Search Unity

WIP Small Works Art Thread

Discussion in 'Art Assets In Progress' started by Tim-C, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Andy-Coxall

Andy-Coxall

Here is a peak at something I have been working on recently.
    I wanted to get away from the reptilian based dinosaurs we have all grown up with and head into the more avian type which is becoming more prevalent at the moment.

The downside to this is that it is very easy to make your dinosaur all cuddly and fluffy and lack menace.
    For texturing I Wanted to have the ability to change everything easily and have used Substance Painter and Designer utilising ID masks so that it is very easy to change everything about the texturing, and I'd like to be able to leave some parameters editable within unity so that is will be easy to spawn many variants.

Any crits are always welcome and you can follow more here: www.redmoorstudios.com/blog

Cheers all

Andy

Some Realtime screen grabs from Painter of the Feathered T-Rex
    Proto_Trex_orig.jpg
    My next step is to add some larger feathers using plate and alpha cut feathers and I have been working on some paint overs for this as seen below.

Proto_Trex_ConceptPaintover.jpg

Slaghton, nasos_333, DennG and 8 others like this.
  2. Kellyrayj

Kellyrayj

Thanks! I don't disagree. It could certainly be toned down a bit. It doesn't bother me so much once I size the sprite down to what it might look like on a phone.

Screen Shot 2015-06-19 at 8.37.44 AM.png

3. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Oh, now you can't even notice it! Good thing it's gonna me on mobile, less work.

@Not Sure your name says otherwise xD

Not_Sure and Kellyrayj like this.
  4. AlexZimich

AlexZimich

Not an individual art piece per say, but here is how everything is looking currently.
    Im very happy with the progress and very happy to be able to share it with everyone!

5. nasos_333

nasos_333

Bringing together Sky Master 2 ULTIMATE (sky, volume clouds, volume fog), InfiniTREE (dynamic trees) and Particle Dynamic Magic 2 (dynamic grass and partcicle effects) for the new Anime Countryside asset (final title still TBD).

This will be a complete stage that will include a big number of optimizations (custom batching for the super detailed shadowed grass, multithreaded/pooled particles,decals and dynamic batching etc) and perhaps a few gameplay elements as well.

Also there will be a manager that will enable the starting of the stage at various weather types (bright sun, heavy storm etc)

DennG and NomadKing like this.
  6. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

I really like the artstyle of this game, also the Age of Empires/C&C camera angle is nice! I hope as the level progresses it becomes more challenging, because the AI you have basically has aimbot when shooting, so if you have a group of 3 of them--pretty much always together--you're likely to never die. Very good progress on the game though.

AlexZimich likes this.
  7. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

Dino's with feathers, FINALLY!

I am yet to see one single iteration of dinosaurs with feathers (like they actually had) in pop culture, anywhere!

Could I make one tiny suggestion?

Color is "in" right now (see FO4 trailer), you should try throwing some color into it. And if you're verging away from the JP T-rex with feathers, why not take it a step further with color.

And not that realism matters, but many scientist believe that most dinosaurs would have been very colorful due to the tropical climate at the time.

8. Andy-Coxall

Andy-Coxall

Cheers for your post.

Not to worry I do have colour in my thoughts but one of the reasons for starting this and the end goal of it all is to explore how I might make better use of substance materials rather than just bake off the static maps from Painter or Designer.
    So I'm working on a master .SBAR in designer to enable all parameters to be tweaked from within Unity, so things like scales, feathers and of course colour can all be tweaked or semi-randomly generated.

Off the back of this I can then use this substance on other models to greatly speed up production time on other Dinos.

The current iteration of the T-Rex is based on what science I have read about and its unlikely that a full grown T-Rex would of had complete feathers due to thermal regulation issues. So I have opted for a juvenile with the brown down proto feathers (A juvenile T-Rex was also the main dino protagonist in the Jurassic park book). Also means he'll fit in buildings and smaller places and be able to hide more in game, but I am hoping to make an adult version too but most probably with only a head dress/mane/dorsal spine type feather arrangement.

Another consideration I made regarding the colour was the mental jump some people suffer from going from a lifetime of scary scaly Dinosaurs to fluffy nice ones, Many more people are scared of snakes and crocodiles compared to eagles and chickens so with this initial version I kept a dirty muted colour pallet to help keep it firmly rooted in scary/evilness.

It seams that brown proto feathers and Black and white forms for later more evolved types seam to be accepted, though some do now point to feathers having evolved for display and as such its easy to justify brighter colours (which means we can indeed go crazy as was your suggestion) I have also read that some also think that other dinos not just the therapods may have had these display feathers so a feathered triceratops may not be out the window yet either.

But anyway even if I cant get the Substance version going, what I have in place already is infinitely adjustable so its super easy to output many different variants (including nice coloured ones) :)

Not_Sure and Mister-D like this.
  9. Billy4184

Billy4184

Early render of alien ship, details are just sketched up quickly .. I think the form is a bit boring but the details should end up looking allright, any feedback appreciated :)

screenshot.png

10. Billy4184

Billy4184

And a quick screenshot of the space combat starter kit I am going to put it in...hope to have a webplayer up soon :)

screenshot.png

11. Mister-D

Mister-D

added a modular castle and a minion model to the overlord scene. next up is ambient stuff like torches and some dead trees
    wipscreensA.jpg

rame16, redpanda, nasos_333 and 7 others like this.
  12. Billy4184

Billy4184

The ship I posted above just looked way too boring, so I remodelled with a much more organic, savage, alien look...maybe about 50% done now...

screenshot2.png

screenshot1.png
    screenshot5.png

I think I finally nailed a good hull texture ... anyway, let me know what you think!

DennG, roryo and Mister-D like this.
  13. CuriousScribbles

CuriousScribbles

Very well done :)

mcunha98 likes this.
  14. CuriousScribbles

CuriousScribbles

You definitely look like you put a lot of thought and effort into these characters. Do you have any animations for them yet? Looks great!

15. CuriousScribbles

CuriousScribbles

Nice Start. Is this done in Zbrush?

16. CuriousScribbles

CuriousScribbles

Love your style. Great job! Looks very professional. The only thing and it's minor for sure. The character in the foliage scene would appear to have an issue of washing out into the background because of the same color palette. Aside from that it's stellar :)

17. Will-Morillas

Will-Morillas

New character for the store in progress
    Newimage.jpg

Slaghton and Mister-D like this.
  18. Billy4184

Billy4184

Here's the rear end, maybe could do with a few more polys ... looking for any and all criticism :)
    screenshot7.png

19. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

Dabbling about in Unity.

20. TheValar

TheValar

Thanks! I'm currently in the process of animating. You can see some in my wip thread in my sig or on my twitter :)

CuriousScribbles likes this.
  21. Mister-D

Mister-D

overlords' castle is done
    screenshot2.jpg

rame16, Slaghton, NomadKing and 7 others like this.
  22. Billy4184

Billy4184

Learning to sculpt in blender...

Screenshot1.png

Whiteleaf likes this.
  23. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

24. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Needs shading, and if that's lava coming out of the volcano, needs a bit of work. Looked like a moon at first glance to me, but that might just be me. ;)

25. mcbryzol

mcbryzol

26. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

I don't know what you're trying to aim for here. If you're trying to get a plastic looking red moon/lava ball and a plastic looking volcano, you've got that. Needs detail and realistic shading; left side of the volcano is lit up and the top of the red ball is lit up? You gotta pay attention to lighting, as well.

27. Kellyrayj

Kellyrayj

I keep thinking about this cowboy character. Here's another try:

Screen Shot 2015-06-30 at 10.19.16 PM.png

Edit:

Added some texture, tweaked the nose and added a hat. Not a cowboy without a hat right?

Screen Shot 2015-07-01 at 4.48.15 PM.png

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  28. TheValar

TheValar

That looks awesome! much cooler style than the first iteration. My only complaint is that the mustache looks off since it's from front view perspective and the rest is angled. Since it's so big it makes it feel off to me. Maybe just squash up the right half of it?

NomadKing and Kellyrayj like this.
  29. IAmCraigSnedeker

IAmCraigSnedeker

Love the look, I'd be interested in how you got the grass system working :)

30. Kellyrayj

Kellyrayj

Trying a different style of hat! What you think?

Screen Shot 2015-07-02 at 6.07.08 PM.png

31. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

New game called 100 Hats? Can't wait! :rolleyes:

Kellyrayj likes this.
  32. gavinb80

gavinb80

Some power up avatars from my current project (there are 10 in total) but these are my favorites
    Volcano.png Glacier.png Earthquake.png

Not_Sure and nasos_333 like this.
  33. antislash

antislash

hey, i like the moustache,
    the hat is in between, looks more like an urban flat hat ... sould be much higher or much "texas styl-ish"

Kellyrayj likes this.
  34. marcos

marcos

45 minute speed sculpt for lols.

KingLlama and DennG like this.
  35. DennG

DennG

New Project. New Assets.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
    nasos_333 likes this.
  36. AlexZimich

AlexZimich

Heres what im working on. Did you know Maya and Mudbox are $30+10=40? Its unbelievable

I remember maya was $200!

37. c-Row

c-Row

Their homepage only lists a monthly subscription for me. :(

38. Lucas87

Lucas87

Working on some big eyes characters for my game..

Kellyrayj likes this.
  39. LeftyRighty

LeftyRighty

yeah he's missed the " + VAT / month" underneath :(

40. Goolygot

Goolygot

Getting some progress on my platformer.

Billy4184 likes this.
  41. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Is that in the editor with lighting disabled? If not it needs some lighting badly.

42. SaliferousStudios

SaliferousStudios

Character art in progress.

43. Kellyrayj

Kellyrayj

Trying again. Took inspiration from some of my favorite poster designs and minimized the palette to three colors and did a mock up for what it could look like in a game level. Would love to hear what you think!

Screen Shot 2015-07-07 at 10.03.13 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-07-07 at 10.02.59 PM.png

44. LeftyRighty

LeftyRighty

I'm not sure, I think if you're looking at a more "ye olde printing press" style the lines are too clean. Think it might work better with some pokemarks/voids/smudging etc.

Kellyrayj likes this.
  45. SaliferousStudios

SaliferousStudios

46. Polywick-Studio

Polywick-Studio

'Small' Concept Artwork
    fortuna_concept_withlogosmall.png

NomadKing, marcos, Busina and 5 others like this.
  47. SaliferousStudios

SaliferousStudios

48. SaliferousStudios

SaliferousStudios

I really like the panting style of this.

49. SaliferousStudios

SaliferousStudios

Very nice style design. You've obviously put emphasis on consistency and quality of art assets.

50. jerryjr261

jerryjr261

A simple wooden fence section