Search Unity

Games WIP Small Works Game / Programming Thread

Discussion in 'Projects In Progress' started by Tim-C, Aug 6, 2012.

1. puppeteer

puppeteer

@Misanthropic2013: It was just accepted to the store, I'm selling it for 40$. I'll be adding to it regularly. The link's in my signature.

2. carking1996

carking1996

3. RealityStudio

RealityStudio

Hi, im not very active in the comunity. but i want to share my work :)

first: Diamont of truth - canceled for the moment and planned to be re-made-

and this is my current work in prosses :)
    -War of imperion

(you can enter my channel to see more ;)) any critics are wellcome!

4. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hey folks! Hope this is the right thread to post this...seems about right. ;)

Newbie coder here, fiddling around with a procedural flower generator for a social breeding / sharing flower game I have in mind.

Feel free to take it for a spin, and would love any comments (specifically around shader advice!).

$fcv4.jpg

http://www.beeboobeep.com/flowercraft/

5. AlexZimich

AlexZimich

6. GibTreaty

GibTreaty

I'm making a sandbox game where you run over zombies with lawn mowers. First test turned out great. Later on I'll need more lawn mowers, which I can make myself, and a city, which I may end up getting something on the Asset Store for that or use ProBuilder.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  7. carking1996

carking1996

Lighting completely redone.

8. Kellyrayj

Kellyrayj

9. GibTreaty

GibTreaty

Along with my Zombie Sandbox game I'm working on this.

10. create3dgames

create3dgames

Good start, but when I right-click on the webplayer, I get a little menu instead of shield.
    Also I think it would be nice if I didn't have to use the mouse at all.

11. create3dgames

create3dgames

12. TehWut

TehWut

Randomly Generated Terrain

Ditched my old script completely, worked on a new system. Appears very stable, generates a plane with a grid-system (my old one was somewhat "progressive", creating verts and tris simalteanously, really messy) it uses standard mesh class and simply adjust vertices. It's not complex or overly impressive, but it took quite a bit of work on my part and it should do for my goals. Pride+1

It generates a plane and moves the vertices
    $osDmFs2.jpg

Throwing some random vertices heights.
    $UMtuRp7.jpg

I plan on improving this system. Add an ability to generate mountain ranges, etc. I've never done anything like that, but I'm going to select a few random points as "peaks". From these points I can just do some linear math and adjust the surrounding vertices accordingly.

13. Kellyrayj

Kellyrayj

Good call on the right clicking. I will change that. Thank you.

14. OussamaB

OussamaB

Working on a new game and just created a script that will create a dynamic level based on some conditions I set of course. Like the terrain's width, length, type of objects (obstacles, boxes, enemies, etc...), number these objects and some other options. I just click on play and everything is created immediately:

15. puppeteer

puppeteer

That is awesome. It cuts on design process time and can potentially allow for more levels than would be possible to make by hand. A question: Did you take into consideration to prevent any obstacles that can potentially get the game stuck? ie: Not have an obstacle in a place that is impossible to move, thus preventing us from finishing the level.

16. GibTreaty

GibTreaty

[video=youtube;EfH2WqO6Ick]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfH2WqO6Ick&feature=youtu.be

Second video of my tower defense game.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  17. khkcontact

khkcontact

Admirable! Amazing! "little asset I am working on"... Does it mean that it will be possible to buy it in Unity Assets for reasonable price? When?

18. goolin

goolin

$brick.png
    Hi all,

In the last month I've started to learn some unity3d, after some testing on the various aspects of the engine, I finally got some ideas to put together.

The project it's absolutely not something new, but so I can do some experience without losing time and "reinvent the wheel".

So far the game implements:
    • Paddle movement
    • Ball physics
    • Brick grid auto generation
    • Brick resistance randomly generated

The brick grid is a 12*10 grid, and every level it's generated by a method; The number of brick generated depends on the level reached.

TODO:
    • Power up
    • More sounds
    • ?

The current work can be previewed here: http://psoftware.ch/bricks/

Feedbacks are welcome :)

goolin

19. bcjordan

bcjordan

@Goolin that looks really cool! Love the effects included.

And love the scribbly work in progress style for the pause screen :cool:

$Screen Shot 2013-10-08 at 3.43.40 PM.png

20. goolin

goolin

Thank you for the feedback @bcjordan :)

I have now included 3 different power ups:
    - Speed up
    - spawn ball
    - scale paddle

Demo updated: http://psoftware.ch/bricks/

$bricks2.png

21. Rafael-Barbosa

Rafael-Barbosa

I Have been testing out Unity's networking, and I am pretty happy with the results! Here is what I got by making my RTS game multiplayer!

22. bcjordan

bcjordan

@goolin super neat! Also still loving the FX!

Edit: something that might be nice would be a way to visually illustrate the relationship between paddle speed and ball force. Like spin marks or a sound effect with a pitch shift based on direction or something (or an arrow that points like the vector of direction/speed)

23. bcjordan

bcjordan

Cool stuff Rafael!

24. mcunha98

mcunha98

@Rafael
    Parabéns / Congratulations !

25. BigDaz

BigDaz

A video of my project. It's a simulation of a remote controlled bomb disposal robot. :cool:

26. mcunha98

mcunha98

Little bat for my tower defense game:

And the bat in game:

GarBenjamin likes this.
  27. TehWut

TehWut

Random terrain progress update!

Got UVs and basic texturing working, I can tile a texture across it as much as I need, as seen in the image below.

I've been experimenting with different ways to make mountain ranges. I've had some crazier results than others, but this one took me by surprise. It appeared to have created some sort of star shape. You can slide down the insides, just thought it was pretty funny (actually, I think it's doing the exact opposite of what I want it to do, hence the corners instead of slopes.

$zHzvpzm.jpg

28. welby

welby

this is awesome.

All those sliders should be put into some realistic remote Box or something. Oh,...and it would be hot to also,..or Only, have your view be from the Robot's Cam perspective,.like in reality. make it all video and fuzzy hehehe,..

have some staticy voice over guy yelling,..'Cut the Green wire!!! No wait,..RED!" lol

cheers

29. BigDaz

BigDaz

That's the plan. Well I plan 2 modes really, normal with a 3rd person view and then a more hardcore mode where you only have the view from the different cameras. Cheers.

30. carking1996

carking1996

Weather, etc.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
    Rodolfo-Rubens likes this.
  31. galent

galent

Hey all,

So I'm remaking my first mobile game to re-release, as a free game for Android (initially). What are your thoughts?

(quick video of current Alpha):

Cheers

32. XGundam05

XGundam05

WOOT! After several evenings of coding (and some hair-pulling until I located a rather dumb error), I got my Voxel-to-Object converter using Greedy Meshing working. It's a command line tool, so there's not much to show, but I'm so pleased with myself that I need to show something. In this case, input and output (and it also produces a UV map).
    Input:
    $input.PNG
    Output:
    $ouptut.PNG

33. r-dotfunky

r-dotfunky

Hi all,

I wanted to share 2 little Editor Windows I've been working on to make my terrain workflow a bit faster and get some feedback on them.

Turn Your Trees Around - Drag a tree model onto the editor window and set a # of copies to made at random X,Y and Z rotations or set your rotations manually. The original tree mesh is copied and the vertices modified for each instance required, creating new trees. If you choose a terrain, the script will also add the newly created trees (including the source) to the terrain - ready to be painted.

Terrain Tree Randomizer - I had an instance while playing around where I had painted a bunch of trees onto a terrain before I wrote Turn Your Trees Around and I wanted to randomize the trees I had already painted on the terrain without alot of work (I was happy with placement and size randomization - just not the bland look of the same rotation on every tree). This Editor Window looks at the information associated to the selected terrain and based on which tree you choose to replace will randomize (based on which trees you select to randomize it with) the trees that exist on the terrain. Testing included 20,000+ trees on a terrain it did not fail. In theory, you could paint your entire terrain with 1 tree and paint all your trees in just the right places and then run this script to make them look more interesting.

Go from trees that look like this (This is the Unity Palm)

$before.png

To this: (Unity Palm + 4 randomly rotated copies of said palm)

$after.png

Using the 2 editor windows, the whole process took less than 3 minutes.

34. Grillstern

Grillstern

About 2 weeks ago I startet private learning on Unity, etc. and started a little project just for learning purposes. A 2D JumpNRun Shooter like "Super Metroid"...

35. Rodolfo-Rubens

Rodolfo-Rubens

36. The-Ant-Ranch

The-Ant-Ranch

My current evening project:

This uses a "start from the center and build out" algorithm, so all of the rooms are guaranteed to connect.

I showed it to my friend, who's an amateur Egyptology buff said it looked surprisingly like some of the tombs in the Valley of the Kings... so it can't be all that bad.

It's currently only making rooms to get the base system down.

I have a switch where I select a random room type based on weight and then the system uses a "recipe" or prefab to build that room type. Currently the system is weighted to only return "RoomType.Room" and that recipe is very very simple: x * y, where x and y are a random value from min to max. I'll experiment with corridors next.

The framework can allow for prefabs or recipes of rooms and can generate rooms anywhere in the volume.

I'm not building on a "grid" like many traditional rogue-like systems. This means I can make a "room" (I need a better title) that has a change in floor height - say a sloping hallway or staircase or any volume: pits come to mind! - and then the level could continue from any point of the "room" on a new height. I pick my random attachment point based on tagged wall tiles, so the recipe should only build possible entry/exit points as is tagged from the recipe.

The system is checking physical volume, not grid-space, when testing room placement - so there could be "rooms" either above or below another if there is space for it.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  37. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

This thread's been very quiet for over 2 weeks. What you all working on?

38. hadidx

hadidx

Well I have been working on car and glass shaders for unity free .I already posted a thread showing my progress . Hope this counts.

39. The-Ant-Ranch

The-Ant-Ranch

40. OussamaB

OussamaB

I have been working since few days on a new game, here's a screen shot:

41. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

42. XGundam05

XGundam05

BSP Dungeon Generation. I don't have the corridor painters implemented yet, but I just finished re-working my old BSP generator to be modular (can plug-in different room painters, corridor painters and post-processors). After this gets hashed out, I'll be using the generated 2d dungeon to build out a 3d one.

4 different dungeon room layouts using the same parameters and just the random-size, rectangular room painter:

43. Josh707

Josh707

Not sure if this counts, but I'm replicating Amnesia's mechanics to practice my programming skills, here's a video of what I've made as of a week ago:

I'm using the actual assets because hey, they're all supported by Unity, which is partly why I decided to practice with this

44. Windexglow2

Windexglow2

It's neat to see other people working on procedural building interiors. Here's mine, with the goal of using it in a fallout3-shelter inspired game where the shelter tries to repulse your people as you take over rooms. I'm not sure what enemies will be - swarm like monsters, but not zombies. Debug enemy I have is a ghost that flies through walls, looks kind of neat.

$Unity 2013-11-29 18-43-16-62.jpg

Each room has a list of various properties on how it generates, even what side it can start from it's parent room (say you want it only starting on the left side).

I did something like this 2 years ago : probably took me 4 months to do what I just did in a week. Next goal is to get basic people and control, than enemies working again. I want to shoot this into a playable zero-fun prototype asap.

45. lazygunn

lazygunn

46. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

I've recently been working on creating a `mouse recording` animation tool. It lets me record the mouse movements in the scene view to represent animation paths for object. It's much quicker at creating sophisticated object movements than fiddling with bezier curves. You can do various things to tweak the path after it's recorded including smoothing, changing the duration, additively blending it with another path (i.e. additive animation), appending other paths, etc and also includes a live preview. I'm using it to build a shootemup game - all of the movement paths for aliens, the movement paths for bullets, power ups, etc all are moved using these recordings. I like it because it gives an organic/natural kind of human touch which would be quite hard to replicate with a generic scripted system. You can have things speed up/slow down, hover, create synchronized formations from related objects (ala Galaga) etc. Playback is very fast too since there is barely any logic needed. I'm also adding extra features as I find the need for them. The tool itself will be heading to the asset store soon, I've got just a few more features to add and then to do some documentation/examples.

$Screen Shot 2013-12-01 at 10.46.54 PM.jpg

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  47. lazygunn

lazygunn

Thats actually really neat, ill look into that. Also i swear i remember you from the edge forums but that might be a different imaginary human

edit: actually i saw mention earlier of a wacom driver for unity? if you could have your tool do something meaningful with pen pressure (maybe weights to drive some parameter or other) then id consider that a definite buy, incredibly useful, if it can follow the sides of colliders and such, even better

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  48. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

? I was not on the edge forums, must be someone else. The pen pressure/drawing idea is interesting... I don't own one myself, I'd want to actually own one in order to implement something like that. Recording the mouse is kind of a `performance` on the part of the person drawing the path, so you'd have to be able to draw the path shape you want, plus manage timing speeding up/slowing down, plus deal with pressure changes, all at the time of recording, which could be a bit of a challenge? What do you mean by following the sides of colliders?

49. lazygunn

lazygunn

Well a pen and tablet is certainly relevant if you want accurate movements recorded because im far better with that than a mouse for such things - Typical tablet behaviour is that if your pen is slightly above the drawing surface but not touching, it acts like a mouse pointer as you move it around. When its in contact and moving its like moving a mouse around with the left mouse button held down. Taps are single clicks etc. Drawing with pressure comes naturally to anyone used to painting with them as its one of the main aspects to using one to control brush size or opacity Id advise ANYONE to get a graphics tablet, theyre very useful not just for drawing traditonaly but also editing masks or control curves in a curve editor or even drawing in velocity/other controller values in a music program.

My old expensive one just broke so i bought a very basic wacom intuos pen for 50 quid and it still works great, so they arent too costly.

My collider commet was based on how you might project these recordings - mouse movement is on a 2D plane so im assuming you just project the movement onto a camera-aligned 2D plane, but i was wondering if you could, for example, project it into a scene and register a 'contact' a configurable distance from anything you can make a raycast against. Meaning if you were say, drawing over a terrain in unity, the curve would follow the surface of the terrain so you could draw paths around it easily. But this could apply to any 3d model, for movement paths or application of any realtime efffects, particle effects (esp displacement fields massive numbers of gpu particles) even macros for something like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmEawPCAtEQ

You've got a potentially very powerful idea there!

50. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Thanks for the info and ideas. I can see how it would be useful mapped onto some 3D geometry... i.e. in X-Z instead of just X-Y, with heights adjusted to match what's beneath. The tablet sounds interesting for drawing, I'll look into it more.