Search Unity

WIP Small Works Art Thread

Discussion in 'Art Assets In Progress' started by Tim-C, Jul 26, 2012.

1. marcos

marcos

Update on my bird character:

haha cheers! Hopefully I'm getting better at likenesses!

Yes, sir.. :(
    I've actually got a female that I'm working on at the moment, I need to get used to my new Cintiq 13HD, so maybe I'll use that as a weekend project or something :)

That would be so cool! Might investigate how to go about doing this after I improve a lot more haha

Yeah, the feathers did look very sparse. I sort of threw out the alpha thing and just painted the textures to the edge of the polygons today. I much prefer it now, plus it will only be very small on screen for most of the time anyway, so as long as the silhouette isn't horrible it might be alright. Though, having said that, I will probably change my mind down the track and fix it :)

Cheers for the kind words! Good to see you practicing and improving! Keep it up!

2. janpec

janpec

Bird looks fantastic, color use is simply perfect.

3. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Looks a lot better now marcos. Great bird model. And thanks.

I finished my badass fighter type character. I spent a good amount of time working on this character. And I know I say this ever time I post one of my newest models, but I really mean it this time when I say I think this is one of my best characters yet.

I finished modeling and texturing yesterday and today I sculpted in the details and baked out various maps then rigged.

look at this badass: (Snowcone Fighter)

its somewhat inspired by liquid from the MGS series.

4. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Very nice. I see the MGS influence now!

5. 0n35

0n35

Cool bird, here is one that was done for my project from this sketch

Last edited: May 17, 2013
  6. janpec

janpec

Really nice work 0n35 , love all the details on it. Is this only color map?

7. nickavv

nickavv

my first time really using a light cookie, so cool! :D

Last edited: May 19, 2013
  8. VertexFiend

VertexFiend

Wonderful sketch and nice looking bird model On35!

I'm a bit of a lurker here as well . . . Here goes nothing!

Got a model into unity for the first time recently. I hope to work up a little scifi environment as a demo.

Model and retopo in Zbrush. Maps baked in Xnormal. Hope to add some detail work and possibly text/logos to it soon.

$unity_screen.jpg

9. tweedie

tweedie

That's just epic. :D :D

The grunge is so nice! You will have to post a tutorial ;)
    I'd love to see a few more so it's in context, very nice!

10. Rafael-Barbosa

Rafael-Barbosa

$chicken.png $Cow.png

What do you guys think? They're for a project I am starting to work on, any comments about the shadows?

I still have to remake the cow's shadow, they aren't the same style.

11. tweedie

tweedie

@Rafael I like the chicken! :D Cow's just a bit grey at the moment, but I'm sure he'll look much better with the other shadows

I've been working on this the last day, (a sci fi computer monitor) when I should really be solely revising for exams, but hey I've gotta take a break haha
    About 580 tris in total, originally modelled it and had a normal map, but forgot unity doesn't have a normal mapped toon shader, which turned out to look better with the sketchy / comic style. That was a shame because I spent ages getting the bakes to work correctly, but it's a lesson learnt.
    Any feedback is very welcome!

It's for a potential game I have in my head, but I'm not sure how to go about making it, but I can't focus on it now with exams anyway

$Monitor_gameRender1.png

I hope that image is working, but if not here's a URL
    http://ctw3d.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/monitor_gamerender1.png

12. Rafael-Barbosa

Rafael-Barbosa

@tweedie
    that looks amazing , could you plz post a wireframe?

also here is the cow with better shadows + a drawing i made while being inspired, keep in mind that theese 3 drawing i posted are my first actual attempts at drawing,

$unity.jpg

EDIT : Link to the image if bugged : http://i.imgur.com/lXvumdF.jpg

13. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

I like that bird sketch On35.
    Rafael, I like your cow picture. I think the chicken one could be better though.
    Great computer monitor tweedie, it looks like something from Jet Set Radio.

Remember my Sleepy Snowcone character I posted a couple days ago? I decided to create a scene and render it out. here it is.

Sleepy Midnight Mushroom Forest

This character likes to go on adventures after midnight in his pajamas and often carries a shotgun. I might use this character in a future game project but not my next one.

I think I am ready to finally start developing more games again. my next game project will be a horror game. You will see a lot more about it soon here on the unity forums sometime :)

Also, I redesigned my blog and added a lot more sections to it and what not.

14. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Very nice :)... I am IMPRESSED Snowconesolid... you have come a long way to learning about game development and computer graphics... keep this up, and you will be EXCELLENT...

15. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Thank you Neptune :) That was a very nice thing you said. Very motivational. I appreciate it.
    I only hope to get better and better.

16. tweedie

tweedie

@Rafael, Thank very much, and you most certainly can! I'm glad you asked for one, as I spotted two edge loops that (i think) were completely unnecessary! Blender seems to be pretty good at maintaining Uvs when removing edge loops so hopefully I won't need to re-unwrap it. Brought it down from 518 tris to 432, so that's a nice saving :)
    Apologies if you can't make out the lines too well, but I made it brighter so it might help a little.
    Cow looks much better now by the way! :D Very nice indeed!

Here's the wireframe $Monitor_wireframe.png
    And if the image wont load, here's a URL:
    http://ctw3d.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/monitor_wireframe.png?w=774

@snowconesolid Thanks, never heard of Jet Set Radio before, but I guess I can see the similarities :) Nice character, particularly like the background though, reminds me of a CG Blender cookie microbe fresnel effect tutorial, if you haven't checked out that site then it's unbeatable for blender tutorials - glad to see another blender user! :D

17. Rafael-Barbosa

Rafael-Barbosa

18. tweedie

tweedie

Yeah I'm pretty happy with how simple I've kept it :) Thanks very much! But haha, no! - I'm really awful at texturing, it's something I've wanted to improve on, so these assets in that style should help me stick to a colour palette, but that's the first thing I've textured that I'm quite happy with :)

19. tweedie

tweedie

20. 0n35

0n35

21. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

It's not a JRPG unless you're risking the world for a girl you met 30 seconds ago. Also, I created a sprite bed. I also changed to a Google font, because the previous font-face was really really ornate and hard to read.

$sidescroller-14.png

EDIT: YAY I can see my attachments again! Thanks Unity!

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  22. tweedie

tweedie

Thanks! Hmm, really? Ah now you have me trying to make decisions i cant make.. perhaps you're right, that way I could have my normal back too, although I realised it doesn't do a heck of a lot haha. Ok, I think I'll go back to no outline then! ;)
    Thanks!

23. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

I prefer the outline. :D

24. tweedie

tweedie

Have to make it difficult, eh? ;) Haha, Oh i don't know now! I'll have to throw a few more assets together, plonk them in a scene and compare what they're like with and without outlines :)

25. marcos

marcos

Cheers, damned nice bird dude!

Painted another chick:

26. virror

virror

Why are you so good?
    Need a bigger wall for all the awesome paintings : p

27. marcos

marcos

haha thanks, but I've still got a long way to go yet!

Uploaded the timelapse:

28. HolBol

HolBol

Ridiculous. In a good way.

never been able to paint/draw humans. Never been able to quite master that style of line art you used to build up the shapes, either.

29. Acumen

Acumen

I can't believe it myself, still, but I after 2 looooooong years I actually managed to have worked on a game that people can download of the app store soon. It just got approved yesterday.
    And I feel sooooo great to have achieved this finally. Happyfuntime for me :)
    It's a suuuuper simple game, where the skull throws bombs at you and you have to tap them. It was done in a month, actually, so yay at us for succeeding in #onegameamonth :D
    Anyways, I'm superproud this actually worked out, finally !!! Free manhugs* from me for everyone !!

*note: females also get manhugs, of course :D

30. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Fantastic and Congratulations!

31. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Everyone...meet, the humble Dragoon.

$dragoon-left.png

...Unless you can't see attachments again. But, it's still possible to meet the Dragoon!

32. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

More amazing skill from Marcos! I watch your time lapse and its like you dont even need to think about how your going to draw, you just make an amazing drawing suddenly happen. haha.

Acumen congratulations man! That is a great achievement. Amazing style. your game looks pro and I wish it success.

Asvarduil, is the humble dragon someone I wouldn't want to meet in a back alley? he seems tough. haha. Nice pixel art.

Heres some progress on the main character for my next game project which I announced a couple days ago. Its going to be a horror game.
    The main characters name is going to be Leon Coffeebean.

This is still a very early wip, but I am really just posting about it because I wanna show off the badass hair style Leon will have in game. :)

I know it seems high res now, but its still early and ill have it game ready once I finish.

33. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

He's tough, but Evil Lords' minions probably wanna avoid brightly lit days, in fields, when he's walking around. He'll (literally) jump them.
    In game, though, the Dragoons act as martial arts mentors for Tim the Knight. They teach him Overthrust and Underthrust as part of the story (that's what she said!)

Something now, that I could really use a few more critiques on - a Zelda-esque house piece!

34. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Wow Asvarduil! That is amazing and beautiful music. Sounds like something directly out of windwaker or skywardsword. But your not going to use that music for when the player is inside of a house or something right? it sounds more outdoors, woods type music.

My speed at which I model at has greatly improved because of how much I practiced prior. So I finished the modeling for my Leon coffeebean character, the main character of my upcoming horror game project. I am very happy with the results and think it looks great.

Ill start the texturing, and sculpting details in tomorrow and then work on optimizing it for game. I should be done with this character soon.

35. goat

goat

Liked the work on the Plush game.

36. marcos

marcos

Nice! When's it due for release?

37. virror

virror

marcos: You have any page were you collect your drawings? If not you should set one up, or at least make a post here were you collect them. Pretty please : p

38. Acumen

Acumen

@Little Angel, snowconesolid: Thank youuuuu :)
    goat: hehe, thanks. Been a little rusty on the 3d side of the world :)

@marcos: actually it's out already. We just blatantly hit the button, since we couldn't wait any longer :D
    It's such a tiny game, we didn't do any marketing so far.
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/murtaugh-origins/id647683916?mt=8

39. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

I already have some good woods music...but I can probably re-arrange the piece, or take a subset of the piece for house music. Even when I was working on it and playing it back, I said to myself, "dang, this sounds like Zelda house music!"

What's funny? I was originally going for castle music. Musically, I can get hella segued.

40. fivearchers

fivearchers

Been awhile since I posted anything, here's a few Steel Archers screenshots: (Action RPG in the Wild West with Steampunk elements)

If you recall way back Steel Archers was a mech game (back before November).

Attached Files:

41. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

Didn't Steel Archers used to have a more polygon style? Or am I thinking of a different game?

42. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

No, it definently had that sort of N64-esque polygonal style. It changed! Angry-face! Grrr...except that it looks good, and the female PC is pretty cute.

43. fivearchers

fivearchers

Yup, it did! But as things progressed and we tried to lock in an artistic style, textures eventually worked their way in. The hardest was giving a sense of movement without using textures.

Actually you can see the progression here

Kinda neat to go back..of course if you go on my fivearchers.com website, and dig waaaaay back you'll see the mech sim variant and the victorian steampunk variant.

44. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

I'm working on a character! Currently doing the rig.

45. Maxtor

Maxtor

Incredible! Would you mind posting a wire-frame shot and triangle count?

46. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Thanks Maxtor!! Well the tricount at this moment is around 10k, but it will be more with armor plates and other items. It's a little high but I can always do some optimization if needed, and of course there's always LOD.

I've attached a wire file:
    $wire.jpg

47. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Hey everyone. As you know I recently announced my next game which will be a horror game. I finally finished working on my main character for that project. Worked on this guy for about two days. I really like the results and this is my best put together character yet.

Anyway, I will be starting my own thread on here soon once I get a good amount of work finished for this project. So consider this just a very early preview!

Character name: Leon Coffeebean.
    Description: Will be the main character in my upcoming horror game. I will have a better description later because I want it to be a surprise when I announce the title.

Heres the model of Leons flashlight you see him holding I also just recently finished creating.

Notice the Almonds on the flashlight? (hint hint)
    Could mean something about what my next title is.

I will have more soon. Once I get some more work done I will start talking about it and reveal in more detail on my blog then eventually start my own wip thread here.

:)

Last edited: May 25, 2013
  48. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Very nice, Snowconesolid :)

49. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

$5aDFHDe.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  50. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

For some reason I can't seem to be able see the attached image!