Search Unity

WIP Small Works Art Thread

Discussion in 'Works In Progress' started by Tim-C, Jul 26, 2012.

1. HolBol

HolBol

Okay guys, cheers for the tips.

2. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

This is VERY NICE!!! I definitely love the worn out wood and spots of shine... Man I have missed so much in this thread... everyone is coming along great...

3. tweedie

tweedie

+1 to that! janpec, what's your secret for texturing!? It'd be great to know a bit about your workflow if you'd care to share, I've never got the knack of doing worn wood or metal haha

Been flicking through this thread for a while now, and there's some serious inspiration here! Will definitely have to get started with a project!

4. janpec

janpec

Thanks Neptune, tweedie well nothing special really. I use Mudbox for texturing and bit help from Photoshop. Texture is 80% hand painted and 20% using texture sources. Aprox 10-15 layers are usually made for each models texture including overlaying AO, Cavity, inverted normal map scratches, and textures of different wood variations with different opacity levels. Normal map is brought to Photoshop, grayscaled then leveled out so only sharp edges are seen with strong white, this is then overlayed on main color map for scratches, some other scratches are hand painted. This scratches map is also overlayed on main specular map so that scratches are shining more than the rest of model. Specular map is painted 50% separately and 50% overlayed color map to highlight color details.

5. tweedie

tweedie

Wow! Cheers for the breakdown, nice to know a different workflow, very impressed to find out most of it's handpainted! I will definitely give the normal map trick a try as well, thanks for sharing!

6. janpec

janpec

No problem tweedie, glad to help. Would be great if someone else would share workflows for metal textures, especially swords and similar stuff.

7. Schlumpfsack

Schlumpfsack

metal textures...i could, but i am more in environment models, not so much in handhelds and that is a completely different workflow :(

$homhom.png $turret.png

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  8. Dyprax

Dyprax

That looks good Schlumpfsack ( this name xD ).

Our first official Concept-Art of our game:

9. janpec

janpec

Awesome character Dyprax such a cool texture:D

Schlumpfsack nice stuff too.

I am wondering is there anyone using Quixel ddo plugin for metal texturing?

10. Schlumpfsack

Schlumpfsack

i am using NDO2 and selfpainted metal textures + custom brushes for scratches, worn-out paint etc.

in my opinion ddo is way too expensive (commercial licence) and while it looks good, the work i have to put into the workflow to get good results...
    one or two hours of more work with handpainting and i get the same results, just more custom, because i have more control.

i guess ddo is great for people that have to work on a tight time budget, but for me (hobby) nothing i have to use or want to use :)

11. janpec

janpec

Cheers! I have just bumped up ddo demo gona try metal textures with it. Agree freelancer license is way too expensive for indies, but for huge studios this software is like giant gold hole. I mean for sci-fi games you can create textures for 100 assets in half hour! And AAA quallity ones. For sci-fi games i see not a single reason why software like this should not be used.

12. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I'm avoiding Ddo and NDo2...a lot of my textures can be done by hand and plus those are overexpensive plugins. And nice models btw Schulmpsack...very nice details...

13. Schlumpfsack

Schlumpfsack

thanks for the flowers :D
    i actually worked a long time with the free NDO and just love the workflow, so NDO2 was/is a must have for me. expensive stuff just for a hobby tho (CS6 adn NDO2).

14. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I agree... i do characters mostly and I wanted to give Ddo a try but in the end, the freelance version is too expensive...

15. dreamhead

dreamhead

hi guys this is just soms portfolio work i am curtlinge working on and i need soms feed back :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  16. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

You are right ben, this model is actually a bit more high resolution than my previous ones. I was not planning on using it for games but then really liked it and decided ill put together an extremely small game project with it. Currently it has 15,296 tris. Of course I can go back and bring that way down to make it much more low poly but I think for the purposes of this very small game project its fine especially since this will be the only character and there is not really a lot of geometry in the entire scene overall. I was planning on making my first short animation with this character originally and just using it for a cool render. (Thats for another time now though I guess haha.)

And thanks, it does kind of look like a fankenweenie character and that dull/floppy type animation would fit this character perfectly. If I go back and decided to work on that short animation project after this I will animate his movement more like that. But for the purposes of this tiny game I will leave it as is, even though he kind of has robotic movements at the moment :)

anyway, I finished creating the level for my very small game project. Its very mario 3d land inspired.

This will be the entire level and the entire game. Like I said its a very very small game project, and its not meant to be something you play for the purposes of playing a game or meant to have re playability. Its more of just a very small interactive project that welcomes people to my blog, promotes it and introduces me the developer. When I work on expanding my blog and redesigning it I will add a "Welcome" page and this game will be on that welcome page.

When people get to the ending of this very small "welcome" game it will open up my actual blog then take users to it. Of course you will also have the option to skip this if you dont want to play it to. So yeah, its more of a small thing for promoting.

Its going to be a real simple platforming game/level. thats it :)

17. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

That's a cool concept. I was going to do something like that for the 'interactive' copy of my resume.

18. Acumen

Acumen

@snowconesolid: I think if you increase the brightness this will look much much friendlier and welcoming. Seeing the funny face cloud in that harsh grey is really depressing :(
    Also with these tiles you could make a much more enticing level. The idea is supercool, but if you want to welcome people on your site, going the extramile should really be worth it. I think this would be a nice project that you can apply a second pass to make it really shine. These are not as complex as your character stuff, so it would be golden if you could reach that next level with these assets. Looking forward to the actual weplayer version :)

19. janpec

janpec

Road, tiled texture with alpha setoff. Did a bit playing with dDo, base color was created with it. Does anyone else get terrible performance when looking on dDo previewer? I know my comp isnt really high spec but darn that thing slows down rig more than Crysis on high settings.

20. HolBol

HolBol

It's gandalf. Pixel-style. My first pixel art for a number of years, opinions?

21. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

One does not simply walk into Mordor.

But, that's pretty pro. Great stuff Fishman!

22. Lachadonan

Lachadonan

heres an update,
    $SmallBUG.jpg

Attached Files:

23. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Wow... I feel like I have been taken back to my childhood :)

24. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Very nice fishman! Love pixel art. this looks great.

Thanks Asvarduil, yeah I think creating an interactive project for a resume, presentation, etc is a pretty good way for giving people a good look at some of the skills you have.

@Acumen thank you so much for everything you said, I am really glad you said all that because I agree 100% with you. I also did not like the lighting at all. Its suppose to be friendly and welcoming so that atmosphere has to be present. So I decided that I will use the toon shader for the purposes of this tiny project. Everything looks much better now. Also I decided I wont be using some of the assests I made like those stone blocks or that purple bridge, those assets dont fit in with this project. Im just going to use happy clouds, and colorful platforming type blocks I have already made. So I am just going to change the layout of the level and make it with just those assets. I know these are not very complex assets or level design but this is just a welcome project for my site so I want it to be very very simple. Im not trying to design this crazy complex level haha. But yeah, that is something I do want to work on improving in the future, level design. Like how I spent some time improving my character modeling. :)

anyway, this is not the final level, its just a quick throw together I put together after modifying the original. Mostly just want to see how the toon shader would look. Also, I decided that for the purpose of this project, the character is better off also using the toon shader. but of course I loose the advantage of using the bump map I created for details but still the character looks pretty good in toon shading. Only problem is, the toon shader shows these terrible seam lines on my model now and I can't fix them. Any tips? (you can see the seam lines on the character in the screens)

25. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

This is coming a lot great! Your texturing and modelling have truly improved and I cannot wait to see what else you have in mind for us... I love the eyes in the clouds, it is a very interesting touch :)

26. marcos

marcos

More non-power of two texture work ;) :

27. Thunderent

Thunderent

Pocket Artist

Love it! YOU SHALL NOT PASS!

Where's his staff?

28. HolBol

HolBol

The staff didn't fit on the sprite...

29. Lachadonan

Lachadonan

30. timon11

timon11

$Sci-fi barrel render.png

This is my sci-fi barrel, 448 verts, 892 tris. I am planning to create a full set of sci-fi themed props for the asset store, feedback is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

31. Korda

Korda

Hi Timon welcome! I am not seeing any image?

32. timon11

timon11

Thanks, I have no idea why you can't see it, is anyone else having the same problem?

33. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

I can see it Timon11, but I can't see Lachadonan's...

And very nice! I wish I could model that well.

(Chrome)

34. augasur

augasur

Timon11 sorry but i connot see it too :( But can see Lachadonan's.

35. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

36. tweedie

tweedie

Hmm, I can see Timon11's image, strange! :) perhaps just try reposting it - seems to work most of the time!

37. timon11

timon11

So here's my sci- fi barrel again:

View attachment 52139

Normal, diffuse and illumination map (still working on the speculair map)

38. tweedie

tweedie

Now I can't see either image! This is weird

39. Ben-Massey

Ben-Massey

Looks good, maybe darken it a bit and add a bit more pointless damage, not quite sure what look you're going for. I do however think it needs more detail in the texture. I did a quick sketchup of what i mean, hope you dont mind.

I found it depends on your browser, safari seems to poop out on me whereas firefox is displaying the images. Crazy

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  40. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Tonight I did a sculpt messed up some stuff, but no time to fix :( and I didn't want to invest more time into this ugly dude:

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  41. Acumen

Acumen

Some more icons. Goooooooohoohohooooooold :D
    Prerendered 3d work again :)

42. tweedie

tweedie

Ah I see, Im using Chrome and I can see the images in your reply, but not the regular ones anymore, didn't think about using safari. Chrome worked fine on my mobile though, odd.

Anyway - back to the art! Agree with your points on wear, liking the edit, would definitely be a step up

43. tweedie

tweedie

Whoops meant to quote Ben in that reply

44. timon11

timon11

@Ben4views Thanks for the feedback. The goal was to make the barrel look new/modern, so i left the scratches out. After seeing your modifications I think I will add some scratches in, it looks great. :) I was going to make a logo on the same spot you did, but had no logo so I left it empty.

@tweedie I uploaded the pictures via firefox so that might cause the problems, I'm glad you fixed it.

45. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

@Neptune, thanks man! I appreciate it. This is a very simple project and don't plan on creating this amazing thing with it. In the summer or sometime at the end of May is when I will start my next real project which I have very high goals/expectations to achieve with it. Ill have a thread up sometime. But not for a while :)

@Acumen, once again great work. I gotta try that method of yours sometime to try and create some cool 2d icons!

Quickly created this as a banner for my blog.

theres some problems with it but I like it. I wanted to make the tail glow but it wasn't working right.

Quick background story of this creature (just for fun)
    :

That purple creature is my official mascot/icon/symbol. Every game dev needs someway for people to identify who they are right? You might of seen it before if you have ever seen some of my posts or visited my blog/played any of my previous projects. Its just something I made up when I first started game dev and have been putting it in all my works since. I have put one in every single game project of mine and will always do so. Its so people can identify my work and if they see it they can tell that snowconesolid (me) created this. :)

Im sure a lot of you also do something similar. I kind of redesigned it so it looks a bit different than normal. Here is the first one I created.

(well thats the first one I ever created in 3d two years back.)
    technically this is the first one I ever created.

haha but yeah, just something silly. I was still learning how to use unity when I drew this and I drew it completely randomly then said to myself, "this is going to represent my games from now on" :cool:
    Anyone else wanna share a silly story of their game dev experiences?

46. tweedie

tweedie

I once considered making a game about evil alien cows that came to Earth and had guns that sucked milk from their udders
    I was going to call it 'Close encounters of the udder kind', I know, terrible :D

47. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Acumen, I really have to ask - those look more like vector art converted to pixel, than rendered 3D. How are you achieving this effect?

48. Ben-Massey

Ben-Massey

Are those golden eggs? They look great but i think you should add slight colour variations to the coins/eggs?

49. augasur

augasur

Had a bit of time. So, here is the result.

Interior coming soon :)

Any criticism, comments, advises are appreciated :)

Thanks,

Augustas

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  50. Acumen

Acumen

@Asvarduil: It's pretty easy. It's just a toon shader and 2-4 light sources in the scene. I then choose how many shading steps each color should have. The gold has 4 shades and 1 highlight, the wood has only 3 and no highlight. Most objects get a turbosmooth applied so the appear more rounder and more voluminous. It's really neat when I need more than one perspective or need another lighting situation or things like that. Basically most important are the colors and the shape of the assets. Since I can't really be arsed to learn a proper vector creation method, this one is quite interesting to me, since I can render at quite high resolutions as well without any major rework.

@ben4views: hehe yeah, let's say it's golden eggs, that close enough :D I agree a slight more orange could have worked wonders. It worked good enough in the store view, but I will surely try to keep that in mind. Just at the beginning of really understanding the iconmaking world. Lot of fun, though !!