Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Small Works Art Thread

Discussion in 'Art Assets In Progress' started by Tim-C, Jul 26, 2012.

1. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

I can only imagine going to the Blender Conference. :p Speaking of Blender, try out the new tabs yet?

2. FlorianSchmoldt

FlorianSchmoldt

Yep. I often use it on my characters. Especially since they are nearly all using the same basemesh/UV-Layout, which obviously leads to a lot of stretching, making it hard to keep a pattern in scale or proportion.

It's always great to hear that blender became such a powerful tool. 3dsMax is still a fantastic app but didn't improve much since 2009 and I don't like the whole direction they are aiming at. More visualisation, less realtime + cloud based everything.
    I think its just a matter of time for me to join the blender club :)...Probably. I'm a little bit afraid to learn a new 3d-package. It's just like languages. Once you learned one and feel comfortable with it, it gets even OMFG DRAGON OUT OF NOWHERE !!!

Highrez

3. clearrose

clearrose

GEEZ, this is awesome !! The blocky look is kind of cool looking.
    ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

While, Here's a few things I've been doing.First is a sculpt for one of my classes. It is stilll in a very rough stage and I've got allot of work too do on it yet.

Below that Is some Tillable textures for my game.

#1: Fantasy Big Cat WIP:

#2: Tillable Grass:

#3: Tillable Dirt Path:

4. nipoco

nipoco

I did a rough run cycle of a pizza boy, for animation practice.

$Pizzaboy Side.gif

5. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

$TQh3uhb.png
    Late night pixel work.​

6. tweedie

tweedie

Ha, I do like your sense of humour! Awesome dragon

I really don't like the idea of cloud based stuff, I'd prefer to know where my work is, and have it on my desk :). I'm worried about learning 3DS Max- this is why I got the educational editions so I could learn it a bit before I get taught it. I've used it a bit, but it seems so unintuitive, but that's just my blender background showing through :D (I don't like button-based programs, it's very slow; I prefer almost all the focus on good hot keys, which I'm yet to learn with Max)

I would probably say it's a good idea to keep dabbling in blender before switching, rather than moving over to it entirely one day. Blender has quite a steep learning curve - mainly because of the UI barrier. However, it does seem somewhat logical once you get used to it. Although they are changing that at the moment, with a new UI team. And people complain about the 3D cursor, but that soon becomes your best friend :D
    Blender will only become more powerful; what with such a wonderful community.

Speaking of which- they're making an entirely open, feature length movie, just with open source software! :D "project gooseberry". I hope they get a good story for it. Anyways, enough of blender-thusiasm, I'm sure it's irritating ;)

And Khelton, yeah I have! They're slowing me down a bit at the moment if I'm honest, purely because I need to learn where things are again now, but it's definitely a change for the best :). Much more organised this way. How are you finding them?

---

Nipoco - love him! Great sense of weight and very characterful!

Tony - awesome, very reminiscent of Fez!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  7. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

@Florian, wow even your low poly simple characters have a lot of style and appeal! You look like a badass as a low poly model :)

@tweedie, I think Blender will be the greatest 3d software around someday (personally I already feel like it is). I absolutely love it and it is becoming more and more powerful daily. The developers behind it are amazing and they constantly integrate the best new features into blender. I think it definitely holds up against some of the big boys in the professional industry like zbrush, 3dsmax, maya. And I believe that it is being more accepted into the professional industry these days, I also would love to go to blender conference someday. Also, Blenders paint system is great and powerful. Its perfect when combined with a gimp/photoshop workflow. I hope your university teacher is a cool person and says he/she will teach the class with blender. haha :) (Ok, i am obviously a blender fanboy)

@nipoco, love that 2d animation of pizza boy. Really good job!

8. Micah_Rogers

Micah_Rogers

So much cool stuff on here!

I've been really busy with work :/ and haven't done anything in ages!

So to get the ball rolling, I painted a quick daemon person face. Not to great and lazy... I got a long way to go to get back :p

$Deamon .png

9. mcunha98

mcunha98

10. FlorianSchmoldt

FlorianSchmoldt

Thanks man! Yeah, From jesus to badass. I can walk over blood, turning bread into beer. Splitting virgins, giving them to the poor.
    All the hot S*** jeezus did :D

11. SiegfriedCroes

SiegfriedCroes

Looks awesome :D A bit of a mix between Fez and Sword Sworcery ;) Really love pixel art ^_^ Currently making a pixel art game :D See my signature ;)

12. nickavv

nickavv

Some animations and fun stuff with my character for my new game

13. koffeinvampir

koffeinvampir

If you want to see absulute crazy morphing in action:

I have talked to these guys and seen it in action. The models do actually have the exact same polycount and very similar topology, so the morph looks very cool.
    It is an amazing piece of work, pretty simple for code and ultimately hard on design.

14. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

@Florian: I would love to see a game with that sort of graphics!

15. HolBol

HolBol

I'd love to know how to go about doing this. I'm assuming a shader that blends between two textures based on a value, a script to control that, and one model that uses blendshapes?

16. FlorianSchmoldt

FlorianSchmoldt

Giana Sisters is indeed beautyful. There's a demo on Steam. Absolutly worth checking out. Even if its not about the morph tech. But I'm still wondering how they did that secondary jiggle anitmation on top of it..

Thanks I was trying to keep it more abstract but it ended up more realistic than I wanted it to be. Pretty hard to reduce myself :D
    The fantastic Kentucky route zero might have been a good reference. Epic broken tale...somewhere here in the forum has great retro style art as well.

17. Rafael-Barbosa

Rafael-Barbosa

@FlorianSchmoldt
    I tried to texture it using blender's texture projection paint, and I'm actually pretty happy with the results considering how easy it was to texture this big bull :)

$WIP Render 5 Composed.png

18. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

I'm not sure what'd be the most optimized way to do it... but I guess instead of just Lerping between morph values, they used a spring-effect approach for the morph value... kind of like a SmoothDamp, but allowing it to overshoot.

The current morph value could follow the target morph with a script similar to this:
    Code (csharp):
    1. velocity += (target - current) * Time.deltaTime * springForce //Add a "force" towards the morph target.
    2. velocity = Mathf.Lerp(velocity, 0, Time.deltaTime * damp); //Damp the velocity.
    3. current += velocity; //Add the current morph value the velocity.
    Fantastic Kentucky Route Zero looks very appealing, although for some reason I like your version better, with the low res texture on top of the hard minimalist polygon shading!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  19. Deleted User

Deleted User

base texture in photoshop, details are vertex painted

20. FlorianSchmoldt

FlorianSchmoldt

Ah! Glad to hear it worked out. It's very dark for a toonish character. I liked the initial colors. Making him a bit brighter would allow to add more shading to describe his shape. Pronouncing his sexy bull muscles etc but beside that, great work ! :)

Thanks :) I like Kentucky Route Zero for its great blend between its hard lit/unlit toon shading and texture. I'm not sure where to go with it but even if it looks good in a still, I don't like that the shading is already that static by its texture.

About the morph/flex thing...I have no idea about code but it looks legit :D
    I wonder how it can be optimized at all. Sure, its a huge game mechanic and will have its resources but the whole screen and all the objects are changing. And there are a lot of them.
    Might be that all the animations are baked down...which will definatly be heavy on RAM. Especially because you can't simple rewind it, to go back to the original shape.
    Or its indeed realtime jiggling...which is most likely expensive on the gpu. Whatever it is, they did a great job

...and here's a 30min photoshop penis candle. I have no idea what I'm doing :)

21. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

I want these around my house when the power goes out.

22. FlorianSchmoldt

FlorianSchmoldt

fire protection specifications claim that penis candles aren't very safe but if you keep an eye on them, until power is back on, everything should be fine :D

23. clearrose

clearrose

A quick post of another Tileable Texture for my game, this time it's some rocks :). Next I think I'll do some snow and ice for the mountain ranges. Then make more environment assets :) !!

24. ScottyB

ScottyB

25. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Posting a little update from my game projects wip thread here. I havent posted any of my work in this thread in a long time so I think its ok. :p

But I made a new original character for my game and I like to share my new characters in the small works art section so here it goes.

introducing
    "The Hiding demon"

info:
    The hiding demon is a very toony, stylized demon type character with a lot of personality. He is known as the king of the game hide and seek because he cleverly hides in various areas when playing. He doesn't like fish because he had a bad childhood experience while on a fishing trip with his father. He can perform various tricks such as grow or shrink his body parts such as his head or hands.The hiding demon lives in the "Infinite snow world" (where the game takes place) and is the main villain of "Hide-n-Seek Winter"

for more info check out my thread for this game project. Link is in my sig, and in the description of my hiding demon character :)

26. FlorianSchmoldt

FlorianSchmoldt

HA ! I knew it ! :D That jiggling looked exactly like 3dsMax's flex modifier. Thanks for the info !

The neverhood. Great game and cool style...back in the days :)
    I would love to see a modern realtime version with such visuals

27. ScottyB

ScottyB

No problem. I was a Kickstarter backer and remember reading that post ages ago and thinking it was pretty damn cool.

Have you seen the Armikrog game that was Kickstarted and is currently in development? It's by the same developers of Neverhood. Link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/armikrog/armikrog

28. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Hey guys... decided to post a quick test that I have been working on for getting realistic skin inside of Unity... I am using the Pre Intergrated Skin Shader that is on of the asset store. Right now, there is no specular map or roughness maps on the skin. And the diffuse map is still very basic...though in real life skin is very plain. I wanted to focus on the scattering and skin softness... still more to do... including a detail skin pass :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bxy0az6othti6kb/Aiko_SkinShaderTest.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  29. Rafael-Barbosa

Rafael-Barbosa

I like him , he looks cool, but his hands seem a bit bigger than the rest of the body, also a bit stretched. but his head is looking great hahah.

Thanks, I will do some tests regarding making him brither, also, about the muscles, I have a pretty good normal map applied, but I can't seem to understand how to make it render on blender.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  30. FlorianSchmoldt

FlorianSchmoldt

something I did for the facebook daily spitpaint 30min challenge. Topic: Surrounded by paperwork

LA Noire style

31. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

@Rafeal, his hands are purposely too large. His power in my game is his ability to grow or shrink various parts of his body such as his hands, head or feet. In the game you will see him grow and shrink his hand as well as his head.

Big head

I am doing this to establish this comedic personality for this character. He is the main villain in game but I want him to also be likeable. And thanks. I spent the most time working on his head and face. I believe that is the most important part of a character. His face isnt animated, so I wanted to create a face with an expression that is the first thing your attention is drawn to when you look at the character. :)

@Florian that looks excellent. Before I read LA Noire style that was the first thing that popped in my head when I saw this. You nailed the style perfectly and 30 mins to create such a nice painting is some real skill man!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  32. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

Was gonna say, very Noir like. Reminds me of a game idea I had awhile back. Oh man.

33. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

34. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

So, I'm pixeling again...

$Woman - Down.png

Just some base lineart for a generic female character, that I colored in. No animations yet, because I need to find some plugin for GIMP that helps with sprite animation.

Edit - Actually, I started playing around after posting this, and I think I may be onto something without any plugins. Since it seems all sprite work is done by layers anyhow, that sort of led me to a more organic animation setup.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  35. Uks

Uks

just a magic pixel land... click for full size

36. Uks

Uks

37. marcos

marcos

Uks: That is incredibly cool! More!

38. Uks

Uks

Video, unfortunately, not good quality, and loose original pixelation.. so just look at the screens

I'm still working on shader at this moment... already now it is shownig good potential.
    Here some other old-game VGA-emulation screens of that forest. click for full size

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  39. Micah_Rogers

Micah_Rogers

Attached Files:

40. TheGraficalOne

TheGraficalOne

I don't have a video yet, but here is a little screen.shot of a game I'm working on.

$Screen shot.PNG

It is just a little project experiment with the new unity 2D interface. I'm trying t o give it a hand painted aesthetic.

41. Ocid

Ocid

@Uks: Amiga one is glorious.

42. Deleted User

Deleted User

Recently started to work on a major game project for my current course. I'll need all the time I can get, so I re-used another character asset of mine and improved some things like topology.

Meet Vel, a special courier tasked with delivering mail and packages to neighboring cities past bloodthirsty monsters. Peppy, adventurous and enjoys helping out when needed. She immediately jumped at the opportunity to sign up as a courier, because she gets to do two things: see other people become happy with her good deeds, and mess with every aggressive wildlife monsters she can come across.

$ScreenCap.png

mouurusai likes this.
  43. Uks

Uks

thanks guys, a love amiga too. will work on it

44. Dennis_eA

Dennis_eA

I'm working on my company's logo .. and I need some input.
    That "ball" is a tree, with a road underneath. (For everyone who does not know the term "apex" from the motorsports.. :roll eyes:)

Attached Files:

45. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

I like it! I would make the trunk slightly thinner. And maybe have a slow scrolling background for videos? Looks good my friend!

46. Deleted User

Deleted User

rmb for full view

what do you think? it tiles horizontally

47. TheGraficalOne

TheGraficalOne

Looks Interesting! :)

48. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

I've been working on a modular fantasy/medieval village construction kit for my game because I wasn't happy with any on the asset store for my art style. The one pack I was happy with was pushing 20-25k tris per house and that was never going to work for me.

All the textures are from either origin's handpainted texture pack or handpaintedtextures.com; I just made a bunch of simple geometry to snap together.

Here's a church:

49. Inmatic

Inmatic

Cave Entrance

Hope you like it ;)

50. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Yay! UMA high poly models =D