Search Unity

WIP Small Works Art Thread

Discussion in 'Art Assets In Progress' started by Tim-C, Jul 26, 2012.

1. janpec

janpec

Thunderent cannon looks awesome now :D

2. Thunderent

Thunderent

Pocket Artist

I balanced the colors a little bit,but even after many re-tries it still looks like the wood from the body is a different color.

Anyway,here are the final shots:

High-poly

The cannon has 7k tris as I didn't put any limit to the model.lt comes with 2k Diffuse/Normal/Specular Map.

I could've achieved a higher resolution texture by mirroring some parts and saving a lot of texture space,but I didn't think of it when I baked the normal map(huge mistake!).

Things learned:
    -Mirroring,mirroring,mirroring!!!
    -Don't exaggerate with the hard edges on the high-poly,the normal map will look like @!%#.
    -Specular Map creation(still needs much improvement).
    -I think there's more...

P.S:Marmoset render...and why doesn't the Bumped Specular shader in Unity have a specular slot? :D

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  3. Farfarer

Farfarer

If I'm going to be picky... you've got wood grain running across the wheel spokes, which means they'd break extremely easily and quickly. The grain runs along the spokes, as it's much stronger that way. Same deal with the wheels, the grain runs around the wheel rim (they'd make planks and bend them around to go around the wheel). Right now you'd fire that thing once and the wheels'd fall off :p

Looks good, though.

Spec map goes in the diffuse alpha channel for Bumped Spec, btw.

4. Vanamerax

Vanamerax

Ok cool! Did you change FOV of the camera? it looks like there is more overall view :)

@Thunderent
    Looks awesome! I really like the textures :D

5. Thunderent

Thunderent

Pocket Artist

Thanks for the crits.I'll take that into account next time I make a wooden wheel :D

@wasstraat65 Thanks!

6. WayneP

WayneP

Please go easy on me guys, this is my first ever model using any 3D software. It is nowhere near finished but I thought I would share my progress.

7. SevenBits

SevenBits

Not bad.

8. Acumen

Acumen

omg, i want to see and know sooo much more of that. Technical detail of any sort, textures, wireframes, you name it. That is sooooo fabulous :D

9. SrBilyon

SrBilyon

I love those clouds :O How are they shaded?

10. FlorianSchmoldt

FlorianSchmoldt

Thanks! Glad you like it. As you might have guessed, it will be a tiny wings sort of thing.
    Its first week of dev and still in a proof of concept stage. The gfx will get some more love and details...with even more love.

There's not much magic on the technical level. The landscape is a flat, procedural mesh based on perlin noise. The hill shading is the result of a normal map. The green Y-channel is a simple gradient which describes a curve. It uses the same, "perlin stretched" UVs as the diffuse map and does a nice job faking the volume. It works pretty good with dynamic light sources like headlights, explosions and glowing cows...
    The cam is perspective instead of ortographic so we decided to keep the car 3d. Its around 1200 Tris. Should be IOS and android-able :)

They are just billboards. Unity does a good job displaying thousands of polys with a decent framerate and it emitts even more particles...but for some strange reason, the fps totally sucks when the particle system emitts a couple of low-poly meshes : /
    They were originaly a 3dsMax particle system, converted to meshes and rendered with a subsurface skin shader to receive a fluffy cloud look

11. Blacklight

Blacklight

Awesome!

12. brn

brn

Very Nice!

13. FlorianSchmoldt

FlorianSchmoldt

Thanks guys! Glad you like it

Its a photoshop mockup of some sort of health bar :D

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
    DBarlok and thePercept like this.
  14. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

Looks awesome, I hope this game goes very far!

15. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Oh! They came from Outer Space!

I'd love to see it textured and with some lights...

16. WayneP

WayneP

I am still learning the basics but the ring around the outside will have lights, as for texturing I am having no luck. It looks terrible when I texture it so I need more practice before I put up some pics of that

17. diegzumillo

diegzumillo

Love the light cartoony style on that car.

I'm trying to design a character :p

18. The-Spaniard

The-Spaniard

diegzumillo - the image you've posted isn't showing up, some message "file does not exist.." I'm on chrome btw, in case it's browser related.

19. diegzumillo

diegzumillo

Weird o_O
    Let me try again:

20. The-Spaniard

The-Spaniard

Wow, that's great! Really evocative and quite creepy too - what kind of setting are you going for?

21. diegzumillo

diegzumillo

That's the thing. I don't know yet. I had an image in mind of a future as imagined during the sixties, with space age design and all that. But I'm not a professional artist, and the result is nothing like that lol. But I like the drawing.

22. diegzumillo

diegzumillo

I think I'm getting where I want :p

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  23. DavidB

DavidB

This is really excellent. It's like an alien Slenderman :p

Whatever it is, the work is incredible!

24. diegzumillo

diegzumillo

Thanks! I had to google slenderman :p

It's actually a person wearing a high tech tactical suit and a trench coat (that also has its purpose). But I'm not a huge fan of the helmet. I mean, it looks good but looks more like an alien or a robot. Maybe in the context that won't be a problem, maybe I should make it a little bigger, so a head could fit inside.

25. Carlo Monzini

Carlo Monzini

Racing Legends update :
    championship

26. LaneFox

LaneFox

27. diegzumillo

diegzumillo

It's looking nice. The FPS is a bit low though, if you intend to make it run on the webplayer it might be necessary to tone the graphics down (or allow customization :)

Are you working on the player controls too? it not and that's just placeholder then disregard the following comments. When I press shift it changes the headbob movement but the velocity stays the same, apparently. Is that the intended behavior? The jumping feels awkward as it looks like the fall velocity is slower than the ascent, as if we have a small parachute.

28. The-Spaniard

The-Spaniard

@Zerobounds - looking good, bit too much bloom on the sand, it's very bright. Also, the tree's bark are too different in tone, the ones with pink leaves have very bright clean bark compared to the darker mossy bark of the other tree. And I'g getting a weird shadow banding on the distant terrain:

I'm on Chrome, Vista, Ati radeon 3870 x2.

@diegzumillo - that concept looks great, even if it's not what you're aiming for :p Very imposing and menacing - if you change the helmet for the main character, maybe keep the design for an elite enemy? If you want it more human looking perhaps cut away some of the lower half of the helmet to show some of the mouth and chin. Or make the "eyes" (or visor whatever) more visible/obvious.

As for me, doing the retop of the statue, and I've made the cogs for the machinery that goes behind it (gotta do the girders/attachemts too). The cogs are animated and UV'd all on the same mesh and material, yay for optimisation.

29. diegzumillo

diegzumillo

That's a pretty good idea. I kind of wanted him to be faceless, more mysterious etc, but it might be interesting to show some human flesh to at least show it's a person.

Awesome statue! love the concept. The folds on the cloth, especially the right leg (from his pov), doesn't look very good. and his hands could use a more natural pose. I hope you don't mind the criticism! and considering you're on the retopo phase, you're probably fed up with modeling already.

30. diegzumillo

diegzumillo

Some work on the environment. Nothing specific, just a general idea of the world. High tech, but with a vintage design. I got inspired by what they call space age design, from the sixties. I'm not happy with the actual painting, but I can see I like the concept so the painting did its job all right.

31. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

@diegzumillo

I'm really liking the overall design concept of this painting! Keep up the great work!

32. janpec

janpec

Koi carps. Background is conceptual, scene is quite heavy in triangles, waiting for bibinator to release polycruncher for Unity and test it on this piece. Fish still need to be animated.

33. TehWut

TehWut

Wow! This is simply amazing. It reminds me of the Dark Souls game. You are truly skilled! Would love to see more of this!

34. FlorianSchmoldt

FlorianSchmoldt

35. blacknirvana

blacknirvana

36. jessee03

jessee03

Still need to texture, add proper lighting, and final details. But here's it so far.

37. HolBol

HolBol

My first try at painting from a sketch in photoshop:

Not bad, but could be better. More practice!

38. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Ooey GUI goodness. Anonymous rebel pilot sees what I did there...

Contained in my Dev Blog Gallery...

39. Duskling

Duskling

Messing around with lightmapping a futuristic hallway, with emissive lights as the only light source in the level. Turned out fantastic. This was done with the unity pro trial, unity free doesn't support lightmapping emissive shaders :(

Entire scene is only 2 materials, it's quite amazing what lightmapping can achieve. I look forward to making an entire game with only a white material.

Took like 10 minutes to lightmap though :( Sucks considering it's just 1 mesh, and I planned on making a whole level out of these.

40. virror

virror

You are not the only one : p
    Probably the buggiest webplayer ever : D

41. FlorianSchmoldt

FlorianSchmoldt

:p

I wanted to add a flag to the car but it appears that its not possible to attach cloth to moving objects.
    It looks like cloth and rigid bodies are not syncronized and the flag just "asks" its position every 5th frame, which results in a weird stuttering ...so I made the whole car a soft body and called it "buggy" :D

42. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

I'm hardly the best student of 3D...but couldn't you just bake that texture in your 3D program, complete with lightmapping, etc., and then import the mesh/texture/material into Unity where it will render in lickety-split time?

43. Duskling

Duskling

Yes I could, but I don't know how to bake light maps with blender, and I was just testing the abilities of unity :)

44. FlorianSchmoldt

FlorianSchmoldt

don't know either but it could get tricky when you have variations of that hallway, when direct and indirect light should affect the nearby rooms.
    10min is quite long. Is it a illuminated material ? Area Lights are fast and should give better results.

45. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

I've never tried baking a separate lightmap myself, either. When I go home, I'll give it a try myself. You got me curious! >=D

46. Duskling

Duskling

Yeah, it's an illuminated material. Just takes 10 minutes. 20 minutes if I make a room out of them. I can't really find any good tutorials on making light maps in blender with illuminated materials. It's just, the unity light maps look very good and they are extremely easy to do, they just take too long. Also, does anybody know how to fix this? The level is made out of modular pieces that are all 5x5. The are perfectly aligned on each others edges, but you can still see through the cracks.

47. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Unity has a vertex-snapping feature - are you using that to piece the maps together?

48. janpec

janpec

Triceratops posing:D

49. Duskling

Duskling

No, the levels are created in blender3D. I guess I will have to make the levels in unity. But that won't really work out because I do want to create lightmaps in blender.

50. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Aah, but you're in luck - there's a lightmapped diffuse shader in Unity. It will allow you to map a transparent lightmap with a texture onto a given mesh. All you'll need to do is bake the base texture, then the lightmap texture, and you're good to go.

You might even be a bit better off doing it that way; you'll have a bunch of little .blend files with your level pieces, but you'll be easily able to snap them together, and even influence what parts of your levels are and are not lit, just by adding or omitting the accompanying lightmap texture!