Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Small Works Art Thread

Discussion in 'Art Assets In Progress' started by Tim-C, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Duskling

Duskling

Great point! Thanks!

I will check all of that out later! I have actually deconstructed all my pieces into single files and I am working on building a level using the Snapping in unity. I hope it fixes the issue with the cracks.

I don't quite understand what you are talking about with the lightmap shader.. Do I bake it on each of the individual pieces in blender or do I bake it in unity? If I baked each individual peice in blender, I think the lightmaps would end up looking strange because they were mapped individually.

2. hellraizerhhh

hellraizerhhh

One word, badass

P.s Ok maybe more words. Lighten the color, bit too dark to really enjoy the model and details

3. HolBol

HolBol

Another painting by me. That's my second so far. It's not dark enough yet, I don't think, though.

4. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

Awesome!

5. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

+1 this is simply amazing... and looks realistic

6. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Decided to take a break from modelling characters and work on something cooler... and what is cooler than practising with shadowbox. Here is a desert eagle for my character model... it will only serve as a prop... still needs to be worked on:

$DEagle.jpg

Some earlier progress... took some time to get the shape right in shadowbox... and those hours of Max Payne really paid off... the in game model will be about 1000 tris if i can manage it... it will be non functional

$Desert%20Eagle%203.jpg $Desert%20Eagle%204.jpg

7. Duskling

Duskling

Looks great :D

8. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Thanks man... I need to polish some of the elements...particularly the trigger guard and the slide... i am going to enjoy getting this into Unity... especially with a real time shader

9. Farfarer

Farfarer

Fun stuff, looks good if a little blobby. Nice work for ZBrush.

Although I never really understand why folk do hard surface stuff in sculpting apps :p

10. janpec

janpec

I personally suck at hardsurface Zbrush stuff, but if you get really good and familiar with clip brushes, you can do amazing things 10 times faster than with any other 3d app. And not just that its faster, clip brushes always push all polygons toward edges, where in edges there is very high denisty of polygons and it makes it easy later for sculpting scratches on edges., with 3d app you have to manually add subdivisions or cross-sections to get higher edge density.

If you check out tutorials from Scott Spencer you can notice that he is in realtime working very fast, there is no way to make that fast results in max for example. It is true that he is one of best Zbrushers out there but still doesnt change fact that you can get very fast with clip brushes.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  11. Farfarer

Farfarer

Yeah, I know it can be done I've seen some impressive results... but I still think folk are mental for doing it.

modo all the way for hard-surface ;)

12. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Thanks so much man... I am still getting used to it... :) But it is fun for me too... call me sadistic

13. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Yup... this gun would have taken me weeks to do in a 3D app like Maya or XSI... did this gun in 2 days (took breaks to do other S***)...would have taken me 4 hrs if I knew shadowbox.

Near finished result... meet "Christina" (yup, I gave it a name)... just gotta remesh it for the game, looking to aim for 1000 triangles for the whole thing...and it will only be a prop.

$Christina.jpg $EagleDesertPIstolDetail.jpg $EagleDesertPistol1.jpg

14. Priske415

Priske415

A little bit of what Ive been up to

Also rebuilt my portfolio.

15. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Lately I have been practicing making more realistic game models ever since I realized that the models in my recent game Moonlight Mountains: First Discovery were pretty bad looking. I have made a virtual museum that has my recent work in it with unity. so if you want you can check it out. You just walk around in it.

Try it Here (dropbox)

the text got a little messed up so here are the controls:

Move with arrow keys or WASD
    While walking, hold the space key to run
    press z to change clothes
    press x to change camera view

also I forgot to add a spawn point thing, so if you fall off from the platform you will have to refresh the page.

The character in the prototype is named Oswald (for no reason) I made him for a new game project I was going to work on but then decided I should improve a little bit more on my 3d modeling first.

Oswald Final model

Oswald Early

16. AnvilHouse

AnvilHouse

Here is another scifi-esque mesh. Still workin on sharps and texture. I have kind of been sidetracked as of late cause I am working on a Optimus Prime Suit for a friend for next years comicon.

17. Priske415

Priske415

Your really going to want to get some references. Just put one of your characters next to a picture of a real person and notice all the differences.
    a couple good references for you
    male

Female

IT also looks like you dont have a very good understand of edge flow, check out the polycount wiki its seriously just jam packed with info on this stuff. - Character Topology

Best of luck, keep at it!

18. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

As said elsewhere - I'm not the best student of 3D Modelling/Art.

However, two things that might help:

1) Consider your lines.
    Right now, your character looks (sort of) like they were designed in a box. That might work for pixel art, but for 3D, I've found that's not such a good idea. Look for some screenshots of Final Fantasy IV for NDS, or even character models of Mega Man X. Notice how "dynamic" the lines are - the character tends to be more narrow at one end than the other (e.g., the FFIV characters are well-defined at the top, but miniscule at the bottom; X has big feet, but a normal-sized head). This would help you, because you'll get a slightly-ludicrous look to your characters, but it will make them dynamic.

2) Space between the legs
    Guys tend to have a wider space between their legs than females do, but even then, no space is that wide. Better still, consider redesigning the lower torso of your characters. (Again, find some references. I don't think anyone expects you to be modelling photorealistic characters immediately - though bonus points if you do - but using some refs will at least make your characters more believable.

19. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

excellent advice guys!
    Priske415 those are great references to use! I have been using references of male and female game characters for the models Iv been making but they where not really good. These are perfect and should help me a lot. They are much more realistic than what I have been using (each of the references I used previously had more of a certain style from the person who originally drew it so sometimes areas would be more exaggerated),
    So thank you for those, I will check out the poly count wiki.

Asvarduil, the first thing I noticed and did not like in this model was how much space there was between the legs. The reference I was using had the legs in this type of pose, so the character wasn't really standing straight. I used a different reference and ended up with this

It is a really low poly model, but I think looks a bit more proportional than my previous one. The height might be a little exaggerated though

20. primaerfunktion

primaerfunktion

I cant give you any advice as im pretty new to 3d modeling too, but... damn... this demo here is scary as hell with all those awkward emotionless faces and incomplete bodies. :D

21. Schlumpfsack

Schlumpfsack

needed a break from the sci fi modular set (sometimes i need distance from a complex thingy) and fiddled around with a modular rock-wall-piece.

i also downloaded Strumpy's yesterday and i have to say i have mostly no f******* idea how shaders work, but i managed to put a shader together that will allow you to use a tileable diffuse stone texture, a tileable normal map for the diff, an unique AO map with specular informations in the Alpha and a normal map fitting the AO map.

i guess the shader is horrible for performance but it was nice to fiddle around a bit :)

i used Blender, Sculptris, gimp and xNormal to make this rockwall piece. not AAAAAAAAAA+ quality but free stuff can do the job (if i would be a better artist, it would look great :p )

$rocksNshader.jpg

Webplayer

Edit:
    Stupid me, forgot to add my shader.
    This community gave me so much, so i can give back some crappy shader :D

View attachment $Rock AO Shader.shader

22. Priske415

Priske415

Well this looks considerably better then your first characters, but still some major anatomical issues. do you have your reference art set up inside of your 3D software? front side and back

23. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

thanks primaerfunktion! im glad you feel that way about the that little prototype I posted. Actually my next game, I was planning on making a horror game. the faces where going to be some props in the game. But I was not happy with most of the models I have created because I want them to look much more better, so im holding off on that project until I improve a bit :)

and yes Priske415, I always usually have some type of reference setup in the background on my modeling tool (I use Blender) front side and back, I split the view so I can model from front and side, I never really bothered with the back though because I thought modeling from the front and side just kind of automatically set up the back. I have been using blender for a bit of time actually and am familiar with some of the tricks for 3d modeling but I never really attempted to create more realistic professional models so I feel like its time I evolved a bit.
    I took a look at your profile link thing you have in your sig and im jealous :) Your models are incredible! I mean you can do it all, realistic characters, toony exaggerated characters. I hope I can become that good at modeling some day. Very inspirational. Since we are on the subject, do you have any tips for creating more realistic textures like the ones you have made on your website for your models?

24. jorisshh

jorisshh

Some Helios gameplay footage, the multiplayer is still buggy we're working on this.

If you like to see more check out our site at http://www.helios-online.net

25. StormGamer

StormGamer

mario (WIP)

26. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

Awesome! Reminds me of the Mario 64 days (which I loved)!

27. diegzumillo

diegzumillo

Nice Mario :)

How do you plan to make his eyes? texture, direct modeling or something else? An easy alternative would be floating black balls, doesn't require complex topolgy on his face or complex texturing, and you can animate them easily (squishing and stretching etc)

By the way, you might want to plan his polygon density a little better. His feet could use another row of edges to make it rounder and his nose and mustache could live without a few polys.

28. janpec

janpec

Spinosaurus.

29. virror

virror

Very good looking, might need a bit longer tail to be able to stand up. I wish i had you on my team, always superb models ; )

30. janpec

janpec

Virror thanks for pointing it out, now that i see it it defenetly needs little longer tail.

31. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

HOLY COW! Man, this is quality.

32. The-Spaniard

The-Spaniard

@Janpec, I love your creatures - they are exceedingly well done, and have a consistent, recognisable style too. Could you show us a wireframe and texture atlas sometimes please?

@Priske - Papa punch presents plentiful power. A lot of character, nice :)

Oh, and I've finished the retopo of that statue, just baking maps etc, and finishing those girders, and some screenshots will be put here.

@diegzumillo - that concept is great - makes me think of an art-deco Deus Ex: HR. As for the weird leg folds, I think that that shot, combined with Blender's default material shader made it look odd. I used pictures of myself in that pose (I have an arabic robe) for reference, so the folds are correct. Ish :p As for the hands, I kinda agree, but then it has to look good both holding and not holding the cube. Currently I think it's an ambiguous gesture, could be presenting/welcoming/invoking, which is what I'm aiming for (ambiguity).

@TehWut: Thank you! :) Well, I have a few weeks coming up where I'll be working solidly on my game - maybe I might even start a WIP thread. So I imagine you'll see more soon :p

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  33. StormGamer

StormGamer

i have already done the eyes, and i used a simple texture which brought great results!
    im currently texturing the body , when i finish it ill post a screenshot :D

34. imump

imump

Very early development screenshot.

35. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Looks really nice!

36. FlorianSchmoldt

FlorianSchmoldt

Still very WIP and the cloth needs more detail but you really shouldn't look at him !
    And he shouldn't be looking at you !

...DON'T LOOK AT HIM !!!

37. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

It's better to use area lights instead of emissive materials in beast (will take a bit more setup work). They result in better lightmaps :)

38. janpec

janpec

Florian very stlylish work, is that Vray render?

@TheSpaniard here you go:

Now that i look at bare model, i noticed that feets were too small, and legs little too short, i have to correct that too.

39. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I should try area lights... I've been using Emissive materials on some of my models, and while it looks good, i could use some extra punch in my illumination...

40. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

freaking epic, man!!!

41. StormGamer

StormGamer

Finished my mario! :D

this is what he looks like

what you guys think?

42. diegzumillo

diegzumillo

Looks awesome!

New to modeling, I assume. Not bad :) Are you familiar with the concept of smoothing groups? It's what makes those hard edges along his legs and feet (also visible on his right arm). Find out how to work with them in the software you're learning and you'll get better results!

43. Christiaan

Christiaan

Amazing work janpec, i was wondering though do you paint your textures in 2d or 3d?

44. janpec

janpec

Thanks Christiaan, actually UV map of that dino is nothing special, quite lot of free space, it was just hard to fill it more due to shape of model.

As for textures I paint them mostly in 3d but also in 2d, especially in models (for example fish or more complex models) where you cant reach certain space of model, Mudbox 2d painting comes very handy. So what you can do is just simply click "flatten to UV space" and you dont paint on 3d model anymore but rather on 2d UV space like in Photoshop, with one huge advancement, which is that you get shaded preview with normal map and specular applied. For anyone who is still very much attached to 2d painting this is nice transition from 2d to 3d painting, or you can only use 2d painting which in my opinion is much better than Photoshop becouse you can see shaded areas without endless switching from Photoshop to 3d software. Now there is almost no need for Photoshop anymore, there has been new feature in Mudbox added recently which allows turning any color map into normal map, so you dont even need Photoshop for that.

45. FlorianSchmoldt

FlorianSchmoldt

46. StormGamer

StormGamer

ty diegzumillo , im going to take a look :D

47. janpec

janpec

Brontosaurus / Apatosaurus.

48. Priske415

Priske415

Some motivation for all the young artists out there

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  49. Micah_Rogers

Micah_Rogers

Haven't posted in a long while.

Thought I would give a small peek into what I have been up to in the last month, just some of my shrubs.
    Can't show off to much to quickly ;)

Textures are always WIP as I change them all the time untile im happy (and im never happy).

I will show off more when I get things ingame and working and create a thread in the next 2 to 3 weeks (hopefully, depending on how things go.).

can't wait to show off my criters ;)

I want it to be vibrant and have that WOOAA factor when you see it ingame, some crits on if that is comming across would be great.

Ohh and the trees are modular... meaning I can create many diffrent solutions.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  50. Mold

Mold

Why does it remind me of portal