Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Small Works Art Thread

Discussion in 'Art Assets In Progress' started by Tim-C, Jul 26, 2012.

1. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Hey, guys... been away from a while (developing a homemade mocap pipeline... been working on a new character to test my VFX on. Today I am spending time working on his armour... the aim for this character is more CG film than games. If Unity doesn't have the vertex count limitations anymore, I would LOVE to have him rendered using the HDSRP

I call him Obsidian Juggernaut and he is 1 of 5 creatures I will be designing for VFX and 3D printing... he is the Tank class of warriors. Can't wait to design his weapon.
    upload_2018-11-9_16-23-52.png

jasperbrooks79 likes this.
  2. KrisHammes

KrisHammes

update : retop near done, just inner mouth, hat and pistol done.

Threw some auto UVs on to do a quick test bake, bake is holding details well :)

Not_Sure and KRGraphics like this.
  3. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I like this one... I'm getting that Arthur Morgan feeling when I look at him

jasperbrooks79 likes this.
  4. KrisHammes

KrisHammes

im missing the bandwagon arnt I, I should be doing cowboys not pirates :D

KRGraphics likes this.
  5. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

IMG_20181110_095308.jpg

Another updated shot of the big guy

6. 101craft

101craft

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  7. Talavaj

Talavaj

Hello guys, I'm working on an environment package for the asset store.
    I would like some feedback on the trees that are going to represent the bulk of the pack.
    The trees in question are 3d renditions of Norway Spruce.
    I'm using substance designer to texture the models, and I can't seem to decide on what look I will settle with for the barks.

The real-life Norway spruce has more of an oval look to its flakes, but I have been debating whether to go with flakes that stretch a little longer to make the trees more visually interesting.
    The longer flakes are also more reminiscent of the typical coniferous bark look, so they might appear more recognizable and seem more accurate in the eyes of the viewer.

Let me know what you think!

trees1.jpg trees2.jpg

florianalexandru05 likes this.
  8. astracat111

astracat111

So after more than 2 years of full time development, my game is finally starting to come together. It's really almost done at this point, considering it's only gonna be an hour or two of gameplay! The problem as usual is having to also work part time jobs and get the bills in while this is going on, and since I'm a low energy person...It's just a really really hard time but almost there to a complete product, even if it'll be buggy to begin with:

Billy4184 likes this.
  9. ClaudiaTheDev

ClaudiaTheDev

@astracat111
    Your demo looks very promising!

Here are some things i liked:
    - The timing system! Good timing can really change the outcome of battle and if you didn't lose with purpose in the second battle it seems very challenging - in a good way!
    - Different camera angles at battle start
    - The battle system looks very good and has a cool nostalgia rpg feeling to it
    - Your commenting is funny ("Du du du") escpecially when you are losing the second battle ("F...", "Gosh") ;-)
    - The cutscenes are nice!
    - Actually it didnt seem to be "buggy" at all

Of course it is the first demo so i don't really know what the game is about but here are some things i noticed that could be polished:
    - The walking part between the battles seems quite long for me - can you actaully do/find something in the areas? Also the character moves veeeery fast! Perhaps making the distance shorter and the walking slower would be better.
    - Are this the final graphics? I think they are cute but could look more professional! Especially when people are considering to buy/download a game the graphics are crucial aspect. I really would invest money or time in the graphics before releasing.
    - I didn't see much of possibilty for strategy in battle but that was perhabs of only the single cross skill - do you have different skills with character weakness and strength?

You said "It's really almost done at this point" so it seems th be near the final result:
    I think you can be really proud of what you achieved so far but really don't rush when the end is near and polish, polish, polish!

Despite my criticism I kinda like your demo a lot:)!

astracat111 likes this.
  10. Will-Morillas

Will-Morillas

Doing a shield for a free update of my classic RPG characters, but I'm not very sure if the artstyle match between armor and shield

EscudBeauty.jpg
    Escudo01.jpg
    Escudo02.jpg

Not_Sure and Slaghton like this.
  11. HotkangChen

HotkangChen

Can I ask you about the relevant workflow? orz.

12. astracat111

astracat111

@Gor-Sky Hey, thanks for the long review Gor. For the graphics I've done the best I can. Believe it or not I want to find an artist for the face sets because right now I think they look the most abysmal. I am doing my best to use bloom lighting and color grading to smooth out the colors, you should have seen what it looked like without them, it looks like some nuclear radiated green. Of course it all needs work as you've said.

The strategy is going to come in when you have two or three characters with multiple abilities. I'm using the League of Legends set of 3 abilities with an ultimate, but the ultimates aren't incorporated into it yet.

This is the second time someone's said that the running is fast, but believe it or not I actually prefer the speed and think it's more realistic. I always find that games have their speeds way too slow and it looks like the character is gliding. Even though it's fast I suppose, the feeling is that you're flying through the woods I guess. Still, it's not too hard a thing to start testing with different move speeds and see what might look better.

Another thing that people have been leaving me is that I really need to start to use proper screen capture.

Now I feel I've gotta leave at least two comments, well:

@Will-Morillas

This looks intense. Do you think that the shields wood texture has a ton of detail as compared to the rest of the character? Even the metal part of the shield seems to have less texture, so it may have just a little bit of inconsistency. I think that the eyes are immediately drawn to the shield rather than the character. If that's what you're going for, though, like detail in the equipped items that seems really clever.

@AkiraWong89

This looks nice, it looks like Minecraft on crack. I really like the bloom off the bridge. I wonder how difficult it would be to have it where you can swim in the water blocks.

13. Deleted User

Deleted User

I needed a different Terrain Tool/ pipeline for my projects & custom unity mobile shaders, something..better.

Got a hold of World machine , I took my old island sat/height maps, and started to Experiment...and realized I can Automate the whole process!!..

I created a Custom Macro.

Any decent sat/height map, throw it in..make a few adjustments, hit build, and couple seconds later, game ready assets..

Still working on it.

Patrick

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2018
    Resin, Mauri, Mister-D and 2 others like this.
  14. Chris3Design

Chris3Design

Recently finished the carpack I have been working on. Waiting for approval from the asset store right now :)

15. StarvingIndieDeveloper

StarvingIndieDeveloper

Space station model (which may be released on the Asset Store along with other spacecraft models if there's any interest):

astracat111 likes this.
  16. StarvingIndieDeveloper

StarvingIndieDeveloper

Another spacecraft work-in-progress (early in the process): medium cruiser. Would there be any interest in buying these models if I put them on the Asset Store? They include custom shaders to make surface details such as the lighted windows in this image (which are generated on the fly).

17. Billy4184

Billy4184

I like the concept, but I think it needs more texture detail and perhaps a baked normal map.

18. the_Bad_Brad

the_Bad_Brad

Working on some small props for my game. This is a vape for enemy izaN soldiers and it explains why they sometimes spew red smoke when idle . The red smoke is a way to alert the player that there is an enemy guarding an area!

VAPE 1.png VAPE 2.png VAPE 3.png

petersx likes this.
  19. StarvingIndieDeveloper

StarvingIndieDeveloper

Most of it isn't textured yet since it's an early work-in-progress. Do you think there would be much interest in a series of these ships on the Asset Store?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  20. Billy4184

Billy4184

To be perfectly honest, I don't think so. The two ships you've shown here have a very unique shape and appearance, and it would be very hard to find other models that fit with them. If you want to make money on the store, I would recommend creating things that fit reasonably well with other popular assets that are in a more classic style such as MSGDI and CGPitbull's work. Also, if you google 'indie space game' most of them are using the classic style as well.

I can't tell you for sure what would go well and what wouldn't but that's how I look at things.

21. StarvingIndieDeveloper

StarvingIndieDeveloper

The difference in art style might be a problem, but I would think that the difference in shape would mean that people might see it as a good way to add some variety for enemy or alien cultures. I could offer multiple textures / art styles to make it more compatible with other assets.

22. Billy4184

Billy4184

The only problem I see is visual compatibility with other assets. If you have enough assets of an unusual style, that's fine, but if all you can find is one or two, or half a dozen, it's not enough to make it possible to introduce that style as a relatively unique element of your game. Again, I'm not 100% certain, but when it comes to making money in a particular market, I think it's good to study it very carefully and not go against a proven formula unless the reasons for it are very sound.

23. f1ac

f1ac

I've been thinking if this should go to art or to programming thread, still not sure. Here's my procedural skybox for Unity/HDRP, made entirely of code and of a star texture.

The shader renders atmospheric scattering of a planet, it is based on a scientific paper by Nishita. Only single scattering is implemented. Everything is done in realtime, all parameters can change every frame, including camera altitude, sun elevation, atmosphere properties etc. Getting about 150fps in 1080p on my GTX970. Spectral rendering and postprocessing is used in the video.

Jonathan-Watkins and petersx like this.
  24. Chris3Design

Chris3Design

25. NoMoreFeelings

NoMoreFeelings

Hello, i decided to make this artwork when i was scrolling some sites for inspiration and i found a couple of works that inspired me on this idea. This is a Terra-Bot, he has a glass terrarium with mushrooms on his top, four legs and a big green power button on his back also in the terrarium he has clovers and stones. Thank you :)

26. lilacsky824

lilacsky824

I am going to recontruct scene in ancient chinese painting.
    Because I am writing a thesis about use Unity engine for landscape visual simulation.
    And restore structure(bridge,wall,building) using Yingzao Fashi published in Song dynasty.

Original Painting
    NBnqeIH.jpg
    Site Plan
    (Sorry. I don`t know how to translate terms to english. So it`s chinese.)
    eVgHb0H.jpg

Bridges and their cad.
    橋建模成果.jpg
    橋細部設計.jpg

Wall and its cad,too.
    版築土露牆.jpg

Resin, Slaghton, astracat111 and 3 others like this.
  27. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

My final tree tech video!

28. lilacsky824

lilacsky824

@AkiraWong89
    Thank you so much.:)
    It should be finished in April next year.

29. Chris3Design

Chris3Design

the_Bad_Brad and puppeteer like this.
  30. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Remaking the grass and small plants while I do the terrains.

Also I think I found a way to use Segi for my real time nature wich is great!

petersx likes this.
  31. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Some more progress! This was just to see how my grass looks on the terrain, will have to properly paint it later.

2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 7.jpg

Mister-D and petersx like this.
  32. Kona

Kona

I've not stayed up to date here on the forums so pardon my late reply but I'm interested in helping. I've only done some smaller fps-prototypes, mainly focused on my main (hack n slash) project for far too many years now-- anyway, send me a PM if you're still working on this and if you're still in need of programmers and we could see if I'm of any use! ;)

Chris3Design likes this.
  33. KrisHammes

KrisHammes

literally just hit submit to submit my latest asset to the store, been a blast to make :)

34. KrisHammes

KrisHammes

he should be on the asset store soonish completely with set up materials and a quick example scene :)

35. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Incoming wip images! Part1

twitchfactor likes this.
  36. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Incoming wip images! Part2

37. Billy4184

Billy4184

I like your work and the way you present them, but I think that some of these assets are lacking the right kind of detail for the way that they are used. Especially in the images where the rocks are far away, they still look kind of the same as they do up close. For cliffs and such I'd recommend a much simpler silhouette with the details popping out as your approach it up close.

florianalexandru05 likes this.
  38. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

That's a good advice, I'll keep note of it on my next pack. I mostly did the cliffs from clumping up small rocks in to them, also I am adding smaller details on my map now so it doesn't look so barren.

Billy4184 likes this.
  39. Enixoid_v2

Enixoid_v2

40. chassets

chassets

Mauri and Slaghton like this.
  41. DimitriX89

DimitriX89

Made a game character, how do you think, can such oldschool style (color texture only) interest customers on Asset Store? Is such level of quality is acceptable as well? I'm aware the polycount is currently ridiculous, it will be optimised in the future

42. DimitriX89

DimitriX89

43. Mister-D

Mister-D

messing around with substance designer

rubble1 and florianalexandru05 like this.
  44. blaher

blaher

45. Jonathan-Watkins

Jonathan-Watkins

screen_1920x803_2019-01-24_13-47-56.png

screen_1920x803_2019-01-24_13-46-39.png

Winter Paradox

Lighting + Composition Study

PatysTy and Lex4art like this.
  46. nasos_333

nasos_333

Working with air-water edge and underwater filtering, for next Sky Master ULTIMATE Volumetric Water version.

Not_Sure likes this.
  47. Slaghton

Slaghton

Wasn't sure to post this in programming or art lol. Just some game dev practice. The character is a unitychan character. I believe only the props shown in the scene were made by me. Rest is other 3rd party assets im using. A lot of coding done though.

Lex4art likes this.
  48. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

My map walk through in all its entirety!

I apologize for the obnoxious walking btw!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  49. Deleted User

Deleted User

The Scout:
    Original Model on Asset Store
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/vehicles/space/scout-spaceship-99221

Improving some models, on sale last holiday season...I am using Quixel Suite NDO/DDO.
    Great topology and 4k Textures, but mirrored UV's. I need them unwrapped.

It took 5 full days to get this point..(It will be faster for the Next FOUR ships, this one $10 bucks...and worth every penny.)

1) Figure out what I wanted, and how to do it.
    ( using Unwrap 3D, I was able to transfer all 4k textures to new UV's)
    2) Create cockpit details, make canopy glass double sided,.
    3) Added landing gear and bays..
    4) Create new normal/AO maps in NDO
    5) Create new materials in DDO
    6) Create new Animations.

and I still have more textures to do..and can and will change colors

more progress..

Which gets rendered to my choice of custom PBR materials.
    Just a sample of the Scout Smart Materials.

and into Unity 2017.3 using Uber and the default color set, next color mask shader, for custom color schemes...then, into the wild blue yonder.

Had to get rid of the numbers and panels on the wings, and re-created physical hull damage, and fine-tuned the wear & tear, dirt, oil residue, etc.
    Player can choose 4 different colors/unlimited color schemes for major parts of the ship.

just the hull and some random colors...

I rendered the base mesh color set white, created masks and packed the textures and created two new shaders:

Base Metal/Illum PBR

Albedo: (RGB) Smooth(A)
    Normal: (RGB) Metal(A)
    Emission: Mask(R) Light Color 1(G) Light Color2(B) Blink MaskA)

+ Base Metal/Illum 4 Colors PBR-----------

Above +
    Colors Mask: Main(R) Main2 (G) HiLight(B) Camo/Stripes(A)

User can choose 2 colors for lights and 4 colors for main materials.

next,I have to get this bad boy in the air..

Unity 2018.3

Patrick

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2019
  50. Mister-D

Mister-D

free knight model