

SirGravy

G'day folks,

Here's an alpha-ish version of my first unity project. It's a 3D action game that focuses on herding mechanics.

Gameplay demo:

Unity Webplayer version:
    http://tinyurl.com/ReptilianRoundup

Any feedback/criticism is very welcome :)

GarBenjamin likes this.
  50. TheBlackBox

TheBlackBox

Hey there!

My team has recently finished the prototype to our project, "Super Combat Arena!"

Super Combat Arena! Is an arena-based horde survival game where you must survive against endless waves of enemies. Soon we have plans to add Co-Op and PvP, this is already in the works!

Right now, we only have 1 playable character, and 2 basic (working) enemies! This will change as the game progresses of course.

You can try the game out here - http://frozen-vortex-games.itch.io/super-combat-arena-prototype