Search Unity

Games WIP Small Works Game / Programming Thread

Discussion in 'Projects In Progress' started by Tim-C, Aug 6, 2012.

1. create3dgames

create3dgames

Yep!

Also; New update - icons for the buttons!

2. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

An early work-in-progress on my shootemup... takes place in a horizontal wrap-around environment, high-paced action and lots of enemies. Inspired by Defender and Datastorm (Amiga) It's running on my tv via Ouya/android. It's 2-player. The input, scanner, controls, scrolling and shots are all working. The controls are inertia-based and the player also bounces a bit off top and bottom edges - I still have to tweak the settings a bit to get the right feel and speed etc. The images are kind of placeholders because I'm still deciding which way to go on the art style. There aren't currently any enemies or things to pick up, but once I settle on an art direction I'll be adding lots of fun stuff. I'm kind of working on it on and off because I realize it's probably going to take some months of work so I'm doing other small projects in-between.

$Shooter.jpg

It also just occurred to me this is probably the very first image of an actual real working game that I've ever posted on these forums ;)

Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
  3. AlexZimich

AlexZimich

We just finished health bars and a few other things, they will be in the next video

4. PeterJK

PeterJK

Not sure if this is a 'small work' - took quite a while to implement! - but it is a small part of my game project. A prototype custom rendering pipeline, featuring realtime dynamic global illumination. A little demo video is here:

Lots still to do but really pleased this kind of stuff is possible in Unity.

5. Elehe

Elehe

@ PeterJK looks awesome no obvious artifacts or flickering. What resolution did you use for the demo? And can you give some references?

6. chippy-cheese

chippy-cheese

I build a tech demo of a game in about a week tell me what you think.

7. PeterJK

PeterJK

Thanks!

It's based on Dachsbacher's Reflective Shadow Maps. The buffer resolution in the video is not super high - 640x480. The RSM resolution is 512x512.

Unfortunately there are some temporal artifacts in that video, but they can be alleviated at the cost of performance, with more VPLs.

8. Elehe

Elehe

So your using imperfect shadowmaps for visibility information?

I am very interested in this but didnt get this far so far due to lack of time because of school. And because i have to teach myself i appreciate all those persons like you that shows their work to the community. So a big thanks for that to everybody.

9. PeterJK

PeterJK

No visibility checks for indirect lighting.

It's definitely something I'd like to do though, and ISMs seem to be de rigeur on that front right now. I'm focussing on importance sampling for the vpls right now, then ISMs as another level of quality on top would be nice.

Good luck :) It took me a while to figure out but it's doable. I may at some point be able to release something, perhaps on the asset store.

10. Dothackking

Dothackking

Here is a screenshot from an early development point in my project (currently untitled). It even contains a very glaring bug, and some obvious gui design flaws that will be fixed soon!:

I also have a blog documenting the progress at least every few days at: http://agameprogrammingblog.wordpress.com/ (I assume this is allowed?)

I would LOVE to hear some feedback, or answer some questions about the game, although I do not want to give out too much information for fear of some of my mechanics/ideas being stolen. You can provide the feedback/ask questions here, in my profile, or on the blog, and I'll gladly get back to you!

11. e-vinyl

e-vinyl

Hey, this is my first post lol.
    Anyways I'm here to showcase not one, but two WIP games. It all started four days ago when my team decided to split and make a one-week unity-only game jam.

The first game based on QWOP and it relies on controlling a sort of bipedal weird mech: Project Poultron

The second game is a 2.5D platform in which you control a boomerang tossing bunny. The game's mechanic relies essentially in the player character's boomerang: Project Slinkarang/Boomerang

Additionally, we also have dev blogs with daily builds in their posts:

http://slinkarang.titanforgedgames.com/
    http://crushysblog.titanforgedgames.com/

12. Rxanadu

Rxanadu

Hello, everyone!
    This is my first post here, and I'm looking for feedback for a game I was recently working on. It's a game where the player is locked to one of five different lanes and has to avoid obstacles by dodging left and right.

$line-rider_gameplay.png

Here's a link to the game: Line Rider

13. AlexZimich

AlexZimich

14. athlonnerz

athlonnerz

Hello, I am newbie for unity3d, and for the game programming.
    In fact, now i wanna make a project for my college task. I wanna make a game that include kinect as the controller of the character in the game.
    The game concept is a running competition, with the running and jumping command using kinect sensor. I just need a small straight running arena and some crowded people as spectator.

The question is, where i must start from now? what i needed? for the kinect plugin, i already download zigfu, but i hear there's more plugin for kinect like open NI, right?
    But still, where i must start it?
    Can you help me too, to find some article/tutorial that already posted on internet? but according to the steps I must do from scratch

anyway i plan to work with Blender, because i use old macs.

15. hannes-dev

hannes-dev

16. TehWut

TehWut

I'm working on a Sprite editor

Color picker works fine

Setting the pixels is a bit frustruating, I'm sure it's something with the UV's I'm overlooking.

update: Got it working perfectly now. It used to have wonky locations, turns out it had to do with string splitting (I'm using a sketchy homebrew method mind you) but it's pretty solid.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  17. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Point filtering?

18. ljdp

ljdp

$msaVR2s.png

Started a prototype of an RTS game. The theme of the game is viruses and programs within a computer network, the aim of the game is to destroy the other player's Master Program (the prism shape). Each program has a different functions.

- Master Program moves the slowest but has the special ability to create 'WiFi points', programs can instantaneously move between these points.
    - Firewall Program (cylinder) converts any port it travels through into your port so that only your team can travel through it.
    - Delete Program (cross) deletes any port it travels through.
    - Overwrite Program (cube) can move onto a tile that is already occupied.

Each program also has a primary ability you can activate with the button in the upper left.

You can play it here: http://www.locogame.co.uk/unity/Link/LinkWeb.html

19. DukeGrimm

DukeGrimm

I'm currently working on Item Management system , For the moment I am calling it "Item Mage".
    I'm attempting to designing it to be generic and hopefully an easy to use Item Management Solution.

I'm managing items through GameObjects and prefabs.
    All Items have a Base Item Component, which represents the data for storing and managing the item. The inventory will be a gameobject on the player. When the player picks something up the object's active features are disabled, the object is moved onto the player's current position and made a child of the inventory object.

A script on the inventory object manages a GameObject List, this list is the source of what items have been added to the inventory. I've written up some primitive scripts for testing removing and adding items to this inventory item and it seems to be working well.

I'm planning to make it so that every part of the player that would hold an item will function similar to the inventory object. So if you move an item from your inventory, then the game object is removed from the inventory object, is moved to the equip point(lets say the hand) and turned on.

Features I'm hoping to add, Default Custom GUI interface for player inventory.
    -Editor Window for Easily generating new Item Prefabs
    -Custom In game GUI that can be altered.
    -Toggle between List type(Skyrim), Multi-SlotItems(Diablo), SingleSloItems(Minecraft)
    -All items will be configurable to be stack-able, a toggle for Unique can be used to prevent customized items from being stacked with default version.

Current example of the Prefab Generating Window:
    $ItemMage_Generator.jpg

20. Sycohazza

Sycohazza

Hi guys, for 3 days now ive been working on an editor script that allows a user to easily create a GUI menu, it compiles the script for you.

Heres a video, its rather long but it shows how to use it.
    Im using the Necromancer GUI Skin from the Unity Asset store by Jason Wentzel.

It is a work in progress and the before / after is not fully working yet.

A feature i forgot to show is that it also creates a saved file when you create the script so if you close unity and a later date come back and want all the settings you had for back you can load them in from the saved file.

My next update will have more elements incuded (eg. Labels, Toggle, Sliders, etc).

Hope you guys like it and would be interested in using it.

21. TehWut

TehWut

$o7tn0N7.jpg

More progress on the sprite editor. Added painting instead of single clicks, improved color picker, the hue slider (well, it just changes the apparent "brightness" of the color by moving down vertically in the color picker), PNG transparency, and write-to-file. It's a very simple project, and the techniques would make the more experienced scoff, but I'm pretty proud of what I have so far!

22. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hey,

recently started on a maze game called Maze Mayhem. I'm not that far into the game but I'd thought I'd post just for people to give feedback.

$picture.png

The aim of this game is collect as many points possible (represented as giant money) and finish the level. There is only 1 level + a tutorial level so it is a SUPERRRRR WIP at the moment although other things are getting in the way of generating new maze's.

I'm having trouble with a few bits of coding but nothing to worry about.

I'm not sure where to upload a test of this game so please let me know where. Thanks.

23. TehWut

TehWut

I think this is almost ready to move to it's own WIP thread, but this is the first time in my game dev career where I'm actually making good progress, so I'm excited to share now!

$JZW4MGc.jpg

What is this? This is a seperate scene that loads the PNG file. When written, there is also a file written for the enemy class containing XML data. This can be used for a bunch of stuff, but mainly this data will be used so that you can create a sprite for the enemy as well as it's stats, and this data can easily be manipulated and loaded to create the monsters at runtime, good for flexibility and memory. I've also got the basics of the battle system working, (taking the XML data as well)

24. coingod

coingod

A simple test on my Terrain with Europe generated.

At first this was intended for Android and PC, obviously what you here would kill an Android with the amount of trees it has, but I tested a map half the size of this one and got steady 30 fps in my Galaxy S Advance.
    The game will be a Civilization like game, with things from Hears of Iron, Age of Empires and Sim City. More focused on Nation management than conquest,

25. create3dgames

create3dgames

Neat! How did you generate that map? It looks hand made.

26. coingod

coingod

From a heightmap. It's looks a bit flat because I smoothed it a bit, since I was getting a very noisy effect.
    The terrain paint and trees are generated by a script.

The game will most likely feature a terrain generator similar to Sim City, which basically works as a heightmap generator.

27. iKonrad

iKonrad

Game made for a Uni project. I was dealing mainly with the design part.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MBH1xlA5TyE

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
    GarBenjamin likes this.
  28. ANtY

ANtY

Hello, I'm new to this community and so I'd like to present you my project.

Glorious: Companions is a turn-based multi-player strategy set in the conflict-torn world of Navaroth.
    You take command over troops belonging to one of the nine different factions. Each has its own engaging story, varied types of units, specific tactics, and unique equipment awaiting for your loyal warriors.
    Customize your units’ skills as they level up to discover infinite roads to victory in the game’s complex strategy system.

Glorious: Companions features a competitive system of online gaming in which you will be able to prove the effectiveness of your strategy and dominate other players on the battlefield climbing your way to the top of the ladder.
    And whenever you feel tired of human enemies, you can always enjoy instant single player quests where you can explore dark forests and dungeons of Navaroth.

It looks likes this:

I've recently posted a longer blog post on the game's gameplay so if you're interested in learning more, dig in :)

You can follow our game's development on Faceebok, or just subscribe to our website (there's a box on the right side) but updates are not so often there.

Cheers :)

//can't create a new thread so I'm posting here

29. mcunha98

mcunha98

30. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

I'm playing with dynamic 2d shadows again. Was surprised to see Unity will batch thousands of shadow volume objects, generated from moving game objects, into a single draw call...

$Screen Shot 2013-08-12 at 11.09.25 PM.jpg

Shown is 1000 animated objects.. just triangles for now but they can be any 2d mesh.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  31. Divinux

Divinux

This guy here made me think about how I would make a slightly more realistic controller that works by creating lift and applying forces to a rigidbody. I hoped this would result in an unstable realistic behavior that would require constant input to keep the helicopter in the air. So a few hours and a quick and dirty helicopter model later I came up with this:

Link to webplayer
    Lower your volume, I noticed the webplayer producing a loud sound on start up.

It is indeed quite unstable :I Works relatively fine though, the only thing I am unhappy with is how quickly it changes directions, it goes from max speed to zero and back in a blink of an eye. I feel like that shouldn't be the case but have no real idea how to change it. Oh well.

Since this exists there is really no reason to use mine, but in case somebody needs an incredibly basic point to start with, I shall attach the only script needed.

View attachment $Helicopter.js

32. mcunha98

mcunha98

Killing enemies :D

33. thomasmahler

thomasmahler

Made a little Zelda engine recently in my spare time. Still lots of bugs and unsupported features, but was fun to make it:

Requires an Xbox360 Controller:

http://www.warsoup.com/zelda.html

34. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Trés trés cool. I don't have any controllers hooked up right now, so I can't play it, but the idle looked and sounded great.

How about a K&M fallback in the Input Manager?

35. thomasmahler

thomasmahler

Updated the build! Now K&M is also supported.

http://www.warsoup.com/zelda.html

Controls:

ArrowKeys: Move
    X: Sword
    C: Shield (doesn't do anything yet)
    D: DebugTool (you can teleport yourself around)
    F: Fast Forward

Also added a standalone at http://www.warsoup.com/zeldaUnity.zip in case performance of the webBuild sucks (runs at 50fps here whereas the standalone runs at 900fps).

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  36. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Even more trés cool when moving around. Couldn't get into any of the houses, or read the sign, but it was a fun experience.

Well done.

37. Sehlor

Sehlor

38. mcunha98

mcunha98

Improving HUD and logic of waves

39. citizen_rafiq

citizen_rafiq

40. FWCorey

FWCorey

Having some fun creating voxel sprites in Minecraft and importing to Unity. Using for several concurrent projects.

$Schematic file in Unity Test.jpg

41. lancer

lancer

How do you import them into unity?

42. FWCorey

FWCorey

I read them from .schematic files. Currently I can read all solid blocks, slabs and coloured wool/ dyed Clay. I haven't done a renderer that stiches a mesh with hidden faces culled yet or created any meshes for non-block items. I'm just using a spawn pool of primitives. It was all I needed at the moment.

43. lancer

lancer

How do you read the schematic files? Do you have an plugin to import them?

44. Marrrk

Marrrk

45. FWCorey

FWCorey

I'm using Substrate (It's a DotNET SDK for Minecraft map/schematic reading). I modified it to load maps from Resources and created a couple of new classes so it would play nice with Unity. I'm in the process of making it more compatible. When I'm done I may finish the process in my spare time. I don't really need that at the moment though.

46. lancer

lancer

Thanks

47. mcunha98

mcunha98

48. puppeteer

puppeteer

Never had a chance to post a full WIP thread, so here's what I've been working on for the last couple of months:

[video=youtube;16bLBy1-YBk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=16bLBy1-YBk

WEBPLAYER HERE

It's a template for people who want to make PVZ clones, with some additional features. Had lots of fun ( and some frustration ) making the weapon scripts, trying to get them to do alot of different things without having to split to many scripts. Will keep working on it of course.

49. acehwk

acehwk

First time posting my work, hopefully this is the right place. I'm looking for a little feedback and advice. Let me know if there's a better place to post this.

I set out to make a game that combined some of the features that I enjoy in other games. For example, this game has a similar tower defense style grid sustem as plants vs zombies. It has a traditional top down shooter player character, and a Minecraft style crafting system. I'm aiming for the game to be a free to play multiplayer (networked) webgame. Overall, I'm proud of how far I've come, considering I'm still a newbie when it comes to unity and game design in general, but I'm starting to hit some walls in terms of gameplay design and cohesion.

I'm not sure if the crafting system I currently have will hold up when it comes to balance. I only have 9 crafting slots and I would want the high end upgrades for weapons and turrets to have a cost that balances out their power. On top of that I have also been trying to make crafting visually logical, for example a pistol is made like so:

I think my ideas started to branch out too far from the game's core design in too many different directions and as a result I'm having trouble tying everything together into a logically flowing game. I want to keep working and finish a working alpha, but I guess I'm just feeling a little lost and unmotivated. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Should I start dropping some of the game features that are worrying me, and simplify the game? Should I do my best to power through and get a finished alpha version of the game with all elements, and then assess what needs changing?

---------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, here's a quick video I did to test out and shown some different gameplay mechanics. The enemies are placeholders both in terms of theirs models (free model off turbosquid) and their wave compositions which is a repeating pattern, starting with 1 wave of enemies spawning at the far right elevator, and by wave 7, that same wave is coming out of all 4 elevators at once. The final game will allow players to control the waves spawned at their enemies elevators, so that players can try counter the strategies of their opponents by controlling the types of infected spawned and the quantities coming out of each spawn point (elevator). That's what the purple DNA currency is spent on, via the flask icon, and the whole infected genetic modification system is visually represented by the chemistry lab and connecting pipes that lead from one player's rooftop to his/her opponent's elevators.

50. Misanthropic2013

Misanthropic2013

@puppeteer: Looks Really nice!! I'm curious as to how much it'll be on the asset store... or is it free? Everything looks really nice. I especially like the electric shock effects. awesome job!