Search Unity

WIP Small Works Art Thread

Discussion in 'Art Assets In Progress' started by Tim-C, Jul 26, 2012.

1. NomadKing

NomadKing

I always thought the character art was much better than what you'd show of your levels so far, but now this new direction is right up there with the characters. Kudos on being brave enough to make such big changes.

2. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

So, I did what Nomad and Marcos said and added some lighted windows to the castle, and the new watch tower.

zvk2-3.png

I think it does a lot for the scene. I also need to add some torches and stuff, other lighting. I also need to get an artist to help me with units and structures at some point, but that's a long ways off...

3. Yanneyanen

Yanneyanen

A couple of characters I just finished. These shots are from Blender with a basic diffuse material and no lighting, so they will look slightly better in-game : )

4. clearrose

clearrose

Hey guys, I've just got a question. I've been plundering this since last week....... I've wanting to sell some assets on the unity store and I was thinking of using the assets that I originally created for the game I did for my senior year. Because I wanted to redo the level I had made for college, with better assets. So after putting so much effort into the original assets I need to do something with them.

After all, I feel that the resulting level doesn't live up to the concept work I did during pre-production:

Original Concept Work:

Level:

So what do you guys think? should I just continue the game I'm working on with my current assets or make new ones? I want to get as close to AAA as possible.

And should I sell the old assets if I do redo the level?

mouurusai likes this.
  5. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

Keep it, looks awesome. Just a little dark.

6. Mister-D

Mister-D

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  7. marcos

marcos

Been a while:

8. clearrose

clearrose

@marcos

Nice art, good build of form on the face.

marcos likes this.
  9. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

I really like it. Is it just flat-colored geometry with no texturing? Did you create the meshes within Unity?

10. Kellyrayj

Kellyrayj

All the elements are sprites actually. I used photoshop and made basic shapes with a color palette and then used a grunge brush to add just a tad bit of texture.

11. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Got some floating health bars in my game

zvk2-4.png

I also brightened up the scene and dialed the fog back a bit. I'm planning to add a rain effect at some point.

12. sporkflips

sporkflips

This is really basic but I'm sort of new to game development. I've done some with rpgmaker in the past and I've made some models in blender although I almost always seem to get areas of the mesh that are just screwed up for no apparent reason unless I'm making a character. but anyways.. first thing I've tried to make in unity other than a unityscript character controller I've been trying to learn how to program (if anyone knows a good tutorial for this I haven't been able to find a really good one that's not for c#):

made the textures myself too although pretty quickly and looking back (I did it yesterday) I should probably try to get rid of some more of the stretching... just looking for advice I guess basically haha

13. Acumen

Acumen

wow that came unexpected. Dozen times better than the old level set.
    So worth the refinement and iterations. Lovely :)

Kellyrayj likes this.
  14. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

I did some GUI work on the RTS game. There's other things in play, I just haven't built GUI elements for them yet.

I made the health ticks much smaller. They had no reason to be as long as they were.

zvk2-6.png

15. marcos

marcos

Didn't tweak vertex weights, just wanted to see what she looked like not in a T-pose. Did a bit of work on the hair, lots of other things left to do:

16. mcunha98

mcunha98

Concept:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
  17. virror

virror

She totally looks hot! ; )

18. Kellyrayj

Kellyrayj

Thank you! I am excited to show the next couple of levels soon!

19. nipoco

nipoco

Great work Marcos. I like this hair better.
    But damn, she has no toes.

Is she for a game, our just some exercise/portfolio piece?

20. marcos

marcos

:p Thanks!

Thank you!

haha yep! She's gonna get some socks soon. It's mostly for a portfolio update, but I have a rough idea for small game. At the very least I'll get her working with Mecanim and walking around. Might end up on the asset store, probably with a more functional outfit.

21. Zomby138

Zomby138

What's the poly count on the spinning lady, if you don't mind me asking?

Excellent looking work btw.

22. marcos

marcos

Thanks! I don't mind at all, 8950 verts at the moment. I haven't done any optimisation yet, still has the body underneath the clothes and so on.

I did a first pass of low poly socks:

Going to refine them tomorrow, then figure out what's left to do.

Edit:

Edit Part 2 - The Sequel:

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
    XavLar likes this.
  23. chronos78

chronos78

Project of the day, try and see how close I could get to replicating the planets in Eve Online with a single draw call.

Edit: After some more tweaking.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
    XavLar likes this.
  24. TSC

TSC

sup everyone been working on the first next model out of the AF series : The AF1
    i still have some more to add : engines, handle bars , feet bars, ....

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  25. NiloBR

NiloBR

this looks gooooood....
    so... how close did u get from a single draw call??

26. chronos78

chronos78

Glad you like it.

The shader hit the mark, it's a single draw call. Currently working on refining & optimizing the shader. Edited my previous post to include my current progress.

Once that's done going to start working on a system to procedurally generate planets. Will also be working on shaders for ice, barren, volcanic, gas giants, moons, and asteroids. Need to also look into being able to render rings.

AndrewGrayGames likes this.
  27. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Are you going to be releasing this shader on the Asset Store at some point, or otherwise making it publicly available? Also, is there any Unity version requirement on this shader?

28. chronos78

chronos78

Currently this is for a personal project but it will probably find its way the Asset Store. The only requirement for the shaders so far is that your video card supports Shader Model 3. Though there will probably be strip down versions for LOD purposes in the future.

The planet shaders are part of a larger project that also spawned a separate sub project that will be submitted to the Asset Store as soon as I finish the marketing stuff and record a tutorial video. This new asset will allow people to be able to create Homeworld 2 style backgrounds in Unity.

All you Homeworld 2 fans should recognize this. It was created entirely in Unity and it is done with only vertex color. Have to hand it to the guys at Relic, their idea was pure genius. Enough plugging my new asset this is an art thread after all.

You've probably guessed by now my current project is an Eve Online, Homeworld 2, TW2002 mashup but on a much, Much, MUCH smaller scale.

29. marcos

marcos

Birthday sculpting! Testing importing a posed low res mesh into the high res sculpt. I don't have much experience rigging, so I found it tricky to get a good transition from the glutes to the hamstrings. I also haven't done any touch up sculpting on the body, so there are some oddities at the joints, especially elbows and wrists.

Pose was inspired by a music video that was on in the gym, trying to think of one to use for the turntable on my reel. Also, I'm not sure at what point this becomes NSFW.

30. virror

virror

Now thats an "interesting" pose : D

31. mcunha98

mcunha98

32. Kellyrayj

Kellyrayj

Second level WIP. Too much going on? Or Not enough?

Screen Shot 2014-06-20 at 10.19.45 AM.png

33. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

:rolleyes:

34. marcos

marcos

Haha, that's one way of putting it. This was the frame from the video:

:rolleyes:

I like it, I'd maybe add another background layer to create some depth as it feels a bit flat. Foreground is rad though.

XavLar likes this.
  35. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

Teach me how to be as good as you.

36. Acumen

Acumen

How shall we know without being able to play and experience it :D
    It looks lovely, definitely. Never ever saw that coming from your initial levelstuff. This is sooo good. But I said that like 3 times now. I'm gonna stop :D

37. TSC

TSC

How's it going everyone anti-Gravity-Pulsar(front) or Rims&Tires(back)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
  38. TSC

TSC

Great..Ten thumbs Up....and hey is that you in this photo from your cover pic? just was wondering your noses are similar and that may seem odd but yea...haha

39. Mister-D

Mister-D

ive made a robot to test substance designer, im pretty happy with the first results

Attached Files:

40. marcos

marcos

haha thanks! My avatar was from a drawing I did a while ago, I don't think it's the same girl.

41. mcunha98

mcunha98

42. Kellyrayj

Kellyrayj

:D I think it might be misleading when I say second level. I think in my story progression this might be a little ways in. But it was the one that was in my head at the time I wanted to start the next one so I went for it.

43. Dennis_eA

Dennis_eA

*sculpting*..no .. poly modeling a custom RallyX / WRC car based on pictures and realistic measurements, but hey.. No blueprints. :)

Edit: And the rear..Mesh is a mess right now, just trying to get the proportions right.

Edit2: (pic3) Overall Design and shape is ready. I will remodel the whole body - to get a cleaner mesh, UV map, new wheels, ...some other stuff... --> Asset Store. ;)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  44. SiegfriedCroes

SiegfriedCroes

Some progress on the scene graphics in my game :)

New.png

siegfriedcroes.com/landsoftreasure/

45. marcos

marcos

Going with this pose to show the model:

Tomorrow I'll fix up the deformations and so on.

46. Artisiti

Artisiti

A WIP of the new mesh of our main character. You can vote for us on our Greenlight Campaign. We are currently at position #56 so every vote counts :) Don't forget to tell your friends.

XavLar likes this.
  47. carking1996

carking1996

48. Kellyrayj

Kellyrayj

Here's another WIP screen of another level:

Screen Shot 2014-06-25 at 4.20.45 PM.png

What do you guys think of the color palette?

balaam and Artisiti like this.
  49. Dennis_eA

Dennis_eA

I like it!
    But the pillars and the roof, or wall / arches above them look a bit to ..light. Give them just a bit more heaviness, a bit more of an ominous feeling for the player, being Inside an abandoned (?) castle? Just my 2 cents :)

50. NomadKing

NomadKing

The back wall stands out a bit, so it depends what your going for. If you're going for "abandoned castle" the back wall seems too clean and bright. If your going for "invaded throne room" I think the pillars, floor and roof could be changed to be more like the back wall in colour to give a more regal/marble feel.