Search Unity

WIP Small Works Art Thread

Discussion in 'Art Assets In Progress' started by Tim-C, Jul 26, 2012.

1. virror

virror

Looks cool!
    Only thing is that it kind of looks like its made of parts put together, not as a single whole, but maybe that's the thought as well.
    But i really like following your progress, very inspiring to see how blazingly fast you have improved : D

2. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Thank you Virror! You have always encourage me. I practice everyday. Its a common exercise in my daily life now haha. :)
    This is all one mesh. But the reason it looks like separate parts is because that's how Mewtwo's appearance is actually like. And my goal is to model it accurately according to the image.

Im using this as a ref image and as you can see mewtwo's body is just designed as if it looks like he has separate parts such as the arms, shoulder area, that chest peice, etc

Now my model is a little off but Im going to fix that. Such as the legs aren't fat enough and the lower body is too skinny in my model

3. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Since you showed Mewtwo's art, one thing I would emphasize is that his chestplate/pectorals don't have to protrude that much.

He's currently got a rack to rival the DoA girls.

4. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Did they ever specify that Mewtwo was a male pokemon? haha :)

I adjusted some of the body proportions. I should probably sculpt some details onto the chest area to make it look a little rough because in the art image his chest seems like its the roughest part on mewtwo.

Anyway, I am just about ready to go onto creating the final render now. well almost. I still need to create a scene and what not. then I will try and create a render better than my first mew render.

So here is another progress pic, this will probably be the final one I post. The next one I post will be the final rendered image.

I just finished texturing and rigging.

more soon!

5. nipoco

nipoco

Nice material.

6. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

janpec, very nice helmet. The only thing that catches my eye is a texture seam on the earflap. It may be intentional, but it just catches the eye. Other than that, very good job.

7. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

What are you using for pathfinding? Your own?

8. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

$Screen(newAreal)2.png $Screen(newAreal).png $Screen10.png $Screen12.jpg $Screen11.png

Imperium W.I.P

First person open world sandbox RPG. I started on making this world months ago and had it on hold. But now I'm in full production with this game.

I have created dynamic loading systems and detailed pathfinding of the entire world with my solution Dynamic Navigation. Also the AI in this game are powered by my package Fantasy AI. Smart LOD is used for much of the levels of detail and loading of the world but there are other systems in place. Some of these systems also include a spawning system for the AI.

Most of the models and textures I cannot take credit for, though the sword+terrain+level editing is all me. Let me know your thoughts so far!

9. janpec

janpec

Thanks for comment. Seam is intentional on normal map, but after finishing it on finished helmet i am starting to think it might be good decision to flatten it out:D

@briliantgames If this is going on asset store i am defenetly purchasing.

10. homerender

homerender

My demo rooms. More here

$2013-03-26_16-24_bwu31Z2iuiw.jpg $Dark entrance.jpg $Virtual Room.jpg

11. Blacklight

Blacklight

That is beautiful.

12. homerender

homerender

Really?) Thanks)

13. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Most of what what into this project is already on the asset store. ;)

14. janpec

janpec

Celtic one handed sword, still some corrections to be made on texture.

I would just like to get some opinions on how could i approach texture different to achieve looks like this one (on metal only):

Not sure what tricks should be used, my metal textures always come out quite different than what i want to achieve.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  15. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Wow HomeRender really nice work dude! And, Janpec, I actually really like your metal texture on your sword model it feels more cartoony. but thats not the style you are going for. Im not good at doing metal stuff either.

Anyway, I finally finished my Mewtwo remake project. Here is the final render:

16. Schlumpfsack

Schlumpfsack

i have no idea what you want to achive, but your metal texture looks good.
    Are you painting your metal-textures yourself or are you using textures from (example) Cg-textures?
    i noticed that self-painted metal textures look much better, no idea, why, maybe because i have more control.
    What you should do is differ your spec map from your diffuse map.
    i have a base metal-texture (self-painted). the spec-map i rotate 180° or 90°, depends on the model. So if lightning hits the object it gives more interresting variations.

Maybe have a loock at This

or...Racers tutorial (i am sure you already know this)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  17. janpec

janpec

Schlumpfsack thanks a lot for your links and constructive opinion. I have seen already both of those tutorials, the thing is that there really isnt much sword or metal texturing tutorials out there and those two barely cover what i would like to see.

I am painting metal texture mostly by hand, i use plenty images too to help defining some bases but i use a lot of layers in metal textures. Specular texture is painted complety separate from color. The thing is that i am not sure how to achieve this kind of specular reflection as provided on second image, probably it would be wise to use custom shader too. The main thing i want to achieve is robust look for example if you would rotate the swords on second picture you can feel their robustness and power, they feel cold. So thats what i would like to achieve. The only thing i can think of to come closer is darkening color map a bit.

Please if you have some more suggestions go ahead. I need to do plenty of those.

18. Rafael-Barbosa

Rafael-Barbosa

i just think that his legs should be a bit more curved, and a bit more fat, but other than that, looks pretty amazing!

19. Rafael-Barbosa

Rafael-Barbosa

20. Rafael-Barbosa

Rafael-Barbosa

Final Project

Bugatti uv mapped, textured and finished modeled!

482 Tris

$car wip.jpg

Attached Files:

21. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Related a bit to level design, but has an art impact.

So, I've been toying with the idea of not having my levels in The Hero's Journey being pure cross-sections - leaving some things in the way to denote structural things like portals of doors, or areas where a player can reasonably expect to be 'safe' because their vision is obstructed (naturally, I want the player to be capable of seeing necessary things...most of the time.

Here's a sample scene. Are the protruding sections too much? Should I just forget about this idea of leaving some structural vestiges protruding as a visual clue to the player?

$herosjourney-4.png

22. marcos

marcos

New chick, I don't think I can rescue the time-lapse unfortunately.

23. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Thanks Rafael and nice low poly car.

Asvarduil, actually I really like this idea and think you should continue with it. Have you seen the new zelda for 3ds that was announced recently? (The one everybody is calling "A Link to the past 2"). From what I saw in the trailer, it looks like the designers are doing something very similar to what you are trying to do with the protruding areas. Plus this will allow for more possibilities in game. So I think its a good idea.

And Marcos, the chicks you make are hot! As always really good job. Its a nice painting.

One final thing I decided to do with my Mewtwo remake project after the final render is to just make it more low poly and more game friendly. This was pretty easy to do since I had pretty clean topology since I started. So this is how my Mewtwo would look in game. I know its a little too shiny but that is something that can be adjusted and you can just use other shaders like the toon shader for a more pokemon style feel.

I am not working on a pokemon game or going to ever use this model in any of my game projects but I just thought it would be a good test to for me to clean it up and make it low poly.

if you can't see the specs of the model here they are
    verts: 4838
    edges: 9636
    Faces: 4819
    Tris:9632

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  24. augasur

augasur

Almost finished art gallery today.

What do you think? Any criticim, advises or comments would be appreciated :)

Should I leave white color walls or I should change it? Any color suggestions:)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  25. Acumen

Acumen

Just gone around a row of icons for a game - these are all 3d objects, btw :)

26. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

27. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

Been mapping out the world my game is set in. Nearly finished just needs some finishing touches. Placeholder compass.

Done in Photoshop CS6 in about 6 hours.(more like 2 hours of actual work, I couldn't focus)

$Kopie.jpg
    (open in new tab to view larger image)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  28. marcos

marcos

So sick

29. Acumen

Acumen

wuuhuu, thaaaaanks :)
    I fell in love with that toon rendering technique, obviously. Makes quick iterations such a breeze and once scaled down it all looks cute magically :D

30. NiloBR

NiloBR

testing out different shaders...

31. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

NiloBR, I like the second shader more. That is the toon shader right?

Acumen that is awsome. How did you get 3d models to look like 2d icons like that? Really cool.

Asvarduil, I like the feel of the level. It does definitely feel castle-like to me. You should continue the project like this. Also, I like the dialog boxes. Kind of off topic from what you are currently working on in your game but theres something about the character movement that still feels a little weird to me. If you let go of the control the player moves just a little bit more and doesn't stop right away. But keep it up. I like these small web builds you put up to show what new ideas you are playing around with.

32. Acumen

Acumen

33. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

You're right; there should be some inertia to the player, but it's coming out all wrong.

34. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Break from remaking characters, working on an original character of my own. Kind of making things up as I go. Going for a stylized type character

35. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

More progress on my original character. Its pretty much finished at this point.
    I really like how it turned out. I dont know what to call it so I just refer to it as "Original character". I am going for a cartoonish stylized character.

Here is the finished model textured and posed.

I will work on a cool scene and render out a cool image like I did with my mew and mewtwo remake projects.
    Im thinking about maybe using my new character in a future game project.

36. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

Augasur, that looks very nice. The walls do just look a bit bland. Give them some kind of texture, maybe some grit.

37. HolBol

HolBol

Wondering how you sculpt in blender with no nasty seam lines?

38. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

hmm not really sure what you mean. Personally, I always thought Blender had a pretty good sculpting system. I actually really like it and never really had much problems with it. The details on this model such as the clothes wrinkles are part of the normal map I baked out. so this is the finished low poly model after I baked out the details from the sculpt.

I actually used a multi-resolution modifier to do the sculpting this time instead of blender's new dynamic topology. Its more of a personal preference but I found I get better and cleaner results when sculpting on with a multi-res modifier instead of using blenders Dynamic topology. So if your using blender and using dyanmic topology maybe try using a multi res. Again, its more of a personal preference though, a lot of people like the dynamic topology more. When using a multi res, I usually like to sculpt on a resolution of 4. I think I might of got off topic from what you where saying though?

:)

39. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

Just got a my first wacom tablet (a bamboo splash)... having a ton of fun. Figured I'd finally try my hand at this sculpting thing, be gentle :) (clearly a work in progress still)

$first-sculpt.jpg

40. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

just spent a little more time working on my character. Its amazing how much the ambient occlusion can help in a model. I like it, it kind of gives his skin some more detail. and the shadows are nice I think.

I am going to be putting together a very small game project with this character I made. And I mean very small. Its more of a project to show off some of my improvments kind of like that "improvment project" I put up a couple weeks ago.

But this one will be more special. Its going to be like a "welcome to my blog" game, where the game kind of promotes my blog and welcomes users to it. So i will be expanding my blog, and adding in a welcome page, and on the welcome page there will be this small platforming game (this small game project) that you can start playing in my blog that introduces me and my blog, then you enter my actual site/ blog. :)

also I rigged and animated my character. video:

you can test out my new character for yourself here
    WebPlayer

I used the third person controller script on my character so just
    move with arrow or wasd keys, hold shift to run and space to jump.

it will just be a single scene with a very short platforming level. Ill start working on the level soon.

41. Ben-Massey

Ben-Massey

Oh my gosh! That walk animation scared the heck out of me (no offense). His style reminds me a lot of frankinweenie, although im not entirely convinced with your proportions and placement of joints like the knee caps and wrists, maybe try some variations. I think a really dull, floppy, sway animation would be appropriate for his movement. I'm curious to how many tris this character has, doesn't seem game ready like your earlier low poly assets, is this for something els?

42. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Is that your first sculp?

43. janpec

janpec

Keep it up PrimeDetective looks good so far. I have given up my Wacom, i guess i was born to use mouse from start:D

Is this new version of Sculptris? It looks a bit updated.

44. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

Yessir.

What!? That medieval chainmail dude you did with a mouse? That's damned impressive.

I assume its the newest version of Sculptris, I just downloaded it :)

45. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

Very nice!

The Bamboo Splash was also my first tablet (and only currently). I love messing around with it!

46. HolBol

HolBol

It's just whenever I've used Sculptris or blender there's a seam down the line of symmetry. How do you guys go about smoothing it out :)?

EDIT : Like in the above sculpt.

47. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

That one is actually just sculptris highlighting the seam because I still had symmetry mode turned on when I took the screen grab.

48. diegzumillo

diegzumillo

Can you post an example? (the one you mention is an intentional highlight)
    It could be just a matter of smoothing the region with the smooth tool or some other freaky situation, like exporting process messing up with the triangulation etc

49. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Fishman, yeah that is just for symmetry, not really a big fan of sculptris but used it before. After you finish your sculpt in sculptris just turn of Symmetry, this removes that line that goes down the middle. Thats the only way I know how to do it in sculptris but once again I dont really use it to often so maybe there is another way.

As for blender, I never had this line of symmetry seam with blenders sculpting. Maybe it could be because you have a mirror modifier on whatever you are sculpting? before you go to sculpting I think its better to apply your mirror modifier and then enable symmetry in sculpt mode.

50. janpec

janpec

Hehe yeh it was. And all current stuff for Ancient warfare project is done with mouse. I guess i am more robust 3d modeler, prefer grip over flow. Keep it prehistoric adapting is not an option:D

Germanic shield. Done with shields for a bit now, helmet next probably.