Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Small Works Art Thread

Discussion in 'Art Assets In Progress' started by Tim-C, Jul 26, 2012.

1. marcos

marcos

Quick painting to prevent rust. Aimed for 30 minutes, ended up going just over at 40ish:

You learn a lot doing super fast ones like this, I reckon!

2. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

So, in addition to pushing pixels, I also write music every once in a blue moon. For my next project - a sort of JRPG...sort of... - I've created some happy music!

Peaceful Day

I've grown to love my Viola soundfont.

3. SiegfriedCroes

SiegfriedCroes

Created a pixel art lighting effect in my game :D

$Lighting.gif

4. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

That looks pretty slick! How are you achieving that, exactly?

5. SiegfriedCroes

SiegfriedCroes

Using GetPixel, SetPixel and Apply :) I know those functions are quite slow but the resolution is only 320x180 so the framerate is fine :) Try it out yourself here: http://siegfriedcroes.com/landsoftreasure/

6. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Very nice! How did you get the 320x180 resolution to appear in a larger window, though? (It looks like it's something like 960x640 or something 16:9ish)

7. SiegfriedCroes

SiegfriedCroes

The resolution of the webplayer is 960x540 so that's 3x the native resolution. I'm not doing anything really special here, just using the new sprite system introducted in Unity 4.3, sprites imported with "Pixels to units" set to 1 and "Filter mode" point, an orthographic camera with size 90 (half of the 180, the native resolution's height) and that's about it :) When I make the resolution bigger, it still looks fine as long as the the scale factor is integer ;) So resolutions like 640x360 (2x), 960x540 (3x), 1280x720 (4x), 1600x900 (5x) and 1920x1080 (6x) all work perfectly :D But if you would try a resolution like 1366x768 (4.26x) it won't look good. Btw, to read all about my game, check out my topic linked in my signature :)

8. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Hey Derek, great use of the texture pack, and cool style!! I'd like to how this looks in-game. :3~

9. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

So, building some castle grounds. I hand-painted all of the textures.

$princess-1.png

10. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

$46409329.jpg

11. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

I haven't added the grass variant with pretty flowers yet.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  12. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Cool! Will you have 3D models in their or all 2D?

13. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

I will actually. I have ProBuilder for crating some of the artificial geometry (e.g. castle walls, the keep, houses). I havent decided what to do about those damnable trees though.

14. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

This looks fantastic! I love it. Excellent pixel work and cool light effect. Only thing, I thought those orange things were pumpkins not apples.

Very nice Asvarduil. Its looking great. The scene looks like it would be a rainy scene because it has kind of a damp, dark feel to its atmosphere. I think unitys toon shading would look pretty cool on your textures. And I see you have your next project in the works then? I like to see that. I like how you are keeping your style from "The Hero's Journey" to. Your pixel work is improving.

Great work guys! :)

15. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

I hadn't considered rain, but it'd work. The first chapter starts at a pretty bleak point in Princess Eleanor's life - her father has just died and willed du Aquitan Province to her (and, yes, I am basing this roughly off of the life of Eleanor of Aquitaine, one of the most powerful women of the Middle Ages, but with acceptable breaks as necessary to have something resembling a JRPG.) Her first thing is to assume the leadership of the province in record time, and that means overcoming the Trial of Reflection in order to obtain the Royal Crest.

Actually my style is inspired by TylerPerry's avatar (2D sprite on top of a 3D mini-planet). I'm fascinated by combining 2D and 3D in cool ways, even though some find it slightly off-putting (which, I can understand - I find Picasso works similarly off-putting, specifically as if drawn by a kindergartener high on acid. But, we're mostly adults so we can all agree to disagree...right?)

As far as the textures, the ones on the terrain I have no control over - those are just imaged hand-pixeled onto the terrain using terrain editor. I'm planning on experimenting with texture animation and shader work a bit this project though, if I find that I could use a particular shader effect.

Yeah, I'd intended to just boringly work on my JRPG framework - since, that's what The Hero's Journey showed me I had - but, I think it helps to have something concrete to apply it to. I started that project out as a prototype, too, and look how it turned out.

But, this isn't developed enough to count on yet. When I create an actual, standalone WIP thread, then and only then should it be hailed as a successor to The Hero's Journey. I still need to write that post-mortem when I have enough info...good thing I'll have enough data soon.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  16. SiegfriedCroes

SiegfriedCroes

Thanks man :D and yes, I know the apples are too big :p but all the graphics are wip ;) I just needed an item sprite so I quickly drew an apple that ended up too big but I didn't mind changing it cause it's a placeholder anyway ;)

17. Rafael-Barbosa

Rafael-Barbosa

Pretty awsome, loved the effect!

I have been training some pencil drawing, it has been pretty fun and to be honest, I have been really happy with the results but I still have a lot more to learn.

$Faces Composed.jpg

18. SiegfriedCroes

SiegfriedCroes

About your drawings, you're doing great! :D But please don't draw on line paper ;) You really don't want lines all through your drawing, even if it's just a sketch! :eek:

19. SiegfriedCroes

SiegfriedCroes

Already posted these in the topic of my game but wanted more people to see it, not just to show of my game but to tell you about my good friend who actually drew these:

$Characters.png

They are called Siege (boy) and Lena (girl) and are the playable characters in my game called Lands of Treasure. I did the designs but it was my friend Sarah Stowasser who helped me visualize them :D Check out more of her awesome work here!

20. Rafael-Barbosa

Rafael-Barbosa

hahhahaha Thanks, It's drawn on line paper because I drew it at school during classes ;)

I will do some tests on clean white paper next time haha, thanks for the tip :)

- Rafael

21. feloxy

feloxy

Second try at hand painting something. Gonna add some low poly grass and shrubs later on.

Attached Files:

22. Deleted User

Deleted User

shader test for animated grass ^^

2d texture (maybe useful for far distance view)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2014
  23. Mister-D

Mister-D

$commando1.jpg
    working on a sergeant character from ww2

24. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Small cross post from my current toon game project (See sig for link to my wip thread)

But since this is kind of off topic from my game I think its safe to post it here to.

Heres a screenshot I took using unity's specular shader and shadows at the highest resolution.

Of course, for the final game I am using the toon shading. I just was fooling around while working on a new scene.

25. clearrose

clearrose

Here's an update of one of my Wips, and a traditional drawing I just finnished.

#1: Amphibi-Bull:

#2; NO Berry WIP #7:

I added colors, at least started too. I'm still very ify on the color palette for his skin tone. Way too yellow for my tastes but, that could just be me.

26. HolBol

HolBol

It is rather yellow, maybe play about with the colour balance a little?

27. georetro

georetro

@clearrose I love your artwork and I actually like the colour palette you currently have for the second image :)

28. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Had some free time this night =D

29. clearrose

clearrose

@ Fishman92: Thanks Now I know it's not just me...

@ Georetro: Thanks, while I like the overall palette for the image I just don't like the skin tone on the male character in specific.

30. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Hello World! Ok so this is like the most basic of basic, but this screenshot is actually from my iPad.. I just became an iOs developer and got my first Unity app up and running! :) Momentous occasion!

$FirstiOsApp.jpg

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  31. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

That´s a great feeling : )))

32. Blacklight

Blacklight

I've been doing a fair bit of low poly modelling and had painting textures in school.

$rhys_swordshield_render_small.png

Edit: http://fav.me/d78b84w if it doesn't show.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  33. dreamhead

dreamhead

abstract modern architecture Wip

Attached Files:

34. Rafael-Barbosa

Rafael-Barbosa

Decided to go back and train some concept digital art , am getting really excited with the results!

$concept_art_of_a_snake_worm_by_rafaelbarbosa11-d78g6io.jpg

$first_canyon_envirement_painting_by_rafaelbarbosa11-d78g6c5.jpg

The image to your left is what I made a few months ago, the one to your right, is how I made it better in a few minutes.
    $shoulder plate comparison.jpg

35. HolBol

HolBol

Looks kinda like an environment that would fit a Half Life game. Looks great.

36. legacy-Games

legacy-Games

Legacy-Games first environment , we are a small games developer just starting up ,we are beginning to produce are first game , Legacy . Please give feed back and if you want to know more and see more just say $legacy-Games beauty map.jpg

37. dreamhead

dreamhead

a new vid

38. Docm30

Docm30

Here are some swords I'm working. I've already improved the textures since I took this image, but I couldn't be bothered to take a new one. The blades especially have been improved (they're a bit rubbish in the image).

These are for my first jab at selling something on the Asset Store, so wish me luck.

Attached Files:

39. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Cool! Thats what I like doing as well. This is a picture of a old version of my game:

$1.png

40. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

nice!

I love this retro style!

Remember you were going to do a game maker? It would be awesome to make a tiled based editor to make worlds like that!

41. legacy-Games

legacy-Games

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  42. HolBol

HolBol

43. legacy-Games

legacy-Games

Hi fishman92 , thank you for pointing that out , and we are posting it' into the forums to try get people interested .

44. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Yeah, thats actually the plan. Once my current game gets going strong I might start writing a GDD for the game maker. The main issue is that I want it to be awesome from the start and some of the stuff is kind of hard.

It would be pretty cool just to make a world editor though.

45. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Cool! It is pretty ambitious but it could be done! I would love to make quick little games and share them in my phone :3

46. mcunha98

mcunha98

47. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Yeah, my idea is that the editor and player is free but then their is an asset in the asset store that can build your game in Unity and actually publish it like a normal game, I'm thinking that this asset would be something like $25. Also potentially having IAP that are different tile sets, but I'd rather they be free.

48. Gatto_matto

Gatto_matto

Hi. I'm still trying to decide which art style to use...

At the moment I made this pixel art inspired by Asvarduil's Hero's Journey, but usefull for every medieval or fantasy game.

$test05.gif

49. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Ooo I like your style. Very nice! It looks way better than mine. :(

50. Gatto_matto

Gatto_matto

Hehehe! I'm glad you like my style (but maybe the chars' legs are too short)... And I'm sorry I made you sad ;). Actually I think I'm an artist. My best game is a boring abortion ;)

Instead you DID make games! :cool:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014