Search Unity

WIP Small Works Art Thread

Discussion in 'Art Assets In Progress' started by Tim-C, Jul 26, 2012.

1. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Looks fantastic.The gas helmet is really well done with nice details. I can definitely see the bioshock influence here. Its a great sculpt, but retopologizing this to use in production for game or animation is going to be a pain. Don't know if thats what you ment by taking it further though. (I mean if you were planning on using it in production)

2. Rafael-Barbosa

Rafael-Barbosa

The anatomy is getting better every time, but the rendering is still very crappy, would anyone be able to suggest a good tutorial regarding materials and skin shading?

$58728f5301a6bc11e0b07821f93f2278.png

Attached Files:

3. tweedie

tweedie

Thanks for the kind words, Snow! :) oh and please ignore the back of the neck with the strange creases, I was still thinking of what I could do with that area, never got round to finishing it. Most of the neck is rough though (like the pipes) but hey- what's a speed sculpt for! Haha
    Luckily the actual mask won't need to deform, so the topology wouldn't have to be perfect, but I want to still do as good a job as possible. I'm very much looking forward to retopoing him actually! :D it's going to be a good challenge, but you're right there will be some tricky areas. The pipes around the neck might be problematic, we'll see! But most of it would be obscured by metal panels in the full model (I've since drawn a little sketch of the body). I was going to upload the sketch but I'm only with my phone right now and it's being a pain with uploading images.

@Rafael, I've watched some concept cookie tutorials and found them helpful, they have some free ones on skin, and I think metal and leather are also free. It's a good site regardless! :)

4. Rafael-Barbosa

Rafael-Barbosa

Thanks, I did not notice theese tutorials , they may be of good use to me :)

5. HolBol

HolBol

6. tweedie

tweedie

Wow thanks for those fishman, they're fantastic. Written tutorials are so under appreciated.

7. Xoduz

Xoduz

Some prototype art for the project I'm working on. I'm not an architect, so please don't shoot me for compromising the structural integrity of this building. :)

$The_Tavern_WIP_Anim_03_Small.gif

Rodolfo-Rubens likes this.
  8. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

@Xoduz, Thats was really cool! Great job man
    @Tweedie, I agree that should be a good challange. I look forward to seeing your final model. That would look pretty awesome in game. :)

Here is a set of palm trees I created for my new game project

I created a variety of three different palm trees to use so I can make my island scenery more immmersive :)

Game screen shot:

Also I created a variety of several different small islands to use.

In my next game project each level will be on a different island. I thought its better to make a bunch of small islands and then create multiple levels out of those instead of making one big island in one big scene.

I will have more info on my next game project soon. I am rapidly developing this one so I will post here often showing off the new stuff I make.

9. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

Can you show the wireframe/textures? Looking really good man.

10. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

I am working through this project fast. Completing a pretty good amount each day. I have added an ammo system. Every shot counts. Also, I decided to come up with a new way of displaying information like ammo left. I want to move away from the traditional on screen gui that is anchored to the lower or upper left part of the screen and display information in a much cleaner way. So I decided to have the ammo the player has left displayed floating on top of the players head. you see:

Once the player runs out of ammo the display will go away. I will also display other information like this in a similar fashion. Kind of coming up with my own gui style. I am not a fan of a lot of stuff on screen so I think its better to simplify gui. Do you like it? Or do you guys prefer to have gui displayed traditionally like anchored in a left or right position of the screen?

Thanks. Here are the wire frames for the palm trees

More info about the Trees:
    The Straight palm tree (Middle) (724 Tris)
    The umbrella palm tree (right) (904 Tris)
    The Hurricane palm tree (left) (904 Tris)

Here is the Texture map I created. Its a big one and as you can see the palm tree texture is just something I kind of squeezed onto there. I created this to texture several different island pieces I also modeled.

I think this is definitely going to be my best looking game project yet (I know I say that about all my projects but I really try to push the quality with each new game project). Plus I have learned so much and gained so much more skills in 3d and game dev since I first started making games around 3 years ago when I first came onto here. :)

11. tweedie

tweedie

@Xodus, Who cares about structural integrity, meh ;) Hardly important? Really cool, great job!

@snowcone, Thanks! I hope it will too :D Just started a cleaner sculpt yesterday, ready for retopo #2 hehe. Unfortunately you might not see it Unity... (I know blasphemer)

Great job on your trees/island/character! I really like the way this one's going - it has a good warmth in the colours :) Only thing that might be bugging me is the shade of blue for the water (contrasting with the yellow), but Unity's water always bugs me so I'd probably leave it as it is. Also, my only real crit is maybe the straight tree could do with a few less ring edge loops running up it, for performance sake. Hardly a crit, and if they're there to stop shading errors, that makes sense.

I actually kind of like seeing this :) It's true for almost all your projects, which is a great thing to see. It's obvious you're constantly learning.

12. virror

virror

Looks really great snowconesolid!
    Something i noted here is that you always had good looking chars but the rest of your models have not been even close of the same quality, but here it seems you have put more effort into all the other models too. And the style in this project seems very clean and same for all the models : )

13. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

@Tweedie, Thanks for the kind words :) I agree with you on the unity water. Its not great but I think it will do for this project. Im going to try and adjust it a little bit to see if I can get it to look a better. As for the Straight Tree, I did remove all the uneeded edge loops so its more optimized. Its slightly more low poly than the curved trees. And Im looking forward to seeing your Bioshock inspired model. The helmet on your other one was so cool.

@Virror, thank you as well for the kind words friend. :) I am definitely putting in a lot of effort into all the models while trying to keep a consistent art style through out the game.

Ok, time for more screen shots of what I did today.

So there is going to be rubber ducks throughout this game

Rubber ducks will be play an important role

You will encounter rubber ducks of all sizes, including giant ones

I am trying to keep a balance on working on gameplay mechanics and artwork. I realized in the past that some days I would spend a lot of time on mechanics and others I would spend a lot of time on art assets. This workflow made the game dev process feel boring and slow because I would not allow myself to work on graphics until the gameplay was completed at a good amount, or the other way around. Splitting up the two areas of work (Gameplay/mechanics and AssetCreation/Graphical Art) feels like a much more efficient workflow and more enjoyable.
    More soon.

14. tweedie

tweedie

Oh golly, I'm terribly sorry, I thought I saw extra loops, but after viewing the image at a larger scale, I realised they were just the bands on the texture :rolleyes: Oops! Loving the giant ducks.

As for my model, it'll be almost exactly the same as the sculpt, just cleaner and retopo'd and eventually textured (he says).

15. Ocid

Ocid

Wicked stuff Snowcone. Great to see how far you've progressed.

16. tweedie

tweedie

Thinking about how I see a lot of people improving on this thread all the time, I went digging to see if I could find my first post (I thought it was on this thread, but I couldn't find it) to see how (or a better question; if) I've improved over the last year.. but instead:

I found this! Just thought I'd post it as you're now working on palm trees again! ;) Quite an incredible improvement. Inspiration for any new artist. :D Keep up the good work.

$snowcone_improvement.jpg

I now wish the forums had a progress tracker system (far fetched idea I know) just to see how you've improved, maybe it shows you every 6 months or something.

17. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

:) haha oh god thats a hideous tree! Why did you have to bring this back to haunt me Tweedie!? Man thats an old one. And back then when I made that tree I felt like I created some kind of master piece or something, I even said "Realistic" in the description lol. Aside it from being hideous and not accurate to a real palm tree, I remember that tree is also extremely high in poly count and not good for use in game. But thank you for all your kind words it means a lot to me :)

As for your artwork, I always thought your stuff like game models, characters, etc always looked really good since I first started seeing you post around here esp that dinosaur-like character you have in your avatar. I remember when you posted that model along with another character model in this thread somewhere a while back.

I really like that progress tracker idea for the forums. I would love to see something like that implemented into the forums that tracks what changes users go through as they continue to post on the forums through time.

Ok so more on Rubber ducks in my game.

There will also be a variety of different colors you will find. Not sure yet but I plan on making each different colored rubber duck do something different/have its own unique trait.

These arent enemies or anything like that, but just misc objects you come across on different islands. The yellow (Default) rubber duck will be a common one

Edit: And thanks Ocid! :)

Last edited: May 17, 2014
  18. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

19. NomadKing

NomadKing

Thats a great model Khelton, lots of style and charm to it :)

20. tweedie

tweedie

@Snow, Mwhahaha ;) It's only a year ago! Very good progress. No problem, your enthusiasm and drive is commendable.
    Yeah, luckily I only really started posting on art forums after I reached a reasonable standard, though if I had my old laptop and pulled some pictures off there from 2 years ago... :? Hmm, let's just say there are some awful champagne bottle simulation renders from blender in there, and some rather crappy models.
    These are the oldest screengrabs I have available right now (it's quite fortunate I don't have access to anything earlier :) ). Not the worst, but I am glad things have moved on since then. I remember being incredibly proud of that cow. Makes me chuckle now.

$Screen Shot 2014-05-17 at 12.36.53.png $Screen Shot 2014-05-17 at 12.38.08.png

For some reason I used to be obsessed with cartoon cows when I first got into blender, I have no idea why and it's not an avenue of particular importance to me now.

I think that what I see with digital art is, providing you're constantly practicing, once you overcome the initial hitches (like Blender's interface) the learning curve is exponential, and you become increasingly better at creating art, at an increasing rate. This thread demonstrates this very well.

@Khelton Good job, man! Certainly gives the impression of derelict, will suit a desert for sure! :) Can't wait to see it textured!

Last edited: May 17, 2014
  21. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

Got a graphics tablet (YAY), most weird feeling when using it xD, gotta practice.
    First I did some quick sketches for an hour then practiced drawing straight lines.
    Then I made this.

Tell me what you think lol.
    Im very used to just using a pen or pencil and never shade so everything is a bit off ;)

22. mcunha98

mcunha98

23. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Your work is ridiculously sexy, a style I wish I could nail down. I love coming back here every few months to check up and to see all your stuff.

24. SiegfriedCroes

SiegfriedCroes

Just a character I once made :) Maybe one day I should try making a game in this style?

$Gerda.png

Here's a 360° turn around (use the left and right arrows keys to change the lighting)
    http://www.siegfriedcroes.com/gerda/

mouurusai likes this.
  25. marcos

marcos

26. virror

virror

Now that looks great! : D

27. Kellyrayj

Kellyrayj

Very pretty shader. And nice character design.

28. SiegfriedCroes

SiegfriedCroes

Thank you very much :D It's a mix of cel-shaded (with custom ramp) and rimlight ;)

29. mcunha98

mcunha98

Thanks man !
    Update texture:

30. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

@Tweedie, I agree 100% with you. Not just for digital art but for all kinds of art, if you are constantly practicing daily, going through a couple of lessons by professionals and expanding your knowledge in the subject you improve at a really rapid rate and the improvements show. I remember when I very first started using blender around 4 years back, I had no idea what I was doing or how to work with it. the whole interface was very intimidating and there was just so much stuff to learn. I had limited knowledge with working in 3d and that showed in my early models in terms of quality and the technical aspects. Over time after daily practice, months of learning and training (I owe a huge thanks to CGcookie because I spent so many months on that site going through every video tutorial I could, I learned so much about 3d from their tutorials) I have reached a level where I am satisfied with my 3d artwork. And I agree, this thread is fantastic because so many users that keep posting here really show how far they have come and its amazing. It prooves that no one is born with good art skills, its a skill you learn and improve at over time by practicing daily. And that cow head model is actually really good! :)

@Mcunha98, awesome low poly jack-o-lantern type character, I really like the textures on the face and shirt

@Marcos, as always fantastic sculpt. She is lovely. Is this one of your older sculpts but you changed the hair to sculpted hair?

Anyway, I am back with more progress on my new game project. I am trying to post daily about this project since I am rapidly developing it and hope to have it finished and released by the end of the month or early next month.

So todays dev screenshots!

The goal is to collect the rubber duck in each level. To complete the level

the first couple levels are going to be real simple and short. They are going to be more like tutorial levels where the player learns the controls. Then as you progress to other levels they become more complex, you have to do more to get the duck, solve puzzles, defeat enemies, etc. Its the type of game that keeps building up to more.

In later levels (like the third level) I will introduce the beach ball shooter to players. Before I throw enemies and other things at them, I will give them a short target practice level

The target practice duck will train you all about beach ball gun safety, how to use your weapon and how to properly aim.

(Low poly- only 188 tris per target)

more soon. It looks like I might just have to start my own dev thread for this game already since I am posting here very often. Once I get a playable webplayer of the first 3 or so levels and a video demo I prob will start my own thread (which will be really soon.)

31. marcos

marcos

@virror - cheers :~)

@snowconesolid - Thanks. I used a base mesh from a previous chick, but it's a new sculpt.

Edit - did a bit more:

Last edited: May 20, 2014
  32. FlorianSchmoldt

FlorianSchmoldt

that's hawt marcos !

Made a little marmoset skinshader test with a reduced version of a ten24 scan
    4k poly mesh, 2048 diffuse/normal 1024 sss/spec/gloss

webplayer

33. nasos_333

nasos_333

Made some art with the in game spline editing i created for Particle Dynamic Magic v1.2

Start and end states, after adding and manipulating spline nodes inside the game

I will add this feature to the current webplayer demo soon

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  34. Mister-D

Mister-D

$screen2.jpg
    programmed my buggy to drive around, its FUN
    $screen1.jpg

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  35. funkyboy

funkyboy

Hi,
    I used the model from "Shadow of the Colossus" to build a Unity version and practice lightmapping.

and two stereoscopic screenshots ;)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    Rodolfo-Rubens likes this.
  36. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

wow! So much amazing stuff on this page.

@Marcos, awesome character model! She is very attractive. Also Im really digging the bunny slippers XD I think this is the first time I see one of your fully bodied models. Usually its just the head sculpt. This looks great though. Are you going to retopologize this?

@Florian, havent seen you post in a while. As always that looks amazing. That skin, those wrinkles and details and texture are fantastic! I feel like I could just run my hand across his face and feel his squeshy aged skin.

@Nasos, really cool particle art.

@MisterD, looken really good and real cool. It reminds me of fallout. The screenshot of the car reminds of the driving parts in Jak and Dexter 3

Screenshot of today from my next game:

1 shot

So a little bit more info on my project. I made it so that levels are going to be short and small but at the same time there will be tons of different levels throughout the game. My goal is to create at least 50 or more levels for the final game. I can rapidly create a variety of different levels because im focusing a lot on reusing game assets. Its going to be a lot more modular than my previous games. Already I have made the first 10 levels of the game. The game starts out easy and then builds up on other gameplay mechanics adding in more challanges and so on.

Although I am reusing a lot of my game assets, I also want to introduce a bunch of other new things as the player progress such as different enemies, bosses and unique characters.

I will have my own dev thread up once I get a little further in, have more done, a video, etc. Also, I will put up the first 10 levels as a demo soon.

37. bgivenb

bgivenb

This came out nicely. Thought I'd share

$screen17.jpg

38. clearrose

clearrose

While, I got my waterfall working but I feel like I should add another layer with an other water texture behind it. I've also been playing around with the settings on the basic simple water that comes with unity pro and added my own animations (very small animations) and textures. But still allot of work to do !!

I'm very open to critiques on how to improve this :).

39. marcos

marcos

Cheers, dude!

That shader looks wicked! I really need to play around with it, care to share your settings?

Thanks! She'd be flattered, I'm sure.
    Yeah, I figured I should probably have something more complete on the portfolio. I will likely retopo it and maybe sell it on the Asset Store as an experiment. I need to arm her with a cup of coffee first, though.

As an aside...

Parasol is now available on the App Store!

http://itunes.com/apps/Parasol

40. bgivenb

bgivenb

Pretty proud of this one. It's 4:16 in the morning and I'm just finishing it up

$screen19.png

41. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

Ugh why'd you have to go and do that. Now I have to play it again. How'd you do that, anyway?

Been working on an orc to fight my knight guy:

42. funkyboy

funkyboy

Hi, did that because i'm fan of the game ^^ simple
    I used the dormin Opengl viewer to view and extract model directly from the ps2 disc, then clean up in Maya, then Unity

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  43. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

I know this is a small arts thread, but could you perhaps post multiple small props like this in one post? You're sort of spamming the thread.

44. nasos_333

nasos_333

Invasion Demo

Dark Forest Demo

Phoenix Flight demo

Play mode spline editor

Thanks a lot :), glad you like it

I post another pic that emulates a space formation (i have added motion for spline nodes to achieve the effect)

I am now working on an art demo that will try to recreate the atmosphere in Blade Runner and war of the worlds in a futuristic city

I will post pics as soon as i have finished the first phase

Also here is the webplayer demo that has the spline editor i used for the above effect for everyone that wants to try it out :)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/79230236/PDMv12_1/ParticleDynamicMagicv1.2_WebDemo2.html

EDIT: I also posted pics from the 3 demos to be included in Particle Dynamic Magic v1.2 update.

Invasion - Dark Forest - Flight of the Phoenix

Last edited: May 23, 2014
  45. bgivenb

bgivenb

No worries, I'll be sure to do that in the future. I've been learning a new texturing workflow, so the quality of my work has been improving quite a lot over the past couple weeks, and I was eager to get feedback.

With that being said, I don't think artists should be timid to post their work for fear of spamming up the thread. The whole point of having a 'Small Works Art Thread' is so that artists can put up quick screenshots of what they're working on to get a quick criticism. You shouldn't need to wait until you have a stockpile of art before you're allowed to post here. Being active in the forums shouldn't be considered spamming. This is one of my favorite threads to read through, and it's because of the laid back atmosphere that makes it so entertaining.

Last edited: May 23, 2014
  46. marcos

marcos

Did another pass, tweaked some things. Also, pores!:

47. funkyboy

funkyboy

That buggy looks so clean ! amazing oO
    you can drive it ?? no way xD can we try it out !! please :)

48. Mister-D

Mister-D

tnx funky!
    i need to tweak it a little more but when its done ill post a simple webplayer to drive around in

49. nasos_333

nasos_333

50. bgivenb

bgivenb

Looking amazing! Are you planning to use this for a game?