Search Unity

WIP Small Works Art Thread

Discussion in 'Art Assets In Progress' started by Tim-C, Jul 26, 2012.

1. mcunha98

mcunha98

2. _RC

_RC

New space exploration game I am working on:

$ksgu82ou.jpg

3. SiegfriedCroes

SiegfriedCroes

Looks really cool ;) Pixel art FTW! :D

4. Gatto_matto

Gatto_matto

Thank you very much! :)

I would like to make bigger and more detailed sprites. Usually I draw comics like chars. But in this case I succeed better with small characters. Less details but more synthesis ;) Don't know how many people prefer small ones. (Anyway atm I'm working on animations.)

:cool:

5. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

I am not a pro artist (my main discipline is programming), but I enjoy the old-school pixel art styles where you try to use as few colors as possible to create as detailed - and, easily animatable - image as possible. I usually work in small power of two resolutions (16x16, 32x32, 64x64), and rarely go up to about 128x128, because there's so many pixels to try to keep track of (256x256 is just flippin' crazy.)

There is also a pretty fair market out there for pixel art, it's absolutely not a dead art just yet. Many indie games go this route, because of how expensive it is to make good 3D, and some do it to leverage the retro game market.

EDIT: I've also done some more preparatory work for my miniaturized JRPG project. I'm building a castle city that will largely act as a prototype for the city building a JRPG needs. I'm trying to work out my kinks in a prototype before I commit to Gigi's 12 week challenge, and ultimately build a polished game.

I've got a ProBuilder hull for a main castle body there in the background, a la Dragon Warrior. I'm considering actually building my generic houses and stuff in Blender instead, since Blender gives me a little better control than ProBuilder.

Also: I'm out of practice with my tablet. Here's a reduced thumbnail that I did for practice...

$Eleanor Portrait.png

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  6. Gatto_matto

Gatto_matto

$drool.gif

7. Rafael-Barbosa

Rafael-Barbosa

Finally seeing some improvement on my concept digital art skills : )

$Angeroid (Shaded).jpg

8. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

Quaint fishing village?

9. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

woah awesome looking scene! The lighting and graphics look great. I really like the lighting on that knight character. Good work!

10. Gatto_matto

Gatto_matto

Hi guys

Well, here's my last work. Now I know pixel art is a hard work!

I mean, compared to 3d, it's a lot of work for every damned frame and the final result is difficult to tweak...

I don't know if it's worth the effort (not sure it's good English...).

$knight_slash_02.gif

11. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Been working on my pixel art and GUI setup a bit. Hopefully it's not too hideous, even at 480x320

12. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Your gui is looking pretty good actually. Its nice. Are you using unitys GUI to create it or are you using other tools like NGUI?

13. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Its the same UnityGUI wrapper that I used on The Hero's Journey. I made some slight tweaks in light of patterns I noticed were happening, and added a box class to my framework (yeah, years of refining this wrapper and I left out the easiest thing. Go me!)

As for the art its just a GUI skin with some images thrown in here and there.

14. Chris3Design

Chris3Design

15. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Very nice. I like the font on your text. Do gui objects ever move out of place for you when building for different screen resolutions? Thats a problem with unitys gui that I often experience in my own projects and I could never get it to adjust to different screen resolutions properly. I'v been thinking about trying other gui systems like NGUI but still on the fence. I keep hearing mixed things about it.

16. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Yeah, that's a big one, even with my relativistic positioning setup. Also, there are cases like GUI Textures, where it may not work properly (for instance, making a bitmap image bigger than its usual dimensions causes nothing to appear at all.)

I've been able to mitigate many issues, but not all of them yet.

17. Docm30

Docm30

I've finished my Medieval Sword Pack, which is now on the Asset Store.

Let me know if you think there's anything I can improve. Thanks.

18. Mister-D

Mister-D

nice swords docm30
    heres a cartoony character ive made, i call him "fast freddy" or maybe "rapid rudy"
    $fast freddy.jpg

19. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Working more on my item system.

$princess-5.png

Graphics glitch aside (yes, the Inventory view is somehow rendering behind the background translucent overlay), I'm working on applying some of my 'boring' knowledge of UX to the JRPG inventory. Pausing takes you directly to the Equipment screen, where you can view your stats and flip between phat loots. You can use consumables and view item info from the Inventory screen (the use part is coming soon.) For my game's specific feature (Heartstones), there will be a separate UI for working with those.

I'm trying to reduce how much like most JRPGs wind up feeling like being a warehouse manager, and allowing the player to focus more on the adventuring aspects, as those are what I want to play up.

20. Rafael-Barbosa

Rafael-Barbosa

$Silver Mage.jpg

Is this image dificult to read? I tried making his hands stroger and easier to read but the circles seem to hide them to much.

21. Mister-D

Mister-D

$zombiehead1_0089.jpg

Attached Files:

22. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

Preliminary spellcasting UI mockup:

23. Egidijus1231

Egidijus1231

Hey everyone. Im practising my texture skills and making some fantasy medieval weapons. Impressed by swords pack that was posted here few days ago. Actually my weapons are very low poly, targeting to mobile devices and web. All meshes and textures and optimised for mobile games. I plan to make a pack of assets. Waiting for comments. If someone interested i can make some weapons by request, because i dont know what people need, maybe bow's, wizards staff's, spears, shields or something.. :)
    Here first screenshots:
    $Untitled-1 - Copy.png
    $screenshot001 (2).png
    $screenshoat001 (2).png

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
  24. georetro

georetro

They look beautiful! Really well done :)

25. Egidijus1231

Egidijus1231

also some rocks created today Just in education purpose ;d 300 triangles
    $screenshot001.png

26. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

$Guard Aetho.png $Heart Aetho.png $Might Aetho.png $Mind Aetho.png $Truth Aetho.png

Some sprites for the progression of my JRPG project.

I'm going with a level-less design, to encourage exploration of the game world. You improve the powers of the Princess' Aethos - mystic stones that grant the powers to act beyond normal human strength - by finding Minor Aethos (pronounced 'ethos'), which charge the Aethos that Princess Eleanor finds in her journeys in Lorelle.

Each of the icons is the same as the Greater Aetho, and each has meaning; the golden aetho, or 'Truthstone' is based on an open eye, as you will find yourself able to improve your Truthstone's powers by correctly judging lies from truth, or from finding hidden passages in dungeons (in battles, the Truthstone grants the abilities to deal high magic damage to enemies who are using Guard effects, or inflict a damage over time status.)

The Mightstone, or red Aetho, is sort of a dual icon - not only is it based upon a clenched fist, you also see a sort of silhouette of a person, implying that lending your strength to others as well as facing down powerful opponents is a way to grow stronger. In battle, the Mightstone confers the ability to make multiple slightly weaker strikes, or a powerful single attack that can by pass Guard effects.)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  27. XGundam05

XGundam05

A test of some pixel art textures I'm putting together for a hobby project, meant to be reminiscent of a science facility or the like (just a couple walls and floors for now).
    $[Sci-Fi] Low Poly Facility.PNG

28. Mister-D

Mister-D

nice work xgundam
    heres a Orc im working on, the rig is done now its time to animate the bastard
    $render1_0089.png

29. Yanneyanen

Yanneyanen

Working on a small scene for my portfolio. Still a lot of work to be done, especially on texturing (a lot of placeholder materials in this shot); also need to model a couple of things (grass, maybe some small rocks and other small props).
    $Mini_003.png

30. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

^Im really digging the haunted looking scene yanneyanen. Especially great job on that tree. :)

its been a long time since I posted in here or since I worked on anything like a new character because I have been busy releasing my recent game "Hide-n-Seek Winter". So I decided to do a quick speed sculpt to kind of shake off that rust and get back into it.

just some random female head I sculpted, prob wont finish it or anything though. Soon I will start posting in here again as often as I used to and eventually begin working on my next game. Im just wrapping things up with Hide-n-Seek Winter. (Even though I already have it finished and released it almost two weeks ago )

31. pk_Holzbaum

pk_Holzbaum

I just started to practice digital painting. I bought my Wacom a month ago and this my first work, that took me some hours.
    Considering that I was never good at painting, I'm quite happy with the result. But there are still many things to improve.

$nathan_small.jpg

Can you guess who this is? :)

32. The-Spaniard

The-Spaniard

@Snowconesolid - nice! I just wanted to say that your art skills have improved exponentially since you first posted on here. Keep it up, you're an inspiration! :p

33. marcos

marcos

Getting better Samer! Keep it up!

pk_Holzbaum: Nathan Drake! :D

Had a burst of late night inspiration and did a sketch. Just shy of 2 hours on this one:

34. virror

virror

Good one marcos al always : )

35. VincentVanHoof

VincentVanHoof

Hey everyone!

Check out the first screenshot for our game Iron Star!

$Iron Star Screenshot 1.jpg

Feel free to check out our IndieDB page to learn more about the game!

36. marcos

marcos

Cheers!

Here's the timelapse:

37. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

@Thespaniard, thank you very much, that means a lot to me :)

@Marcos, thank you to you to sir. And I absolutely love your new painting. Shes hot and looks like she could make a great character for a tomb raider styled game :) I love your timelapses man.

So today I decided to finally start sculpting with a tablet instead of a mouse and I must say now I understand why tablets are recommended for sculpting. I feel like I have more control and can get better results because its more like drawing on paper to get nice strokes instead of trying to get decent strokes with a mouse.

I think this might just be the best human head I have ever sculpted so far!

still a wip, but I will probably make this into a full character and retop it for game use. I might just make this the main character for my next game. I already have an idea of what this character will be. more soon. Will keep posting progress on my sculpt.

38. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Heres an update on the character I started creating. I must say that this is possibly the weirdest character I have ever created so far.

I call him flower boy

I finished sculpting the entire character and already retoped it. The modeling is finished. I am going to start unwrapping and texturing next.

39. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

It is rather unique. It could be strange, and possibly your strangest. But, it's not truly, truly strange. Here's why I say that:

40. georetro

georetro

Attached Files:

41. SpencerPDX

SpencerPDX

Really like the moonlit atmosphere of this one. At first glance I thought it was a treehouse scene, which had me leaning toward the sentimental. But upon closer inspection, it seems a bit more sinister than that. :)

Looking forward to seeing where it goes from here.

42. mcunha98

mcunha98

43. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

haha, man its like you were with me when I was working on that flower character of mine. When I was working on it, I was thinking the same thing, "this is as weird as Tingle from zelda". My exact thoughts. I love tingle in the zelda series, was always one of my favorite characters because of his uniqueness. Im a huge zelda fan, Im guessing you are to esp because of your game "The Heroes Journey" which is inspired off of Zelda 2 for the nes.

Off topic, I just started playing A link between worlds on my 3ds, im loving it so far.

Anyway, I put my Flower character to the side for now. I will revisit him soon again and finish working him though. Like I said in an earlier post here on the small works art thread, Im kind of holding off on working on my next project for now because I am finishing up releasing my latest game "Hide-n-Seek Winter" (Its been done and released since March 6th, but I am wrapping up getting it on other sites, spreading it around, and what not. It just got published on IndieDB and will appear on Desura soon, also I might consider porting it to android) So even though the game is done and all there is still work to be done for it after it was released :)

Anyway, doing a little cross post from my showcase thread for the game here, but here is some of the art work I recently created to promote my game "Hide-n-Seek Winter". Its artwork I made around a little over a week ago but I'm just posting it now

This is the boxart/boxshot I created for the games profile on Desura and IndieDB:

This is the profile banner I created for my game to display on its Desura and IndieDB page:

And here is the most recent artwork I created. It was more of a personal render I created just to display on my blog/ personal portfolio in the art work section. Last work of art I will create for this game project.

I call it "purple", can you guess why? :)

but no more creating stuff for this specific project anymore. I soon want to finally move onto my next projects.

44. mcunha98

mcunha98

Very good...whicih brushes that you use ?
    I identify only Airbrush Hard

45. marcos

marcos

Thanks!

Was pretty much just a rounded square brush.
    Here's a close up, will be easier to see:

I need to find a way to record timelapses that is higher quality but doesn't either slow my computer down, or leave me with gigantic files that i can't open.

Also, did a splash screen for Parasol today:

:)

46. Darkcnix

Darkcnix

hey first post on the forums, been practicing hand painted textures over the weekend first time i have tried hand painting so any feedback would be good. Also they were speed paints, need to get into practice for the creative assembly game jam next week, 30-60 mins time frame.

SCFI Floor
    $SCFI_Floor.jpg

Stone Floor
    $Stone.jpg

Wood
    $Wood.jpg

47. tweedie

tweedie

Not entirely sure why, but I love this render. Assuming it's cycles? Lovely job with the lighting, very soft and appealing - and nice job on the bicycle paint as well. But why I'm really commenting is because I want to reach into my monitor and have a model of that main character, just as how he look there. If 3D printing in multiple colours was smoother and could have diffuse and glossy parts (maybe you can do this, but I'm just not aware) I would really love a model of him in that pose! :D Great job on the design, I love it.

48. mcunha98

mcunha98

49. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Dude, you've inspired me! That looks awesome!

50. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Thanks Tweedie! That means a lot to me. Yes I rendered this with Blender's Cycles engine. Im surprised you commented on the lighting, thats actually something that drove me nuts while creating this render. I was trying a bunch of different lighting until finally I reached one I was happy with (which is the one you see in the render) but you should of seen my first couple renders, some looked really dark or to light, the lighting was weird so it took me a while to finally create lighting I was happy with. I was going for a look to make them look like toys.

As for 3d printing, I believe you can have a matt finish and a glossy finish but I could be wrong. I never 3d printed anything myself but have always wanted to try it out. Someday I want to get into it and start printing out my own models as real life figurines :)

@Mcunha98, Really nice model, its so simple yet very appealing.