Search Unity

WIP Small Works Art Thread

Discussion in 'Art Assets In Progress' started by Tim-C, Jul 26, 2012.

1. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

$evil-pumpkin.png

I'm too stubborn to give up.

I removed the jitter from my brush, and this time did the lineart in a size 5 pencil. I upped the opacity to 5% when shading, and it seemed to make a fair difference in the ease and contrast of my shading. I'm thinking it could still be bumped to about 6%.

2. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

One more time.

$anime-schoolgirl.png

I'm trying to get more a penciled feel to my drawings. I'm reducing my line size further, but I'm beginning to suspect that the pencil tool isn't really helping me as much as I would like it to (or, I need to choose a different tip setting.) I think this one has my best shading yet.

3. marcos

marcos

What program are you using?

If you're using Photoshop, you can link the opacity and size of your brush to pen pressure and the brush angle to direction and it feels pretty natural when you use light strokes.

4. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

I'm using GIMP. I'll look for a setting to link pen pressure to brush size/opacity.

EDIT: Found it. It's just in a really odd place. Also, I notice drawing in a larger resolution, then shrinking, helps a little bit! Like this one, I started at 640x640 and shrunk to 320x320.

$anime-spacepilot.png

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  5. Maklaud

Maklaud

Asvarduil, really like your "simple" images. About a year ago I was presented a Wacoom Bamboo Pen Touch, very nice thing! But I have never drawn using it, can you imagine! Just don't have enough place on my desk and don't have time for that.

6. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Thanks. I'm a programmer by training, but I enjoy art. I refuse to believe that because I am a technical person, I can't also be good at art, so I'm pursuing it further.

My style is what I like to call 'Manga Simplified.' People apparently love the Japanese comic styles, but there's this pull growing towards retro styles. So, a lot of what I wind up drawing has simple shapes, simple shading, limited details, and is incredibly stylized. Right now, I'm basing my style off of Keiji Inafune's style with Rockman (exaggerated forearms/feet), but I'm also trying to evolve my style to be something more distinctly "Asvarduil".

7. Maklaud

Maklaud

Frankly, I don't like Manga or so :) Just like those images, the sword, the pumpkin etc. :)
    And I'm a developer, too, but also like to draw. I'm a bad drawer, but it isn't a problem - like to do that anyway.

8. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

I would say that you are better off working with vectors then bitmaps for the style you described.

9. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Maybe. But, I really am going for more of a hand-drawn style.

Speaking of, this character was inspired by Princess Garnet from Final Fantasy IX

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  10. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

After releasing my recent game "Forest Soup" I decided to take a break and work on some super mario fan art for fun.
    This is something I made quickly to pay tribute to one of my favorite game series of all time.

Created entirely with Blender and rendered in Cycles.

11. welby

welby

omg,.yes,..drawing with a mouse sucks,..I got a galaxyNote not long ago and made the delve into using the ,..well,..I still call it a light pen..heh,..

$TyMa_WelbyCROP_zps64ad75a8.jpg
    TyphoidMary , I drew on Galaxy Note8"

Not your style,..but you can see that you can achieve clean linework,..I work a bit large then scale down. If I have long lines, which are tough to get smooth,..simply zoom out so you don't have to cover so much surface, imho.

I use Sketchbook pro,..for IOS and Android,..5 bucks,..absolutely Love it. nice brushes to go along with the pressure sensitivity.

use the pencil only for rough drafting. then layer over it using the thicker brush work or even pen.

good luck!

12. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Nice! I thought that was like a promotional poster for Queen or something. Rock on! \m/

I'm still evolving my style. I got a book about how to draw with a more Manga-esque style - Massive Manga by Yishan Li - but I'm also sticking to sort of my Final Fantasy VI/Mega Man style, because I would like to hand-draw and hand-animate my sprites in the future.

13. FlorianSchmoldt

FlorianSchmoldt

A mudbox sculpted character for our 50s based adventure.Rendered with MentalRay in 3dsMax.

He's called Eugene

just a quick test in unity

EugeneEugeneEugeneEugeneEugeneEugeneEugeneEugeneEugeneEugeneEugeneEugene

14. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Wow, nice. Any chance of a webplayer?

15. FlorianSchmoldt

FlorianSchmoldt

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  16. janpec

janpec

Florian now scene looks even better with some characters in. Really good job on those lights aswell,

17. Thunderent

Thunderent

Pocket Artist

My name is House....Medieval House :)

$i6hb.jpg

18. FlorianSchmoldt

FlorianSchmoldt

19. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

20. virror

virror

Haha, amazing webplayer : D

21. janpec

janpec

Galic long sword. I have used straightforward approach, no messing around on diffuse too much, pretty much defining model trough metal material and specularity.

22. FlorianSchmoldt

FlorianSchmoldt

next...trousers

23. janpec

janpec

AH YOU... :evil:

I see why it is necessary, becouse to properly sculpt pants artist has to sculp the thingy too.

24. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

WWOOOOOOOOoooowwwwwww!!!!!!

25. SpencerPDX

SpencerPDX

That's awesome!

Took me a couple restarts before I realize it was no coincidence the music stopped when I tried to jump (via spacebar) on the counter. :)

26. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Just trying something new..... gears :p

27. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Damn!! This is what I call having fun with a game engine! (\˳˘ ɜ˘)˳ ♬♪♫

LOL

28. FlorianSchmoldt

FlorianSchmoldt

Thanks guys :)

Yep. I used a first person shooter script which somehow stops the music while tryin to play a jump sound. I'm not a coder but it was for fun anyway. The game will use a fixed cam.

Not necessarily but its good to know that everybody is in place.
    I'm doing that for boobs as well and now my gf forced me to sculpt his dong :D Sorry

Finally...trousers

29. janpec

janpec

Oh i thought you were kidding mostly didnt know you really use it to properly compute space on sculpts. I would certainly agree with boobs, but the lump on thingy looks bit wierd to sculpt on it. You did very good job though on matching pants on it. Really good job on those wrinkles.

30. janpec

janpec

No its not Smurf cap it was actually common helmet for Greek and Macedonians:D

31. XGundam05

XGundam05

Some Voxel Sprite work I've been puttering around with for a slowly-progressing project:

32. virror

virror

But it does look like a smurf cap : D
    Great job on it though : )

33. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Wow! I read that the wrong way...

34. c-Row

c-Row

Don't we all?

35. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Now I'm going to make a Smurf Warrior sprite...

36. Paparakas

Paparakas

Hey that looks really cool. Can I ask you how you did that? I looked at your blog and apparently you did it with procedural mesh generation then exported it as a .obj into maya and edited it there? And used AO to make it look nice?

37. janpec

janpec

Sarissa, long phalangite spear. 350 polys. Darn i am having all sorts of errors lately first with normal map baking placing some wierd artifacts, then with UV map being completly facated and butchered when exported from 3d coat, then smoothing problem in 3ds max which doesnt work unles i reimport model into Mudbox and force smoothing and then arange smoothing again, and then problems with UV seams being visible in distance if it is zoomed out. Btw none of the problem have any reports online neither how to solve them.

38. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

$smurf warrior.png

He's a mighty Smurf Warrior,
    He keeps death inside his hat.
    He practices every day with a big
    squirrel, and base ball bat!

He may not look threatening,
    but Death flees in his wake!
    He pursues and fights and smashes
    until enemies of all kinds have fallen on their faces!

He is a strong Smurf Warrior...

39. mcunha98

mcunha98

Concepts for my tower defense game

And a model that I'm working now

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  40. XGundam05

XGundam05

Thanks! Those are actually shots from within the voxel modeling software: MagicaVoxel. After I model it in that software, I convert it using a custom tool and then import it into Blender for animating. I need to tweak my meshing algorithm to account for AO, but otherwise it does the job pretty well.

41. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Over the past couple days I decided to re-create the famous endless runner game "Jetpack Joyride" in 3d. But not remake the game or anything, just create a nice 3d render as fan art. This is just something I worked on on/off in my free time.

Here is the final render:

For those of you interested here is a turn table animation I made of my Barry model so you can see him from every angle.

42. dibdab

dibdab

43. janpec

janpec

Gallic round shields under sunset light:D

44. Kellyrayj

Kellyrayj

I've been attempting to paint my own tileable textures this past month. Some results have been good. Others pretty terrible. This evening I decided to try my hand at making something in the spirit of fall to share with you all. Here was the result:

$Leaves.png

Its a 512 x 512 tiled texture.

Please feel free to download and use the texture in what ever game venture you are attempting. Just please don't redistribute as your own.

45. tweedie

tweedie

Janpec - fantastic work as always! :D I'm always very jealous of your metal materials etc, they look so damn good! ;)
    Bridin - love the leaves! :) They have a calm feeling about them, and very generous of you to allow people to use it - shall have to try and fit that in somewhere perhaps!

This is a light house model I did a couple of months ago for a horror game concept thingy. It was going to be based on an island with a very 'fishing-town' style. It only has a diffuse map, as I never got round to the spec, so any spec you do see is just basic and flat.

$Lighthouse_HalfRes.png

...And if that image link doesn't work, then here's a link to the Higher Res image:
    http://ctw3d.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/render-result_02.png

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  46. Chaosgod_Esper

Chaosgod_Esper

I´m currently creating a NGUI SciFi Theme.
    Perhaps it´ll be for all of you (Asset Store) ;)

47. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Janpec - "tha' mashine"! It never stops producing, and it's always good.

-

Wow, Bridin:

That has a very good feel to it.

48. Kellyrayj

Kellyrayj

Thanks Adam, I am really enjoying this tile texture making process.

49. janpec

janpec

Basic survivalist / hunter bow.

50. janpec

janpec

Fire logs.

And here is concept of process, need of axe item, use axe to cut tree or bush, wooden logs are placed in hands or inventory, logs placed down on ground and lit with fire. A rabbit is roasted on it.