Search Unity

Assets [WIP] Shmup Baby A.K.A "Shoot 'Em Up Creator"

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by EbalStudios, Feb 19, 2018.

1. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

A quick update to let you guys know we are still busy working on the package.
    Recent things we've done or are planning to do:
    • Improved the curve wave, when testing we realized ships didn't have exact constant speeds, we changed the script to improve it in an optimized way.
    • Generic save and load manager for levels progress and settings.
    • Still rewriting the script, organizing it more and adding comments (need to write infinite level script and rewrite radial and missile weapons) and to add a visual upgrade option (player changing shape with upgrades).
    • After testing we realized we still need to change the organized wave a bit and add more flexibility to it. (The sort of wave that spawns from specific locations with no curve movement).
    • Will also add a UI enemy type, enemy will stay away from player and fire in its direction. (firing at player will be a component you can use with any weapon, after testing we felt we must add it)
    • Still have to build and test all levels and the script. which afterwards we can finalize the documentation and the tutorials.
    Next update will share some footage and the schedule, we have put so much effort into this one but looks like it will still take more work to finish.

Thank you everyone for the support. will keep you posted.

limo and Neviah like this.
  2. Neviah

Neviah

Can't wait for the footage. I want to go crazy with this asset hah!

EbalStudios likes this.
  3. DrOcto

DrOcto

We all are waiting like sharks in a pond for it :D:D:D:D:D take you time. It is better to do it right the first time because its the biggest smile then ;):D then we can make new suggestions or making a wish list and of course we want that footage also:D

EbalStudios, Neviah and limo like this.
  4. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

Thanks!! working on a workaround for the boss now, can't wait to have this script uploaded.

DrOcto likes this.
  5. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

Ok! So we had planned to have the package uploaded by now........but..... things are taking more time than initially expected :eek:, good news is we almost finished all of the scripts and are only polishing, testing, building levels and improving things.
    But the more we do testing, or come up with small new features, the more re-writing and improvements we need to do.
    We have now a visual upgrade system, and completely re-written our missile weapon system which gives you greater customization.
    And as you can see from this video we have improvised a temporary way "for now" for a boss,, it's a workaround and not an actual boss system but it probably can give the user some flexibility.

Will share soon the 2D levels we are building, and later will be finishing the documentation and tutorials for the final release.

Please bear with us while we finish this script, the delays usually mean we are working hard to improve things, or that we figured something that needs to be fixed, we would like to release it yesterday :D But we are almost there. Thank you everyone for following this thread, we will try to make the first release to be as polished as possible and well worth your time.

6. DrOcto

DrOcto

Very very nice!!!!:D I see its a mix from 2d and 3d parts or I am mistaken? Will you have a script that do something like a shop where you can buy or upgrade you ship (color, size, design or weapons initially) it does not need to be a ship its just as it is right now in you video off course (I have something else in mind for it ;)). Can the background bee also animated? What i mean now it looks like a layers that are still or moving like parallax effect but what about animated gif or video as a background in some layer off (maybe an animated sprite sheet). Waiting for you 2D levels they must look good also like this is! Thank you and you team for bringing nostalgia back to us all! Btw have been looking on you other stuff and videos. Hat down to you all;) Bravo!!!

EbalStudios likes this.
  7. Neviah

Neviah

Oh my god, I'm in love with this so far! The boss was epic! Definitely need to have the music change when the boss appears (epic fight music)!!!!
    Imagine this with some camera shake when you die, or kill enemies. zomg!

EbalStudios, DrOcto and limo like this.
  8. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

Man, it really warms the heart to read your messages :) Yes, you can use an animated background or animated sprites layer, there will be a main menu scenes with a ship selection. so we will have the base we need for further additions, and maybe we can add the shop or customization at later stages.
    Hopefully the 2D levels we are making now, while not as long as this one; will show different usages for the script.

The sound for the boss, is a must I have to admit, it can be added but we don't have any music that we can license yet, maybe we will get in touch soon, with Ryan Klem who produced the amazing soundtracks we have been using so far.
    So many little touches here and there that can improve this package.

Tareq, (a 3D/2D artist) who had helped us so much in making the artwork for this package. Just finished improving the intro background layer for the vertical space demo, (attached below). Stay tuned and thx again for the messages!

Attached Files:

9. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

A sneak peak into one of our demos, still not finished, the boss at the end still needs weapons and calibration and few more polishes for the whole level here and there.

The remaining demos we are making (Horizontal space, infinite survival illustration style space, turtle, and underwater) will have shorter gameplay but will try to demonstrate different aspects of the script with them.
    About 5,000 lines of code so far. That's why commenting, documenting and organizing things is taking time.

Hopefully next week we can show some more of the demos and later maybe a screen grab of how the package works.
    :cool:

Edit: Just noticed the health bar at the end of the game doesn't scale, we are fixing it as I write this.

DrOcto, Neviah and limo like this.
  10. DrOcto

DrOcto

I like it !!!! :D the other underwater is the one that I am interested the most.

EbalStudios likes this.
  11. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

Thanks! Building assets for it now, hope we can share something by the end of this week and if not by the beginning of next one. We are trying to implement different techniques with every demo scene.

Just added a simple AI mover (enemy moves away from player), and also an infinite level controller. stay tuned :D

DrOcto, limo and Neviah like this.
  12. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

Few more demos, underwater, turtle and the old neon blaster.

These are somewhat simpler than the first vertical space demo and the fighter jet one. Incorporating so many features in every demo scene would be taxing. We also wanted to make some very easy demos to follow and have an easier to understand player and enemy prefabs without visual upgrades, or directional sprites changers.

We are doubling up on our efforts to finish this, steadily getting there. :)

DrOcto, indie_dev85 and limo like this.
  13. Neviah

Neviah

I really love everything you showed. Flying turtle though has got to be the funniest, hah!

Anywho, how do the mobile controls work?
    What would make the player move, and player shoot?
    Will there be onscreen GUI's that represent a joystick, and a fire button?
    Will you implement particle effects for when bullets make contact with the enemies? or bullets make contact with ourselves? More player feedback = better imho.
    Will you add the option to watch a video Ad if the player dies to continue from where he died, or not watch the video, and repeat the whole level?

Just throwing some stuff at you. Following this like a hawk!

14. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

Thank you Didier! :):):)

Mobile controls are based on touch, player always shooting and your touch moves the player (similar to sky force). Player and enemy particles effects are implemented, but we only added them to two demo levels, the space vertical and the underwater one, we probably need to show them more clearly.

The first version still has no ad system implemented whatsoever :oops:, we know this is a huge drawback. but it will be in the next updates, just so many things to do that we never got round to it, and now we are trying to ship as soon as possible.

Maybe in our next update can show how the player, enemies, and all the different elements work with the modular scripts. Thanks again Didier, you really are helping us focus on the important bits and pieces.

Neviah and limo like this.
  15. MinhDao

MinhDao

This looks awesome!
    I have one question. Does it support make a full 3d Shmup like skyforce?

Thank you!

EbalStudios likes this.
  16. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

Thanks!
    At the moment this package is closer to 2.5D than full 3D. There are couple of things that our first release is still missing to make a Sky Force replica:

- 3D background, the camera and layering system is now based on an orthographic camera and not a perspective one like Sky Force, and while you can use 3D objects in the background; the system currently used does not support 3D scrolling background scenes. (Currently our system is great for layering 2D layers but not suitable for a 3D scene).

-Easy to use boss system, we used workarounds to get a boss working, but it's still relatively limited to what Sky force has.

The above with the Ad system and API are top priorities for us and we hope to get a chance to work on them right after release but can't yet promise a date on when we will add these features.

But on the other hand we probably have a feature or 2 that Sky Force doesn't have like a visual upgrade system :D
    This demo is probably a good demonstration of what you can do with the package

DrOcto and Neviah like this.
  17. Luke-yang

Luke-yang

where can i buy this assert ? thanks

EbalStudios likes this.
  18. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

It's still not up on the asset store, please stay tuned to this thread, we will try to keep it as updated as possible on the progress we are making.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    Neviah likes this.
  19. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

Wow. I just stumbled on this. I'm quite interested in this.

It'd be cool to be able to create endless shooters like River Raid. Regardless, this looks great.

EbalStudios likes this.
  20. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

Hey Steven! we are more than happy to read these messages and know there is some interest; gives us a real push forward and ideas for what you guys want.

River Raid is something that our package can certainly do something similar to, we have an infinite level controller, so endless shooters are not a problem. I am just thinking of the player speed control and slowing down effect when refueling in river raid, we could use the speed upgrade but with a negative value but not sure if it will work the same. Have to test it.

Anyways maybe soon we can share a mini video tutorial on the package, the voice over and everything will be far from perfect but should give you a better idea on how things are put together.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    StevenPicard and DrOcto like this.
  21. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

Alright, so another update. This is more of a revision of what we have done so far.

Note: this video and voice recording is not an indicator of how the tutorials are going to be, I've just recorded this one quickly for this thread only. We will try to make the final tutorials of a much higher quality.

Thanks for watching!

Neviah and DrOcto like this.
  22. DrOcto

DrOcto

Lovely and not a forced presentation! There is nothing wrong with the voice over also so don't take it so hard on you! The manual is well over 100 pages damn when should i read all that :eek::):D. Tomorrow starts my holiday so will be in full power in time for testing :D. The options are what i have seen very nice and excessive at the same time. Like it, loots to play and test. Does it play nice with other asset for particles? Like the one from Mirza.

EbalStudios likes this.
  23. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

To be honest, we would love if we had some of the experience you guys have had with all sorts of different packages, but we mostly been focused on art packages when we started out and didn't get much of a chance to try so many of the plug-ins out there, but just added testing Mizra on our to do list.

Yes, I agree 100 pages are a lot (ask my keyboard :) ), but you won't have to read them! will make a few video tutorials that explain everything but the reference is there just in case some thing is not clear or not working or you are wondering what that check box is for or if it wasn't behaving as you supposed it to; you can look up the item and see an explanation of every thing you need.

The options are too many, UI/UX is an art in and of itself, we probably could do a better job at how things are laid out, but some things we really couldn't avoid, if a developer wants a feature there must be a way to control it, so it was really a tough call in many of the things we added, but maybe as we keep growing and updating this package we can improve it more.

I had some issues with voice over when I first started a youtube channel where some viewers didn't like the voice over, then I hired a voice over artist for it, and they liked it even less! so been trying to do it myself but been trying to improve it bit. So thanks a lot for the compliment and confidence boost!

24. anhtuan1911

anhtuan1911

Any word on when this will be released?

25. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

So far the plan is that after 2 to 3 weeks to upload it to the asset store for approval.

Neviah and StevenPicard like this.
  26. DamonScaggs

DamonScaggs

Is this project still planned to be released? Any time frame?

27. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

Hi Damon, Yes!
    Please accept our apologies everyone for the delay so far in release. We have underestimated the amount of work needed to finish this package and been on a steep learning curve. But we are getting there!

At this stage we really are finalizing the final pieces together and testing that it's all working with no problems. Simple things as improving the missile system for example meant that we had to rewrite a big chunk of the script. and many small things like that added up to our release time.

As mentioned earlier, we need about 2-3 weeks to upload the package and from there it's up to the guys in the asset store for the release time.

Thanks a lot everyone for your patience and interest in this package, we really do feel grateful for everyone who has shown interest.

DrOcto, StevenPicard and Neviah like this.
  28. DrOcto

DrOcto

From the last video you are making great progres. Everbody who is realy interested can see it. I am in broadcast media for almost 25 years. Seen and heard everything so trust me you are doing it just fine like you presentation also. Today everybody wants instant suceses and instant satisfaction and thats the problem with everything to not go deeper. You and your team are on a right path with this asset! For me personally it is a ride on a memory lane. Was playing the original Pac-man and Phoenix so for me it is back to youth again and ok well maybe making a buck or 2 on a way also ;)

EbalStudios likes this.
  29. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

How are things going? Hopefully, everything is on track. :)

EbalStudios likes this.
  30. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

ShmupBaby_LargeTN.png
    So maybe we don't have all the features you dream of and a little late on schedule.......But, we have a nice catchy name for our package :D:D:D

Just uploaded the first video tutorial, the rest will follow later on and will try to cover the package as much as we could:

I just need to finish the trailer and the tutorials and our awe-inspiring developer to fix very tiny and minuscule bugs and this package should be off to the asset store approval.

Hang in there, next update should be either, a notification that we uploaded the package, or the trailer.

StevenPicard, DrOcto and Neviah like this.
  31. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

And this attached is a PDF of all the components that you can use in our package and how they are connected.

Attached Files:

32. DrOcto

DrOcto

Hahhahahaha Shmup Baby. GREAT funny and crazy name! It will now stick in my brain:D:D:D:D it is childish i know but i can not help myself. Liked the tutorial and the PDF diagram. Very nice indeed!

EbalStudios likes this.
  33. rpodosek

rpodosek

Oh man this is so epic! Great first tutorial vid too, it all looks really intuitive.

EbalStudios likes this.
  34. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

limo, Neviah, DrOcto and 1 other person like this.
  35. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

This is great news! Can you tell us what the intro cost will be?

36. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

Thanks Steven, we will be selling the package now at 30$. But once we make sure everything is working fine and we finish up couple more features, the price will be changed to 59$

DrOcto likes this.
  37. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

Are you able to release some ideas of the planned upcoming features? I'm quite interested in seeing what direction you hope to take this.

Anyways, I plan on being an early adopter. This asset was one of my planned final asset purchases from the store. I have only a few left and then I'm done.

EbalStudios and DrOcto like this.
  38. DrOcto

DrOcto

The pond was breached :D:D:D:D:D and sharks sorry SHMUP BABY is out ;). Great trailer. Now the waiting ufff :D

EbalStudios likes this.
  39. indie_dev85

indie_dev85

Wow congrats to your team for publishing such a great asset.Now eagerly waiting when it will be live on the store.:D:D:D

40. Neviah

Neviah

I can't believe this is happening! Been waiting so long, it's gonna be great! I wish I could hug you rofl

Also, the trailer is bad@$$!

41. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

Guys, your responses are so overwhelming :oops:, we don't know what to say. Just hoping you have the same beat after you try the package. :D

Was having a discussion with our developer on what to do next with Shmup Baby, and I was like let's just chill for a day and talk about it after the weekend.

But things we have mind to do next:
    - Complete the tutorials
    - Adding tutorial scenes and making more demos ( now we don't even have a proper example for the infinite survival mode.)
    - API
    - There is an issue of small gaps between the backgrounds that happens randomly (it's not that common but we spotted it few times, and it is exacerbated if you play a heavy graphical game on a slow mobile.). It looked like it will take quite a while to fix so we released before fixing it 100%.
    -Laser weapon
    -Ground targets.
    -Boss system.
    -Putting a webGL game online and android app as examples.
    -Maybe reorganizing some of the script core, like our objects control component.
    -Maybe adding more debug logs to the script so that if you forget something, the script tells you exactly what it is.
    -Complete 3D capabilities? now it's 2.5D with the background being 2D.
    -Maybe afterwards to make one super awesome complete game, something like skyforce and focus on that.

The last couple of months have been particularly taxing especially for our developer who had to really go though a lot of modifications and headaches to get this done, but most importantly we are waiting for your feedback to know what our priorities will be. We don't want ot focus too much on one thing only to realize that all of you guys desperately need an important fix or a small feature that can be a game changer.

So it's all up to you guys to let us know what to work on next, Later I will update the released thread to better explain the limitations and our options for the future updates and maybe make a poll for it, your input is super important and will determine what direction this package will take.

I will also make other video tutorials reviewing the package and showing any limitations it might have.

Thank you sooooooooooooo muuuchh everyone, when starting this thread we didn't know if we would get any replies. And boy are we thrilled to hear from you. Next step for me will be the tutorials after the weekend!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
    DrOcto, Neviah and StevenPicard like this.
  42. Wandersoul

Wandersoul

Man, this looks great. I'd love to hear when you do a beta/early access/asset store release.

EDIT: Whoops - missed the publish post. Excellent!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
    EbalStudios likes this.
  43. anhtuan1911

anhtuan1911

Awesome. Good luck, looks like an a great asset, I will definitely be purchasing this in the future.

EbalStudios likes this.
  44. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

Thanks guys, hope the asset is approved and up on the store soon.

Neviah, DrOcto and StevenPicard like this.
  45. UsBrit

UsBrit

This looks fantastic and cannot wait to get my hands on it. Great Work.

EbalStudios likes this.
  46. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

It's on the Asset Store now.

Neviah and EbalStudios like this.
  47. MinhDao

MinhDao

Cool! I still hope it supports 3D soon

Neviah and EbalStudios like this.
  48. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

Yeeeeeees!
    We can't believe it ourselves, but it's finally up on the store: https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/templates/systems/shmup-baby-128937

Thank you so much Steven, you were the first to spot it on the store :):):)
    We are so thrilled to see it up there, we just hope that it actually meets your expectations, I still need to finish few more video tutorials!! and need to make a review video of the asset as well.

Again guys, can't thank all of you enough, it really felt like you were part of the crew for a while. Lots of work to start with now, fixing any thing that you might encounter, making the API, web demo, ground targets, laser weapon, 3D level support, etc..

We tried our very best with this asset, but it's very likely that we have missed a thing or 2, or that we have grown too accustomed to it that we didn't notice basic things that need to be done differently, if there is anything you need help with please do not hesitate to let us know.

This new released support thread will take over this WIP one and we will try to keep a watch on it as much as possible:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/shmup-baby.557059/

(Shmup Baby dancing :cool::eek::D:D:);):) )

49. DrOcto

DrOcto

Congratulations on leaving the Baby out :):D;) to grow up now with all of us. Big thank you for the voucher also. Have busy week but sunday is close ;) will report with big smile.

limo and EbalStudios like this.
  50. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

Alright Everyone, so I think we can say this thread is now officially closed :rolleyes:
    All support questions and updates discussions will be on this thread: https://forum.unity.com/threads/shmup-baby.557059/

Anyways, guys, if anyone can still make a review we would really appreciate it :D:D:D
    This is a link for the asset if you are linking for a speedy way to make a review :);):
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/templates/systems/shmup-baby-128937

See you on the support thread and will try to keep those updates coming. :cool::)

Neviah likes this.