Search Unity

WIP Small Works Art Thread

Discussion in 'Art Assets In Progress' started by Tim-C, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Blacklight

Blacklight

2. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

Looks pretty good, but why did you leave the seam on the bottom?

3. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

I like the second one more.

4. canaljuegos32

canaljuegos32

Because i probably will delete that face since i think is not needed. That upload was like a test to see how sketchfab works, and is very nice.

5. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

A little spaceship experiment in photoshop with pixel art and limited palette... for some reason it looks kind of 'sporty', maybe its the stripes.

Temp.png

6. Kona

Kona

I've updated the execution-style action for my game, showed a video of it earlier in this thread but I think my post disappeared after the forum rollback, anyways. Added a look-at target so that the PC would follow the AI with it's entire uper body which solved much of the uglyness from the previous test. Also added bone cracks, splatter and various other sfx to the actions. :)

( Sort of long clip, but I suppose it's easiest to see if fast-forwarding to about 5:10, not so many monsters moving around and also one of the less craptastic animations... will have to work some more on most animations... and the positioning of the PC's hands during the action... xD )

7. NiloBR

NiloBR

Thx so much for the feed back... i guess i have found a middle ground between the two styles... what u think??

Kona, Not_Sure and Whiteleaf like this.
  8. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

Good.

The rocks look the best in this one for sure.

Kona likes this.
  9. Arkhham

Arkhham

10. TheAlmightyPixel

TheAlmightyPixel

Started working on this little guy a few days ago, the plan is to make him fully modular. He's still missing his legs and some stuff from the back. The head might have to go through some changes as well, as it feels a bit too flimsy for what I have in mind.

Arkhham and Whiteleaf like this.
  11. HolBol

HolBol

After a trip to the north of england, I came back with some inspiration and got the tablet out again.

12. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

I envy your drawing skills so much. I don't have a tablet, but I've been using GIMP for almost 4 years now and am pretty good at realistic drawing. Here's a concept logo I did for my brothers band:

I've been getting better but I really need a tablet I think--since drawing with a mouse isn't extremely easy.

13. Blacklight

Blacklight

Get a tablet. It's infinitely better.

14. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

I've been thinking about getting a Wacom tablet or whatever they're called. What would you recommend?

15. HolBol

HolBol

I personally use a cheap chinese brand called Huion, and providing you can get the drivers working properly, I've had no other problems (other than pen breaking accidents).

16. Blacklight

Blacklight

I've only used the Wacom's Bamboo and Intuos Pro. Wacom does excellent tablets but they do tend to be quite pricey and often come with a lot of stuff that just gets in the way (the touch aspect from my Intuos is nothing but an annoyance). I can't speak for the quality personally, but a few artists I've followed and one of my old teachers say that Monoprice tablets are on par with Wacoms but much cheaper. You'll have to do a little research on your own but a good tablet is an excellent investment.

17. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Took a short break after releasing my potato game on steam, but I am back into it now and started working on my next game. It will be a toon styled game about a vampire who.... well... umm... I don't know yet! I haven't thought that far ahead yet. But it will be vampire kind of game! XD

here are some extremely early wip screenshots:

This last screenshot is from a working prototype I made. Maybe I will put up a video soon or new episode of cookin games.

Kona and Whiteleaf like this.
  18. Billy4184

Billy4184

Practicing modelling and procedural pbr textures, random ammo box from some pic I found on the net - rendered in Substance designer

DeleteThis.png

19. Takkik

Takkik

Improving my substance designer skill. Exposed some paramters like % of damage.

And the node graph of DOOM. Need to improve my Optimisation skill !

Lu3DLC, Buhlaine, LeftyRighty and 2 others like this.
  20. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

I was bored so I made a Reflex Sight, vert flat/sharp but bevel and subdivsion surface looked very weird so I might manually smooth it out. No texture or material.

It took about 15-20 mins or so.

iamthwee and snowconesolid like this.
  21. iamthwee

iamthwee

@Whiteleaf are you following this workflow?

Subsurf isn't for hard edged geometry shapes.

22. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Nope, never even heard of that. It's super useful though, I never knew boolean had so much potential haha. It was an issue with some of the verts, even though they were aligned properly and the faces weren't 5 verts (I heard you should only have 4 verts per face, is that correct?). I fixed it just now after watching that video; I messed around with the bevel options and it looks a lot better now. Here's an updated screen:

Still no texture but I added a material (mixed, diffuse and glossy) so it looked better.

iamthwee likes this.
  23. iamthwee

iamthwee

@Whiteleaf oh yeah that's looking much better now bro, one more thing if the eye piece is supposed to be more smooth, I'm guessing it's a circle that you've hollowed out, when you add the circle you need to crank up the number of segments. This is found on the menu on the very left hand side.

24. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Yeah I noticed that, too. I'll smooth it out tomorrow, I'll probably texture it as well. I would have turned on the 'smooth' rendering for it but it makes it look weird, I don't know why but some of the edges are split from the face it's connected to.

25. TheAlmightyPixel

TheAlmightyPixel

It depends. If you're making a high poly model for baking, you can use n-gons if it shades/smooths correctly (if it looks good, it is good). If you're making a game res version, you'll want to make the topology as clean as possible. You can use triangles in the low poly to make the shapes that would normally require an n-gon.

26. iamthwee

iamthwee

Yeah it's a difficult one, I'm not sure smooth works so well on hard surface models.

With organic models you want to keep quads, which is why they say don't triangulate and keep a clean topology, but it's difficult to get your head around.

An example would be the monkey head in blender. When you subsurf that it looks good, because the base mesh is clean-ish.

BTW I saw your amnesia clone looks to be coming on quite nicely.

Whiteleaf likes this.
  27. TheAlmightyPixel

TheAlmightyPixel

Alright - making slow progress, trying to really push my limits with this one. This guy's gone through several changes, though I like where the project is going.

Feedback is more than welcome :)

Whiteleaf and Billy4184 like this.
  28. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Thanks! I've currently paused my clone for a few reasons, 1) I'm not into horror much atm as I was when I started that and 2) I was having performance issues, and it's not my scripts it's just my computer (?) or Unity. So I'll continue it when I get a new graphics card and when I'm back into horror games.

29. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Made an EO-Tech sight in about 30 mins this time, I'm not 100% happy with it considering bevel wasn't working (tried the same settings and looked up more solutions for it, the bevel is suuuupppeerrr small).

30. Billy4184

Billy4184

@Whiteleaf what you need to do:
    • Add a Bevel Modifier with the Limit Method set to Weight.
    • Unselect the Clamp Overlap on the modifier, this is probably why the bevel is so small.
    • Go the the right-hand menu in the 3D view (can't remember what it's called, toggle with the 'N' key) and scroll down to edge bevel weights. Highlight the edges that you want to bevel and adjust the weights (smaller weight means sharper bevel).
    'Clamp overlap' basically prevents the bevel from making a mess of the mesh, but restricts the bevel size to the smallest one that it can achieve on the mesh without any overlap, which is probably one of the screwheads or something - this is probably why the bevel ended up so small.

With the limit method on 'Weight', and clamp overlap unselected, you can adjust bevel sizes on each edge to your heart's content, but it's up to you to make sure that it doesn't do any weird stuff.

Good luck!

Whiteleaf and iamthwee like this.
  31. iamthwee

iamthwee

32. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

@iamthwee wow! That's really useful, thanks! I didn't even know that existed.

@Billy4184 Thanks, keep that in mind. :)

Just around 30-40 mins ago I finished most of the base model of a Thompson M1A1 submachine gun; tomorrow (or sometime on the weekend because I've been realllyyy busy) I'm going to uv-map it, texture it, make normal maps and finish the rest of the model (details, polish and I forgot a few super important features on the gun).

iamthwee likes this.
  33. iamthwee

iamthwee

Nice one bro.

[WIP] The Horror Room

I remember I went to town on modelling the gun for my game, but when you see it in FPS mode all the little details are barely noticable, kinda wasted my time a bit haha.

Whiteleaf likes this.
  34. Pumpkoffee

Pumpkoffee

Hi, everybody, we just finished the art concept for our first Unity game. The project is basically a 2D point and click horror game.
    Please, tell me what you think. Any feedback is very appreciated. :)

Not_Sure, snowconesolid and Whiteleaf like this.
  35. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

This is awsome. I love the style. Want to see more of this.

36. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

What I find interesting here, and this reminds me of a famous painting as well, is that the perspective in the image is not 'correct'... and its appealing. I like how the mat on the floor doesn't look right. Like how the tent in the corner seems to come forward too far on the near edge. How the bed doesn't get wider properly as it comes closer to the camera. You could quite literally turn this into an 'art style' for a 3d game... but I'm just wondering how you could accomplish that by bypassing the proper coordinate system.

37. Blacklight

Blacklight

38. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

This is oddly satisfying to look at.
    Great work! :D

39. Billy4184

Billy4184

Screenshot.png

Screenshot2.png

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
    JamesArndt and Blacklight like this.
  40. Lu3DLC

Lu3DLC

sooooo I kinda got lost in the forum changes and well, haven't been able to provide some updates (cause I'm blind XD) anyway, hope you like the progress for the 3LE Low Poly Environment Pack 2, which will be submitted to the asset store here soon: Snow Fields.PNG Boulders_Flowers_Rocks.PNG Bare and rocks.PNG Trees and Grass - In Progress.PNG Trees_Mountains_Fields.PNG

41. TheAlmightyPixel

TheAlmightyPixel

Looks cool, though your space ships kind of look like they're made of plastic at the moment (if that's what you were going at then ignore me). They lack the high glossiness and reflectiveness that makes something look metallic.

The normals look good, though I feel like you could've slapped on an AO map - right now you have lots of parts that just stick out of each other without having a socket or a connector of sorts, and an AO map would make the model feel more intact. The AO would bring out the normals nicely as well :)

The meteors look great though.

Nice work man!

42. Billy4184

Billy4184

@TheAlmightyPixel thanks for the critique!

Yeah the fighter materials are way too mat and clean, the roughness was actually turned way up in the editor due to the bright reflections being annoying when flying around, but recently tweaking tonemapping helped that a lot. So I'm re-doing the materials, and I've decided to take a different approach - rather than texturing the ship and then sending it to Unity, I'm building up the library of materials and checking them out individually first in the scene, here's one eg:

MatTest.png

Materials have never been my strong suit, so I'm still not great at it hehe.

Point taken on the AO, that's definitely going to be fixed.

Cheers

43. TheAlmightyPixel

TheAlmightyPixel

@Billy4184

Yeah, metals are tricky to make - but they all follow the same principles. Here are some resources which helped me with metals especially:
    http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/pbr-practice
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/material-studies-metals (useful for base values)

Also, you'll want to get lots of reference of the materials you're trying to create. Google is your friend - also a free program called PureRef is extremely useful when working with reference images. Usually just by looking at a photograph of a material you can get a general idea of what the correct values are.

Good luck with the project!

44. Billy4184

Billy4184

@TheAlmightyPixel, that's painted metal btw - it's much harder to make it not look like just plastic, since the pbr values have to follow the paint. From what I've seen the texture and grunge type has to be spot on and usually some chipping and flaking is added, though it doesn't suit the pretty clean style I'm going for.

I'm aiming at something like Everspace, i.e., not entirely realistic, a bit more arcade/bright/flashy. Also I've used some Star Citizen pics as reference, I think they use a higher metalness even though it's painted.

I think painted metal, especially without a lot of grunge, is probably the hardest texture to make! Anyway, I'm going to post a close-up of my ship when I'm done.

Cheers

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
    zugsoft and TheAlmightyPixel like this.
  45. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

After watching a simple tutorial for easy low poly arms, I made this in around 20-30 mins:

And yes, the game is for mobile which is why they're such low poly. What's even weirder is that the tutorial was super common sense and simple yet it made my arms look 1000x better.

Literally though, the entire tutorial was him shaping out an arm from a sample image. Extruding, rotating and scaling. It was so simple and I guess I should use reference images because my older fps arms took me twice as long and looked way worse.

Master-Frog and iamthwee like this.
  46. Pumpkoffee

Pumpkoffee

Thanks a lot for your feedback and interest in our little project. Honestly, our intention is, actually, to give it a more artistic style, something more hand drawn. You've made quite interesting points there, ones that gave us new ideias and a new perspective of our own work. So, thanks again for that.

Anyway, I'm quite curious about the concept of turn this into an art style for a 3D game. Can you explain this ideia a little better? It's not the intention by now, but I'm really intrigued.

47. TheAlmightyPixel

TheAlmightyPixel

Finished the high poly for my robot character:

Modular Robot High Poly.jpg

Next up is to make a weapon for the guy, this is the progress after 4 or so hours:

Assault Rifle 01.jpg

I'll make the low poly versions of both models after I've finished the high poly versions.
    Feedback is welcome as always :)

Billy4184 likes this.
  48. Billy4184

Billy4184

They both look fantastic, esp the robot - only thing is the robot has a bit of that early scifi look whereas the gun looks slightly more modern by comparison. Not sure it's an issue, but just something that popped into my head. When textured they'd probably look much more cohesive together.

Looks like it'll be a fun bake hehe! How do you approach that, explode the parts? It's a pretty time-consuming part of my workflow.

49. banditos

banditos

Wow.. looks so clear, what ur AA filter if i may ask?

50. banditos

banditos

Here we go, my little progress. Still struggle to do pbr right. Clothes clip like crazy, no cloth self collision is very disappointing.

Unity 2016-08-02 11-10-43-48.jpg Unity 2016-08-02 11-10-20-46.jpg