Search Unity

WIP Small Works Art Thread

Discussion in 'Art Assets In Progress' started by Tim-C, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Mister-D

Mister-D

the first rule in 3d and also traditional 3d is that u dont start adding detail if the base proportions arent correct.
    your arms of your character are larger than the legs.arms should be about as large as a leg without the feet and ankle.

2. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

Thank you for the advice. But I think this may only appear this way because of the clothing. In the image below, I've drawn measurement lines from the base of the shoulder to the tip of the finger, and then from the hip joint (which is well hidden up in there beneath the jacket) to the ankle joint. In this case the arms are slightly shorter.

But, in any case, I took the time with the base model to actually draw it out to the real life models scale.

3. Teila

Teila

4. 101craft

101craft

The Jackal - animated logo prototype.

jackal_09.jpg

5. Mister-D

Mister-D

im only trying to help ,this is how it will look if u rig it:
    edit1.jpg
    the red drawn arm is how i would do it

BIGTIMEMASTER likes this.
  6. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

I know you were. Your initial post was a touch condescending, so I felt compelled to defend myself -- but its no bother, you are taking the time to help a stranger and I appreciate it.

So I did a quick test rig, and in a relaxed standing pose the tips of the fingers come just to the bottom of the cargo pockets. In real life, they come to the TOPS of the cargo pockets (edit, not pants), so there is a small problem. I think it is that the forearm is a bit too long, so I'll scoot it up into the sleeve a bit.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    Ippokratis and Mister-D like this.
  7. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Well I have a pretty good idea how to make my tree now, thanks anyway! I tried photoscanning but I can't get it to work properly, I need a better camera and better photos and it takes a lot of time so I just make stuff myself for now. Also, substance is a better alternative, but I'm not really good with it yet.
    ------------

Finished he second bark to but I added less contrast afterwards. Unfortunately these are older screenshots so it doesn't look done:

And just testing how my stuff looks together

Schiznitz3301 likes this.
  8. WhendricSo

WhendricSo

Now if only I can find a spot to park my helicopter...

AndrewGrayGames likes this.
  9. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Hey, guys... been a while since I've posted anything. Been working on shaders for my game using Amplify and I must say, the quality is insane, especially for the eyes and hair. Skin is still Alloy until they add a shading model for skin... my goal for this is to have a suite of shaders at my deposal to push my game details to whatever levels I desire...

This has been a challenge and a lot of fun seeing what I can come up with... Screenshot 2017-12-14 21.22.13.png Screenshot 2017-12-14 20.55.53.png Screenshot 2017-12-14 20.53.04.png Screenshot 2017-12-13 23.18.10.png Screenshot 2017-12-06 23.46.02.png

10. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

I'm gonna re-upload this soon and make it 4$. Remade it with better textures + now every model has 5 LOD levels to it.

nasos_333 and Billy4184 like this.
  11. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

Blocking out a semi-realistic FN Minimi. It will have a lot of the details of a real-liife version, but not so much you could 3d print it and go Rambo.

The older style because those look way cooler than the chunky US Army version.

I'll probably put this on Turbosquid and the Asset Store for a buck or two after I finish and texture. I won't be doing a high-to-low baking method, so it will have some sharp corners but be fine for non-FPS uses. Forum regulars can have one for free if you ask nicely and pass a stringent background check.

Blacklight likes this.
  12. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Made the texture I'll use for twigs and small branches. Now to UV my tree and apply the textures.

13. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

Sorry about the double windows here. Not sure how to get rid of it. It's the same thing in both. This is my first hard surface game model. Not textured yet, but the modeling is done.

There is a glitchy non-manifold face on one side of the handle -- I know.

<div class="sketchfab-embed-wrapper"><iframe width="640" height="480" src="
    " frameborder="0" allowvr allowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen="true" webkitallowfullscreen="true" onmousewheel=""></iframe>

<p style="font-size: 13px; font-weight: normal; margin: 5px; color: #4A4A4A;">
    <a href="
    " target="_blank" style="font-weight: bold; color: #1CAAD9;">Minimi</a>
    by <a href="https://sketchfab.com/BIGTIMEMASTER?utm_medium=embed&utm_source=website&utm_campain=share-popup" target="_blank" style="font-weight: bold; color: #1CAAD9;">BIGTIMEMASTER</a>
    on <a href="https://sketchfab.com?utm_medium=embed&utm_source=website&utm_campain=share-popup" target="_blank" style="font-weight: bold; color: #1CAAD9;">Sketchfab</a>
    </p>
    </div>

14. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

I can see your sketchfab embed code all over the place! ;)
    -----
    Haven't posted for a while and for good reason, I'm researching and improving my tree workflow. I want to have the best tree!

My second twig texture. It's a small detail so it doesn't have to be very detailed and realistic.

Got roots!

And my first sad attempt at leaves.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/rocky-hills-environment-pack-development-thread.381438/page-2

nasos_333 and Mister-D like this.
  15. Mister-D

Mister-D

seams a bit heavy to model out a single branch. u might be better of baking that into a texture as a leaf plane mesh.
    looks good tho!
    have u looked at custom tree importer? it requires every brach to be a single mesh so u will need to make some adjustments if ur gonna use it. i recommend it

florianalexandru05 likes this.
  16. DavidAndreiGabriel

DavidAndreiGabriel

17. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Wow, what's that??
    Oh, the picture mesh must of gotten you confused, I did bake it on a plane, all the screenshots you see are on a plane. I'm surprised I actually got someone fooled, so it does it's job then :eek::D I taught the speed tree shader would give it away. XD

This is the actual mesh:

Oh yeah, I'll study it before I buy it, as long as it has the stuff I need it won't be a problem. I saw you make some trees with it. Did it achieve what you wanted, worth the money?

Mister-D likes this.
  18. nasos_333

nasos_333

Some of my latest work in progress on my sky and grass systems.

RavenOfCode likes this.
  19. DavidAndreiGabriel

DavidAndreiGabriel

20. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

My first tree ever!

RHE_SC-63.jpg RHE_SC-68.jpg RHE_SC-69.jpg RHE_SC-70.jpg

Attached Files:

21. 101craft

101craft

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    RavenOfCode and infinitypbr like this.
  22. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

I really have a problem with adding too much AO so I'll post new updated images that look more natural. What I done so far isn't the final thing and It's far from being finished but here's a sketchfab test!

Attached Files:

23. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Beholder character being animated at the moment.
    beholderWIP.jpg

24. Billy4184

Billy4184

Messing around with lighting untextured stuff in Unity, inspired by the look of the Battlefront 2 space scenes

space.png

25. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

This is the new version of my PBR cave for the pro pack!

26. DavidAndreiGabriel

DavidAndreiGabriel

My first character ever
    Capture.PNG

id0, AndrewGrayGames and Mister-D like this.
  27. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Unity Renders!

CaveRHE_Unity01.jpg CaveRHE_Unity01.png

28. 101craft

101craft

Prototype environments for a past steampunk project.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  29. Billy4184

Billy4184

Playing around with graphics again, using the Space Combat Kit that's being reviewed for the asset store - and getting ready to work on my own game again, Centaurian.

Untitled.png

RavenOfCode and Mister-D like this.
  30. Billy4184

Billy4184

Working on the environments for my game, and having fun with shaders and depth buffers and all that jazz...

Untitled.png

AndrewGrayGames likes this.
  31. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Hey guys! Been a while since I last posted. I took a break, and have decided to try again with VR! Below is a test bed project I'm using to prepare ideas and stuff for my next work, which I'm designing.

VR Proving 01.png
    VR Proving 02.png

As you can see, I was inspired by a mixture of MineCraft, and some Game Boy Advance games. I do have this working on the Google Cardboard/Daydream platform, but I'm only building for my phone at the moment. I wasn't expecting this setup to work as well as it is. There's some stuff I can improve/clean up, but I think there's a great deal of potential here...

Also, I got rid of the unpronounceable user name. Everyone thought I was a french plumber.

Edit: Added a second photo. This one has the human model with optional hair styles. Right now I have four for men and women. Also, I've implemented some animations, so they're not in a default pose.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  32. AlexZimich

AlexZimich

Before I go too far into this, let me know what you think! any comments are welcome :D

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  33. feloxy

feloxy

Hi Lachadonan,

I like the overall design, I feel that the legs are a bit too big, it unbalances the proportions, unless it is on purpose. If that is the case, then maybe convey it in a way that makes sense, something like exo-suit legs or something like that. If that makes any sense. For the proportions, I find these (attached) are good examples and are similar in design to yours. Also, I am getting a female vibe from this, maybe I am wrong but if that is the case then I also attached a female example.

Vince

Attached Files:

34. Billy4184

Billy4184

Had some fun today making a height-based fog image effect... probably won't need it, but might be handy for asteroid fields in my game..

HeightFog.png

35. Mister-D

Mister-D

WIP lean mean killing machine
    mason.jpg

Vashchuk likes this.
  36. 101craft

101craft

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  37. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Hey, guys... So I have been working on a new hair shader in Amplify (Still waiting for Multipass rendering and a custom lighting model such as Marshner) and I love how it is REALLY coming along especially with the quality I am aiming for. Hope you guys like it.

38. AlexZimich

AlexZimich

Thank you I will tidy up proportions with the grab tool in Mudbox

39. Billy4184

Billy4184

Just a random battle axe. Modelled/textured in 1hr30, rendered in Unity..

BattleAxe.png

40. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

I had a physics project where we built a balsa wood bridge. For our write up we needed a diagram displaying the tension and compression on the bridge and I figured why not make a 3D one. About an hour for the whole thing, nothing to fancy. Modeled in Blender and rendered in Unity:
    12_Physics_BridgeForcesDiagram.png

Billy4184 likes this.
  41. Billy4184

Billy4184

42. marcos

marcos

43. 101craft

101craft

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    RavenOfCode likes this.
  44. feloxy

feloxy

Cool, I'm not a pro but for proportions I always try to build over a human body. I'll sketch out the human figure and then add the armor over it, helps keep things in proportions. Also if you have a base model you can work with, that helps a lot too. Keep up the good work !

45. leandroreschke

leandroreschke

I'm an programmer/2D artist from brazil, trying to make my first solo game, i never done realistic texturing before, i always made hand painted textures, but this time i'm trying to make something more realistic but not graphic focused.

it's the first time i'm using substance, i don't know if i'm doing it right, but it looks cool so i'm here now showing it XD. i've done the delighting(idk if i've done it correctly), and made the heightmap input on Krita.

I don't know if it's better for performance add geometry elevation(Problably worst for performance but better looking) or use this tesselation method, but with stardard shader i couldn't get it looking right, looks like a tapestry. It's my first time using something more than diffuse texture.

Captura de Tela (7).png
    Captura de Tela (15).png

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    AndrewGrayGames and RavenOfCode like this.
  46. feloxy

feloxy

Hey,

You could use a mix of normal maps and height maps to achieve a bumpier feel. Here is the Unity Docs for the Heightmap https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/StandardShaderMaterialParameterHeightMap.html In order for the bricks to pop out, you need more definition around each brick, look at the example in the Unity docs.

Also attache an Normal map example.

47. leandroreschke

leandroreschke

Indeed, my attempt to make my first realistic texture was a complete fail, but here is an update. After a couple of hours I decided to make the heightmap texture on Krita, so I imported it to B2M 3 to generate the normal texture. I'm pretty happy with the result, but THANKS for your reply, i will use your tip to improve my normal and height texture.

Captura de Tela (60).png

48. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Been working on a palette for pixel art lately, for a 2d shootemup. Narrowing it down... here's what I have at the moment. I'm considering chopping out one or two rows from this. Also I need to tweak it slightly because e.g. the yellow is not quite 'exactly opposite' to the purple (and other opposites are slightly off). All of these except the bottom row are hue-shifted, and they all blend between black and white. I'm going for fairly high contrast and colorful without being too saturated.

MainColors.png

leandroreschke likes this.
  49. feloxy

feloxy

Nice work!, using tessellation is harder on performance, I tend to not use it unless it's for a very realistic render. For games I usually stick to height map and normal map. I'm no pro but I've been learning these things for a while now and messing around with scenes, optimizing and so on. Here is an example of what Tessellation looks like, this is in Unreal.

50. feloxy

feloxy

You can also use Occlusion Maps, it can help to add depth to your textures. Small example here. Also Unity docs https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/StandardShaderMaterialParameterOcclusionMap.html

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018