Search Unity

(WIP) SkateGame2

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Light_, Aug 14, 2016.

1. Light_

Light_

I made my first game using Unity and put it on Itch called Sewer Skater. Its terrible but the purpose was to complete a working game.

Now I'm on to another skateboarding game (don 't know what to call it yet). What we need is Skate 4 and since there is no news of that happening I thought I'd try to fabricate my favorite parts of playing skate into a new iteration.

As I have gotten older, my preference for video games (and my limited leisure time) has shifted to a more relaxed state with emphasis on social interaction. I love a good MMO. Sadly, as of late MMO's are losing that sense of community, a need to be social (in my opinion I didn't mean to start an argument :p).

Anyway, my favorite part of the skate. franchise was, just skating around a spot with my friends online. We would use Voip and set up "races" or play the in-game mini games of skate or best trick. I loved it.
    So that's the vision, to recreate an online multiplayer skateboarding game, the spots can be small as long as they are genuinely fun to skate.

I'm about a month into the project, just prototyping the physics of the player, and having a blast!
    Training Grounds.png
    Here is the playground. You can't see but there is a bowl area to the right. I really enjoy 3d modeling (dreaming of a full time job lol) so I'm trying to get the scripting and animations out of the way first so I can just enjoy building rad levels! The player is the board at the moment, as I want physics to effect it solely, the skater person will be a child object.

I have a "skate shop" built in Blender, with the intention of letting the player customize their deck, wheels, and trucks, I'd upload it but the file I have is too large atm.

I absolutely hate texturing! Art is very difficult for me, also I don't have a drawing tablet so drawing with a mouse is no fun for me :( . I reached out to friends and fam hoping to get some sketches for decks and wheels from them to help alleviate the load. When nobody responded I thought to myself, "maybe try out the internet for some input and feedback about this project." Thus here I am. I'm normally a bit shy for forums and the internet is prolific with "dumb" lol. But, I had to dive in, the community has been so helpful in the Unity Answers section, it gave me the courage to post over here.

So anyway, terrible intro for a project I'm sure, but I'm hoping to make some friends, and bounce my ideas off of all of you.

ephor and GarBenjamin like this.
  2. Light_

Light_

Geebus Christ on a Raft man! If blender and Unity don't sort out which normals face out I'm going to bash my face on the wall. It seems like every mesh I import lately has an odd arrangement of normals facing the wrong way! Killing me smallz!

3. khos

khos

Good luck man, just wondering, did you get the normals sorted out?
    Have you considered using some of the assets you can get for mesh editing in Unity editor, maybe that might help? I'd be interested to hear how you tackle the convex shape of halfpipes meshes and colliders on the wheels, how do those behave?
    Have you got a video of gameplay to share?, I'd love to see some?

4. ephor

ephor

always hyped on games like these. loved skate series and grew up on the thps games.

I'm a software developer by profession but only just starting to try my hand at games. I would love to help you with the project if you want? when I've got some more practice :p