Search Unity

WIP Small Works Art Thread

Discussion in 'Art Assets In Progress' started by Tim-C, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Xoduz

Xoduz

Unfinished prototype environment for a game I'm working on.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  2. FlorianSchmoldt

FlorianSchmoldt

That's absolutely gorgeous Xoduz !
    Water particles might be a bit too blue but thats just nitpicking. Great stuff !

3. janpec

janpec

Florian very nice character you got there, and whole mood of restaurant is really great. Maybe just a tiny bit too much bloom which is visible on those little cups for ketchup, but other than that its perfect.
    Btw will this game be based all inside restaurant?

4. Maklaud

Maklaud

I like it badly! Please show the result render! :)))

5. avadlamani

avadlamani

Just a small preview of my cartoon sketch shader.
    Here's a webplayer.
    $Screenie.png
    PS: while the textures are from the microsoft paper, the shader is mine.

6. Maklaud

Maklaud

I see only a purple rectangle on your link.

7. avadlamani

avadlamani

I just realized that the shaders I wrote were ment form mobile. (GLSL only). So just enjoy the rather ugly screenshot. ;)
    I might just make a video out of this however for all the people on windows computers.

8. Thunderent

Thunderent

Pocket Artist

My work for the upcoming horror game Mythargia.

For larger images,open in new tab.

$e05i.jpg

$w6lc.jpg

$98he.jpg

Some of the props:

$vucx.jpg

$73nr.jpg

9. FlorianSchmoldt

FlorianSchmoldt

Thanks for the feedback ! I was experimenting with a dirty lens shader, which puts some extra bloom on my bloom but things went out of control :D
    It will be reduced. Especially because its a classic point'n click adventure and being able to check all objects is important.
    They are still very wip but there will be lots of locations. Like...in front of the diner :D

even behind it

and some more to come... :)

10. Mauri

Mauri

Looks great Florian. It's a "shame" (not really) that it will be just a point and click adventure.
    Thinking of Bioshock Infinite, making an FPS with a decent story in such an art style like yours could be really cool. :)

11. Xoduz

Xoduz

Much thanks! It's a work in progress, so will be tweaking those colors for sure. :)

Your diner location is looking good, btw! Love the whole 50's vibe you've got going. Might want to apply some decals with dirt/cracks/something on the ground outside though, to break up the "new/unused" look it has got. Unless that was the purpose, of course! :)

12. janpec

janpec

Florian will this be Steam powered game?

13. FlorianSchmoldt

FlorianSchmoldt

I'm just doing some of the visuals and don't know much about the marketing plans but Steam is one of the options.
    Personally I would like to push it into a kickstarter campaign and add more love to it. Like random NPCs, cars, bigger locations and everything that adds to the cool 50's vibe.

:D Thanks. I know what you mean. I've made the diner a portfolio piece and tried to push it, as far as I can...which ended up in a first person like quality.
    But we are working hard to make the best use of the realtime environment. Dynamic cameras, dynamic light, closeUps etc...

You are right. Decals will definitely be needed to add more life to it. Right now its just roughly blocked to get it in the prototype and check which camera angles will be needed and where to put that extra level of detail. But yes, Dirt Decals for a softer transition between ground and walls are already on the to do list :)

14. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

So much awesome posted here lately! great job everyone!

@Florain (I know your user name is Florian but I always feel like I want to say Florain haha) your game is looking even more amazing with every new screen you post here. It honestly looks better than some of the new next gen games coming out imo. Really awesome! I love how it looks so much.

@Thunderent your horror game looks really awesome to! great looking scenes, lighting, and atmosphere. Looks really good. It actually reminded me of how "ZombieU" looks like.

@Marcos, thanks man, and I can't wait to see what your new secret game is going to be. I know it has something to do with that cool bird character you made right? I love your art.

As for me, I spent the last couple days building a quick simple prototype for my new secret game project. Just testing out some new game assets I made, getting my character to work, etc Also I finally got around to getting my characters bike to work and now I think I am ready to start developing actual in game levels. Then I will reveal it later on in my own wip thread.

here is a screen from my final prototype

I really want to focus on the games look with this new one.
    I haven been testing a lot of different styles. I made and scrapped at least three different texture atlases. Like one was a more realistic texture atlas with a normal map I made, another one was this oil painting style atlas I made, etc. I just didnt like how all of them were looking in the game and then I realized it looks perfect with just solid colors and unitys Toon shading. so Im happy with that and will go with the toon shading for the whole game. Keep it simple.

15. Ocid

Ocid

Just want to say Snowcone I've seen you come on leaps and bounds from when you first started posting.

Keep it up man. Like the look of the little guy on the bike.

16. Chaosgod_Esper

Chaosgod_Esper

still working on a Fantasy 3D Top Down Action RPG (what a genre name, hm?)

Finished two new models from my Rpg-makerXP version to 3D (quick rendered in C4D):

17. Thunderent

Thunderent

Pocket Artist

@snowconesolid it's not my game.It's just my work for a client of mine,an upcoming horror game named Mythargia :D.

You've come really far since I first saw your posts.Keep it up!

Some more work:
    $AmputationKnife.jpg $Cabinet.jpg $SofaChair.jpg $Toilet.jpg $WheelChair.jpg

18. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

I really like the feeling that this is one "tile" of a larger landscape...

How are you intending on using this? What is the significance of the flat map below?

Very nice!

19. janpec

janpec

Roman siege tower. Used for "wave" styled attacks, as well as multiplayer. Its constructed from procedural parts so it will be adjustable in height. 15k polys, quite high but still at what i aimed. Polys came beouse each plank is beveled with 32 faces to smooth edges. Lower LOD version will have 4 times less polys as those edges will be sharpened. Higher LOD might have more bent planks and shaped differently but not sure yet becouse it will affect colliders and it will change gameplay which LODs shouldnt do. Texture is not yet final.

20. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

This is looking sweet man...

21. Xoduz

Xoduz

Thanks! :)

The basic idea is that we'll have a number of different such "chunks of landscape" from various types of environments, each one being a stand-alone location supporting one or more "events" or "encounters". Some areas will be smaller, some might be slightly larger. The player sets out on an "adventure" with some specific goal/objective in mind, along they way they'll pass through some of these "event locations". Which locations they pass through and which events/encounters they'll run into in those locations will be randomized.

The flat map below will eventually represent the actual world-map (currently it's just a random image grabbed from Google!), which will (I hope) serve to put the chunks of land into some context and will also function as the interface the players use to travel from one location to the next as they traverse the world-map on their way to their final destination.

22. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

@Ocid and Thunderent , thanks! when I first started two years ago I was still just learning the ropes of game dev and over that time period I have practiced a lot and gained lots more experience. I think everyone gets better at what they do if they really love doing it and continue to do it :)

and Thunderent still, those are some really good looking game assets you are making. The players will be looking at your work when they play. Keep it up man!

23. NomadKing

NomadKing

Truly gorgeous. Let me play it... now! :p

24. virror

virror

Looks like he have some issues reaching the pedals : p
    Nice work though, what happend with the other game you were working on, just on a short break or canceled for now?

25. marcos

marcos

Cheers, mate! Really digging the toony style of your project :D

I finally made a thread for it, click here

Here's a shameless cross-post of the alpha gameplay video:

Hoping to get some more eyeballs onto it for some feedback ;)

26. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Nice Marcos! haha I love the way he falls on his face at the end of the level. Those are some really well done animations. Game looks great.

haha he does actually have issues with the pedals. He cannot reach them since he is a short character. But since this is a cartoon game I thought it would be funny to keep the bike as is. He is too short to reach the pedals yet in the game you can actually still get on the bike and move it around and the wheels and pedal gears actually animate and move to.

Today I bring you 2 new screenshots.

As for my other game, Almond-Hill I said I would go back to it after I finished "Forest Soup" (my Halloween project) but after I finished forest soup and released it I found it hard to go back to working on Almond hill. I wanted to start on something new and kind of lost interest in Almond hill. But I wouldn't say its canceled completely but yeah more of a break. I might go back and work on it and maybe even remake it with a fresh new art style and make it more polished. I did however create a dedicated page for it on my blog and uploaded a bunch of things I never showed like webplayers of unfinished levels.

you can play them/check them out here Almond-Hill : Silent Meow Page on my blog in "The Silent Meow Files" :)

For now though I wanna work on my new toon game.

27. janpec

janpec

Wooden palisade and barricade. All parts should be placed manually so fort size and shape can be totaly adjusted, as well as look of barricades. There is one downside of this procedure which is that it will hold many triangles and there is not much that can be done against it. I will also use vertex paint to make better difference of nearby planks, since now its clear there are only 2 different textures, which i could settle into 1024x1024x sheet.

28. virror

virror

Tried the road player and i thought it was really nice, sad to hear you have stoped working on it, the characters seemed to have quite a bit of "character" to them : )

This new art style also looks interesting though : )

29. welby

welby

Very cute,..I like it.

Is there any reason for a free-roam camera in this game? Seems like it could be simplified to remain on the different axis'. 90degrees at a time.

The animation is nice. Alittle on the 'taking too long' side,.But,...if I can still rotate around while it is doing it's anim, then ok.

Keep it up!
    cheers
    -Welby

30. FlorianSchmoldt

FlorianSchmoldt

Thanks man ! I can't offer something just now but we're working hard on it :)

New charakter realtime wip. It's Wikvaja. Luna's dad. He knows stuff

31. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

I like him!

32. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

He looks like Renado from The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess...

EDIT: The war against the Evil Lords just got serious... Operation: Desert Fox, the final offensive against the Evil Lords in Aylea!
    $sidescroller-43.png

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  33. marcos

marcos

Cheers for the nice words!

Originally it worked that way, you would swipe on a device or press a cursor key and it would rotate 90 degrees in the appropriate direction, but it didn't feel quite so nice. I feel that being able to rotate the world more freely makes touching the screen feel more intuitive.

I 100% agree with the animations taking too long. You can still move around and drop down even if Parasol hasn't stood up yet, but if you've finished a level and are waiting to see if you got the star, it could become tedious.

Many thanks for the feedback!

34. Acumen

Acumen

Hm, I feel like welby. I had a really hard time following the video because of the freeroaming.
    Since the movement is fixed, the free camera kinda messes with my expected and predicted movements. I'm not sure this is working in faor of the game mechanics.
    It was really not totally clear what happene there. Maybe a mixture would be more intuitive. Like switching between angles in a 90degree step and then the freeroam when making a certain gesture or something like that :)

Art is beyond evertyhing as usual obviously. What about that cuuuute turtle. This is taking sooooo long :D

35. Rafael-Barbosa

Rafael-Barbosa

First actuall attempt at modeling a complete scene. I'm actually kind of happy with the results, but I have restricted myself to way to less polygons, I'm thinking of remodeling all of this.

$3orPxXn.jpg

Attached Files:

36. clearrose

clearrose

@FlorianSchmoldt: Just wow, nice model !! I can't see what you'll do with this project :) !

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

More progression on senior project - Trauvaina (Working Title)

Anyways, heres an update on my senior project. I have just finished baking my main character and took some quick maya screenies. I do have an question though, before I start building the rig for her. Should I do all my animations in one maya file and export the animations at once, or can I go back and import new ones later?

Heres a list of animation I know I'm doing for her:

Walk
    run
    idle
    crouch
    flying
    landing
    falling
    roaring in place
    various combat moves which will be used in combination including aerial moves.
    walk left
    walk right
    walk back
    sneaking
    resting
    and some talking for in-game dialog

At least this is what I can think of off the top of my head at the moment.
    Well, finality heres my screen shots:

$ShaeBakedMayaScreenShot4.jpg

$ShaeBakedMayaScreenShot.jpg

$ShaeBakedMayaScreenShot2.jpg

$ShaeBakedMayaScreenShot3.jpg

and here are my maps:

Mouth:

Armor:

The character:

37. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

38. janpec

janpec

Nice work dogzerx, by the way what happened to that nice art and IOS game demo you had posted few months ago. Did it turn into full game? The one with cat on rooftops.

Onager, type of Roman catapult. Destructable, projectiles can be loaded , two types - a normal rock and burning rock with oil.

39. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Top notch catapult! I love how the wood texture just fits the mesh!

About the cat game, it's a great concept and I do intend to work on it (or something very similar at least) seriously after I finish other shorter term goals. But it really needs to be simplified as a project. I took some bad approaches for the cartoon physics and that lead to a house of cards effect.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  40. janpec

janpec

Looking forward to see that completed. Noticed that Marcos and you have similar art stlye and projects for IOS, would be cool to see something bigger come from both of you, like platformer with quite long gameplay. Just a thought hehe.

41. Thunderent

Thunderent

Pocket Artist

Awesome work,janpec!

Is that a Unity render?If yes,are you using the standard shaders,because that looks too good :D

42. Rafael-Barbosa

Rafael-Barbosa

Update on my Bathroom scene!
    I actually increased the avarage poly count, which gave me much better results. Played around with the lighting and camera. Here is the new result.

$1Fu4XPE.jpg

I still have a few things to add and fix, texturing the closet and the door are one of them.

- Rafael

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  43. FlorianSchmoldt

FlorianSchmoldt

So cute ! I love his expression !

44. janpec

janpec

Thunderent renders are from Marmoset Toolbag, but final render in Unity should look the same becouse i will use Marmoset Skyshop shaders and image lighting on all models (only not completly sure about terrain yet).

45. marcos

marcos

Thanks for the feedback, Fabian!

At the moment when you drag your finger it rotates the game level itself, when you release you finger it snaps to the closest 90 degrees. The idea was that you could orbit around to decide which block you should drop to and think a few steps ahead. I'm hoping that it just appears slightly confusing because the video doesn't show the touches and gestures. I suppose if it's still a problem later on I could have two control schemes, free-rotating as it is now, and rotating in 90 degree steps.

The current control scheme was sort of inspired by the rotating in Percepto:

46. Rafael-Barbosa

Rafael-Barbosa

I didn't wanted to spam this thread, but I got really happy with what I was able to achive. So here it is, the newest version.

$VNhlydz.jpg

Added the trash can, fixed some shaders and also made the lighting/shadows much much better. Changed the overall color to a more darker one.

- Rafael

47. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

I am making good progress on my new secret game project and almost finished with the entire first level that will be in the final game.

Here is my dev screenshot from today. (The meat of the level is all behind the character which I am not showing in the screenshot.)

Anyway, that bird you see is a character you meet in the game. These I call them Waffer Birds. (Like Wafer cookies but spelled Waffer) -_-

:)

48. Ignoble Arts

Ignoble Arts

Short of an audio/visual project. This highlights the advantages of mo-cap and GI in Unity.
    Unfinished.

49. janpec

janpec

Hey nice project there Ignoble Arts, i see you are using DX11 explosions, but cant really notice GI in scene that much. By the way are those Call of duty 4 M60 sounds?:D Sorry if not but it just sounds the same.

50. Acumen

Acumen

I guess because this example has a visible bottom and ceiling it makes it easier to grasp the 3d space.
    Also this one has like "true" 2d sideview while yours still has that 3d depth even when in full "side" view.
    yeh, I know, one has to experience this on an actual device :)

Obviously this has yet to be found in a private betatest. I will let you know just after I played a round of the cute turtle game !
    Oh wait.... :(