Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Games WIP Small Works Game / Programming Thread

Discussion in 'Projects In Progress' started by Tim-C, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

Post any Unity related small programming / game work in this thread for feedback.

I accidentally deleted the old thread because I clicked a button I was not meant too I'm sorry. Feel free to post again here.

2. cupsster

cupsster

Do not try to repair what is working already.. ;)

robinhodd234 likes this.
  3. Metron

Metron

Do you "accidentally" delete the old threads on a regular basis?!? This is like the 3rd time this thread is renewed ;)

CyberjamStudios likes this.
  4. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

Second time. There is an 'issue' with the merge function which merges threads in the wrong dimension and gets into an irreversible state :(

5. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Again??

lightbug14 and Cookieg82 like this.
  6. Chris3Design

Chris3Design

Just leave it man

7. mgear

mgear

Attached Files:

Vectorbox and antislash like this.
  8. HolBol

HolBol

9. Dantus

Dantus

Do you mind to share a few details about how you got those shadows? Are you using projectors or some more advanced techniques? I made some experiments on my own with cloud shadows, but was not yet able to find a really good solution.

10. mgear

mgear

yup, its just one big orthographic projector..

11. Vanamerax

Vanamerax

Just finished up my basic crafting mechanics:

Vectorbox and dreg_master like this.
  12. Dantus

Dantus

Thanks for the info!

13. rijahkaz

rijahkaz

Hey guys, how you doing?

Richard here. Just wanted to share a little teaser I made for my "endless-arcade-space-shooter", Wingbreaker. :)

$Icon-72@2x.png
    http://youtu.be/H17C1zwNyTk

I am the sole developer and I am using Unity (it rocks. And the community rocks aswell!) to create my first baby. There's still a lot of work to do, but my "internal" deadline is October this year.

C&C are welcome!

14. Archania

Archania

Looks really cool. Reminds me of Zaxxon. Keep it up.

15. Kaze_Senshi

Kaze_Senshi

Nice visual, it looks pretty fun. Two questions:

* How do you control this game in the mobile device. The video does not show any visual stick on the screen or something like, or do you use the accelerometer?

* Did you have problems about collision with the bullets? I am thinking in a distant future to make one shooter game but I am little afraid because I got some collision problems with objects that run with a high speed and I can`t use raycast for all bullets in screen I think.

16. rijahkaz

rijahkaz

Thanks guys! :)

Archania, what a crazy game! I didn't know that one. It does remind somewhat.

Kaze, it is indeed based on the accelerometer! To fire, you touch the screen, each half fires a secondary weapon side. Very intuitive.
    Well, I don't have any problems with collisions because there isn't any enemy that fast. From Brasil, eh? Lots of brasileiros around Unity community. :)

17. marine565

marine565

looks awsome :)

18. Photon-Blasting-Service

Photon-Blasting-Service

Here's a preview of my next particle asset package: Vectormania 2. These particles are inspired by classic vector arcade games. The package will contain about 20 effects.

Comments/critique/requests are welcome!

Thanks,
    Ryan

Genalx and marserMD like this.
  19. Wild-Factor

Wild-Factor

Really nice.
    But for mobile device, it will probably kill the frame rate (fill rate).
    Will you make simpler version ?

20. Photon-Blasting-Service

Photon-Blasting-Service

I'm considering doing a test on iPhone for this package. It means I would have to build on a mac and test on the iPhone. Not sure if there is enough demand.

I'm using additive blending to avoid sorting and alpha blending.

Also considering a sprite sheet version of each particle effect.

21. Bruce2000

Bruce2000

22. omercy

omercy

Started messing around with this today, looks promising! here is my progress:
    http://motionos.com/terrain/

I cant figure out how to render holes in the middle of the mesh, so click next to the edges

This is one of the building blocks for my upcoming project. Next updates: Ninja rope, fluids...

23. diegzumillo

diegzumillo

Cool :) What method are you using? Are you familiar with marching squares algorithm?

24. diegzumillo

diegzumillo

Working on a stealth/espionage game. Below is the double grapple hook mechanics, one of his many gadgets :)

http://youtu.be/BBHJ6jlyDOk

This double grapple hook is a very old idea of mine (in my yt channel there's even an older prototype of it) that I decided to resurrect for this project. Each rope is fired and controlled independently of one another, allowing for a number of different maneuvers beyond simply swinging. in the video I'm showing how it can be used to slide horizontally (although it's oscillating a bit too much for my taste)

25. omercy

omercy

I'm using the Clipper library (http://www.angusj.com/delphi/clipper.php) and the Triangulator (http://wiki.unity3d.com/index.php/Triangulator) for the terrain. I'm simulating the water with SPH and rendering with marching squares. Ninja rope is a combination of hinge joint and character controller - I'm not really interested in simulating a real rope, I want it to feel like the Worms ninja rope :)

BTW I just updated the webplayer sample: you can change the brush size, add terrain as well as remove (ctrl+click), and even test out the collider with some particles (right click)

26. DeltaGameStudios

DeltaGameStudios

Great stuff

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  27. SevenBits

SevenBits

I'm not that impressed; it looks like you just used the Dastardly Bannana Package and little else.

28. tynan.

tynan.

Hey Folks,

I made a rough version of a physics based match 3 game, which can be played here https://dl.dropbox.com/u/11166490/TumbleBlocks/WebPlayer.html

I just made it as a kind of a joke game rather than a fun one but I was just wondering if anybody thinks I should do more with the game. Stuff like showing what blocks are coming up next, different shaped blocks, a proper leaderboard and some other game modes and mechanics.

The thing is though I'm not a great programmer and I'm not an artist, so I'd have to find help in the collaboration section to do this.

29. uweenukr

uweenukr

I have been working with the Angry Bots demo code lately. Things started off as a top down shooter idea for the Liberated Pixel Cup. After spending a few weeks tinkering in Java just to get the shell of something working I decided Unity is more productive! So What took me three weeks to accomplish in Java I finished in two days in Unity.

This is the start of the idea I have for a top down shooter. The demo code shown below showcases the beginning of the random level creation. The map is split into chunks of tiles. Nine chunks in a tile and multiple chunks in a map. The tiles are squares with sixteen possible combinations depending on how many walls are being used.

The chunk is generated starting with the center. It has one of five possible types. Once it is selected the cardinal positions can be chosen depending on weather they need to allow exiting of the chunk (blocked off walls). Now the only thing missing are the corners. They look at the surrounding cardinal tiles to decide what they should be.

It only took a few hours to setup and it works pretty well. Pictures and Webplayer below:

Webplayer:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/31365922/AngryMod.html

Pictures:

As you can see in the pictures the terrain generation is not perfect. It sometimes creates areas that are blocked off. I have not decided on a nice way to fix it. Next I will be adding spawn locations in each tile type so enemies, debris, and collectibles can be randomly spawned.

Thanks for checking it out!

30. SevenBits

SevenBits

It looks good. Now make it work with the AngryBots assets, etc.

31. uweenukr

uweenukr

It is built with only Angry Bots assets thus far. The player is still the same. I changed the camera setup a little. I planned on using the same Enemies but maybe adding some more AI. Starting to dig through the assets now to find a nice set of things to clutter the map up with. Make it look all pretty :p

32. SevenBits

SevenBits

I mean replace the walls and floor texture with the models from AngryBots.

33. Zaddo67

Zaddo67

I started a new Racing project and was frustrated that no support was available for force feedback wheels.

So I decided to write a plugin to support force feedback. I have uploaded my test version here: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/87201649/DInputPorxy%20V0.1.zip

The test supports all Direct Input details from game controllers and a a single force feedback function. If you experience any problems running the test, please let me know via a response to this thread. note: if you try to send force to a non-force feedback device it will crash (yes I will be trapping for this in a future release)

I am considering making this publicly available via asset store. I would like to find out if there is any interest in a force feedback plugin (and so worth the effort to package it up for public use).

Also, I would welcome feedback on what features to include (eg: multi-controller support, unity controller setup HUD).

Thx

[edit] ps: this plugin will work in Unity Free [/edit]

34. jamie-lowes

jamie-lowes

Update on Chopper Mike!

I've added a bunch of stuff, but tonight's main addition is a fake soft shadow that fades in and out based on another object's height.

It's pretty simple, here's the C# script...

Code (csharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using System.Collections;
    4. public class ShadowScaleAlphaWithHeight : MonoBehaviour
    5. {
    6.     public GameObject targetGO = null;
    7.     public float m_minimumY;
    8.     public float m_maximumY;
    9.     public float m_minimumAlpha;
    10.     public float m_maximumAlpha;
    13.     // Use this for initialization
    14.     void Start ()
    15.     {
    16.     }
    18.     // Update is called once per frame
    19.     void Update ()
    20.     {
    21.         Color textureColor = renderer.material.color;
    23.         float height = targetGO.transform.position.y;
    25.         height -= m_minimumY;
    26.         height = Mathf.Max( height, 0.0f );
    29.         float heightDiff = m_maximumY - m_minimumY;
    30.         float alpha = ( heightDiff - height ) / heightDiff;
    31.         alpha = Mathf.Min( alpha, 1.0f );
    33.         float invAlpha = 1.0f - alpha;
    34.         alpha = ( alpha * m_maximumAlpha ) + ( invAlpha * m_minimumAlpha );
    36.         textureColor.a = alpha;
    38.         renderer.material.color = textureColor;
    39.     }
    40. }

Set the game object, min/max heights and alphas... Done! The shadow object this is attached to is using the Transparent/Diffuse shader, and has a black texture with a blurred white square for an alpha channel.

Pretty happy with how it turned out :)

35. diegzumillo

diegzumillo

Man, I'm in love with this footage! Such a cute chopper lol and the gameplay looks fun and simple.

36. jamie-lowes

jamie-lowes

Thanks man. Yeah, that's pretty much the deal with Chopper Mike alright :)

37. osmant

osmant

Was bored a couple of days ago and tried to do a cover system in Unity:

Sorry for the huge gif!

antislash and John3D like this.
  38. IndieScapeGames

IndieScapeGames

Any plans on sharing or releasing the code for your cover system? that's pretty nifty!

39. jamie-lowes

jamie-lowes

@osmant - looks all sorts of awesome!!

Tonight's activity... boat physics/control test...

Pretty happy with it. Maybe game #2 after Chopper Mike :)

40. Sargon_of_Akkad

Sargon_of_Akkad

Our interactive shop:

Gameplay:

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
    John3D and GarBenjamin like this.
  41. tripknotix

tripknotix

I am currently developing a Mobile FPS Multiplayer Kit
    It supports both Mobile and Webplayer controls for FPS Games. However it has come to my attention that streaming scenes on cell phones is not very user friendly, users are not aware they must download each map, not to mention large bandwidth issues, and the fact that you would need to update the main file anyway in order to update any maps. So the mobile version will be completely packaged as a single apk. Also Asset Bundles require Unity Pro.

However I'd like to take a poll to see if its worth preserving Webplayer Compatibility.
    - Older Webplayer Demo: http://realdefinition.net/zombieopsonline/
    - Newer Android Demo: http://m.realdefinition.net/
    (Access this URL on your phone to make installing faster)

A quick list of current features:
    Player.IO cloud networking (free for 500 concurrently connected users, affordable for 5000 tier, unlimited option).
    User Login system with the Player.IO DB featuers for saving XP (levels), and Virtual Currency
    Guest Login for immediate anonymous playing and testing.
    Map Selection with options for game type, max users, map, and server instance name.
    Scoreboard for Coop and Team Deathmatch modes.
    Changing servers at any time and it will unload the map and reload the new one.

Here are some details for the Webplayer Version:
    It currently uses StreamedSceneAssetBundle ( example: BuildPipeline.BuildStreamedSceneAssetBundle() ).
    Along with a necessary class to Load Light Probes at runtime, which is not automated by LoadLevelAdditive().
    And also a class to Load Lightmaps for terrains at runtime, also not Automated by LoadLevelAdditive().
    It has its own controls setup and options.
    Streaming Asset Bundle Requires Unity PRO

If i remove the webplayer compatibility:
    I can focus on mobile, clean up the project, make it a less confusing process for first time mobile fps developers, for example, building the asset bundles will no longer be needed, multiple control options, and customized code depending on whether your mobile or webplayer.

First time setup would be:
    1. sign up for a free playerio account
    2. upload the pre-compiled server code
    3. add your playerio game ID to the game
    4. Build android APK.

The process for webplayer requires these additional steps for building:
    Re-connect any newly baked Lightmaps for terrains to lightmap loader class
    Re-connect any newly baked Light Probes to the light probe loader class
    Build StreamedSceneAssetbundle per map
    Update MapLoader's AssetBundle Version ID
    Build Main Scene

The possibility of micro transactions:
    Such as a pre-setup class and UI for buying xp speed leveling boosts (or maps, or guns), would be far easier if there was simplified app store targets. Such as just Android and IOS only. Also the more platforms I allow, Webplayer, Flash ...ect, the more complex the build processes becomes especially for handling micro transactions out of the box.

The Webplayer version:
    Used to use a 3rd party gun kit that is no longer in the project, however its in the webplayer demo to show the potential of the system recognizing purchased guns with virtual currency. Additionally the minimap and a few textures shown will not be included in the kit as I do not have permission to distribute them. It also uses Baked Directional Lightmaps on the terrain with real time lights and shadows on the weapons.

The Android version:
    The Demo level has completely baked lightmaps with baked light probes and no real time lighting. The demo renders at around 6k triangles with 45 draw calls and runs at 30fps on 600mhz arm v6 android phones with v2.2 and higher.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  42. augasur

augasur

Hi, I have a question. For how much are you planing to release it? ;)

43. tripknotix

tripknotix

Pricing suggestions would be welcomed, this kit would focus on the ease of development, and quick deployment of a mobile multiplayer FPS game with coop and team deathmatch modes out of the box.

My commitment to the project will remain high, as I am already creating my own game out of the project and i will be including ALL of the source for that game inside of the kit, and giving the game away for free on the android marketplace (with an in game ad network supporting it, and i will include the same scripts to use with your own in game ads). As i create additional features for the game, they will be included with the kit, so what i build, you will immediately have access to.

There are several features that still need to be implemented, such as changes to the map loader for use with multiple scenes in a single apk, weapon switching for the mobile version, a better mobile menu with bigger buttons and a DPI + screen height re-sizing method for the in game UI.

And ofcourse, i need to port over the co-op level from the webplayer version, and get it working as a low poly baked map for mobile performance.

I will open a thread for the project in the coming weeks when ive finished adding in these features.

44. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

This was deleted in one of the regressions: A space flight sim that works on iOS:

Primarily temp assets to get a handle on game play.

45. diegzumillo

diegzumillo

My prototype is coming along quite quickly :) It's a first person stealth game with platforming elements.

In the video below I try to show all features implemented so far: I show mantling, moving along ledges, firing and swinging in a rope, firing two ropes and sliding across them and, finally, a security camera showing the visual detection system. The security cam is in front of that big screen, the red light above it is an indicator of how much visible the player is.

It's far from perfect but I really like how everything's taking shape! I'll make its own wip thread when I have some artistic content to go with it. Hopefully next week. Any comments, suggestions etc are welcome.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  46. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Impressive!

I'll be watching this.

47. Blacklight

Blacklight

Very nice, especially the climbing and ropes. I might have to keep an eye on this.

48. diegzumillo

diegzumillo

Glad you guys like it :)

49. Anazoth

Anazoth

We are currently recruiting for committed volunteers to join our team and work on our game. If you are interested in becoming a member of Anazoth Productions, feel free to send me a message with an example of your work. You will be joining the team, not the project. If you aren't interested in joining the team or are already in a team / project then this isn't the place for you. We have already been let down by a few members already, we need active, enthusiastic and committed people!

Ninja Trials is a game where you take on the role of a ninja and have to go through 7 trials to compete for the role of Ninja Warrior. The game is currently in it's concept stage at the moment and is making really fast progress.

At this stage we will not go into too much detail on the game, we are planning to integrate it with facebook so that you can compete against your friends and become to true ninja warrior. We have a lot of fantastic ideas and plans for this game but at this exact moment we don't want to give too much away, keep checking back as this thread will be updated.

Character
    http://youtu.be/U_dTRetKTHY

Endurance Trial

Hand-Eye Co-ordination

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  50. The-Spaniard

The-Spaniard

^It looks good, very smooth movement. I especially like the walking on rope bit, although it seemed odd that you could turn around so quickly and carry on moving simultaneously. Perhaps you could limit the player's rotation on the rope unless they're standing still?