Search Unity

WIP Small Works Art Thread

Discussion in 'Art Assets In Progress' started by Tim-C, Jul 26, 2012.

1. tweedie

tweedie

@Snowcone, Apologies for not replying! I also owe 95% of my 3D knowledge to CG Cookie. I've learnt almost everything I know about Blender through them :)

@Marcos - Awesome stuff! Great subtle muscle tone in the stomach. Also (and this will sound very weird) nice folds around the knee - they make all sculpts feel that much more real to me :)

Anyways, with what little time I've had around school, I've been making some progress on my 'Watcher' robot. I started by making a fresh model for the head, based on the initial sculpt and then multi-res sculpted it rather than with dynamic topology. Then I started to make the chest, and sculpted that. Then for retopo! I'm still not sure how I want the arms and legs to look yet, but I'm not quite that far in. Anyways, here's some screenshots. Apologies for the nasty conglomeration of pictures here, it's late and I can't be bothered to present them in a cleaner fashion. Apologies also if this paragraph makes no sense, again, it's late.

Also, I was initially trying to optimise the heck out of the chest and helmet, as I was worrying about tri count (I get quite concerned about it) but I was aiming for this model to be a semi-next-gen asset, so I did some research on the standard AAA tri count for a main character - Ryse has 80,000!? I thought we were stuck on 15000. I've been living in the stone age apparently. Anyway, at least that means this guy should run pretty well.
    $8YpR7.jpg

Larger wireframes here:
    http://puu.sh/8YnmN.jpg
    http://puu.sh/8Ynkz.jpg

$Render_WIP_Progress_01.jpg

Oh, and here's the original sketch and the model so far.

$Sketch Model.png

(Also as a sidenote anyone heard about star citizen with a 7,000,000 polygon ship? Cryengine 3 has an active poly-culling engine, so it can run something THAT big; unbelievable).

Last edited: May 24, 2014
  2. marcos

marcos

I have (the beginnings of) an idea for something, so maybe! But I may also put it on the Asset Store. Either way I want to bring it to completion, instead of just leaving it as a sculpt.

Thanks!
    haha that doesn't sound weird at all, it all adds up, I think.
    Your robot is looking awesome, keen to see that thing finished!

Edit: Did a pass on the arms and hands, so that they actually have a bit of form, and started texturing the face.

Rodolfo-Rubens likes this.
  3. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

I'm a programmer, not an artist, so bear with me if I've made any obvious mistakes...

Decided I should start trying to flex my artistic muscles. Can't build 'em if I don't exercise 'em ;)
    First attempt at a PBR barrel prop. Modeled in Blender, textured with Photoshop CC and free version of Quixel dDo. Shots are shown ingame, using Lux PBR framework with Cook Torrance lighting model.
    Tried to add some kind of leakage (water damage?) around the metal bands, but it's not very obvious in these shots.
    Should have dirtied up the metal a lot more I think (pristine metal with spots of rust looks a bit odd to me, but again its my first time doing this)

$Shot1.png $Shot2.png $Shot3.png $Shot4.png

4. tweedie

tweedie

@marcos - looking good! :D

@PhobicGunner Looking great for a programmer! ;) hehe
    The rust looks good, but you're right, the metal could do with some more general wear (just turning down the spec/gloss could help so it isn't quite as shiny). It'd also be nice to have some shadows on either side of the metal bands, so they looked a touch more raised above the wood. In fact, some darker AO overall would really help sell it, just so there's some more shadowing on the underside of the barrel and in the crevice between each cap and the outer planks.

Only thing that bugs me with the actual model is the thickness of the planks around the edge, considering there's also a big metal band running around it as well. Lovely wood texture though, just the right balance between knots and general grainy swirls. Keep up the good work! You're right about flexing those muscles! :)

I should have mentioned earlier that I was using legacy dDo as a base for my robot's texture. (It's great they made it free).

5. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

Yeah, I also had a hell of a time with the normal map. Next time I'll bake a high poly version to the low poly (might pick up Sculptris for this).
    As for the wood, it's amazing what a Google Image search turns up ;)

Yeah I saw that robot and wondered... lol.
    I've actually preordered the whole Quixel suite, looks damn cool.
    Even though I'm a programmer, I've been wanting to improve my art skills. Been drawing every day, and now I'm trying to model stuff as well.

6. tweedie

tweedie

Yeah I wasn't sure what you were doing in terms of a normal map, the metal didn't look too raised, but I didn't want to sound like I was critiquing the hell out of you haha. Sculptris is great and I'd thoroughly recommend it, though for a high poly you'll want to subdivide the hell out of it. As it uses dynamic topology, if you were to just bake a regular normal from it, you'd probably end up with a few triangular artifacts.. but you'll probably be able to avoid that.

Haha, oh I must have sounded rather pretentious with the balance of grain then, lol.

Yeah it's actually my first time using it (picked it up yesterday) and I love it. Currently I'm using it to get the basic values for spec/gloss down for each material, but I'm going to paint over it a lot (it's just fun and adds some prettiness). Currently it's not looking quite how I want it to. The chest is partly painted and is probably more of what I'm going for.
    Metals are a predictable material though, so it makes sense to me to use an automated texturing program, at least as a base.

I'm tempted to preorder the suite, the price is so attractive! It certainly looks great.
    I think programmers like you are great for trying to improve their art. It can take a lot of work but it sure pays off. Drawing is always underrated, as it can help improve 3D at the same time. I also think artists should give programming a go, it's better if you understand your team that much more.

7. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

Personally, I'm a bit tired of always being in need an artist, so... ;)
    Yeah, it looks like the full suite comes with a lot more. The package I selected listed a "Quixel Megascans Starter Pack" (which is actually what I preordered it for, but now I'm excited for dDo as well!), and as far as I can tell the new one will let you use the megascans as materials from dDo rather than just basic swaths of color/spec/gloss.
    This video is pretty much singlehandedly responsible for making me preorder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyJJAp17K-Y

8. tweedie

tweedie

Blasphemer! Just kidding, I can appreciate that!

Oh megascans looks great, cool idea. I've seen that video, it's very impressive, and is also something that makes me want the suite a lot. I'm a student, so any money is a bit far out of reach, but my birthday's coming up so hopefully I can scrounge some money together and splurge, it really is a great price for freelancers/hobbysists. Actually, I haven't read too much into the licenses.. what's the difference between indie and hobbyist? Does it allow more seats, because it's a big price jump.

Ahh stop you're making me more tempted.

9. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

I think the idea is that hobbyist is for individuals and then indie is kind of a team license type of deal for small teams.

10. tweedie

tweedie

Yeah, that would make more sense. I think I'm going to have to preorder now after thinking about it some more haha.

11. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

So I took the roughness map into Photoshop and darkened the metal bands, and additionally added a layer of metal scratches I got off of Google Images. Here's what I got:

$Shot5.png

EDIT: In Normalized Blinn Phong mode, the highlight becomes way overblown IMHO. It ends up looking a lot more like metal, though...

12. bgivenb

bgivenb

Looking better, although I might suggest bringing it back into a program like dDO to add some edge scratches/procedural wear and team to the metal to bring it up to 100%. I noticed that the rust areas look a little flat. You can actually bring up the normal strength for details inside of dDO, it's great for adding depth to things like rust patches. Also, are you making use of Unity's spec system? If you use Photoshop or blender, you can get your spec detail into the normal map via the alpha channel. If you have a spec map, you can quickly create a layer mask from it and apply it to the alpha channel. It could really help sell those edges. Keep it up :)

13. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

I'm using the Lux PBR shader pack actually. So I've got a dedicated specular map which contains RGB reflectivity color, A surface roughness.

I played around with it a bit more and got this. Rust does look a bit flat, will crank it up and see how that looks...
    $Shot7.png

14. chrisall76

chrisall76

Finally finished a chess set. Probably won't use it anywhere but it will go on my portfolio. Gonna be slowly working on that.
    http://chrisall76.carbonmade.com/

$Chess.png
    $Chess_Wireframe.png
    pawn: 140
    Rook: 232
    King: 310
    Knight: 347
    Bishop: 439
    Queen: 505

Last edited: May 25, 2014
  15. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

Hey everyone.

So I'm trying my hand at some 16-bit pixel art.
    Right now I'm working on Zelda-like hack-n-slash.
    These are the icons I made for my various classes.

$class_icons.png

I was wondering if everyone could 1) tell me if they can tell what these icons are pictures of, 2) if any of the icons need work, and 3) if you can figure out what class goes with what icon without being told (I want to see if they're self evident).

So here are my classes in no particular order:
    Cleric
    Knight
    Druid
    Barbarian
    Hunter
    Assassin
    Wizard
    Paladin
    Fencer
    Dragoon
    Monk
    Elementalist

Thanks!

16. The-Spaniard

The-Spaniard

From left to right:
    - Axes in a fire (Barbarian)
    - swords and shield (Knight)
    - Dragon/wyvern (Dragoon)
    - Bear paw (hunter)
    - Skull?
    - Sun (Paladin)
    - mystic eye (wizard)
    - lightning and fire? (elementalist)
    - heart with a target (assassin?)
    - Ying yang (monk)
    - tree? (druid)
    - winged helmet

The ones with ? could do with some more definition IMHO. I don't really know what a fencer is, so the last two I'm not sure on. What's my score? :p

17. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

Pretty good.

You've pretty much confirmed what I suspected about the ones I'm unsure of.

from left to right:
    axes and fire (barbarian)
    swords and shield (knight)
    dragon (dragoon)
    paw (hunter)
    skull (assassin)
    sun (cleric)
    mystic eye with a moon and sun under it (wizard)
    snow, lightning, and fire (elementalist)
    heart and cross hair (fencer)
    yin yang (monk)
    tree (druid)
    winged helmet and lightning (paladin)

Thank you for the "play test".

18. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

$class_icons_updated.png
    Updated.
    Opinions?

19. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

Pretty good, but I feel like the skull is a little bit fat/wide.

20. chrisall76

chrisall76

Worked on a plane model today. Almost complete, around 90%. Don't know if I'll end up texturing it or not.

Total is 4980 faces, probably can reduce that too.

21. SiegfriedCroes

SiegfriedCroes

Nice icons, only thing I would change is the outline of the yin yang symbol, for some reason it's ticker than the other symbols.

22. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

@Tweedie, very cool! Your bioshock inspired character turned out awesome. The helmet is really cool and the textures are very nicely done. The chest plate looks like its coming along nicely too. Keep up the good work.

I made some more props for my beach game project I am currently working on.
    Here is a new set of low poly beach props I created last night:

Final models rendered in Unity:

And here is a breakdown of the set if your interested in the more technical stuff.

Beach prop set includes a variety of different beach items such as:

-4 sand buckets (400 Tris Each)
    -5 different umbrellas (rainbow, red, blue, green, yellow) (1340 Tris each)
    -4 different Solid colored beach Chairs (blue, red, green, yellow) (824 Tris each)
    -4 different Striped beach chairs (blue, red,green, yellow) (968 Tris each)
    -6 surfboards (variety of colors) (602 tris each)

all models textured on a single 512 X 512 image for game optimization
    These go nicely along with the other props I created so far such as the beach balls, rubber ducks and palm trees.

I am keeping this project simple. Will have a playable demo up soon and start my own wip thread probably in the next day or so.

23. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

You are correct.
    I actually tried thinner and liked this one better.

Thank you for the feedback though.

EDIT: Also, here's a skinnier skull:
    $class_icon_assassin.png
    (thanks for the help Phobic)

And here's my first pass at a blank character:
    $character.png

EDIT 2: Oh, and here's a sample of some tiles I've been working on.
    $tiles.png

Last edited: May 26, 2014
    balaam likes this.
  24. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

I´ve been working this weekend on a new race for UMA:

25. marcos

marcos

Early NPR test:

26. tweedie

tweedie

@Snow Thanks again for the kind words! That beach set is looking awesome, very crisp and clean. (And whilst it doesn't affect the actual art, nice presentation! I find the screenshots really appealing because of how the models are laid out haha). The colours you've chosen work really nicely together, though I think the green is a tad too neon/garish for me, other than that good job!

So I finished the head (after several things crashed, save files were irreparable and much work had to be redone. Ugh.). Opinions on the green visor? I think it works nicely, and adds a mossy, grungy look, but other opinions are always handy.
    Also blocked out the body, just needed to know how he was going to roughly look when done, and see what proportions I wanted. Please remember he is a human-robot thing, so he has thinner and odder joints than usual people do in places (slight cop-out I know :rolleyes:, but it's the truth, ok! His body is mainly made of leather for goodness sake.) Opinions/crits on the body and its shapes etc are very welcome though.
    Then I made a sculpt for the arm, which has turned out quite nicely overall. Not 100% happy with the hands, but they're my weakest area and they've turned out twice as good as my usual ones do. Small steps to improvement I guess! He's also wearing leather gloves so they might look a bit chubby/ lack variation in length, but that's the reason why.

Anyway, sorry for the waffle, here's some images, sorry for the poor quality, but I can't be bothered to take them again. And there's a link to a ZIP containing a webplayer if anyone wants a closer look (threw it together to show some friends, the lighting is far too blue, but again, I can't be bothered to upload it a second time).

$Watcher Robot Renders.png
    ^Much bigger when opened in a new tab

Here's a link to a rather large gif turntable of the initial concept sculpt I did for the arm: http://puu.sh/91Tp8

Webplayer ZIP link

And lastly some higher res Skyshop renders of the chest/head: http://puu.sh/90Dpf and http://puu.sh/90wEk

Hope I put the right links in the right places.

Last edited: May 27, 2014
  27. AlexZimich

AlexZimich

Heres the Flamethrower for our game

Lots done! but lots left to do. We have a new trailer too

28. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

Looks nice, but I'm curious how it's held XD.
    It looks too heavy for rifle-style grip, but there's no carry grip for the left hand.

Eh, maybe I'm just being nitpicky though :p

EDIT: I'd probably throw some specular maps on it though. Take a look at TF2 - very light GPU wise, but they've got some pretty spec maps to make things look nice.

29. tweedie

tweedie

@lachadonan, phobicgunner I can see the grip under the barrel, but I think a bigger concern than weight would be how close your hand is to a flame/burning hot barrel. I wouldn't want to put my hand that close to something that hot! :) I think that, and the weight of a flamethrower, are the main reasons why they're typically held by a grip on the top of the weapon.

30. KC1302

KC1302

Last edited: May 29, 2014
  31. marcos

marcos

Clothing update:

Botanika and Rodolfo-Rubens like this.
  32. nasos_333

nasos_333

Some of the in game art created for Particle Dynamic Magic v1.2 release

Of course is more impressive in its dynamic form, when spline tentacles and wings move around and lava is flowing gently over the landscape :)

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  33. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

Finished the orc dude! 4.4k tris.

34. nipoco

nipoco

35. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@doxzerx2: How did you do them particles?!

Hi, My WIP at the moment:
    $Unity_2014_05_27_09_31_08_216.png

Game's called Knuckle Iron. Inspired by Super Smash Bros. this is a game that takes the 2.5D approach and puts it on a 3D plane, effectively turning this shebang into an open-world beat-em-up. pretty cool, don't you think? Will also feature items and special moves.

Since this is a WIP, the shading and lighting isn't finalized yet, and does need a bit of work. Feel free to give some constructive criticism! :D

Last edited: May 30, 2014
  36. mcunha98

mcunha98

37. bgivenb

bgivenb

38. tweedie

tweedie

Thanks very much, man! Means a lot :D

Should probably be doing some more revision for these last few exams.. but taking a break by doing some retopo on the arm. Trying to get the best edgeflow on the hands as I can (they usually don't turn out so well). Haven't optimised the upper arm or forearm yet though. Shame I don't have more time to work on this at the moment!

$8250b71a60.png

Link to the image if you can't see it (I can't): http://puu.sh/995CL/8250b71a60.png

Apologies if two images are showing for you, I've only inserted one.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 31, 2014
  39. Acumen

Acumen

hope to finally work on one of my beloved marble games :)
    Thanks to the help of awesome unity users on twitter I learned a thing or two about how to recreate this mockup as an actual level in unity. Awesome feeling to discover unity with my babysteps :)

balaam, PublicCape and Rodolfo-Rubens like this.
  40. tweedie

tweedie

Great job, Acumen! Your work always leads me to think of you as a modern Escher ;)
    You also have a talent with creating colour palettes, which I'm very envious of :D

41. mcunha98

mcunha98

balaam likes this.
  42. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

This looks good.
    Really good.

I'm a big time MM fan and I got to say, most clones suck because of their art style, or there lack of.

This is clean, elegant, and artistic.
    Bravo Zulu.

43. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

So today is modeling day for me (weekend is when I spend time honing my art skills instead of programming).
    I thought I would spend today working on PBR shading practice rather than actual modeling. Here's my attempt at a sort of beat-up, grungy iron material, displayed on a cube. Most of the detail here is in the specular and gloss maps (almost nothing in the diffuse, save for some very subtle dirt). Using Lux PBR framework.
    $V2Screenshot1.png $V2Screenshot2.png $V2Screenshot3.png

44. NomadKing

NomadKing

Looks very nice Acumen :)

45. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

@Acumen, thats awesome! Love the art style. Just like Monument Vally. Really eye catching that instantly draws the persons attention to it. Great job.

@Tweedie, very nice clean topology on the hand. Its coming out real nice. I think the retopo is the hardest part. Personally, I hated the retopology process because of how time consuming it is. Blender is great and my favorite but its re-topology tools are kind of weak imo. I would spend hours retoping various parts like head, face, body, etc. because of the time consuming process I haven't sculpted/retoped anything in a while. Now I prefer to poly model my characters and other 3d stuff instead. Everyone has their preferences and workflows though and I know the industry standard these days is more sculpt+retop, but for me poly modeling is faster and I feel like I have more control over the topology and keeping it clean. I know some people are really fast at retopologizing though but I take to long haha.

Ok so heres an update on my new project, I call it "Escape Ocean Zero" (the beach-looking game I have been posting about here for the past couple weeks)

So I am kind of taking a different approach with my new game now. I always end up liking to make my games kind of have this weird feeling in them. They start out normal but then I end up making them a bit darker/weirder/random creepy in some way, I guess its just my type of game dev style in the end. (like in Hide-n-Seek Winter, my most recent finished game there was frozen fish everywhere, creepy birds watching tv on a couch in the middle of nowhere, abstract level with a giant dog that chases you and so on. Theres weird stuff in my other games as well)

but anyway for my new project, I have been showing you screenshots of kind of this nice ocean type setting with nice yellow lighting and light colors and colorful objects like beach umbrellas, beachballs, rubber ducks, etc. Those were mostly just silly little random things. But now I am planning the actual game and I have a pretty good idea of what I want it to be, how it will play out, etc.

Now, I am aiming for a more atmospheric/surreal type style. The game is going to be a bit darker than what I originally had in mind.

Anyway, here is some screenshots of what the final game will look more like/what I am aiming for now:

The lighting is a bit darker/gloomy, the fog makes the ocean feel more dangerous instead of paradise-ish.

not a final level but just an "atmosphere" set up test. Later on I will show you more what I mean of weird/surreal type game. I can't really explain my stuff because its usually just random and weird stuff most of the time.

Also, did you notice the tiles? I decided to go for a more tile approach with level design instead of the various small islands I shown earlier. So I created tileable sand blocks which can be used more modular to let me create more varieties of different levels and more efficiently.

Kind of off topic, heres a new low poly character I speed modeled today in about 30 mins.

Still need to unwrap, texture and rig. Idk if I will use him in my new game project or not though.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
    AndrewGrayGames likes this.
  46. Acumen

Acumen

wow you guys, I can't tell you how much this means to me. I don't really have too many dreamgames I would love to have created but this marble thing is haunting me for years now. So you giving me all these positive comments really makes me a happy panda all around.
    Booster my motivation by thiiiiiiis much :)
    You are awesome !

47. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

This has got me on a little kick and I did a quick mock up. The best way to do the control, IMO, is to change the direction of gravity. Also, make sure to crank the gravity way, way up. It it set to -9.something when it really needs to be about -50. The physics engine treats the sphere as a 1 meter to 1 unit, but the thing needs to drop as fast as a 3-5 CM marble.

Do you want to make the marble move by tilting the phone, an on screen thumb pad, or sliding your finger across the screen multiple times?

48. Mihai93

Mihai93

49. AlexZimich

AlexZimich

Thank you, ill fix it by extending the barrel from burning hand distance :D

I've been sketching today, this is what i came up with,

looks like the in game guys, yes?

50. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

I love the tiled setup, very nice! Have you considered exporting the tile mesh from your modelling tool with rounded edges, instead of sharp edges, or would it look weird?

snowconesolid likes this.