Search Unity

Games WIP Small Works Game / Programming Thread

Discussion in 'Projects In Progress' started by Tim-C, Aug 6, 2012.

1. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

I have a question, in this image, how easily can you tell the corresponding layers to the players? (The little bean like guys) I think its easy for the first two but then the last ones it is harder? Its important that users can see what layer they are on, or at least in the later levels it will be.

$LayerTest.png

2. puppeteer

puppeteer

Decided to try out the new sprite based graphics in Unity4.3. Before this, I would slice quads and animate them in 3DS max and then import as FBX. Using the built-in animation saved me tons of work time, and it allowed me to make much better animations IMO that are closely integrated with the code. Awesome-sauce! :D

Anyway, here's a video testing performance for the game after some code tweaks and the sprite system:

[video=youtube;TYUOW2l_Dsw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYUOW2l_Dsw&feature=youtu.be

It gets CRAZY after 2:00 :D

Note: I'm not using a pool manager. I'm sure it would perform much better with a good one.

3. Rafael-Barbosa

Rafael-Barbosa

Took me about 5 or 6 seconds to identify the landscape's layer, the bean guys, were more dificult to spot.

4. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Ok, thanks for the info :D

5. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Yea its kinda subtle. You have to be careful to think about how the player will `use` your game... usability is important... making things clear and obvious and not ambiguous, using graphical shapes/colors etc to communicate information and give visual hints, etc.

6. krillin1986

krillin1986

7. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

It's a bit subtle, if you are using this as depth. It'll probably just take play testing to see if this is a mechanic that will work, and where that fine line is...

Puppeteer: Glad you are liking the 2D framework. Any feedback is good feedback! Can you tell me what you like and what you hate? Always curious!

Have you considered a free drop box account? It's a very easy way to pass files and saves people like me the headache of looking at a download site full of ads wondering where to go next!

I'd be happy to look at your game if you either attach it here on the forum, or make an easy link to something like a dropbox account!

(^_^)

8. krillin1986

krillin1986

Sorry, I didn't know there was a way to attach files by uploading them to the forums themselves! Thanks for the info!

Here is a dropbox link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/67617495/Shipment2.1.rar

The controls are as follows

ASDW - Move
    Mouse - Looks around
    Left Mouse - Shoots
    Right Mouse - AimDownSights
    Space Bar - Jumps
    Left Shift - Run
    R - Reload
    Z - Hold Down for 1 second when over the Ammo Crate to pick it up

Debugging Controls

E - Adds an additional enemy (on respawns up to 7 automatically on the map, but, u can spawn as many as you want with E)
    V - Makes the enemies re-assess their current target

There are a few times where the enemies seem to get stuck on eachother, still trying to figure this out.

Puppeteer, I watched your video, that is awesome! Godo job dude!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  9. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

(^_^)! Thanks!

(T_T) I'm on a Mac, tho...

10. NomadKing

NomadKing

It could be a little confusing, specially to new players. You could try to think of a way of highlighting the Players own layer for them, despite what place in the overall depth it (Player1 has Layer 1 highlighted, Player 2 has layer 2, etc). I would have said desaturating the other players layers would be obvious choice, but you already have quite a pale palette, so I'm not sure that would really work.

11. krillin1986

krillin1986

LOL... it's all good.... hehe. here are a few screens.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vy5oiiyvl4k98v1/Screenshot 2013-12-11 14.38.34.png
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/rrmk6d7oalnwlx3/Screenshot 2013-12-11 14.38.53.png
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/588db0bt8ysosw4/Screenshot 2013-12-11 14.39.11.png

Link is again: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/67617495/Shipment2.1.rar for anyone interested!

Thanks!

BTW, as you can see from the screens, it's the Shipment level from Call of Duty Modern Warfare (stil the best of all the CoDs in my opinion!)

12. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

I'm not sure how I could implement it seeing as everyone plays on the same screen?

13. NomadKing

NomadKing

Ah, I misunderstood the concept - I thought it was a more 'typical' multi player thing ;)

14. OussamaB

OussamaB

Finished working on the level manager of my first Android game!

15. diddykonga

diddykonga

Would have to be a different art style, but you could make the different players different colors, such as blue, red, green, yellow and have there layer tinted with said colors.

16. Myhijim

Myhijim

17. Serg-ros

Serg-ros

thanks Myhijim I try) almost all that is there I sell

18. landon912

landon912

A civilization 5 like terrain generator plugin I'm working on, 100% done through code(mesh, texture atlasing, generation, world wrapping, etc). Open for feedback and to gauge the demand of something like this(PM preferably as I don't think this is the point of this thread; but it's too early to open a WIP IMO)

Please take into account that this project is only 2 weeks old(very early WIP :p) and the textures are all placeholder.

$Screenshot (25).jpg $Screenshot (26).jpg

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  19. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

The boiler house has, in many ways, a good feel to it. It is, however, a bit... cacophonous. It's hard to tell where one structure ends and another begins. This is partly due to white paint flaking off of red (rust, bricks, etc.) so much of it looks the same:

There's lots of fine detail that all ends up blending/mashing together. Perhaps the pebbles on the floor, with such mid-size shapes and high detail, also pull at the eye as much as the complex walls...

The audio is great! The feeling is cautionary and eery. The helicopter intimidating.

Some of the small rooms had very good focus:

Now, the "Locator in the Forest" had a fantastic sense of space, location and SCALE! I'd love to see that with an Oculus Rift on my head.

Great work!

20. HolBol

HolBol

You may want to increase the contrast a little on that scene. It's a little hard to see.

21. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Still working on my mouse-recording animation path tool. My computer's graphics card died a week ago so I had to get it replaced and haven't been able to work on this properly, but am trying to finish this off now. I've been cleaning up the custom inspector a bit and I still have documentation/examples to do, but it shouldn't be long now.

$MP.png

22. dnk72

dnk72

Hi.
    Here comes my first demos

23. chrisall76

chrisall76

24. Guts

Guts

I've been working on an editor tool to help speed up the level creation and item placement workflow for a game I'm in the early stages of making. The game makes use of some of the great Manufactura K4 kits, so this tool has proven quite useful.

Current feature list:
    • Asset preview thumbnails
    • Animated particle system previews (shuriken)
    • Quick prefab instantiation - just click in the scene.
    • Snap settings when placing objects, including snap to object size.
    • Multitude of options for the preview thumbnails and scene gizmos

Video of some of the current features:

[video=youtube_share;jaT9hdWaCuU]http://youtu.be/jaT9hdWaCuU

25. Windexglow2

Windexglow2

Slowly doing more work when I'm not flying. Got lighting done well enough I can ignore it for now. Without pro, I can't use pixel light shadows.
    Originally I thought something like what I got would be super easy, than got bummed out when every idea I came up with did not work. Than when I was making dinner it struck me how to do it.

So I used cookie maps with pixel lights. I hoped the cookie map could change the color of the light, but it's only alpha that's used. I could sneak in a projector overlay using the same cookie image, but it's less important to me.
    $cYDhicc.jpg $jvtQx4S.jpg

(Difference is filtering only)

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  26. David F

David F

Hey everyone!

I'm fairly new to unity forums but I wanted to share a 2.5D project that I was creating and experimenting with for a few weeks that is a rebuild of a project that I had originally created in XNA 4.0. The basis to the project was to create a truly 3D looking scene out of only 2D sprites by using a depth map of every asset to depth test and thus position the asset pixels accordingly, which in turn is also used for other cool effects like clouds, lighting, fog, etc.

cheers!

$0.jpg
    $1.jpg
    $3.jpg
    $4.jpg

[video=youtube_share;4z56DbwMpTo]http://youtu.be/4z56DbwMpTo

27. softwizz

softwizz

Been slowly working on this over the past 6 weeks and thought I might as well start the dev blog:

BLOG

Developing this for Android hence the arrows in the screen corners.

You will have to guide Moses in his quest to free the Israelites from the Pharaohs slavery.

So far I have been concentrating on getting the player controls working and implementing things like ladders, hazards and pickups.

Next on the agenda is to get moses some weapons and an inventory to hold them.

This is done with the new built in 2D system.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  28. Kellyrayj

Kellyrayj

29. Blacklight

Blacklight

Random Dungeon Generator!
    $randomDungeon01.png
    $randomDungeon02.png

It's pretty basic, essentially just pulling objects out of a list of available objects and attaching them to available points until its reached the maximum amount, but it's fast and, for the most part, it works.
    I spent hours the other day agonizing over an issue where the objects would overlap, but it has somehow resolved itself (I hope).

30. softwizz

softwizz

They seem better than mine. :|

looking good so far.

Interesting... So you create room, corridor etc prefabs and put them in an array or something then it just randomly connects them together.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  31. Blacklight

Blacklight

Currently, it begins with a single starter room with four possible build points and a specified amount of features to add (in this case, about 20-30). It'll pick a random feature (straight corridor, large room, left turn corridor) and place it randomly in one of the available build points (after checking if it is clear, of course) then keep going until the specified amount has been met. Afterwards it plugs all the empty build points with either a small room or a wall.

Another way you could do it is instead of having just a random number of features is, like you said, to have a list of features to use (2x long corridor, 8x short corridor, 5x room, etc) and keep adding features until the list is empty. I believe that is how Teleglitch does it.

Next step is to make sure the building ontop of other rooms bug is actually fixed, then to decide what to actually do with it.

32. carking1996

carking1996

33. IzzySoft

IzzySoft

hia ll,

im a super n00b thats learning anew about Unity and all that it can do.

I'm wanted to create my own 3D buttons close to what is offered by GUI Skins/ GUI Styles... but I didnt see an option to specify the GUI drawing target to be a Texture2D.. right now GUI drawing just defaults to the Screen.

In that vain i wanted to go one step further and visually show the user the texture arrangement and the 9 Slicing that will be performed. I did some research and started learning about the Editor Window. This is what followed:

[video=youtube_share;-nqUgoaf1zw]http://youtu.be/-nqUgoaf1zw

and then this, a few days later:

[video=youtube_share;wQ-bt66f3M4]http://youtu.be/wQ-bt66f3M4

Comments, suggestion, tips, etc.. are of help.

Thank you all. Its much appreciated.

34. Windexglow2

Windexglow2

So I got bored and started making a game where you act as a military commander in a battle : you tell squads of men from a top down isometric map where to go. They than handle movement by themselves in a semi-realistic fashion. Well I'm not there yet, but it'll be cool.

One of the goals with this project is I want a F***ton of units moving around. Pathfinding is easy : Squad moves as a group, so there's only 1 long pathfind chain. Individual units than move very short distances (10 meters max) along this path, but more often.
    But a problem I had was when units started shooting at each other : I have guns, so each time a gun fires it should make a sound right?

It sounded awful, most sounds don't play, some do, some sound weird. It was a mess. So (and I'm sure there's a name for this) I downloaded a soundclip of wind. I hooked it up so each time a unit fires, it increases the volume of this single looping wind. Each frame it's volume goes down. It takes a split second to go from full volume to mute.

The end result sounds pretty F***ing good for how cheap and easy it was to add. I can have hundreds of guns going off at very little cost. The only downside is directional and volume needed to be programmed, instead of using default values/curves.

35. dexsauce

dexsauce

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  36. lorenalexm

lorenalexm

After having spent a bit of time in Unity this morning, attempting to pass some time before having to return to work tonight, I managed to create small prototype of a stealth-esque game in just a few hours. Watch the video below, or head on over to my blog to read a bit about my experience in creating it.

Blog : http://lorenalexm.com/
    Post permalink : http://lorenalexm.com/prototyping/

37. softwizz

softwizz

dexsauce, annoying but fun I liked it.

lorenalexm That looks good, how did you do the guards field of view?

38. Kellyrayj

Kellyrayj

39. lorenalexm

lorenalexm

softwizz: Thank you, it is something that I am working hard on to actually reach a release point. As for the FOV, it is currently being done with a series of raycasts and the mesh builder. I adopted it from a BlitzBasic snippet that I collected years ago, though in its current state it is far from optimized and processor hungry.

40. dnk72

dnk72

Here my last "drone vs drones" demos
    1. in game dynamic map
    [video=youtube_share;jtRpJABAito]http://youtu.be/jtRpJABAito

2. random map/level generation
    [video=youtube_share;COz8MgUO7Xc]http://youtu.be/COz8MgUO7Xc

3. weapons and esplosions demo:
    [video=youtube_share;wE1LnwiGqow]http://youtu.be/wE1LnwiGqow

4. game play , enemy AI, homing Missiles, radar demo
    [video=youtube_share;bJEFtq3nrE8]http://youtu.be/bJEFtq3nrE8

Let me know any criticism and/or suggestions.

41. Anonanimal

Anonanimal

Video of an AI cover using script I'm working on:

I'm hoping once I add animations I can make the "flank watching" less jerky and more natural. It's for a tactical shooter (like SWAT), so I'm trying to make the AI much more panicked than a game with military AI.

42. JasdeepDCG

JasdeepDCG

This is air combat game i am working on. It's a personal project i made in the past month. The aircraft models are not mine.
    'Im planning to make a 'Team death match' and 'CTF' game mode next.
    [video=youtube_share;7a9U5n3k85U]http://youtu.be/7a9U5n3k85U

suggestions, critics?

43. tyrion

tyrion

Here's a little something I cooked up while trying to test FPS parkour using mecanim. It's a rough draft and my first trial with mecanim and blender animations. Feel free to give suggestions on how to improve it.

44. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

I finally finished my mouse-movement recording, editing and playback system. Submitted it to the asset store last night :) NOW AVAILABLE!

Mouse movements are recorded in the scene view and can then be edited in various ways including quickly turning ugly recordings into beautiful paths. Then an automatic (or manual) system can play back the recording with a GameObject or Sprite following the path. Recording an organic, human-influenced mouse `performance` can produce pretty interesting and complex paths in seconds, far faster and more intuitively than tweaking tonnes of spline objects.

$ScenePreview.jpg

I used it to build a simple but fun little 1-level shootemup game, which is included as a demo scene, using recorded paths for enemy movement and also the player's shots.

$ScenePreview2.jpg

Normally there are 5 lives rather than 5000 ;) Not that I was cheating or anything.

Now available on the asset store!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  45. softwizz

softwizz

A small game I am working on when I feel like it.

So far the soldiers just have a simple wander AI script attached to them. They carry a gun that has a raycast to detect other soldiers and shoot.

The character with white text is the medic and has a vision cone that will make the medic react in different ways to whatever enters its vision. At the moment the medic will just seek out the nearest medpack (red cubes) when its health drops below 50.

Not much there so far but I will be adding more AI to the medic and soldiers, create another type of soldier and make the 2 sides fight each other instead of randomly wandering and shooting anything.

46. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

47. IzzySoft

IzzySoft

hi all,

I wanted to create my own 3D buttons close to what is offered by GUI Skins/ GUI Styles... but I didn't see an option to specify the GUI drawing target to be a Texture2D.. right now GUI drawing just defaults to the Screen.

In that vain i wanted to go one step further and visually show the user the texture arrangement and the 9 Slicing that will be performed. I did some research and started learning about the Editor Window. This is my progress to date:

[video=youtube_share;nMMpKb2JLH0]http://youtu.be/nMMpKb2JLH0

Comments Suggestions are welcome.

Thanks all,
    Izzy.

48. xlash

xlash

Nice! There is definitely a lack of sneak/stealth games ^^
    That's the reason, why i also work on one ;)

Cheers!

49. IzzySoft

IzzySoft

Quick Update for my Editor Extension (still WIP):

[video=youtube_share;T-YU5CNvXLQ]http://youtu.be/T-YU5CNvXLQ

50. McDev02

McDev02

I always wanted to try to create waves on an Ocean shader which move towards the shore from any direction. After watching some Earth/planet engine videos on youtube I got an idea of how an easy implementation could be possible.
    Here is what I came up 15 minutes later: